• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most iconic weapons in Halo:

Pistol -- Years of discussion. Years of controversies and scandals. The first weapon tested, the first one to break our hearts in every new game.
AR -- Because it was forced on us.
BR -- Because bk's.​

Know your history.

The AR was definitely forced on us. Nobody gave a fuck about that weapon until Bungie brought it back for Halo 3. Then I hated it even more.

The Pistol was iconic in CE. In Halo 2, the BR was the weapon. The rocket launcher and sniper became iconic because they were there for every halo.

edit: Though I don't really care if a weapon returns or not so long as the role of that weapon is there in the next one. I might prefer a certain design and I'll voice my opinion on that, but it's not something that serious.

jem0208

The pistol and SMG look far better than they did in previous games. Rocket launcher is nothing to write home about design wise but neither was the old one.
I agree about the pistol and the SMG but the new rocket launcher looks really boring.

Then again the old rocket launcher didn't look particularly great either. The redesign just looks worse.

Madness

It's not about keeping the functions of the weapons only. There is a certain look for Halo. It has had a distinct design for weapons, armors, enemies, locales, vehicles, etc. And you build up on it over the years.

Of course some people won't appreciate changes. A few people hated the changes to UNSC ships or the Pelican, changes to the Marines, changes in armor, or how the Forerunners now have stainless steel type buildings instead of that ancient gray look. What about the enemy redesigns (Grunts, Elites, Jackals) Same goes for the weapons. Of course some are goofy looking, they were introduced 14 years ago. But they've become iconic.

jem0208

It's not about keeping the functions of the weapons only. There is a certain look for Halo. It has had a distinct design for weapons, armors, enemies, locales, vehicles, etc. And you build up on it over the years.

Of course some people won't appreciate changes. A few people hated the changes to UNSC ships or the Pelican, changes to the Marines, changes in armor, or how the Forerunners now have stainless steel type buildings instead of that ancient gray look. What about the enemy redesigns (Grunts, Elites, Jackals) Same goes for the weapons. Of course some are goofy looking, they were introduced 14 years ago. But they've become iconic.

I think one of the best redesigns 343 have done has been the forerunner buildings. I never understood why the old forerunner buildings looked like they were all made of concrete. The new look is great, especially with the crazy lights going on, it's going to look amazing in 5.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
343 changing things for no reason then ignoring the complaints? Same as always then.

The individual changes are meaningless, but the attitude taken by the creative leads is pretty insulting though. But hey, we're just fans. We ain't that important.

343 isn't so much as expressing their identity through their Halo games, they are seemingly diluting Halo's own identity down to match their vision.

Akai__

If anybody from 343i sees this, I played arround with the campaign stats page on Waypoint and this is what I would like to see:

S6M0Fra.png

Maybe even add 2 icons somewhere, which indicate if the mission has been done under par-time and/or if the par-score has been achieved. Just a suggestion. :D

I find it weird, that there aren't icons indicating this in the game itself. Would help a lot, because I always have to check the achievements or the stats on Waypoint.

Opinions are welcome.

pieface

So I'm trying to play MCC for the first time since the launch day.

Trying to load the game and I get

"Check your connecion - To start MCC we need to connect to XBL"

I'm connected to XBL. This game is a joke.

-Ryn

Banned
I'm not certain that 'happy' is the right word.
I don't know dude... During the preview people were genuinely getting excited and have talked about wanting to play it again (while still being appropriately critical).

If MCC worked well this would be true.
If only...
Happy wouldn't even begin to describe HaloGAF if it did

MCC and Destiny are both this year's top contenders for the "sounds like the bestest thing ever on paper" awards.
Destiny would've been fine if it had actually done what it originally promised...

Lungs and Tubes
Damn dude. Well I'm glad you're okay.
That doesn't sound pleasant. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Last map for the H5 beta might be called Pegasus (and to me personally it looks like a forge map.)
That Rocket Launcher is like plain oatmeal. Bland and unsatisfying.

Then again the old rocket launcher didn't look particularly great either. The redesign just looks worse.
You shut your dirty whore mouth!

<3
Seriously though SPNKr was great

Visual identity is one of the most important factors for a series to hold if it can get one and Halo's has always been destinct. I couldn't tell you the difference between a gun or soldier in any CoD, Battlefield, or other military shooter game but of you threw out a bunch of space marine games I could identify Halo in a second. It's one of the reasons why Halo 4 pissed off so many people (myself included).

This Rocket Launcher completely ignores Halos past look for a boring military shooter look. It's like they didn't even try to make it look cool.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
josh holmes tweeted that the beta will include "7 maps total, including two Breakout maps and one Forge creation." isnt crossfire, the breakout map we've seen plenty of, confirmed to be a forge creation? why is josh specifying a different map as a forge map unless we're mistaken?

https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/547807812588302336

posted this on the gaming side, but no discussion.

jem0208

You shut your dirty whore mouth!

<3
Seriously though SPNKr was great

It's okay, I never thought it was particularly great though. I always thought it looked a bit like a box with a couple of tubes stuck to it.

Also the double tube thing always seemed a bit impractical for a single shot launcher. If you have two tubes why can't we shoot two rockets at once?!

Then again it looks a lot better than the redesign does.

Havoc2049

I think this has more to do with the hacking attacks then with the game. This was never an issue with me before in MCC, but it was on Christmas day and yesterday. Other games were dealing with the same Xbox Live issues.

To me anyways, the new weapon designs have more of a contemporary look than a sci-fi look now. To go from using a HUD/AI assisted aim, to using an contemporary EOTech/Red Dot type scope on a rifle is devolving, IMO. The "new" rocket launcher looks like something a Spartan I would be using, instead of something we should be seeing in Halo 5. Oh well, it is what it is...

Rev3rb

This isn't a MCC issue. Happened to me yesterday trying to play Destiny.

RowdyReverb

Hi I've been gone all week
I know you all missed me dearly
. Looks like the current controversy is the Rocket redesign? It's whatever. I'm just glad it's still a 2-shot clip with the usual mechanics. I appreciate that they are trying to freshen up the franchise with some daring redesigns, but that launcher doesn't look particularly inspired to me, especially alongside wonderfully scifi weapons like the new light rifle. Hydra looks cool though. Reminds me of the Unreal Tournament rocket launcher.

Also, how is Spartan Ops? Is there matchmaking for weekly episodes like before?

nillapuddin

josh holmes tweeted that the beta will include "7 maps total, including two Breakout maps and one Forge creation." isnt crossfire, the breakout map we've seen plenty of, confirmed to be a forge creation? why is josh specifying a different map as a forge map unless we're mistaken?

https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/547807812588302336

posted this on the gaming side, but no discussion.

Forge map =
One they show in sprint that dude GP's out of

+

There's a still I the latest bulletin shoeing hydra being fired I think. I remember from a fee pages back.

1. Midship
  2. Midship remix
  3. Eden
  4. Eden remix
  5. Crossfire
  6. Crossfire remix (might be entirely diff map, wdk)
  7. Forge Map

Forge map =

+

There's a still I the latest bulletin shoeing hydra being fired I think. I remember from a fee pages back.

Midship
Midship remix
Empire
Empire remix
Crossfire
Crossfire remix (might be entirely diff map, wdk)
Forge Map

Other than the fact that technically Empire is the remix, that's the list.

jem0208

Forge map =

+

Midship
Midship remix
Empire
Empire remix
Crossfire
Crossfire remix (might be entirely diff map, wdk)
Forge Map

I hope the style change for the empire remix (or empire unremixed?) isn't just making it night time. The midship remix is awesome it'd be a bit boring if Eden is just dark empire.

nillapuddin

I hope the style change for the empire remix (or empire unremixed?) isn't just making it night time. The midship remix is awesome it'd be a bit boring if Eden is just dark empire.

I'm really optimistic about the remix concept.

I was hoping they would go more in depth in the Sprint behind this new philosophy, will all maps be remixed, only some, etc.

They could really be on to something, this could actually work really well in Halo I think.

RBK

Banned
Can someone tell me the differences between the Brute and Standard Plasma Rifle?

This question has remained unanswered for 10 years now.

belushy

Banned
Forge map =

+

1. Midship
  2. Midship remix
  3. Eden
  4. Eden remix
  5. Crossfire
  6. Crossfire remix (might be entirely diff map, wdk)
  7. Forge Map

Trench is the Crossfire "remix" (actually just a forge variant)

CliQ

The AR was definitely forced on us. Nobody gave a fuck about that weapon until Bungie brought it back for Halo 3. Then I hated it even more.

I'll gladly stand up and defend the AR. I love it and have always had a use for it. In Halo 3 it was a little too conservative for me but I still enjoyed it. In Halo 5 it feels so god dam good that I must have it! I want it more than any BR, DMR, Pistol, whatever. Give me that AR!

Oh there better be a Blood Gulch remake in Halo 5 or I might lose my shit. They should remake it then remix it than make like four more versions of it with different times of day and weather. Then just have a Blood Gulch CTF BTB playlist and i'll leave everyone alone.

Akai__

I wonder why we haven't heard anything from Dan Ayoub. His last tweet was made on the 13th November. I hope he is alright and not the guy MS is blaming. :/

He's probably too busy getting the game fixed.

nillapuddin

Trench is the Crossfire "remix" (actually just a forge variant)
Wasn't sure if that was confirmed or not, looking forward to it

1908165_740511039368375_7857001059782604170_n.png

Thanks based Josh.
So Pegasus and Orion? Wooo!
I really hope its, 1 and 2, i don't want to only be able to play one of them, the wording on this is confusing.

If the map is built and ready, throw it at us, I can't think of any negative consequences for adding another map, more mindshare, more testing, more awesome. Do it.

Overdoziz

Banned
Still not sure how I feel about the remix maps. They're saying they have 7 maps in the beta, but in reality there's 2 remix ones which are basically the same maps with a slightly different settings and some different geometry. Easy way of cutting down on time, effort and costs while still producing more 'new' maps I guess.

nillapuddin

I really hope one of the weeks isn't Breakout only.

That's what I'm saying.

Team Slayer - 5/6 maps
Obj - 5/6 maps
Breakout - 2 maps

I feel there can be alot more of an offering per week than what I understand they are putting out there.

* still a focused beta, I understand they want it finely curated

pieface

So after trying multiple times i managed to get Halo to load.

So fancied some BTB fun, during matchmaking it keeps saying "players found" but then I don't get matched with anyone, and it reverts back to "searching for more players"....

My NAT is open. Does the BTB playlist work?

If not... HOW is this still broken?

RSB

Banned
343 changing things for no reason then ignoring the complaints? Same as always then.

The individual changes are meaningless, but the attitude taken by the creative leads is pretty insulting though. But hey, we're just fans. We ain't that important.

343 isn't so much as expressing their identity through their Halo games, they are seemingly diluting Halo's own identity down to match their vision.
Agreed. IDK why, but 343 really loves change for the sake of change. Jackals that look like Godzilla, Forerunner structures that look straight out of Tron, a GGT (Generic Green Tube) replacing the classic Rocket Launcher... And of course, they also love changing things to cater to the modern shooter crowd. Flinch, Perks, Killstreaks, Custom Loadouts, Instant Respawns, ADS...

343 should stop replacing iconic designs with completely different shit for no reason. What they should do is create NEW icons, not destroy old ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom