• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MouldyK

Doesn't change anything when the image is still 250 x 56 pixels

My one says the image is Width: 1509px Height: 343px.

Either way, it said: "you are without a doubt one of the worst teammates ive ever had. and ive had some bad ones. fucking kill yourself or try CoD"

Right click and view image in new tab. lol

Somebody get him a microscope.

Right, my ideal controller scheme for H5. I like the standard they set with the Universal Default (Recon) they introduced in the MCC, keep Recon in H5 similar to that please.

6D64d8s.jpg

Fracas

#fuckonami
I didn't like it at first, but I'm warming up to recon.

For me, thruster absolutely has to be on a bumper. Most accessible place for something I'm using so often. I can't give up reload on RB either. Been playing that way for 7 years now.

Updated my setup to fit within the new layout:

MKswYE6.png

It's starting to become really apparent we need more bumpers with the way things are going. I'd really prefer thrust, melee and jump to be on bumpers. After going through to get the speedrun achievements for Halo 4 last night, I realized how much it sucked having to use a sustaining-press AA (in particular Jetpack speedrunning Reclaimer) with the Bumper Jumper config. I don't really mind as much with Sprint since it's just point-to-activate in the first place. Thruster in the Campaign was surprisingly easy to use on X, though.

They need paddles, like scuff/steam controllers.

I was thinking you could elongate the current bumpers off to the sides a bit and then split both in two (so you'd have Left Outer Bumper, Left Inner Bumper, Right Inner Bumper, Right Outer Bumper). Provided you're not a goddamn mutant playing Claw, it'd allow you to just press your index fingers "in" on the bumpers rather than use your fingertips to press down on the Outer bumpers, while Inner bumpers would function about the same as they do now.

Either way, I think it's definitely becoming apparent we're about to enter a generation where you have so much auxiliary sandbox equipment that four bumpers would be the sweetspot. Someone should start making third party XBO controllers with mappable innie bumpers / outie bumpers.

belushy

Banned
Just realized now that thrusting to the right would be a big pain, but meh... thought I'd post anyway. I had kind of a hard time finding a place for Spartan Charge and Slide, so the flick forwards were my last resort outside of a "modifier" button.

Fuchsdh

As a longtime default player, this is all I want for the buttons. Just a few tweaks 343 plz. As envisioned by others here I think button combos make more sense for ground pound and slide anyhow.

7DUw6lW.jpg

As a longtime default player, this is all I want for the buttons. Just a few tweaks 343 plz. As envisioned by others here I think button combos make more sense for ground pound and slide anyhow.

7DUw6lW.jpg

That's exactly the same as the "Halo 4" setting (the one I used) in the Halo 5 Beta I believe.

I think the only difference is left and right on the d-pad change grenades.

Just realized now that thrusting to the right would be a big pain, but meh... thought I'd post anyway. I had kind of a hard time finding a place for Spartan Charge and Slide, so the flick forwards were my last resort outside of a "modifier" button.

I can kind of see where you were going with this, but I think if any utilities had to be mapped to the DPad they'd be Sprint or possibly Action. The main advantage with having thruster-based movement being dependent on the analog stick is that it offers you a substantially wider range of movement options, whereas in your setup you'd have to properly assess / reposition your Spartan so that thrusting in the preferred direction actually sent you the way you want to go.

I think it'd be cool if they experiemented with flicking LS for Thrust or even clicking in LS for thrust, but I can't see the DPad being a great place for it to go.

7DUw6lW.jpg

lol, why'd you blur the background more?

Anyone designing control schemes, you can't map a secondary hold function to a button whose primary function occurs on button press, as opposed to button release. It is why the Plasma Pistol fires its primary shots on trigger release, not trigger press.

Fuchsdh

That's exactly the same as the "Halo 4" setting (the one I used) in the Halo 5 Beta I believe.

Haha, if the issue is I didn't cycle through all the options, I'm a complete nut. Swear I didn't see it. Good to hear, then.

I can kind of see where you were going with this, but I think if any utilities had to be mapped to the DPad they'd be Sprint or possibly Action. The main advantage with having thruster-based movement being dependent on the analog stick is that it offers you a substantially wider range of movement options, whereas in your setup you'd have to properly assess / reposition your Spartan so that thrusting in the preferred direction actually sent you the way you want to go.

I think it'd be cool if they experiemented with flicking LS for Thrust or even clicking in LS for thrust, but I can't see the DPad being a great place for it to go.

I also fixed your godawful kerning and the forced small caps, but do you notice that? NooooOOOOooo

belushy

Banned

That is a really good point. I don't know... I just like the idea of still being able to thruster with a button as compared to thruster with a button press and analog point in the direction of where I want to thrust. Not sure if I explained that in a good way lol

Murder Miners has thrust on flicking of the analog stick in the desired direction, but I always found it a bit unreliable.

Haha, if the issue is I didn't cycle through all the options, I'm a complete nut. Swear I didn't see it. Good to hear, then.

It was definitely a relief to see it there. The only problem is it makes ground pounding nearly impossible because you have to hold B and shift your left hand over to the right stick to aim. :( They should have made the left stick aim your ground pound on that setting.

That is a really good point. I don't know... I just like the idea of still being able to thruster with a button as compared to thruster with a button press and analog point in the direction of where I want to thrust. Not sure if I explained that in a good way lol

Murder Miners has thrust on flicking of the analog stick in the desired direction, but I always found it a bit unreliable.

Thruster with no direction indicated by the thumbstick should just default to forward if that helps.

I cannot believe that I just downloaded a 3 gig update which included Spartan ops but some how there's still no Halo 4 playlist. I'll be playing the Halo 5 beta before I get a playlist for 4. It's 343s only game on the collection and yet it's the last one to get fixed. I know my opinion isn't one that's popular around here but that's the game I purchased this collection for. And yet I'm condemned to BTB or swat if I even want to see a bit of 4.

That really has me disappointed. Hell I might be better off just plugging up the old 360 but man you'd think a month and a half out they would at least have the four games ready.

Stinkles do you have any idea when 4 will be back in its own playlist? I and the other ten people that loved 4 would really like it back.

Fuchsdh

It was definitely a relief to see it there. The only problem is it makes ground pounding nearly impossible because you have to hold B and shift your left hand over to the right stick to aim. :( They should have made the left stick aim your ground pound on that setting.

Yeah, that's a definite issue, but to me it's not much worse than the default being at a disadvantage to jump. Whatever controller layout you choose you definitely are prioritizing certain aspects of the game over others.

I also fixed your godawful kerning and the forced small caps, but do you notice that? NooooOOOOooo

avatars-000062491631-tmtyar-t500x500.jpg
???

motherfucker i will fight you, i had it set up that way for a reason

in all caps it's easier to differentiate individual characters, meaning the background could have more detail and wouldn't need additional blurring

Anyone designing control schemes, you can't map a secondary hold function to a button whose primary function occurs on button press, as opposed to button release. It is why the Plasma Pistol fires its primary shots on trigger release, not trigger press.

I understand that, and while it would add a little extra latency to something like jumping, I think the fact that it's a universal change and not something "touchy" like backsmacks versus assassinations means players would acclimate accordingly. For the sake of demonstration / presentation, though, I just have them listed as "press and hold" rather than the more technically accurate "release and sustain."

RT - Fire
LT - Throw grenade
RB - Melee
LB - Jump / Thrust Jump

R3 - Weapon Modifier
L3 - Crouch

A - Movement Ability (Thruster/Evade)
B - Cycle grenade types
X - Reload / Action
Y - Switch weapons

I understand that, and while it would add a little extra latency to something like jumping, I think the fact that it's a universal change and not something "touchy" like backsmacks versus assassinations means players would acclimate accordingly. For the sake of demonstration / presentation, though, I just have them listed as "press and hold" rather than the more technically accurate "release and sustain."

So when I press melee, the game waits to see if I am just pressing or pressing and holding before it executes my command? No thanks. I don't want lag built into the game itself.

Alright, here's another weird / convoluted idea:

wL8Q6Z7.png

So in this setup, much like you cycle through a list of possible grenade types, you cycle through four sets of Spartan Abilities rather than choosing a Loadout. These can all be switched to on the fly and come in pairs of two: one ability augments movement, while the other is an offensive measure. Spartan Ability pairings are:

Stabilizers / Ground Pound
Clamber / Slide
Thrusters / Spartan Charge
Sprint / Hologram

GrizzNKev

Banned
Merge the ground pound button with the sprint button. Sprint doesn't do anything in the air.

Or is that stabilizers? If so, make them auto-only.

If you are going to have four buttons solely used for to cycling through spartan abilities and grenade types, why don't you just have each button perform its own dedicated spartan ability right when you press it?

If you are going to have four buttons solely used for to cycling through spartan abilities, why don't you just have each button perform its own dedicated spartan ability right when you press it?

Do you really want to try and use all your normal functions on top of Stabilizing with down on the DPad?

Merge the ground pound button with the sprint button. Sprint doesn't do anything in the air.

I don't know how it is in Halo 5, but in Halo 4 at least you can press Sprint in the air and it'll send you into sprinting as soon as you hit the ground. I wouldn't really mind replacing that, though.

belushy

Banned

Both ground pound and Stabilizers is in air only, I believe. In my controls I have sprint (a button) to do Ground Pound because, as you said, you can't sprint in the air! I also have holding jump in the air to initialize Stabilizers since double jumping isn't in, so pressing Jump in the air does nothing.

Look at how many things thruster can do with one button.

Crouch and Thrust - Slide

Stand and Thrust - Normal Thrust

Jump and Thrust - Airborne Thrust

Simply perform a standard Melee at the end of any of those Thrusts and you essentially have your Shoulder Bash.

Now we take a button that is useless while the player is airborne, Jump, and make it an Upward Thrust Jump.

There are ways of adding a bunch of new movement abilities without using so many damn buttons.

DJ Gunner

I cannot believe that I just downloaded a 3 gig update which included Spartan ops but some how there's still no Halo 4 playlist. I'll be playing the Halo 5 beta before I get a playlist for 4. It's 343s only game on the collection and yet it's the last one to get fixed. I know my opinion isn't one that's popular around here but that's the game I purchased this collection for. And yet I'm condemned to BTB or swat if I even want to see a bit of 4.

That really has me disappointed. Hell I might be better off just plugging up the old 360 but man you'd think a month and a half out they would at least have the four games ready.

Stinkles do you have any idea when 4 will be back in its own playlist? I and the other ten people that loved 4 would really like it back.

Probably sometime after they get the party system working.

So mid 2015.

7DUw6lW.jpg

Yep, that's basically what I want.

Oh good, then I'm all set.

So, how are the impressions of the Halo 5 beta? Is the Hidra (the human new grenade launcher I think) a power weapon or a normal weapon ?

Haven't gotten to play with the Hydra yet, sadly, but from what we've seen of it in The Sprint, it'd have to be a power weapon. 2sk lock on rocket launcher with 8 shots in the clip?

I loved the early access, tho.

woodland

All these controller configs are cool, but I'd much rather go back to something simpler, a la Shadowrun. Bring back the wheel of abilities (Say, holding B brings it up), and map your more used abilities to 3 main buttons (X, LB, RB). The lesser used ones like GP/Slide could be mapped to pressing the joystick, the d-pad, or could be activated.

This in combination with Wahrer's multiple functions on one button could be pretty nice.

Perhaps the Hydra is a "legendary" weapon like the Prophet's Bane?

I'm thinking the Spartan Laser will make a return as the Legendary Rocket Launcher parallel. The Hydra, while powerful, doesn't look as immediately OP as something like the Prophet's Bane. I think it's going to be somewhere between the Concussion Rifle and Rocket Launcher in power.

DeadNames

Banned
I'm thinking the Spartan Laser will make a return as the Legendary Rocket Launcher parallel. The Hydra, while powerful, doesn't look as immediately OP as something like the Prophet's Bane. I think it's going to be somewhere between the Concussion Rifle and Rocket Launcher in power.

Is the Hydra a 1SK? Because the Laser and Rockets operate quite different from each other.

I wish they would just bring the Plasma Launcher back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom