• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephzilla

They certainly do stand out more, but I definitely prefer the final armor shader.

vs

it's totally just me being subjective but the brighter colors remind me more of the Halo CE art style that i still love (and miss).

Isn't it kind of funny that after Halo 5, sprint will have been in just as many games as it hasn't been in. 3 to 3.

ODST didn't have sprint, did it?

Games without sprint:
CE, 2, 3, ODST
and Wars lol

Games with sprint:
Reach, 4, 5

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Some suits at MSFT are pushing out the design direction. I have no doubt Josh Holmes didn't just come up with these new features in Halo 5 all from his mind. He was directed to do so, just like any other creative director or director for that matter, is told by who they get paid by.

It would be different if Josh Holmes owned 343 and it was his studio...then I'd like to see how Halo 5 would be designed.

Even going back on Bungie, the Bungie president had said in several interviews, that after Halo CE, they weren't even planning on doing a Halo 2, or a 3 for that matter. They were instructed by MSFT to do those sequels. You can tell that after Halo 2, they were already burnt out on Halo. Look at Bungie over the years, their creative talent kept leaving.

The Bungie president also said they couldn't keep their creative talent because they weren't allowed to be creative...they had to follow some damn list set forth by the upper execs.

I work in marketing in the oil and gas sector, and our business development teams have quotas to meet...unfortunately that's the biz, but they sure as hell didn't set the quotas.

343 probably also have a quota to meet set forth by MSFT. Just like Activision does the same for their studios that create COD games year after year.

I'd be willing to bet that the creative ideas in Halo 5 were maybe....10% coming from 343, and 80% of the game was directed by MSFT.

Hell, even Gears of War 1 was directed by MSFT. Cliffy B said there was a MSFT exec in everyone of their meetings signing off on all things/ideas/direction/etc for Gears of War.

John Blow of Braid was told by MSFT, "we think you should put tips in the game, game hints." His reaction? He told them to go screw themselves and that if he puts tips/hints in Braid, he just simply won't release it. He'll stop work on it all together.

But hey, I'm just a Halo fan, this is all assumption.

This is a completely false and erroneous assumption. The entire creative process is 343s alone. Now whether you agree with it is another matter, but there are zero suits touching the game. Period.

Sephzilla

This is a completely false and erroneous assumption. The entire creative process is 343s alone. Now whether you agree with it is another matter, but there are zero suits touching the game. Period.

For some reason this gave me the image of disembodied suits walking around touching Halo 5 boxes. I'm thinking my mind simply downshifted into "Holiday mode" about 30 minutes ago.

They certainly do stand out more, but I definitely prefer the final armor shader.

vs

I really like that first promo shot better than the second image.

For some reason this gave me the image of disembodied suits walking around touching Halo 5 boxes. I'm thinking my mind simply downshifted into "Holiday mode" about 30 minutes ago.

Haha I imagine it sort of like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CzuUZdBxcg0#t=36

Frank confirmed for not wearing a suit.

Pleb.

What is he, a farmer?

1280px-Smash_screens_13.jpg

Tawpgun

From the twitch feeds I watched, I didn't see any of that type of gameplay.

Are snipers spawning ever 30 to 60 seconds on static timers?

Are powerups spawning every 60 seconds on static timers?

Is the magnum's time to kill as fast as the HCE magnum?

Dunno what the timers were. Felt like 2 minutes. Timers seemed static considering there could be 2 of a power weapon on a map at a time.

No powerups in early beta

Magnums time to kill is much faster but I'd argue the H5 Magnum, BR, DMR take much more skill to use than the CE magnum in MCC. Don't remember what it was like on the OG xbox but that thing is SO easy to 3 shot and melt people in MCC.

H5 has the lowest auto aim, or so it feels like, in any recent Halo game.

link1201

Dunno what the timers were. Felt like 2 minutes. Timers seemed static considering there could be 2 of a power weapon on a map at a time.

Magnums time to kill is much faster but I'd argue the H5 Magnum, BR, DMR take much more skill to use than the CE magnum in MCC. Don't remember what it was like on the OG xbox but that thing is SO easy to 3 shot and melt people in MCC.

It has shown me how bad my aim can be some times. I was really focused on improving it during the beta.

I know no one else really cares but have they added a Halo 4 playlist for us oddballs that actually wanna play that game? I hate having nothing but BTB for it, I miss Haven.

CliQ

So Just a thought. What if in big team games Spartans dropped into the map in drop pods on open maps and flew in on Pelicans in closed maps? Sort of like the man cannon entry on breakpoint. Needs to be in first person of course.

Does that do anything for anyone?

Fuchsdh

So Just a thought. What if in big team games Spartans dropped into the map in drop pods on open maps and flew in on Pelicans in closed maps? Sort of like the man cannon entry on breakpoint.

It'd be cool, but A) if they're still following the holodeck conceit of Halo 4 War Games, they're in a created reality, so there's no reason to be "dropped", and B) seems like a waste of time and resources to make some impressive intros for every map.

tootsi666

Un-scoped? Yes. Using smart scope? No.
Scoped aim assist felt a lot higher than in Halo 3

Deception

So Just a thought. What if in big team games Spartans dropped into the map in drop pods on open maps and flew in on Pelicans in closed maps? Sort of like the man cannon entry on breakpoint. Needs to be in first person of course.

So basically how Titanfall does it? I like on that one map in Titanfall where you would enter the simulation pod and it would show you in the inside of the pod and then the simulation would load you into the map.

Watching The Sprint, really enjoying it. The chemistry between the developers as well as the pros is funny, everyone is really nice but you see spurts of awkward passive aggression here and there. It makes development seem so much more human...working with people can be hard. Especially when it comes to the creative process.

Caught up on the Sprint, enjoyed the first two episodes the most.

Hoping we see a bit from engineering at some point, if they did infact get involved at a later stage of the map's development. It would be cool to see what 343 got from the early beta last weekend too.
I wasn't particular impressed by the continued US Navy ads [I now know the names of a bunch of US Navy vehicles, uh, wtf] or the paintball episode.

Tried to play some multiplayer MCC too, and the quitters were... frustrating.

I see the shot of the french horn player in the intro of every episode of the Sprint and then I get sad when they don't talk about music in the episode :(

here ya go funknown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6MQNuaRITk
combat evovled medal in h5 via /r/ halo
Incredible! Hopefully it stays since it's a technique you need Plasma Grenades for, making it balanced to those against it because you don't spawn with them. It creates another interesting tactic and allows for creative setups.
Let me try and bridge these two standpoints here. There's nothing inherently wrong with knowing when to fold and getting out of a fight - obviously, if you're outgunned, there are situations where it can be beneficial to flee until you have a better chance against whoever you're fighting. Here's a really basic example of me being unable to kill a dude with the Brute Shot and taking cover until I could catch him off guard. The difference with new mechanics like Sprint and Thruster are that there's potential to mitigate firefights entirely, or rather "not earning" your getaway. I'm not really seeing any substantial cases of players undeservedly getting out of firefights with Thruster or Clamber, but Sprint is a pretty big offender of screwing with the general dichotomy of run-and-gun. Reasons being:

- Sprint is not omnidirectional like Thruster or Clamber. You have to go "forward" for Sprint to be possible, meaning in many cases where you avoid danger with it, you're literally turning your back to an aggressor. Not only are you hurting their chances at a firefight, you're hurting your chances, because suddenly (motion tracker notwithstanding) you can't keep tabs on your opponent visually. They could be reloading, continuing to shoot, picking up new weapons, coordinating an advance with their teammates, etc. but you're stuck facing the opposite direction until you're safe.

- Tying in to the previous point, you're giving up your extensive mobility options while Sprinting in favor of a much more linear method of locomotion. While out of Sprint, you still have a variety of movement options at your disposal - backpedaling, strafing, crouch-jumping, gandhi-hopping to make yourself a smaller target, etc. in addition to whatever map movement options are at your disposal, such as trick jumps. It's entirely possible to avoid and evade out of Sprint and usually yields more fruitful - or at least balanced - results when you're just making use of the non-Sprint sandbox. Obviously there are exceptions, but prior to Reach and 4 I can't really recall that many instances where I felt "cheated" out of a firefight because a player escaped a fight because they were faster. I had moments where I felt like they out-maneuvered me, for sure, but nothing felt particularly cheap. This is actually even more exacerbated in Halo 5 Guardians, because you're giving up a whole bunch of movement options such as Thruster and Clamber to Sprint.

- Perhaps most importantly, you give up your ability to shoot while Sprinting. As I (crappily) illustrated in the clip above, gunplay is just as vital to escaping insurmountable encounters as movement is. Depending on what weapon you've got, suppressive fire, grenades, etc. can all be used to harass the enemy long enough to get you a safe distance away from them. With Sprint, you're sacrificing just about every other option in your arsenal save from aiming and jumping in hopes that you can outrun whatever's giving you trouble.

It may not necessarily be that Sprint is an "unfair" method of escaping firefights, it's more that the linear nature of it dumbs down encounters significantly and sucks a lot of the fun of a chase out. It feels a lot more satisfying being able to turn an encounter around after a quick escape or even being able to catch up with your prey and finish the job overcoming whatever movement obstacles they threw at you rather than just being forced to play catch-up with them.
Better than Halo 4, worse than Halo CE.

So, y'know, the usual.

10/10
vs
-
0/10

Mix

Yeah, the insanely small amount of auto aim definitely makes it feel more satisfying when you get a kill, it makes it feel like you earned it. The other night when it ended, I went straight from a match of Halo 5 to CE matchmaking and destroyed kids like crazy. it's funny how not having auto aim makes you, at least, feel like you're better with it once you go back.

singhr1

I see the shot of the french horn player in the intro of every episode of the Sprint and then I get sad when they don't talk about music in the episode :(

Season 2 hopefully. Season 1 seems to be just for the beta. Once we get more info about Campaign, etc. we'll likely get more Vidocs, behind the scenes, etc.

Took me a little bit to find an opportunity to write my feelings up, but felt obligated to respond to this.

Do you have any leeway on that? Say if you have the option to toggle everything but Smart Scope, will you be okay with it?

I want to make a couple things clear so that I'm not just coming across as "halo is dad, RIP, i'm out" or anything near that level of one-dimensional. Provided the options aren't there, it's really more my personal circumstances combined with Halo's current standing on the Xbox One as a franchise rather than some kind of fervent undying hate of adding new things to Halo. What we've seen of H5G so far has made it abundantly clear to me that Guardians is going to be pretty similar to Halo 2 in that it's going to have some high highs, but low lows. As far as my personal opinions on Guardians itself:

Pros
+ Gameplay looks to be pretty fast-paced.

+ Spartan designs already seem to show marked improvement over Halo 4's attempts at new armor designs.

+ There's a clear emphasis on competitive viability as well as attempting to leave a lasting impression on players e.g. there's fun to be had in a session, not an individual match. Halo 4 got a little overboard and convoluted and as a result I'd usually just hop in, play a single game and be reminded of why I don't play Halo 4.

+ Alternative movement options are being explored, including some that don't even bottleneck player control! Stabilizers, namely.

+ Debatably a first for the series, 343's looking to keep a relatively high weapon count but have the sandbox roles operate more as a spectrum rather than a checklist. That is, precision rifles all have their own individual ins and outs, offering the same primary function (shoot enemy in head to kill) but still having enough variety per weapon that there's overlap, but not too much. Definitely an improvement over 4 in this regard. So far it's looking to have the most cohesive sandbox since the Reach Beta.

+ For arguably the first time since CE, every weapon is viable. I think the SMG is ultimately going to end up being the new Combat Evolved Pistol of Halo 5 in that it's an innocuous-looking sidearm but ends up having a whole bunch of bite. Will probably be met with "they should have just made it look like an LMG" analyses in the long run.

+ Balancing the range game is a priority, albeit I'm not 100% keen on their actual methods of doing so. ADS on AR can be used to ping people out of scope, while the Magnum is basically everything I wanted to be improved with Halo 4's Magnum: it looks, handles and sounds beefier, while still retaining the basic sandbox function of 4's in that it's essentially Diet Precision Rifle Pepsi.

+ Despite all of the weapons, layouts on map look to be pretty reductionist - it's certainly a breath of fresh air after a bunch of Certain Affinity's maps just peppered the entire frontier with power weapons. Let us spawn with a precision rifle, and we'll be in business.

+ Definitely has potential for an increased skill gap while offering tastes of fun to new players - sprinting after a Bane versus nading it to you and yielding a Combat Evolved medal, etc.

+ Making big strides in terms of attempting to keep map flow, combat control and player awareness up. Implementation is debatable, again, but ambient contextual Spartan bro banter is absolutely a step in the right direction. Weapon indicators and a separate announcer dedicated to broadcasting power weapon spawns are completely welcome additions to the Halo formula.

+ Steps (precautions?) are being taken to keep player incentivization sustainable, from a strong and replayable core sandbox to all sorts of cosmetic goodies that could become customizable in the retail release. It's a little fratty combined with all the "bro banter," but I actually like the pregame / postgame vignettes with your team all posing and lauding one another. Absolutely seems like it'd be worth adding unlockable pregame / postgame vignettes to make your Spartan do such as brandishing certain weapons, dancing, etc. Not to mention unlockable bro banter voices since we've already got Nathan Fillion and Mike Colter in there.

+ Rather than turn the graphical fidelity up to 11 and next-gen the shit out of the graphics, more delicate steps are being taken to offer an aesthetic experience that won't necessarily date itself as quickly as something like 4 will in the long run. They're also polishing up a lot of things they tried and failed to do in Halo 4 that ultimately help the game flow better, such as adding the aformentioned pregame vignettes and camera pans at the starts of matches rather than using a single stationary camera while the map loads via a countdown letting you pick your loadout.

+ Sound design is pretty snappy. In particular, the low shields / shield recharge noises are my favorites in the franchise. They sound crisp. To me, Bungie's shield recharge audio cue struck me as another "Bungie gonna Bungie" sort of thing where they started out using it as a placeholder audio effect and it just kind of stuck. The new shield recharging cue sounds like some actual thought and time was put into it.

Cons
- Like with Halo 4, there is just soooooo much shit going on. From sounds, to visuals, to gameplay. If the Xbox One controller had more bumpers it'd be a different story, but they really need to dial back all the features they're trying to cram into the sandbox because they've got way too many abilities to comfortably map to a single controller.

- Spartan Abilities. I'm not talking the concept, I'm talking the implementation. I like that the abilities are standardized across the board now, but I'm already not a fan of most of
them.

- Slide seems extremely superfluous and will likely stay that way until fanmade Forge maps start creating small accessways that only sliding Spartans can use to escape and whatnot.

- Shoulder charge is basically sprint-melee turned into a game mechanic, though I am glad it at least only knocks out shields from the front.

- Ground Pound is basically the bad parts of Armor Lock and Jetpack duct taped into a single feature. It completely screws with the vertical flow of combat, gives players an extremely easy out in situations where they have high ground but not the skill to use that as an advantage (recall the whole "best weapon's found in the worst place to use it" philosophy of games prior) and essentially gives them a free instakill at elevation once they get the hang of it. If it were just a movement option and was nondamaging, I'd be fine with it, but I'm really against surface-level, on-spawn abilities being able to instakill other players regardless of circumstance. The only real cases otherwise are the Boltshot and backsmacking, and even then you actually have to get behind the enemy player to beat them down.

- I'm mixed on Clamber. It's a step in the right direction, for sure, but I don't like that it takes away your ability to use your weapons or grenades, similarly to Sprint. I think for now it's essentially a poor man's double jump that can only be used on surfaces. I absolutely think it'll revolutionize map movement, but I'd really rather them either go all the way and give us a double jump or let us retain weapon / melee / grenade / action options and have the Clamber animation be players using their retro-rockets to propel themselves in an arc onto the Clambered surface or something.

- Not at all a fan of Sprint. I covered the big reasons why earlier today. From conceptualization to implementation (including those dumbass whooshy lines when you're at "peak speed"), everything about it just reeks of not Halo.

- Smart Scope. It's absolutely possible to add modern elements to dinosaurs like Halo without going full interactive cinematic vignette blockbuster GOTY territory. I will say that it has pretty good implementation so far and admittedly has done things to balance H5G's range game (see AR ADS in the pros above), but again, that's not really anything that couldn't be achieved with a traditional zoom. Smart Scope conflicts with just about every design philosophy of traditional Halo from sandbox to gameplay to even lore, which is weird considering "contextualizing our universe" was apparently a big bullet point in shaping Halo 4. It ultimately turns Halo, which is at its core a run-and-gun game, to a run-or-gun game, stripping out some of the pretty important core facets of the traditional (infantry-based) design philosophy of "you can do anything at any time." It also completely blocks parts of your view with an opaque obstruction, rather than just darkening screen real estate as was the case in every prior title. I don't care how it actually feels - again, I've stressed its implementation has already done its job well enough - but it ultimately feels superfluous and strikes me as evocative of the "chasing the CoD crowd" complaints of Halo 4.

- As an addendum to the above, it's pretty damn clear Smart Scope is now the "standard" and no amount of customization is really going to repair the damage done to the actual maps or sandbox by offering traditional zooming options. Second-level zooming (as in 10x Sniper scoping) actually requires a different button than ADS now!

- While this issue has been pretty substantially minimized since Halo 4, there are still trace amounts of "restrictive sandbox band-aiding." That is, originally, how Halo 4's red Xs were only available as a progression-based unlockable perk, and so on. It ultimately seems like 343 had to design a lot of the gameplay around the implementation of certain features - particularly Smart Scope - have, as I said above, done irreparable damage to core parts of the sandbox and map design, and offering classic zooming as an option isn't really going to undo those changes.

- Adding to the above, while I think it's great that aim assist is at an all-time low unscoped, it's pretty clear this is a "restrictive sandbox bandaid" side-effect that's starting to make headlines as an intentional emergent feature. Aim assist is only so low because ADS is clearly being incentivized as a superior option. Automatic weapons capable of Smart Scope have tighter spreads while in ADS, and aim assist is incrementally improved. This isn't how aim assist should be where it's extremes on either side - aim assist should be near-identical on weapons scoped and unscoped save for particularly touchy weapons that see most of their use scoped in like the Sniper Rifle. But now, with it being an addition across the board, there's an inherent advantage to using ADS which is absolutely not what it was clarified to be earlier on before the pre-Beta.

- Art direction so far is extremely noisy and hazy. It's a more refined version of what Halo 4 was going for, and while the refinements are a notable improvement, everything's so visually busy now. I understand the weird haze / fog of war effect reducing clarity throughout maps is likely going to be toned down before release, but I just don't gel with the art style at all. I'd love to see these out-of-game renders be evident of what the actual game looked like. I know Halo's never been completely minimalist, but something along the lines of Halo 2 Anniversary's level of detail with more polys and reflective mapping thrown in would be perfect, imo. I really wish Combat Evolved's weirder, more alien style of bright pearlescent hues and reflective metals all over transferred more faithfully to the sequels. This isn't an issue that was started by 343, per se, but it has been more than a little exacerbated by them. On a positive note, I do like the aesthetic of the Breakout maps and apparently Forge is going to be more of a minimalist / reductive sort of aesthetic, at least.

- Music seems a little more standardized, but the multiplayer music does overstay its welcome a little bit. Especially the "Who Wants To Be a Killionaire?" killcam music.

- Speaking of that, I don't like the killcams, either. Just goes to busy things up and sort of pull back the curtains regarding networking. Turns out that dude that just killed you even though his bullets were a solid meter or two off course were missing you - at least on your box.

- The UNSC weapons are starting to get wayyyy too populous. I like all of the weird alien weaponry in Halo even if they don't exactly have completely alien functions. So what if the Plasma Rifle is basically "machine gun but also good at tearing apart shields" or the Fuel Rod is "rocket launcher but alien." We need more alien representation! The thing that gets me the most, though, is the implementation of the Hydra - the new Rocket Launcher. It's a multi-shot RPG that fires homing explosives. Wait, it's a...

new rocket launcher

Plasmalauncher_front.png

with notably more rounds per clip than traditional rockets

Reach_1861_Medium.jpg

that fulfills an alternative role as a heavy weapon, predominantly useful against infantry, in a more balanced fashion than the laser

500px-Halo-_Reach_-_Plasma_Launcher_Firing.jpg

manufactured by a faction debatably at the height of their power giving them the freedom to employ emergent new high-yield munitions weapons

3534433-6004769-thumbnail.jpg

initially surrounded by mystery and rampant speculation only to reveal it's a welcome addition to the Halo sandbox?

115435572-3.jpg

You mean they brought the Plasma Launcher back?

H5HydraZoom.png

wait a minute what

Customization - allowing certain things to be toggled in custom games and the like - are absolutely going to either make or break my purchase here. Now that the MCC is relatively stable and CE has a dedicated multiplayer playlist, and the campaigns are significantly less buggy than the multiplayer, I'll be more than content playing those in 1080p60 this gen if new Halo titles don't put availability for a traditional experience on the table. Sure, some of the new features like "Even Bigger Team Battle" and exploring new protagonists are neat novelties, but it's ultimately the smaller-scale intimate art of circumnavigating encounters with high speed and high-yield weapons that's always brought me back to Halo. My outright wishlist would be something to the effect of:

- can all the Spartan Abilities including Smart Scope save for Stabilizers and Thruster
- replace Clamber with an actual double jump
- give all players a hologram to use as a spartan ability
- can Sprint
- increase player speed to compensate, improve strafing speed, add separate move / strafe speed player traits and add separate X / Y-axis aim sensitivities
- dial down level of detail to Halo 2 Anniversary levels, opt for smoother (minimal) textures, glossy finishes, make Spartan bipeds nearly textureless like pristine sports cars
- use evocative art design and tasteful lighting for a lasting art direction that won't look dated in a couple years (months?)
- give weapon roles to non-UNSC devices, for example transfer over the Hydra's functionality to the Plasma Launcher, cite it as being some kind of modified variant
- PRECISION RIFLE STARTS AT LAUNCH

Now, if options to disable Smart Scope and Sprint are in, that would probably be enough to get me to buy a copy. The rest is really more pipe dreaming. As-is it's looking pretty evident that Smart Scope is the "new standard" and with how strong of a lynchpin it is on the rest of the sandbox that was built around it, it's not looking like they're backing down in this iteration just like they wouldn't back down on certain "features" with Halo 4 - no visible secondary weapon in the HUD, tac-pacs and sup-ups, etc. The whole "not [gameplay element borrowed from neighboring "competing" franchise]" such as "not perks," "not ADS," etc. is really tiresome too. I mean, if it's there, it might as well be owned up to, it's not fooling anybody. Watch here - the voice of Grif and several of his coworkers are playing the Halo 5 Guardians pre-Beta, in over the course of ten minutes they make direct, namedropped comparisons to Advanced Warfare, Call of Duty, Destiny, and they even call Smart Scope "ADS" directly. I mean, ADS isn't a copyrighted concept. Why bother trying to spin it as anything else?

Ultimately, I've come to the conclusion that Halo 5 Guardians is very much a "step in the right direction" game, but after Halo 4 they really don't have me at launch this time around. Once reviews from journalists and halogaffers start coming in, I'll see how I feel, and if options to disable / toggle Sprint and Smart Scope are there I'm absolutely on board. If not, it's possible modders will be able to play with the gametypes the way they did with 4. If not? Like I said, it's a step. I'm a patient man. I'm more than wiling to wait until Halo 6 or Halo 5: Inheritors or whatever the next game that decides to be the endpoint of going in the right direction is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom