• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, after seen some clips, my main problem is still with sprint, I still see people runing away to try and avoid getting killed (this frustrated me a lot in previous Halo games), Game does look great, and cant wait to try it out next week.

I will never understand this complaint.

If someone gets the jump on me and I know I don't have a chance, I'm going to get out of there. I don't expect people to just accept death if they're behind a couple shots.

In Halo 5's case, I just always used thruster/clamber as opposed to sprint.

DeadNames

Banned
Mimicking Call of Duty didn't work. Let's try Crysis.

mM5o81A.jpg

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Yeah I didn't feel like autos needed to be scoped, but IMO they could probably stand to lose the ability entirely.

i dont see it happening, 343 seems intent on having a "smart scope" and purpose for all weapons (the sword!?), but i think that would be a great nerf to autos. they'd still be extremely useful at closer ranges but would lose to skilled br/dmr at mid more frequently (as they should).

If someone gets the jump on me and I know I don't have a chance, I'm going to get out of there. I don't expect people to just accept death if they're behind a couple shots.

Let me try and bridge these two standpoints here. There's nothing inherently wrong with knowing when to fold and getting out of a fight - obviously, if you're outgunned, there are situations where it can be beneficial to flee until you have a better chance against whoever you're fighting. Here's a really basic example of me being unable to kill a dude with the Brute Shot and taking cover until I could catch him off guard. The difference with new mechanics like Sprint and Thruster are that there's potential to mitigate firefights entirely, or rather "not earning" your getaway. I'm not really seeing any substantial cases of players undeservedly getting out of firefights with Thruster or Clamber, but Sprint is a pretty big offender of screwing with the general dichotomy of run-and-gun. Reasons being:

- Sprint is not omnidirectional like Thruster or Clamber. You have to go "forward" for Sprint to be possible, meaning in many cases where you avoid danger with it, you're literally turning your back to an aggressor. Not only are you hurting their chances at a firefight, you're hurting your chances, because suddenly (motion tracker notwithstanding) you can't keep tabs on your opponent visually. They could be reloading, continuing to shoot, picking up new weapons, coordinating an advance with their teammates, etc. but you're stuck facing the opposite direction until you're safe.

- Tying in to the previous point, you're giving up your extensive mobility options while Sprinting in favor of a much more linear method of locomotion. While out of Sprint, you still have a variety of movement options at your disposal - backpedaling, strafing, crouch-jumping, gandhi-hopping to make yourself a smaller target, etc. in addition to whatever map movement options are at your disposal, such as trick jumps. It's entirely possible to avoid and evade out of Sprint and usually yields more fruitful - or at least balanced - results when you're just making use of the non-Sprint sandbox. Obviously there are exceptions, but prior to Reach and 4 I can't really recall that many instances where I felt "cheated" out of a firefight because a player escaped a fight because they were faster. I had moments where I felt like they out-maneuvered me, for sure, but nothing felt particularly cheap. This is actually even more exacerbated in Halo 5 Guardians, because you're giving up a whole bunch of movement options such as Thruster and Clamber to Sprint.

- Perhaps most importantly, you give up your ability to shoot while Sprinting. As I (crappily) illustrated in the clip above, gunplay is just as vital to escaping insurmountable encounters as movement is. Depending on what weapon you've got, suppressive fire, grenades, etc. can all be used to harass the enemy long enough to get you a safe distance away from them. With Sprint, you're sacrificing just about every other option in your arsenal save from aiming and jumping in hopes that you can outrun whatever's giving you trouble.

It may not necessarily be that Sprint is an "unfair" method of escaping firefights, it's more that the linear nature of it dumbs down encounters significantly and sucks a lot of the fun of a chase out. It feels a lot more satisfying being able to turn an encounter around after a quick escape or even being able to catch up with your prey and finish the job overcoming whatever movement obstacles they threw at you rather than just being forced to play catch-up with them.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
man, i really like the glossy black of crossfire compared to the currently glowy blue.

If I said "Imagine you are playing Halo. You are rapidly moving forward, cannot fire your weapon, and can only turn left and right. What are you doing?"

"Driving a Warthog" is where most people would picture themselves.

Sprint causes players to handle like vehicles instead of Spartans.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Eww, glossy black is too reflective. Has no depth to it. Glad they changed to what they have now.

The Mongoose was Halo's version of Sprint. Trade your ability to immediately attack for faster forward movement. The Mongoose is better than Sprint because

-it doesn't affect map scaling because it is only placed on maps large enough to warrant it
-it doesn't affect shield recharge because it is not a base player trait that needs absurd balancing factors
-the number, location, and respawn timers can be controlled by the map designer to fine tune the experience his map provides
-the ability to ferry a teammate promotes team play

FyreWulff

Have 343 said anything about rank resets in the MCC?

I'd like to know if it's worthwhile trying to rank up at the moment.

They said even pre-release that MCC ranks would be reset over time even without the glitches, it's just the result of using Halo 2's ranking system. Don't get attached to your rank.

FyreWulff

While the glossy black looks neat (I think it does!), it also has issues where both the top and the bottom of the screen are black. Leads to poor orientation at the reflex level for the player. Also tends to hide player silhouettes and weapon/grenades on the map.

Blueish floor is more functional.

Caja 117

Why is it, that on every page, the same 2-4 members are complaining about sprint/ads?

not sure if you are refferng to my post, as I dont think I have talked too much about sprint in Halo 5.

Is not about escaping to avoid been killed, this has been in every Halo, is the fact that it looks like a escape button for a lot of people who put themselves in a bad position to begin with (usually because of sprint).

And My observation about this overall inst specifically about Sprint itself, as that's something that is not going away, rather that based on clips, it doesn't look any different from previous Halo sprint, Meaning, people will abuse it, and we will Have games full of Spartan running around.

Defect

They said even pre-release that MCC ranks would be reset over time even without the glitches, it's just the result of using Halo 2's ranking system. Don't get attached to your rank.
Can you explain this? I'm not really familiar with Halo 2's ranking system.

Madness

It's crazy that sprint is also unlimited in this game. We went from Reach where it was an armor ability only with quite limited time to sprint and audible noises to let you know someone was sprinting and when they started and ended it, to Halo 4 where it became universal, but was limited, meaning you couldn't sprint forever. You had to equip the mobility perk to do it. Now it's universal and unlimited.

I have a feeling this is also for the fact Ntkrnl promised ridiculously large maps, and it seems they're going for the CoD/Battlefield crowd, so I can only imagine universal and unlimited sprint will be used for large map traversal without being stuck with slow base movement. As stated above, the mongoose was introduced for this sole purpose, but like in Halo 4, with universal and unlimited sprint, made the vehicle next to useless because it's primary function was no longer as necessary.

Haruko

Can you explain this? I'm not really familiar with Halo 2's ranking system.

The resets aren't really H2 system specific, as much as that Halo 2 was the last game that had a full rank reset occur. I guess it was system specific, per FyreWulff's link. Did they ever reset it in H2 for that reason, though?

Their exact quote for HMCC was:

"Additionally, if needed, we will reset ranks after launch to ensure that all player’s ranks are fair, consistent, and accurate."

I assume that when they feel ready to add rankings to the other playlists, they'll probably do a full reset on H2A's.

HTupolev

http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive35.pl?read=1054300

Explained a bit here.

Also some of my opinions in other parts of that post have changed since 3 years ago, so just read the part near the graphs :v
I was under the impression that MCC was going to use Elo for visible ranks and truskill for searching, to get the benefits of both systems. Decent rank behavior, functional matchmaking scheme that doesn't require occasional resets.

I don't remember where I got that idea from, though.

FyreWulff

I was under the impression that MCC was going to use Elo for visible ranks and truskill for searching, to get the benefits of both systems. Decent rank behavior, functional matchmaking scheme that doesn't require occasional resets.

I don't remember where I got that idea from, though.

That's what I thought too, but they said they were going to reset ranks pre-launch, so who knows. So currently my answer to "Is the MCC using Trueskill or Elo?" is "yes"

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Why is it, that on every page, the same 2-4 members are complaining about sprint/ads?

Anyways. From the latest sprint episode, did anyone else see the LR? It looked like it was two shotting kids.

I'd like to engage in some thoughtful dicussion about it, but no one seems to want to do so. It's what I predicted 343 would hope for, it'll just be accepted, move on.

daedalius

Watching Jeff play MCC on the giant bomb quicklook is just painful, woof.

"Why would they put grenade on left trigger, default halo controls are so stupid!"

This is why default is left trigger zoom in H5.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
If I said "Imagine you are playing Halo. You are rapidly moving forward, cannot fire your weapon, and can only turn left and right. What are you doing?"

"Driving a Warthog" is where most people would picture themselves.

Sprint causes players to handle like vehicles instead of Spartans.
The Mongoose was Halo's version of Sprint. Trade your ability to immediately attack for faster forward movement. The Mongoose is better than Sprint because

-it doesn't affect map scaling because it is only placed on maps large enough to warrant it
-it doesn't affect shield recharge because it is not a base player trait that needs absurd balancing factors
-the number, location, and respawn timers can be controlled by the map designer to fine tune the experience his map provides
-the ability to ferry a teammate promotes team play

You're trying too hard to stir up sprint discussions again.

Sephzilla

Watching Jeff play MCC on the giant bomb quicklook is just painful, woof.

"Why would they put grenade on left trigger, default halo controls are so stupid!"

This is why default is left trigger zoom in H5.

Are you serious?

This makes me cringe so fucking hard. From my memory, before Halo grenades didn't even have their own button and were usually a weapon you had to cycle to in order to get

daedalius

Are you serious?

This makes me cringe so fucking hard. From my memory, before Halo grenades didn't even have their own button and were usually a weapon you had to cycle to in order to get

I think it was more about zoom not being on left trigger than grenade being on it.

And yes, I remember the days of weapon select grenades too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom