• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mix

I liked it, it's super well thought out and organized, but I still say play it. A lot of your concerns aren't as prominent in the minute to minute gameplay as you may think they are. I feel like you're only seeing an emphasis on that stuff because either A. it's new, or B. you're looking for it.

This is a completely false and erroneous assumption. The entire creative process is 343s alone. Now whether you agree with it is another matter, but there are zero suits touching the game. Period.

giphy.gif

-Ryn

Banned
Titanfall had 15 MP maps at release. That's more than most online shooters.
Destiny has 4 massive planets and 5 multiplayer maps but that game still suffers from a lack of content.. It doesn't matter if you have a bunch of maps if there's not much to do on them. Halo 3 shipped with only like what, 12 maps? That game had fuck tons of stuff you could do though and a solid campaign to boot. Titanfall cost the same price with significantly less variety. It's like comparing a really delicious dessert with an equally delicious 7 course meal that both cost the same price.

CliQ

If I tried to organize a Throwdown this weekend would anyone show up? I know it's the holidays but I was just checking.

Destiny has 4 massive planets and 5 multiplayer maps but that game still suffers from a lack of content.. It doesn't matter if you have a bunch of maps if there's not much to do on them. Halo 3 shipped with only like what, 12 maps? That game had fuck tons of stuff you could do though and a solid campaign to boot. Titanfall cost the same price with significantly less variety. It's like comparing a really delicious dessert with an equally delicious 7 course meal that both cost the same price.
The thing is, is that Titanfall launched with 15 solid maps, and H3 only launched with a few.

tootsi666

I liked it, it's super well thought out and organized, but I still say play it. A lot of your concerns aren't as prominent in the minute to minute gameplay as you may think they are. I feel like you're only seeing an emphasis on that stuff because either A. it's new, or B. you're looking for it.
It's good to concentrate on those problems now because after playing for 300 hours even those small problems become big.

Fuchsdh

If I tried to organize a Throwdown this weekend would anyone show up? I know it's the holidays but I was just checking.

Going to be on vacation but I do want to play some more with you guys soon. Hopefully the party stuff has settled down where throwing customs won't be super-difficult?

Mix

It's good to concentrate on those problems now because after playing for 300 hours even those small problems become big.

but as someone who spent like 15 hours playing it over the weekend I can firmly say that these issues aren't as problematic as they seem once the controller is in your hand.

jem0208

I want to play Halo 5.

Flip dat switch, toshi

Same, I keep firing up games and just finding myself disappointed at how much less fun I'm having compared to 5.

- PRECISION RIFLE STARTS AT LAUNCH
I actually really enjoyed the AR and pistol starts in the preview beta...

The fact that the AR is finally a viable weapon means it was actually really fun.

Obviously there should be gametypes with precision starts, however I'm no longer going to complain when an AR starts gametype is voted in.

Mix

As someone who played over 10 hours over the weekend, I disagree.

Okay, I'm more than up for the conversation before working, what is it that you disliked? Personally, my biggest issue right now as far as gameplay is concerned is auto weapons being OP as hell. GP and the other spartan abilities aren't as game breaking in my opinion simply because I rarely saw them used, and at that, correctly.

I actually really enjoyed the AR and pistol starts in the preview beta...

The fact that the AR is finally a viable weapon means it was actually really fun.

Obviously there should be gametypes with precision starts, however I'm no longer going to complain when an AR starts gametype is voted in.

My request for precision starts is more of a failsafe provided they actually got rid of Smart Scope, e.g. AR and Pistol probably wouldn't be as viable at range.

tootsi666

Okay, I'm more than up for the conversation before working, what is it that you disliked? Personally, my biggest issue right now as far as gameplay is concerned is auto weapons being OP as hell. GP and the other spartan abilities aren't as game breaking in my opinion simply because I rarely saw them used, and at that, correctly.
Movement in the beta is very limited. Clambering increases vertical gameplay nicely but at the same you can't move freely backwards/sideways. Result was that movement during gunfights felt very limited because I'd sacrifice my ability to shoot if I wanted to move. Out of gunfights movement speed was too slow and if you sprinted, you'd just die or have to run away when encountering enemies.

Automatics outshooting BRs at mid range was annoying as fuck, especially with the lowered aim assist. I like the new aim assist, but that +ADS on autos made AR and SMG stupid.

The fact that Smart Scope increases aim assist massively. If you're gonna decrease it, decrease it while zoomed also.

FLINCH!

Lock on when smart scoping. Especially on the Sniper.

Smart scope animation being too slow.

Grenade spam being too powerful. It's like H2, CE or Reach again, except this time with hitmarkers.

That's about it. Many of those things weren't that noticeable until I went back to MCC but I also probably forgot a lot of stuff.

Tawpgun

Ar starts blow at high level play. Sucks when you can't adequatley fight back. It's a lot better than ar starts before but still bad

jem0208

My request for precision starts is more of a failsafe provided they actually got rid of Smart Scope, e.g. AR and Pistol probably wouldn't be as viable at range.
Ah, well I actually really like the addition of zoom for automatics. I really didn't think oh would at first but playing the game completely turned me around on them. They do need to increase the spread when scoped though...

Also just typed a massive fucking post about the tweaks I'd suggest and then accidentally deleted it all. Why the fuck doesn't android have an undo button?

Edit: something I'd really like for them to add would be the ability to clamber from any direction. Maybe make it so you get an extra boost from the thrusters or something. It is something I can see being a bit of a problem.

Mix

My responses are Italicised.

Movement in the beta is very limited. Clambering increases vertical gameplay nicely but at the same you can't move freely backwards/sideways. Result was that movement during gunfights felt very limited because I'd sacrifice my ability to shoot if I wanted to move. Out of gunfights movement speed was too slow and if you sprinted, you'd just die or have to run away when encountering enemies.
I'm sorry, what? I don't understand what you mean in this statement. movement was limited in gunfights? More than in any other shooter ever? I had no problem jumping, strafing, or even backpedalling while firing my weapon in combat scenarios during the preview.

Automatics outshooting BRs at mid range was annoying as fuck, especially with the lowered aim assist. I like the new aim assist, but that +ADS on autos made AR and SMG stupid.
I agree with this 100%

The fact that Smart Scope increases aim assist massively. If you're gonna decrease it, decrease it while zoomed also.
Again, I disagree, I felt little to no change in aim assist when zooming in on my weapons.

FLINCH!
yeah...

Lock on when smart scoping. Especially on the Sniper.
Once more, never had this issue, in fact had the exact opposite of it. Had it assisted, I probably would've gotten all three headshots IMO

Smart scope animation being too slow.
I didn't feel like that while playing, but in retrospect I can see it.

Grenade spam being too powerful. It's like H2, CE or Reach again, except this time with hitmarkers.
I made a point about spawning with 2 frags when they're this powerful is ridiculous, maybe one... maybe.

That's about it. Many of those things weren't that noticeable until I went back to MCC but I also probably forgot a lot of stuff.

tootsi666

My responses are Italicised.
The movement part is about not being able to move and shoot 100% freely. I couldn't use clamber routes while engaging the opponent nor could I do sprint jumps when shooting at an opponent chasing me. Thruster definitely helped with this problem though.

And I'm 99% sure smart scoping locks on to enemies. Quickscoping was much easier than in any Halo game before.

The movement part is about not being able to move and shoot 100% freely. I couldn't use clamber routes while engaging the opponent nor could I do sprint jumps when shooting at an opponent chasing me. Thruster definitely helped with this problem though.

And I'm 99% sure smart scoping locks on to enemies. Quickscoping was much easier than in any Halo game before.

I never noticed any quickscoping, for what it's worth.

And I do think that having some routes you have to clamber through is a good thing; can you imagine what Red and Blue Sneaky on Empire would do to the flow of combat around Turbine if you could freely jump through them?

tootsi666

I never noticed any quickscoping, for what it's worth.

And I do think that having some routes you have to clamber through is a good thing; can you imagine what Red and Blue Sneaky on Empire would do to the flow of combat around Turbine if you could freely jump through them?
It would improve the maps flow but I can't be sure

Mix

Ohhhhhhh, okay I getchya now. Yeah, that's a bit frustrating.

CliQ

If there is one base theme from the beta it's that flinch is very unpopular with the community at the moment. People want to be able to shoot back when they are being shot.

Can we all agree on this? If so can we flood a few pages with a #noflinch so the devs can hear our voice?

Just add it to the bottom of your posts.

Thanks all

It would improve the maps flow but I can't be sure

I mean, I'm not against having more non-clamber jumps (either by introducing a step for a 2-jump climb, or by bringing back crouch jumping), but there's some really cool features that would just be broken if they were able to be used as quick escape routes.

Clamber flows pretty well on the whole, so I don't see the problem with limiting some of the jumps to clamber-only.

If there is one base theme from the beta it's that flinch is very unpopular with the community at the moment. People want to be able to shoot back when they are being shot.

Can we all agree on this? If so can we flood a few pages with a #noflinch so the devs can hear our voice?

Just add it to the bottom of your posts.

Thanks all

#noflinch.

+ For arguably the first time since CE, every weapon is viable. I think the SMG is ultimately going to end up being the new Combat Evolved Pistol of Halo 5 in that it's an innocuous-looking sidearm but ends up having a whole bunch of bite. Will probably be met with "they should have just made it look like an LMG" analyses in the long run.
- Music seems a little more standardized, but the multiplayer music does overstay its welcome a little bit. Especially the "Who Wants To Be a Killionaire?" killcam music.
lmfao
- I'm mixed on Clamber. It's a step in the right direction, for sure, but I don't like that it takes away your ability to use your weapons or grenades, similarly to Sprint. I think for now it's essentially a poor man's double jump that can only be used on surfaces. I absolutely think it'll revolutionize map movement, but I'd really rather them either go all the way and give us a double jump or let us retain weapon / melee / grenade / action options and have the Clamber animation be players using their retro-rockets to propel themselves in an arc onto the Clambered surface or something.

- Art direction so far is extremely noisy and hazy. It's a more refined version of what Halo 4 was going for, and while the refinements are a notable improvement, everything's so visually busy now. I understand the weird haze / fog of war effect reducing clarity throughout maps is likely going to be toned down before release, but I just don't gel with the art style at all. I'd love to see these out-of-game renders be evident of what the actual game looked like. I know Halo's never been completely minimalist, but something along the lines of Halo 2 Anniversary's level of detail with more polys and reflective mapping thrown in would be perfect, imo. I really wish Combat Evolved's weirder, more alien style of bright pearlescent hues and reflective metals all over transferred more faithfully to the sequels. This isn't an issue that was started by 343, per se, but it has been more than a little exacerbated by them. On a positive note, I do like the aesthetic of the Breakout maps and apparently Forge is going to be more of a minimalist / reductive sort of aesthetic, at least.

- The UNSC weapons are starting to get wayyyy too populous. I like all of the weird alien weaponry in Halo even if they don't exactly have completely alien functions. So what if the Plasma Rifle is basically "machine gun but also good at tearing apart shields" or the Fuel Rod is "rocket launcher but alien." We need more alien representation! The thing that gets me the most, though, is the implementation of the Hydra - the new Rocket Launcher. It's a multi-shot RPG that fires homing explosives. Wait, it's a...

. . .

You mean they brought the Plasma Launcher back?

H5HydraZoom.png

wait a minute what
Great feedback overall, but I especially wanted to highlight these points because they resonate strongly with me as well. We need more alien weaponry, but it also matters that they distinguish them enough from UNSC weaponry to make the sandbox more interesting. Hopefully this is why we've yet to see many alien weapons, because they're making them feel truly unique this time around.

The Light Rifle looks awesome for example, so hopefully it feels unique enough where you'd want to pick it up over another rifle, otherwise it'll just be wasted potential when trying to get people who may not necessarily like alien weaponry in FPS's to use them more.

-Ryn

Banned
How would you guys feel about wall jumping as a form of double jump? Not wall running, you can only kick off from a wall (though I am up for discussing wall running as well).

#noflinch

#t-mobile

#butts

tootsi666

It's already 24th in Finland and we finns celebrate Christmas on the 24th so merry Christmas everybody!

Also, I really enjoyed the last episode of the Sprint.

#noflinch

Tawpgun

In Sprint Ep 6 someone on truth dashed from mid to blue window, wasn't gonna make the clamber, so they stabilized and it gave them the extra inches they needed to clamber up.

That was awesome.

I want jumps that require those mechanics to be able to make.

One thing I'll add to posters giving feedback...please comment on the combined aspects of the new abilities. To me the chaining of abilities is a major step up e.g. thruster then jump slide sideways or sprint + jump + thruster (any direction) + clamber. Or flanking an enemy with map routes and combined abilities etc.

Or full sprint + charge + strafe/thruster + melee/back away shooting.

I didn't even use slide once and GP is hard to use, which is fine for now. Overall I like how predictable each ability is, it keeps things even and skilful IMO.

Same, I keep firing up games and just finding myself disappointed at how much less fun I'm having compared to 5.

Yeah I felt a similar sentiment the other day but that principally comes down to the fact that the pre-beta beta was more polished and functional than the £45 full game that was hyped from E3 onwards as the resurrection of Halo. Because the most gigantic and glaring of bugs still exist in the MCC, the smaller ticket items are completely neglected and, over time, it's become increasingly trying to maintain any enthusiasm for the game and the lottery of experiences you might have should you boot it up. The matchmaking is literally Bungie base variants from each games respective launch period, bundled up and tossed thoughtlessly onto a voting screen. The MM variants and combinations speak to a lack of refinement, insight and, ultimately, a lack of care. What I played of Halo 5 genuinely reignited a sense of excitement for the franchise going forward which I can't really say I felt during the run up to Reach and H4 but it really does show of late that H5 was/is the true buzz and propulsion at 343 and MCC seems more and more like an inconvenience, a contractual obligation. I'm happy H5 is good but Halo embittered by the continuing farce that is the MCC.

Huh. Watching The Sprint, am I crazy or does Breakout not have recharging shields? Like, at all.

EDIT: Nvm, the shield bar is (or just stays) empty, but the health bar still recharges.

EDIT2: Ooh, a tease for more episodes! Here's hoping.

#noflinch

jem0208

Yeah I felt a similar sentiment the other day but that principally comes down to the fact that the pre-beta beta was more polished and functional than the £45 full game that was hyped from E3 onwards as the resurrection of Halo. Because the most gigantic and glaring of bugs still exist in the MCC, the smaller ticket items are completely neglected and, over time, it's become increasingly trying to maintain any enthusiasm for the game and the lottery of experiences you might have should you boot it up. The matchmaking is literally Bungie base variants from each games respective launch period, bundled up and tossed thoughtlessly onto a voting screen. The MM variants and combinations speak to a lack of refinement, insight and, ultimately, a lack of care. What I played of Halo 5 genuinely reignited a sense of excitement for the franchise going forward which I can't really say I felt during the run up to Reach and H4 but it really does show of late that H5 was/is the true buzz and propulsion at 343 and MCC seems more and more like an inconvenience, a contractual obligation. I'm happy H5 is good but Halo embittered by the continuing farce that is the MCC.

It's not just the MCC which is disappointing though. Pretty much every shooter I've played has given me a profound sense of meh. I tried going back to Titanfall but the shooting was just so unsatisfying that I was bored. Titanfall was amazing before the beta... I really hope this isn't just because it's the new fresh thing but I don't think it is. I suppose we'll see in the full beta. 3 weeks is a really long beta, if I'm still loving it by the end of that then I'll know it's the real deal.

Computron

"Screen-space reflections don't really work in games with a free camera, and looking around causes horrible visual artifacts."

"A typical solution is to use other stuff instead of screen-space reflections."

Meanwhile, planar reflections continue their eternal march through "we don't really use this" territory, and actually keeping track of how light is propagating about in world-space is still too expensive for most developers to want to do in real time (and/or too low-frequency to get sharp reflections out of).

lol. true. I meant more like adding in more diffuse detail so there is still something left to look at when occlusion and cube maps fail you.

I do think SSR has some nice qualities to it and for some environments it works pretty nicely when augmenting BPCMs. A worthy tradeoff often, just not with large flat mirror like surfaces.

Halo 2 Anni puts it to great use with small puddles and smooth covenant structures. it looks awesome on the last levels.

I like Halo 5's breakout floor shader though, seems Matrix-like and works well with occlusion, but the stretched out spartan "reflections" are a bit weird.

Just as an aside, I always found this interesting about SSR in the context of multiplayer games:
One of the devs of NS2 commented on twitter that when they were upgrading the lighting for their game's engine and were weighing the pros and cons of various reflection implementations that SSR had the interesting quality of giving no competitive advantage. (Its a PC game, so this was in reference to the fact that people with lower end systems who couldn't handle turning on the effect wouldn't be missing out since its not like people with SSR would see them around corners due to their beefier GPUs).

Planar reflections would be weird. I did do something like it in forge manually once:
http://halo.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=12071358 (Bungie pro video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V93OLBlZjWM (youtube mirror)

FyreWulff

Planar reflections would be weird. I did do something like it in forge manually once:
http://halo.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=12071358 (Bungie pro video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V93OLBlZjWM (youtube mirror)

This is how Perfect Dark did it on the N64 (amongst many other games). I always thought it was hilarious that they didn't even bother to hide it by excluding the 'reflection' objects from the Farsight mode, so you'll be looking around Carrington Institute with it and see couches attached to themselves upside down.

PerfectDark5.jpg

Of course, the drawback is you halve your object poly budget..

Rare was crazy like that though. They manually drew shadows for all their games, supposedly kept that habit all the way up to one of their Xbox projects.

-Ryn

Banned
Infection in Halo 5 should be interesting.
I wonder if 343 will redesign prometheans?
I hope they redesign the flood model if that comes back to multiplayer. That looked nothing like flood and more like a weird crab monster.

I don't think there will be a "redesign" for Prometheans per se. I think it will more likely be additions with the originals being tweaked. I didn't really like the ant dogs. They just weren't fun to fight and they didn't really make sense in design imo.

Computron

Rare was crazy like that though. They manually drew shadows for all their games, supposedly kept that habit all the way up to one of their Xbox projects.

Yea, manually cutting in vertices at shadow boundaries and using vertex colors seemed pretty common up through a lot of ps2 games. IIRC, this was because it could handle extra geometry better extra texture resolution or shading instructions. Its a pretty neat technique, since it could give you very (infinitely) sharp shadows, or you could even make the shadows smooth and their penumbra variable in width with some additional geo.

Perfect Dark went crazy with that stuff though. also, note how in that screenshot the columns fade to blue and the ceiling is missing, its all blue past a certain height in the reflection. It probably wasn't in the poly budget, but their result looks decent . I kinda want to bust open a n64 emulator and turn on wireframes for that level.

Infection in Halo 5 should be interesting.
I wonder if 343 will redesign prometheans?

I doubt they'll get a full redesign (I actually liked the old design, and it's all over the expanded universe stuff), but I could see them going back and redoing the combat loop. Introduce some more diversified enemies, that sort of thing. The Knights will probably look the same.

#noflinch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom