• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont get the ADS hate. Have you already played the beta or is it more prejudgement?
I actually didnt felt a difference between the old scope and ADS. Actually I though it doesnt irritate that much when you get descoped than before.

MouldyK

Not a gimmick in CE at all. Being able force a weapon to you rather than sticking your neck out is a pretty big deal when it comes to not dying.

If they keep this mechanic in Halo 5 you bet it will be used by the top players.

Here are some Skype things about it:

fells more like a gimmick to be honest

Well it devalues weapon placement

You don't have to risk going to the center & being exposed to get the sword for example

But if you say pros will use it, then surely it wouldn't be a gimmick and instead another skill you can master.

Seems Halo 5 is slowly becoming one of them "Easy to play, Harder to master"-sorta deals, which is nice.

tootsi666

I dont get the ADS hate. Have you already played the beta or is it more prejudgement?
I actually didnt felt a difference between the old scope and ADS. Actually I though it doesnt irritate that much when you get descoped than before.
It's change for the sake of change. Why change if it works 100% the same? And it doesn't work 100% the same. There is now a long animation instead of almost instant zoom and that feels uninuitive and not Halo.

CliQ

But if you say pros will use it, then surely it wouldn't be a gimmick and instead another skill you can master.

Seems Halo 5 is slowly becoming one of them "Easy to play, Harder to master"-sorta deals, which is nice.

Why wouldn't they use something that gives them a power weapon while still remaining in cover? I'm not sure what impact it will have in Halo 5 but I do know that it was pretty great in CE.

Good teams will usually have a guy at the base to shoot at people making their way to pink tower. Isn't that where you can nade the sword down to you? Though I'm not sure if the sightline from the base to that street is ruined now. There are also nades thrown in that area right when the match starts. It's not as easy as your friend is making out during 4v4s.

m23

I'm having some beta withdrawals :(

How about starting the beta on the original date, 27th, would be a nice bday gift lol.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Last night my buddy and I were playing HCE and whilst playing, we were both discussing how fast Halo CE is compared to the other Halo games. In terms of speed, we're not talking movement speed, but we're talking actual gameplay speed. The time to kill is insanely fast. As soon as you spawn, it's just like Quake, you have to move immediately and you have to think immediatley based on the spawn that you got.

In Quake, lets say, a 1v1 duel for example, everytime you spawn, your first reaction will determine your next death basically. You have to manage all sorts of things in your head, such as, where is my opponent, does he know where I just spawned, how close am I to the nearest armor/megahealth/rockets/railgun, etc.

All of these things also occur in Halo CE, but do not in any of the other Halo titles, and I would argue I haven't seen them yet in Halo 5.

So last night when we were playing HCE, we were on Damnation, 2v2s, and we kept spawning in the green room (sorry, I don't have call-outs for HCE, I rarely played team-games in HCE, mostly FFAs) and the other team was timing rockets and controlling the snipe bridge. We were trying to kill them and throw off their timing so we could take back camo, rockets and overshield. The speed at which kills were taking place was insane.

We had a 20-12 lead on them, then within seconds, they had tied the game and taken the lead. The rest of the game it was a see-saw, tied, we take the lead, tied, they take the lead, etc.

My buddy and I kept trying to make a decision on what we wanted to do, did we want to both get snipers and just hold down camo and sacrifice the rockets to them or did we want to try holding down rockets/OS and sacrifice not having two snipers?

Anyway, I can keep going on and on about this, but this is why I love Halo CE so much. Up until recently with HCE finally gettings its own playlist, I had never played much team games of HCE, I only had a few friends that played HCE and we were only able to do FFAs.

Halo CE is our Quake on consoles. The PC community will love and play Quake 3 for years and years to come. I don't think anyone will develop a shooter on the PC that can take over Quake 3, some recent tries are happening through Kickstarter, but we'll see how those turn out.

As for consoles, we never had Quake, and to be honest, a straight over port of Quake 3 on consoles simply doesn't produce the same gameplay as PC due to the limits of the controller. So, Halo CE was the answer.

My question to 343 though would be, why detach from this core gameplay?

Fast times to kill are wonderful for Halo. The snipers spawn every 30 to 60 seconds, the rockets every 60 seconds to 90 seconds, the powerups all spawn every 60 seconds. Everything in Halo CE is on a static timer from the very start of the match. This made the game a chess match of epicness.

Why turn away from this?

It's change for the sake of change. Why change if it works 100% the same? And it doesn't work 100% the same. There is now a long animation instead of almost instant zoom and that feels uninuitive and not Halo.
Long animation? Its still almost instant! I didnt feel any change to the time from pressing the button til being in scope in the beta, its really just that instead of a blurry something around your scope you now see the weapon.

You could watch some my gameplay from the beta, the overall feel of the whole gameplay is just Halo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q1ZSvkKxJU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ_GXtb8zz8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDixsOTxt70

Mdot

Had some great matches, connection-wise last night.....but still had some lag on H2A maps. Ugh.

Side note: I'm curious as to what look sensitivity everyone uses here. Back in the CE days, I had it higher up, around 7. But with each newer iteration, I lowered it down to 3 by default and just stuck with that. Last night, I kicked it up to 5 across the board to see if I can creep it back up.

Just wondering where HaloGaf falls on this and what the popular settings are.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
That's sounds very similar to 5...

From the twitch feeds I watched, I didn't see any of that type of gameplay.

Are snipers spawning ever 30 to 60 seconds on static timers?

Are powerups spawning every 60 seconds on static timers?

Is the magnum's time to kill as fast as the HCE magnum?

RSB

Banned
I don't need to play it to know I hate it. ADS is horrible (by far the worst mechanic to ever be introduced in the FPS genre) and has no place in Halo. Hopefully 343 will hear all the complaints and add the classic scope as an option, which shouldn't be too hard to do, since it would only be a cosmetic change (as you said, there's no difference beyond the look) That way, both the modern shooter crowd and the classic fans would be happy.

Honestly, I'm surprised there aren't even more complaints about ADS. Can you imagine what would happen if Valve introduced ADS for all weapons in Counter Strike? The fans would riot. I guess some console gamers are just too used to that awful ADS filth...

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I don't need to play it to know I hate it. ADS is horrible (by far the worst mechanic to ever be introduced in the FPS genre) and has no place in Halo. Hopefully 343 will hear all the complaints and add the classic scope as an option, which shouldn't be too hard to do, since it would only be a cosmetic change (as you said, there's no difference beyond the look) That way, both the modern shooter crowd and the classic fans would be happy.

Honestly, I'm surprised there aren't even more complaints about ADS. Can you imagine what would happen if Valve introduced ADS for all weapons in Counter Strike? The fans would riot. I guess some console gamers are just too used to that awful ADS filth...

Wanna know the sad thing? People will eventually cave-in, because it's saturated in all the shooters of today. Sprint, ADS, crutch-style gameplay mechanics, perks, you name it...eventually it will just be accepted.

Part of me thinks 343 hope for the same, that we just accept it.

tootsi666

Long animation? Its still almost instant! I didnt feel any change to the time from pressing the button til being in scope in the beta, its really just that instead of a blurry something around your scope you now see the weapon.
Old scope animation was almost instant. Smart scope animation is a lot longer and feels very sluggish.

I agree that Halo 5 is still very much Halo but it still has some stupid shit that doesn't belong to a Halo game.

jem0208

From the twitch feeds I watched, I didn't see any of that type of gameplay.

Are snipers spawning ever 30 to 60 seconds on static timers?

Are powerups spawning every 60 seconds on static timers?

Is the magnum's time to kill as fast as the HCE magnum?

I'm not 100% sure but I think the weapons are in static timers, someone can clarify if I'm wrong. It felt like they were though. Power ups aren't in the beta, however I'm sure they will be in the final game.

As for kill times they are extremely fast. The entire pace of the game is very fast. The magnum needs a bit of a buff but everything else is fast.

tootsi666

I'm not 100% sure but I think the weapons are in static timers, someone can clarify if I'm wrong. It felt like they were though. Power ups aren't in the beta, however I'm sure they will be in the final game.

As for kill times they are extremely fast. The entire pace of the game is very fast. The magnum needs a bit of a buff but everything else is fast.
I really don't get how Halo 5 is fast paced. It's faster than 3 or Reach for sure but Halo 2 Midship with BR starts is pretty much as fast paced as Truth in Halo 5. That's how I feel it atleast.

Madness

Wanna know the sad thing? People will eventually cave-in, because it's saturated in all the shooters of today. Sprint, ADS, crutch-style gameplay mechanics, perks, you name it...eventually it will just be accepted.

By Halo 6, the same way people say those who want sprint removed are delusional, they'll say the same for smart scope/ADS. It's here and staying until whatever the next major shooter flavor of month change is, maybe by the time VR/Oculus shooters come with full vision and head tracking etc.

willow ve

I think the biggest difference for me (besides the obvious "why the fuck is my gun taking up 35% of my view now") is the fact that you now NEED to zoom on automatics to be competitive. To me that's a huge difference from all other Halo games so far.

It also is not fun to watch streams (in my personal opinion) where people guns are popping up and down on the screen all the time. The DMR is the most egregious in this regard, but a lot of the animations are just distracting visual flair. The old zoom/scope was a much more elegant and (again in my opinion) a more futuristic visual representation of how a Spartan would use a gun.

It all feels like needless visual clutter for the sole purpose of getting reviewers to say "finally, Halo has the ADS we've been waiting for."

Is that really more sad than whining about a change that isn't gonna fucking happen for years on an internet message board compared to a precious 2001 video game?

I think that's the pathetic part, really.

I'm so tired of people quitting out of a game when its not going their way within the first 30 seconds. It happens almost every other game of H2A I play.

It might just be the salt talking but there should be a punishment of not being able to search for another game until the one you quit finishes!

AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

uwdanman

Neo Member
Last night my buddy and I were playing HCE and whilst playing, we were both discussing how fast Halo CE is compared to the other Halo games. In terms of speed, we're not talking movement speed, but we're talking actual gameplay speed. The time to kill is insanely fast. As soon as you spawn, it's just like Quake, you have to move immediately and you have to think immediatley based on the spawn that you got.
My buddy and I kept trying to make a decision on what we wanted to do, did we want to both get snipers and just hold down camo and sacrifice the rockets to them or did we want to try holding down rockets/OS and sacrifice not having two snipers?
Why turn away from this?

This is why I love Halo CE too. Those situations of trying to figure out what to do with a partner, then having you or your buddy pull off a double kill and now the map is yours! These awesome moments happen time and time again with fast weapon power weapon respawn times.

AlStrong

besides the obvious "why the fuck is my gun taking up 35% of my view now"

mm... I probably wouldn't mind this whole situation as much if they just kept the same old screen area for the scope and just drew the gun around it.

As it is, they might as well just black out everything but the tiny scope area and render everything within at higher res. :p

It also is not fun to watch streams (in my personal opinion) where people guns are popping up and down on the screen all the time. The DMR is the most egregious in this regard, but a lot of the animations are just distracting visual flair. The old zoom/scope was a much more elegant and (again in my opinion) a more futuristic visual representation of how a Spartan would use a gun.

It all feels like needless visual clutter for the sole purpose of getting reviewers to say "finally, Halo has the ADS we've been waiting for."

Maybe it's just me, but I get somewhat motion sick with ADS from 60fps, low FOV, and ADS switching (e.g. Fear, BF3, COD on PC). Can't stand to play them for long periods.

Sephzilla

Maybe it's just me, but I get somewhat motion sick with ADS from 60fps, low FOV, and ADS switching (e.g. Fear, BF3, COD on PC). Can't stand to play them for long periods.

I don't think i necessarily get motion sick from it but constantly jumping between ADS and hip fire just gets annoying to see. Part of the reason I liked the traditional halo scoping is because it doesn't have that extra unnecessary movement. As often as I jump between scoped and hip fire in Halo those ADS animations are going to get old fast

AlStrong

I don't think i necessarily get motion sick from it but constantly jumping between ADS and hip fire just gets annoying to see. Part of the reason I liked the traditional halo scoping is because it doesn't have that extra unnecessary movement. As often as I jump between scoped and hip fire in Halo those ADS animations are going to get old fast

100% agree. :) Visual clutter is extremely irritating.

membran

So... what's NeoGAF's consensus on 343i's latest statement regarding MCC's dedicated servers?

Note: We’ve seen many inquiries about dedicated server support for Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Dedicated servers have been up and running since launch, and we continue to optimize and improve connectivity. The vast majority of games are being played on dedicated servers, but in the event that players cannot connect to a dedicated server, the lobby will stay together and the match will still occur on a peer-to-peer connection. Please be aware that you may connect to the dedicated server quickly enough that you won’t see the ‘connecting to dedicated server’ dialog. The absence of that dialog doesn’t mean that you’re not playing on a dedicated server.

Surely they wouldn't lie, right? Still, this is the first time they specifically address this issue on official channels. It also offers no details on regional problems. For example, if Europeans actually play on the Azure datacenters in The Netherlands.
Also, sightings of the "migrating host" message are frequently reported (I've seen it myself a couple of times, but I have to admit, I haven't been playing much MCC lately), numerous people did some packet sniffing and checked connected IP addresses versus publicly known Azure IP ranges as well as sheer number of active UDP connections - all leading to the conclusion of the games being played p2p. And of course, by good ol' anectdotal evidence and personal experience. At least yesterday, on the newest patch, Halo 2 Classic remained mostly unplayable for me with shots not registering properly and always one guy in the match showing classic tell-tale signs of host advantage. So, what's the deal?

On December 8th, Stinkles at least gave the impression here on GAF that the dedicated server connectivity issue is still being worked on.

Mdot

Surely they wouldn't lie, right? Still, this is the first time they specifically address this issue on official channels. It also offers no details on regional problems. For example, if Europeans actually play on the Azure datacenters in The Netherlands.
Also, sightings of the "migrating host" message are frequently reported (I've seen it myself a couple of times, but I have to admit, I haven't been playing much MCC lately), numerous people did some packet sniffing and checked connected IP addresses versus publicly known Azure IP ranges as well as sheer number of active UDP connections - all leading to the conclusion of the games being played p2p. And of course, by good ol' anectdotal evidence and personal experience. At least yesterday, on the newest patch, Halo 2 Classic remained mostly unplayable for me with shots not registering properly and always one guy in the match showing classic tell-tale signs of host advantage. So, what's the deal?

On December 8th, Stinkles at least gave the impression here on GAF that the dedicated server connectivity issue is still being worked on.

I would like an indicator that shows you're connected to dedis, instead of the quick, instantaneous message when connecting. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter but a datacenter note similar to Titanfall would be cool

Onikaan

Have 343 said anything about rank resets in the MCC?

I'd like to know if it's worthwhile trying to rank up at the moment.

ALSO!

Does anyone know if there's any kind of matchmaking filter for the unranked? I mean, getting teamed with up with 3 people who have spent almost 20 minutes in MCC Matchmaking is really freaking unfair on me, when the other team has 4 dudes with 100s of hours of playtime under their belts (I checked their career stats). This has happened to me twice today, and I just had my face in my hands. It's completely unenjoyable when the damn thing can't supply some kind of equality in the team games.

Everytime I get on this game there's something else that comes out of the woodwork to piss me off.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I think the biggest difference for me (besides the obvious "why the fuck is my gun taking up 35% of my view now") is the fact that you now NEED to zoom on automatics to be competitive. To me that's a huge difference from all other Halo games so far.

i didnt find that to be true at all. the autos dominate at close to mid with or without zoom. the zoom allows them to be effective further out, which should be yweaked, but scope isnt at all necessary for them to be effective in combat.

RSB

Banned

The fact that we have to beg for the option to use the classic zoom in a Halo game is just crazy. And no, I definetly won't accept it. If ADS is the only option in the final game, I'm out. I've already accepted enough shit being shoehorned into Halo throughout the years.

I understand they have to cater to the modern shooter crowd, and I understand they don't want some stupid reviewer saying "No ADS in 2015? LOL" And that's why I would understand ADS being the default zoom option (just like LT to zoom is now the default control scheme) But yeah, the option to use the classic zoom/scope has to be in the final game. It shouldn't be that hard to implement, and it would please many old fans. Hopefully 343 doesn't forget about them...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Except they tried perks in Halo 4 and people didn't accept it. That's why 5 is the way it is.

tootsi666

49wi71b

Not to be mean or anything but just how bad can you be?

Caja 117

Yeah, after seen some clips, my main problem is still with sprint, I still see people runing away to try and avoid getting killed (this frustrated me a lot in previous Halo games), Game does look great, and cant wait to try it out next week.

Fuchsdh

i didnt find that to be true at all. the autos dominate at close to mid with or without zoom. the zoom allows them to be effective further out, which should be yweaked, but scope isnt at all necessary for them to be effective in combat.

Yeah I didn't feel like autos needed to be scoped, but IMO they could probably stand to lose the ability entirely.

Mdot

Yeah, after seen some clips, my main problem is still with sprint, I still see people runing away to try and avoid getting killed (this frustrated me a lot in previous Halo games), Game does look great, and cant wait to try it out next week.

Despite the lack of shields recharging during sprint, I noticed this too, but less than in Halo 4 imo.

DeadNames

Banned
Why is it, that on every page, the same 2-4 members are complaining about sprint/ads?

Anyways. From the latest sprint episode, did anyone else see the LR? It looked like it was two shotting kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom