• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawpgun

I don't mind slight redesigns if they are better.

But the new USNC ships just look like space cigars. No interesting shape to them like POA and Amber Clad had.
640px-H4-Concept-Charon-Frigate.jpg

vs
UNSC_Paris_Class_Frigate_Diagram.png

Here's some in game UNSC ships. https://sinsoftheprophets.com/forum...ew-unsc-ships-in-halo-4-besides-the-infinity/

The new RL is just a tube.

Akai__

The SPNKr rocket launcher wouldn't have worked with ADS, that's why they need a generic looking and thin rocket launcher, that can fit on the screen.

I'm still very sceptical about all this. During the Beta, I had no moment where I thought I was playing Halo. It really didn't feel like it and I'm sure it will stay like that. I have little to no interest in the MP. Hopefully the campaign will be good.

Tawpgun

Still not sure how I feel about the remix maps. They're saying they have 7 maps in the beta, but in reality there's 2 remix ones which are basically the same maps with a slightly different settings and some different geometry. Easy way of cutting down on time, effort and costs while still producing more 'new' maps I guess.
I think it will be good. The maps are similar but will play and look different. Better than forge variants.

Madness

The SPNKr rocket launcher wouldn't have worked with ADS, that's why they need a generic looking and thin rocket launcher, that can fit on the screen.

I'm still very sceptical about all this. During the Beta, I had no moment where I thought I was playing Halo. It really didn't feel like it and I'm sure it will stay like that. I have little to no interest in the MP. Hopefully the campaign will be good.

Had the very same feeling. It just didn't feel like a Halo game to me. Not to say it wasn't fun, it was. It just felt like I was playing some random next gen shooter. You could have called it anything, if that makes sense. Changing weapon designs, changing armor designs, changing canon, changing base game play etc.

Edit:

Halo-2-rocket-laucher.jpg

halomarkv-420x420.jpg

It's obvious based on the Hydra game play shown, and how ADS works for the AR and how the SPNKr looked and functioned in the past games they could have easily implemented some form of scoped or aimed down design.

While the new RL design doesn't bother me, 343 should realize that for brand purposes, weapon designs are very important to the Halo brand and the more unique and unconventional the design the better it is for brand recognition. When you see the SPNKR your know it's Halo. Same with many of the other weapon designs. So if 343 wants to help differentiate itself from other shooters they would be wise to stick with the more iconic design.

giphy.gif

Akai__

Had the very same feeling. It just didn't feel like a Halo game to me. Not to say it wasn't fun, it was. It just felt like I was playing some random next gen shooter. You could have called it anything, if that makes sense. Changing weapon designs, changing armor designs, changing canon, changing base game play etc.

Pretty much, what I thought. I'm really not looking forward to it and knowing that the 1st week will be AR starts... Yeah...

I hope they tweaked the automatic weapons a little, because I'll end up waiting for the 2nd week.

CliQ

Pretty much, what I thought. I'm really not looking forward to it and knowing that the 1st week will be AR starts... Yeah...

I hope they tweaked the automatic weapons a little, because I'll end up waiting for the 2nd week.

Love the AR in Halo 5, love AR starts in Halo 5, can't wait for week one. 343 don't change a single thing about the AR.

nillapuddin

CE 13
H2 12
H3 11
HR 8
H4 10
H5 6*

I mean, if you think of it this way. If they can come up with even 10 real solid map concepts, and have thoughtful remixes for half of them, we could easily have the most launch content.

abadguy

Banned
I think one of the best redesigns 343 have done has been the forerunner buildings. I never understood why the old forerunner buildings looked like they were all made of concrete. The new look is great, especially with the crazy lights going on, it's going to look amazing in 5.

Not to mention Forerunner buildings in old Halo games were ancient structures that had not been in use for thousands of years where as Halo 4 took place on a planet where they were in working order, it makes sense that they would look different while still functional. It's like if you were to look at the Sphinx a week after they had completed it, it would look a hell of a lot different than it does now.

jem0208

Not to mention Forerunner buildings in old Halo games were ancient structures that had not been in use for thousands of years where as Halo 4 took place on a planet where they were in working order, it makes sense that they would look different while still functional. It's like if you were to look at the Sphinx a week after they had completed it, it would look a hell of a lot different than it does now.
That's a very good point. I still feel like the ancient concrete stuff is a bit weird.

FatMarshall

Neo Member
It seems like the implementation of ADS has ruined a lot of things, especially ADS on automatic weapons. It seems like aiming down the sights with automatic weapons, especially the SMG, is more convenient than aiming down the sights of most precision weapons.

Can we just remove it and keep everything else?

jem0208

It seems like the implementation of ADS has ruined a lot of things, especially ADS on automatic weapons. It seems like aiming down the sights with automatic weapons, especially the SMG, is more convenient than aiming down the sights of most precision weapons.

Can we just remove it and keep everything else?

The precision weapons were definitely better than the autos. At least according to my stats. I was destroying with the BR. I really like the implementation for autos. Itch means you can actually defend yourself with it at range. It's actually viable. They need to make the spread a bit wider however I think it's actually a good addition, atleast after playing the game.

I don't mind slight redesigns if they are better.

But the new USNC ships just look like space cigars. No interesting shape to them like POA and Amber Clad had.
640px-H4-Concept-Charon-Frigate.jpg

vs
UNSC_Paris_Class_Frigate_Diagram.png

Here's some in game UNSC ships. https://sinsoftheprophets.com/forum...ew-unsc-ships-in-halo-4-besides-the-infinity/

The new RL is just a tube.

Eh. UNSC ships have always been Standard Human Spaceships. The new ones are a lot more visually interesting, tho.

Honestly, claiming that Forerunner structures should look weathered has always been a little bit amusing for me. These guys have mastered time and space, but y'all don't think they can come up with a long-lasting polish? C'mon, now.

Tawpgun

Eh. UNSC ships have always been Standard Human Spaceships. The new ones are a lot more visually interesting, tho.

Honestly, claiming that Forerunner structures should look weathered has always been a little bit amusing for me. These guys have mastered time and space, but y'all don't think they can come up with a long-lasting polish? C'mon, now.

The ship in that link looks a whole lot better than current USNC ships.

Yes, they fit the human sci fi cliche of bulky industrial brick with guns.

But the old ships had some personality, a unique shape to them. The new ones look all similar. Long cigars with lights. Is that more visually interesting?

The ship in that link looks a whole lot better than current USNC ships.

Yes, they fit the human sci fi cliche of bulky industrial brick with guns.

But the old ships had some personality, a unique shape to them. The new ones look all similar. Long cigars with lights. Is that more visually interesting?

Uh... the old ships were cigars with lights on them as well :p They were blockier than those, yeah, but I'd hardly call them "unique." Take a look at some of the new designs vs. the old designs in profile, I know which I'd call more interesting.

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/sloftus_scalecomparison/1280h.html?display=shipscale

Ramirez

To the people who say it didn't feel like Halo...

Where are all of these 4v4 small map FPS? Games that allow you to take 4-5 shots before you're dead? It felt like Halo. Give me a break.

Madness

Where are all of these 4v4 small map FPS? Games that allow you to take 4-5 shots before you're dead? It felt like Halo. Give me a break.

You're essentially saying is that it felt more like Halo in relation to other shooters. Otherwise, TO ME, it didn't really feel like I was playing a Halo like how Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 2 Anniversary are. I'll agree with you, Halo 5 feels more like Halo than Destiny or Call of Duty does. Inversely, Halo 5 feels more like Call of Duty than Halo 2 Anniversary does,so there is that.

tootsi666

'Didn't feel like Halo' doesn't mean it felt like some other shooter.

I think it felt like Halo

For some people, the differences are more important than the similarities, it would seem.

Zoolader

Wasn't sure if that was confirmed or not, looking forward to it

I really hope its, 1 and 2, i don't want to only be able to play one of them, the wording on this is confusing.

If the map is built and ready, throw it at us, I can't think of any negative consequences for adding another map, more mindshare, more testing, more awesome. Do it.

From what I remember during the initial beta there was a stream where they explained both forge maps will be playable and after the beta the community gets to vote which map 343 keeps in the game.

Hey Stinkles, what is the point of the Hydra?

Why not just leave the Plasma Launcher in instead of replacing it with a UNSC version. Some people actually like alien guns. So far the beta is literally UNSC weapons, nary a pink or purple gun in sight. With the exception of supersword which isn't a gun.

RowdyReverb

Listening to the radio and heard the same kids cheering sound as grunt birthday party. Made my ears perk. I didn't know it was a stock sound, but I guess I should have expected it. Had to share somewhere

Hey Stinkles, what is the point of the Hydra?

Why not just leave the Plasma Launcher in instead of replacing it with a UNSC version. Some people actually like alien guns. So far the beta is literally UNSC weapons, nary a pink or purple gun in sight. With the exception of supersword which isn't a gun.
Because casual players don't use alien weapons, nor do most pros. For example, the only pro we see using other weapons like the Plasma Rifle and Sentinel Beam is Ninja, really. That's why I like watching him; he uses a range of weapons and isn't so one-dimensional.

It's sad, but I don't think they believe many people care for alien weaponry, and I wouldn't blame them if so.

Overdoziz

Banned
Because casual players don't use alien weapons, nor do most pros. For example, the only pro we see using other weapons like the Plasma Rifle and Sentinel Beam is Ninja, really. That's why I like watching him; he uses a range of weapons and isn't so one-dimensional.

It's sad, but I don't think they believe many people care for alien weaponry, and I wouldn't blame them if so.

maybe

maybe​

make them useful

maybe

maybe​

make them useful

Yeah, if you nerf the hell out of them people aren't going to use them much. Or if they are barely on maps people will get acclimated to ignoring them.

One of the things I guess H4 did right was if you have a bunch of same-y precision rifles, you might as well just let the player pick their preference. So I'd just roll with the Carbine mostly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom