• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
90% of a match is spent Sprinting and ADSing. How does that feel like Halo? Give me a break.

I'm beginning to think you are worse than Ragnarok. Your continued exaggerations and expressions of salty ignorance is indeed impressive.

giphy.gif

jem0208

90% of a match is spent Sprinting and ADSing. How does that feel like Halo? Give me a break.
I certainly didn't spend 90% of my time sprinting, neither did anyone I was playing with. Nor did anyone on any of the footage I've seen. What exactly have you been doing? Also considering smart scope feels exactly the same as zoom I wouldn't call that problem.

Homogenizing formerly unique weapons in a on-map-pick-up focused shooter, just so they can all be in loadouts, is a good thing?

Not so much a case of make them all the same, ruin the pickup aspect, and let the player pick; but if your precision rifles aren't that different, why bother cluttering the map with them when actually unique weapons could be there instead.

It just baffles me that after the addition of Sprint, that fundamentally changes player movement in Halo, and the addition of ADS, that fundamentally changes aiming in Halo, how people can still say with a straight face "it feels like Halo".

jem0208

It just baffles me that after the addition of Sprint, that fundamentally changes player movement in Halo, and the addition of ADS, that fundamentally changes aiming in Halo, how people can still say with a straight face "it feels like Halo".
How can you say this with a straight face when it's pretty much completely false?

Let's look at the actual new mechanical effects of the new smart scope system:

- tightens spread of automatic weapons

The effect of this on the gameplay:

- makes automatics more viable at range.

How is this fundamentally changing the aiming in Halo?

Hard to read your posts with a straight face.

It wouldn't feel like HaloGaf without you.

Yeah it would

Madness

Give me classic click/zoom anyday. I hate smart scope so much. If people felt the DMR was overpowered, rather than a scope in your screen, tone down the aim assist, and reduced scope to 2x and keep kill times identical to BR. You'll effectively have a single shot BR alternative that way. I just hate ADS. Can't believe they added it.

MouldyK

Ain't changing the Aim Assist Level every game changing Halo's aiming more?

Ain't changing the Aim Assist Level every game changing Halo's aiming more?

or adding dual wielding, which fundamentally changed the combat loop of Halo, or destructible vehicles/hijacking which fundamentally changed the vehicular gameplay of Halo, or the lack of health packs, or anything that isn't Halo CE essentially

how can you honestly call any of the Halo sequels Halo. Give me a fuckin' break.

Give me classic click/zoom anyday. I hate smart scope so much. If people felt the DMR was overpowered, rather than a scope in your screen, tone down the aim assist, and reduced scope to 2x and keep kill times identical to BR. You'll effectively have a single shot BR alternative that way. I just hate ADS. Can't believe they added it.

Still hope they will give an option to have classic. Although I definitely know why they did it. It impresses those who don't care about Halo's classic take on ADS.

My brother was gushing over it and saying he's glad they finally added it.

TheOddOne

or adding dual wielding, which fundamentally changed the combat loop of Halo, or destructible vehicles/hijacking which fundamentally changed the vehicular gameplay of Halo, or anything that isn't Halo CE essentially

how can you honestly call any of the Halo sequels Halo. Give me a fuckin' break.
Mr. Krabs!

jem0208

That sounds rather boring...

I'd rather have an aesthetic change to balance a weapon than making it functionally exactly the same as other weapons. This way it it stays different yet is still balanced (maybe, yet to see really)

Then again, I'd rather they found a way of balancing the DMR and keeping it different which wasn't ads...

Welfare

I just realized. We are going to have forge maps in Matchmaking by the developer as filler again? That shit pissed me off in Reach.

Iron tier confirmed.

Wait, so your proposed solution to balancing the DMR is... to make it mostly indistinguishable from the BR.

Are people seriously comparing levels of aim assist/vehicle hijacking to sprint/ads in a game played on a dual analog thumbstick controller? You can do better than that guys.

jem0208

Are people seriously comparing levels of aim assist/vehicle hijacking to sprint/ads in a game played on a dual analog thumbstick controller? You can do better than that guys.
What exactly does the controller have to do with anything? Actually, nevermind. I really shouldn't ask.

Also, you ignored the serious responses so people generally resort to jokes after that.

What exactly does the controller have to do with anything? Actually, nevermind. I really shouldn't ask.

Also, you ignored the serious responses so people generally resort to jokes after that.

The two thumbsticks control movement and aiming, the things I am calling fundamental. These two things are directly affected by Sprint and ADS. Follow?

jem0208

It doesn't change the game on a mechanical level, which ADS does. I'm beginning to suspect you are being intentionally obtuse.
The irony.

I don't care if it's not actually irony.

Also, because you apparently missed it earlier
or more likely ignored it because you can't answer it...

Let's look at the actual new mechanical effects of the new smart scope system:

- tightens spread of automatic weapons

The effect of this on the gameplay:

- makes automatics more viable at range.

How is this fundamentally changing the aiming in Halo?

It doesn't change the game on a mechanical level, which ADS does. I'm beginning to suspect you are being intentionally obtuse.

Um. The ADS doesn't change its classic mechanics in the game. Only the automatics have a buff in ADS which is directly leveled out by descope. That's the only new thing "mechanically."

Yes, I'm the obtuse one. For insisting that a mechanical change to the way aiming works changes the game on a mechanical level.

Regardless of levels of aim assist, weapons in classic halo always behave the same. ADS fundamentally changes weapon design in Halo because now every weapon is forced into one of two distict fire modes. Can you honestly not see how that is in no way comparable to levels of aim assist? These are changes at a much deeper level.

RSB

Banned
Yep, and it's not just cosmetic as they said. There's a longer delay when ADSing compared to the old zoom, and it also reduces the spread on some weapons (the SMG is ridiculous) And even if it was just cosmetic it would still suck, because having a gun (and its muzzle flash) obstructing the middle of the screen when zooming is just horrible. If ADS absolutely has to be in the game (not to scare away the modern shooter crowd and/or game reviewers) they should make it completely cosmetic and add the option to use the classic zoom.

Regardless of levels of aim assist, weapons in classic halo always behave the same. ADS fundamentally changes weapon design in Halo because now every weapon is forced into one of two distict fire modes. Can you honestly not see how that is in no way comparable to levels of aim assist? These are changes at a much deeper level.

compared to the two fire modes the pistols, rifles, and rockets have always had...?

RBK

Banned
You're essentially saying is that it felt more like Halo in relation to other shooters. Otherwise, TO ME, it didn't really feel like I was playing a Halo like how Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 2 Anniversary are. I'll agree with you, Halo 5 feels more like Halo than Destiny or Call of Duty does. Inversely, Halo 5 feels more like Call of Duty than Halo 2 Anniversary does,so there is that.

Halo and COD/Destiny play so fundamentally different to where I don't see how this is a reasonable argument.

I wonder if they're going to make the old Rocket Launcher a Legendary weapon? That would be pretty cool, imo.

That would be pretty legit.

CE pistol too :D

"Every" weapon isn't forced into two distinct fire modes. So far, the only ones we've seen behave differently are the automatics and the Prophet's Bane. BR and DMR behave the same. Ditto Sniper.

I would argue that changes to aim assist alters gameplay on a much more fundamental level, since it dramatically alters the aiming skill gap.

are you a real user?

I'm increasingly convinced that he's a spambot.

jem0208

You mean like the exact same two firing modes Halo has always had for weapons which zoom in...?

I genuinely think you're trolling sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom