• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mix

So, when Josh says they may do more episodes of the Sprint leading up through the development of Halo 5, do you think he means there definitely will be? I know he says maybe, but I feel like him saying it only to lead to nothing would be kinda messed up. They can't say that kinda thing and not make it happen, right?

#
butts

So, when Josh says they may do more episodes of the Sprint leading up through the development of Halo 5, do you think he means there definitely will be? I know he says maybe, but I feel like him saying it only to lead to nothing would be kinda messed up. They can't say that kinda thing and not make it happen, right?

#
butts

That campaign tease tho.

-Ryn

Banned
I really miss Halo sometimes. It's enough to make me want to get an X1 -just- for Halo, which I know is crazy talk. But Halo really is the best FPS of all-time for me.
It feels good seeing so many people (old halo fans and new) genuinely excited or at least interested in Halo again. I can't wait to see what 343 has cooking.

I know people gave it a lot of shit, but I love this trailer. I don't know why, it's kinda dumb but I love it.

I knnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooow
Ya gotta embrace the dudebro

WAIT THERE WAS A CAMPAIGN TEASE?

#noflinch
ingbutts

Madness

I was kind of hoping they'd have recorded some footage of what it must've been like when the ADS gif first broke, and all their secrecy and development and testing prior to Halofest was somewhat in jeopardy due to the massive initial negative backlash.

It's crazy though that they already had ADS up and running in game as early as December 2013. Seems like they really wanted it in Halo for a while.

-Ryn

Banned
I was kind of hoping they'd have recorded some footage of what it must've been like when the ADS gif first broke, and all their secrecy and development and testing prior to Halofest was somewhat in jeopardy due to the massive initial negative backlash.

It's crazy though that they already had ADS up and running in game as early as December 2013. Seems like they really wanted it in Halo for a while.
I'm genuiny curious how many Halo fans actually wanted ADS (Visually; I've never talked to a single person who wanted anymore than the look). Maybe some gun nuts? I had a buddy a while back who was a major Halo fan but wished it felt more... "real". Customization of weapons like in the books and for zooming to actually look like a scope. I thought he was crazy to want ADS.

Mix

I almost wonder if it was something they had explored early in Halo 4 development but decided against it because of them not wanting to make that drastic of a change as a new company. Idk, interesting to think about.

Omni

I'm just sitting at the Xbox dashboard and I've gotten at least 11 achievements from the MCC.

I haven't even played it since before the Halo 5 beta IIRC

Madness

I'm genuiny curious how many Halo fans actually wanted ADS (Visually; I've never talked to a single person who wanted anymore than the look). Maybe some gun nuts? I had a buddy a while back who was a major Halo fan but wished it felt more... "real". Customization of weapons like in the books and for zooming to actually look like a scope. I thought he was crazy to want ADS.

Yeah me neither. It's the one thing more Halo fans were unanimously against even more than sprint. You'd always have the one or two outliers in the community who said they wanted it. But it was something the fanbase at large didn't want. But contrast this with the fact it's something non-Halo fans wanted. Reviewers who would play and leave the game, CoD kids who might play a few matches etc. I can accept that people want realism. But Halo isn't realistic. It's a futuristic shooter where super soldiers fight various aliens with neon weapons and the game was full of intense colors. It's not just exclusive to FPS, as good as Sunset was, my younger cousins said it wasn't as cool as GTA or something. Didn't we get someone a few pages back who wanted like black and gray armors only, gritty urban maps with rain, something real?

I almost wonder if it was something they had explored early in Halo 4 development but decided against it because of them not wanting to make that drastic of a change as a new company. Idk, interesting to think about.

It was something you knew they probably looked at. I think they finally decided to go full steam ahead with their vision (give the fundamentalists MCC and H2A to placate them), and decided to make the game they wanted..

The one thing I'd say, we have a year before game is launched, and yet people are saying why complain. But if we don't complain, it seems like tacit acceptance. If you don't like smart scope or ADS speak up. If you don't, they'll hear "hmm, seems like only a handful really care, let's just keep it in, this way we get the other CoD/Battlefield/Destiny fanbase too".

Edit: Nvm, that was a mod using some trickery with the first person camera and a flag that allows for ADS.

-Ryn

Banned
Didn't someone find an early version of ADS in Halo 4?

#seriouslytakeoutflinch
Yeah a modder managed to find a very basic version of ADS in H4 a month or so ago.

#makenoflincheverybodyssignature?

Yeah me neither. It's the one thing more Halo fans were unanimously against even more than sprint. You'd always have the one or two outliers in the community who said they wanted it. But it was something the fanbase at large didn't want. But contrast this with the fact it's something non-Halo fans wanted. Reviewers who would play and leave the game, CoD kids who might play a few matches etc. I can accept that people want realism. But Halo isn't realistic. It's a futuristic shooter where super soldiers fight various aliens with neon weapons and the game was full of intense colors. It's not just exclusive to FPS, as good as Sunset was, my younger cousins said it wasn't as cool as GTA or something. Didn't we get someone a few pages back who wanted like black and gray armors only, gritty urban maps with rain, something real?
I say this with no hyperbole; the push for realism in games was one of the most damaging thing to happen to the industry. It created a stupid homogenizing goal across multiple genres regardless of whether or not it actually fit, and encouraged the gritty gun metal grey color palette that I think gaming (shooters in particular) is finally starting to recover from. It's like what happened to comic books after Watchmen was released in the 80's.

And the problem isn't with realism itself or even grittiness. It was just all the dipshits aping things they thought were popular while completely missing the point of the source material.

Halo is one of the few shooters I feel has an actual creative spark to it and isn't afraid to show colors in its universe (and a sticky to the face). It's one of the reasons I was so pissed about the covenant all becoming space dinos in H4. I still remember Frankies post about the Grunts being a different sub species that were just an example of expanding the universe (so I damn well expect to see the original grunts at some point).

Your younger cousins are deprived of the spice of life. They just need to be shown that ignoring realism can actually make things more fun.

Yeah there was a dude saying they wished Halo looked more "realistic" and that there should be lights on the suits to show team with the armor being more gritty or whatever.

The one thing I'd say, we have a year before game is launched, and yet people are saying why complain. But if we don't complain, it seems like tacit acceptance. If you don't like smart scope or ADS speak up. If you don't, they'll hear "hmm, seems like only a handful really care, let's just keep it in, this way we get the other CoD/Battlefield/Destiny fanbase too".
Even in cases like sprint where I think it works in Halo, I still say it's important to speak your mind about it whether you like it or not. Just becoming content with things is no good imo. Yeah it's important to understand when something isn't going to change. That doesn't mean you should just shut up and be happy.

Even if they (not specifically 343) don't listen, at least you tried. Just don't go crazy with it.

Madness

Yeah a modder managed to find a very basic version of ADS in H4 a month or so ago.

#makenoflincheverybodyssignature?

I say this with no hyperbole; the push for realism in games was one of the most damaging thing to happen to the industry. It created a stupid homogenizing goal across multiple genres regardless of whether or not it actually fit, and encouraged the gritty gun metal grey color palette that I think gaming (shooters in particular) is finally starting to recover from. It's like what happened to comic books after Watchmen was released in the 80's.

And the problem isn't with realism itself or even grittiness. It was just all the dipshits aping things they thought were popular while completely missing the point of the source material.

Halo is one of the few shooters I feel has an actual creative spark to it and isn't afraid to show colors in its universe (and a sticky to the face). It's one of the reasons I was so pissed about the covenant all becoming space dinos in H4. I still remember Frankies post about the Grunts being a different sub species that were just an example of expanding the universe (so I damn well expect to see the original grunts at some point).

Your younger cousins are deprived of the spice of life. They just need to be shown that ignoring realism can actually make things more fun.

Yeah there was a dude saying they wished Halo looked more "realistic" and that there should be lights on the suits to show team with the armor being more gritty or whatever.

Even in cases like sprint where I think it works in Halo, I still say it's important to speak your mind about it whether you like it or not. Just becoming content with things is no good imo. Yeah it's important to understand when something isn't going to change. That doesn't mean you should just shut up and be happy.

Even if they (not specifically 343) don't listen, at least you tried. Just don't go crazy with it.

Yeah, like coherently complaining and speaking out against things is all you can really do. Though I'm sure it gets tiring for a lot of people to read.

I agree on the realism homogeneity in games. So many games are avoided or missed because they don't look cool. We need blood, sweat, tears and swearing, and not goofy looking plants and clouds with big eyes etc. Even look at Chief. People love the new look, but you have to take into account he was changed solely so he looks more realistic. People always said he looked like some action figure toy. Changed his armor to a dark green, almost black armor, fighter jet/tank

#
butts

i mean it's "season 1" def getting more. Would like one for Spartan Strike Halo 5 Final Game

Magni

I saw the latest MCC update included controller layout fixes. Does this mean I can still hope for proper Bumper Jumper support in Halo 2?

darthbob

sooo good

b139b349b3806ac13df9a938a8da3a6b.png

Make it free DLC!

willow ve

It was something you knew they probably looked at. I think they finally decided to go full steam ahead with their vision (give the fundamentalists MCC and H2A to placate them), and decided to make the game they wanted..

ADS still doesn't make sense to me in Halo. First - are all the weapons some new version that have zoom all of a sudden? Or did they simply retcon the entire franchise to say that guns like the AR sudden have a zoom function?

Second - as a walking tank super soldier why would I choose to put anything in my field of view when I don't need to? My aiming is accurate and precise no matter if I shoot from the hip or put the gun in front of my visor. Why would I ever put the gun in front of my face?

Third - the attempt to explain the new Smart Scope as more "immersive" or more "realistic" within the game/lore couldn't be farther from the truth. No graphic designer today would choose to paint a floating DMR scope outline or use that hideous BR dot sight in a mechanized Spartan HUD. Why are we assuming they make that choice 500+ years from now? The only apparent advancement they've made in personal weaponry is apparently you can pickup grenades and ammo simply by walking over dead people and not needing to bend down and pick it up.

On top of that "realism" issue is this. If they're really trying to go that route of explanation why are any of the scopes centered in the HUD? No one ever fires a weapon like that, ever. Maybe you would hold a pistol directly in front of your face, but 99% of the time when using a weapon it's held with your dominant hand, braced by your other hand, and you turn your head to look across the gun/sights. You would never, ever, ever, ever, ever, hold a weapon like the DMR, BR, Sniper, etc. in such a way that the scope would be centered in your FOV.

#teamclassicscope Bring back Halo please.

^Smart scope, and pretty much the entire design of Halo 5, is to appeal to fans of modern shooters. 343 wouldn't do this because it wouldn't sell as well but I really wish they would put all these modern shooter ideas in an "ODST 2" type of game. This way they could alternate yearly releases between the more modern ODST games and the classic style Halo games.

-Ryn

Banned
Christmas Eve! Time to be merry and drink eggnog boys!

Perhaps a little early (or late, depending on your perspective), but Happy Holidays HaloGAF.
Happy holidays duuuude

Yeah, like coherently complaining and speaking out against things is all you can really do. Though I'm sure it gets tiring for a lot of people to read.

I agree on the realism homogeneity in games. So many games are avoided or missed because they don't look cool. We need blood, sweat, tears and swearing, and not goofy looking plants and clouds with big eyes etc. Even look at Chief. People love the new look, but you have to take into account he was changed solely so he looks more realistic. People always said he looked like some action figure toy. Changed his armor to a dark green, almost black armor, fighter jet/tank
Yeah it can. That's just why you've gotta know when and where to draw the line (as in give it a rest for a bit) so you don't just become white noise. That's when you've got an even bigger problem. It's easy for people to forget that you "bitch" so much because you care. If you didn't then you wouldn't be wasting your breath (or key strokes).

I actually really dig Chiefs new look (my biggest problem with it is how it was shoehorned in terribly) but I never thought the old armor needed any changing. So what if it looks like an action figure. We watch super hero movies of people in colorful (albeit redesigned to be... "Realistic") outfits fighting bad guys. Why does everything have to share the same aesthetic? What happened to imagination?

"That stuff is for kids"
So? Who gives a shit. Doesn't mean it's any less cool or FUN. Remember when FUN was why you played games?

"It isn't as mature"
What in the name of Marcus Phoenix's left nipple does that even mean? This reason has always reeked of bullshit to me. Maturity is such an asinine concept to apply to a damn design. Especially given that people don't seem to know what it even means.

Can I get the blank version of that controller layout?
Yeah, same.
Don't have a link but it's on my hard drive. I'll put up a link to it later. Wahrer made the templates a while ago so he might actually have a link.

#teamclassicscope Bring back Halo please.
The problem is just that most of the people who want it and claim it's more "realistic" are only thinking about it on the surface level if that makes any sense. They aren't thinking about what, where, or when the universe of this game is taking place. They are probably only thinking about it from their own perspective and what they can currently do in life.

I've always hated sticking a rifle butt up my nose. Now I have to do it to my helmet. It may look a bit cool with some weapons, but it's really dumb and I hope they being back classic scope as a toggle.

#teamclassicscope

#toggles

#noflinch

#somanyhashtags

#butts

Computer

I really want them to continue the Sprint series. That was fun to watch. It dose a good job of humanizing 343. I think people would stop hating on them as much if they see more stuff like that.

I've been listening to every single piece of the Halo 5 Guardians soundtrack that I can get a hold of.

I've got to say, Marty finally has a worthy successor.

With everything that I have heard, I can truly say that Kazuma Jinnouchi has took the Halo soundtrack and made it his own, with a refined effort on the use of roaring trumpets and the Godly Choirs (which were mostly absent from Halo 4). Although, with the new musical elements such as new recurring rhythms, Kazuma has managed to keep it sounding "Halo" at it's core. Every piece I have heard has given me goosebumps, the only Halo soundtrack to do so in recent years is "117", which is composed by Kazuma funnily enough.

Halo 5: Guardians Soundtrack is shaping up to be the best soundtrack of 2015.

I've been listening to every single piece of the Halo 5 Guardians soundtrack that I can get a hold of.

With everything that I have heard, I can truly say that Kazuma Jinnouchi has took the Halo soundtrack and made it his own, with a refined effort on the use of roaring trumpets and the Godly Choirs (which were mostly absent from Halo 4). Although, with the new musical elements such as new recurring rhythms, Kazuma has managed to keep it sounding "Halo" at it's core. Every piece I have heard has given me goosebumps, the only Halo soundtrack to do so in recent years is "117", which is composed by Kazuma funnily enough.

Huh? Do you have links?

Huh? Do you have links?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPT7rtxDdxM

Couldn't agree more. Kazuma takes the confident sound that Marty established but gives it more modern production value and textures. I love it.

For those of you asking about the control scheme template with the XBO controller, I just updated / streamlined it a bit for public use:

Lmr7nEL.png

vsYlVEs.png

If you go to tinyurl.com/controlxboconfig, you can download the raw image or a fully-fledged Photoshop file where you can manually edit the text, change the background if you want, etc. It's all properly labeled and aligned in the .PSD file, but the fonts used are Conduit ITC and Kenyan Coffee so you may have to set them to something different.

EDIT: If you decide to use the .PSD file and need to align additional stuff or fix button prompts that use more than one line of space (for example Left Stick: Move (Click to Crouch), enable your grid with Ctrl+". The dimensions of the file (1080x720) combined with the DPI of the image means the grid's actually aligned to the image itself, e.g. no rows / columns of gridding taper off halfway or anything.

Fuchsdh

Compared to the work of Tom Salta and Stephen Rippy, Jinnouchi's music is far more removed from Marty's work. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing though, as long as they avoid any stuff like the "HEY WE'RE IN A STAR WARS MOVIE" notes like in Halo 4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXCKqt4bWDE

For those of you asking about the control scheme template with the XBO controller, I just updated / streamlined it a bit for public use:

Lmr7nEL.png

vsYlVEs.png

If you go to tinyurl.com/controlxboconfig, you can download the raw image or a fully-fledged Photoshop file where you can manually edit the text, change the background if you want, etc. It's all properly labeled and aligned in the .PSD file, but the fonts used are Conduit ITC and Kenyan Coffee so you may have to set them to something different.

Swing and a miss.

MouldyK

A Story For You All!

- First Time Playing Halo SWAT in 2 weeks.

- Halo 2 on Beaver Creek.

- Started 4 VS 3, soon after went to 4 VS 2.

- Was not having my best game due to not being used to Halo 2's way of things.

- Phone rang mid-game, so had to answer and go downstairs to email something to my dad, wasting like 1-2 minutes.

- Other guy got 37 kills on our side while I got 10.

- We Won.

- During my next game, I recieve:

15473487894_c51ba7a4d1_o.png

EDIT: After I explained why I was doing poor and said i'd improve beat him if we ever met in SWAT on opposite sides, he repied "Nah bro just kill yourself".

Ah, how I missed Xbox Live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom