• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
or adding dual wielding, which fundamentally changed the combat loop of Halo, or destructible vehicles/hijacking which fundamentally changed the vehicular gameplay of Halo, or the lack of health packs, or anything that isn't Halo CE essentially

how can you honestly call any of the Halo sequels Halo. Give me a fuckin' break.
Are people seriously comparing levels of aim assist/vehicle hijacking to sprint/ads in a game played on a dual analog thumbstick controller? You can do better than that guys.
It doesn't change the game on a mechanical level, which ADS does. I'm beginning to suspect you are being intentionally obtuse.
Let's put it this way: Halo 5 will be more "Halo" in 2015 than Halo 2 was to CE in 2004.

More like 25% but ok.
Sprint is now so nerfed that you don't want to use it if it isn't your only choice or you're running from spawn.
Which makes it obsolete and it should be removed.

I would agree, but with slide, clamber, and thrust it feels like it's worth keeping in. Even if it's just for the illusion of a faster game.

Sprint, ADS, and Clamber share the same design mentality as Perks: You can only be good at one thing at a time.

But they differ from perks in that everyone has the same set of options, there's no bar-filling involved, and they actually require judgment and situation awareness to use most effectively.

So I got a surface 2 for Christmas I thought halo channel was an app? I can't find it

It is, but when I tried to find it in the Store, I had no entries. Go to HaloChannel.com on your Surface, and click the clinks to get the listing. Dunno why it isn't public, but it's there.

Surface 2 uses W8.1 and not RT, right? That's another factor.

It's my opinion obviously, but at this point the added Spartan abilities chained together creates a very satisfying and dare I say "skilful" game of movement. The Sprint seems quite balanced, but it feels great to run and jump and thrust to make a jump etc. Sprinting into a room and sliding/body checking is also really fun but punishing if you miss (which occured frequently).

I think sprint is a positive force now instead of primarily negative. At least it seemed to be in the beta.

Call me crazy.

But they differ from perks in that everyone has the same set of options, there's no bar-filling involved, and they actually require judgment and situation awareness to use most effectively.

And everyone has the option to pick whatever perk they want. Everyone has access to the same perks so it's still fair.

MaGlock

It is, but when I tried to find it in the Store, I had no entries. Go to HaloChannel.com on your Surface, and click the clinks to get the listing. Dunno why it isn't public, but it's there.

Surface 2 uses W8.1 and not RT, right? That's another factor.

No it uses RT was hoping to still get the app though

And everyone has the option to pick whatever perk they want. Everyone has access to the same perks so it's still fair.

Well first off, perks are passive abilities, while ADS, sprint and (to an extent) clamber all require the player to "activate" them to use. So, no, they're not like Perks. At all.

No it uses RT was hoping to still get the app though

Sorry man, RT is completely different from 8.1, so it won't have that app (or some of the niche ones)

Milkshakes?

The best
Chick-fil-A+Milkshake.jpg

tootsi666

It's my opinion obviously, but at this point the added Spartan abilities chained together creates a very satisfying and dare I say "skilful" game of movement. The Sprint seems quite balanced, but it feels great to run and jump and thrust to make a jump etc. Sprinting into a room and sliding/body checking is also really fun but punishing if you miss (which occured frequently).

I think sprint is a positive force now instead of primarily negative. At least it seemed to be in the beta.

Call me crazy.
You're crazy.
Sprint still makes map movement worse because you can't be ready for gunfight and move fast at the same time. If you're sprinting to Carbine and enemy pops out, you're as good as dead (you might escape with thruster). If you're walking to Carbine like some old grandma, it takes too long.

Halo is about choosing what one specific area I want to currently perform well in. The skill in Halo comes from choosing when I need to sprint or when I need to ads or when I need to clamber. Active mobility perk! Activate stability perk! Activate acrobat perk!

Halo is about choosing what one specific area I want to currently perform well in. The skill in Halo comes from choosing when I need to sprint or when I need to ads or when I need to clamber. Active mobility perk! Activate stability perk! Activate acrobat perk!

I need that picture of Indigo from the Princess Bride, cause you keep saying perk, and I don't think that word means what you think it means.

You're crazy.
Sprint still makes map movement worse because you can't be ready for gunfight and move fast at the same time. If you're sprinting to Carbine and enemy pops out, you're as good as dead (you might escape with thruster). If you're walking to Carbine like some old grandma, it takes too long.

isn't that how risk vs reward works

You're crazy.

I disagree, but I see your point. It certainly requires a different style of play. From my 11 hours of playing I felt I got the hang of when to sprint and when not to. Never felt burdened when I wasn't sprinting.

Of course I was playing semi-pros and they don't run around like derps either.

Spartans were too OP in Classic Halo. A guy was running at full speed, firing at full accuracy, and performing a high jump...ALL AT THE SAME TIME! Sprint, ADS, and Clamber make Halo better because I have to tactically choose which area I want to perform well in.

RBK

Banned
You're crazy.

That kind of solves the issue don't you think?

You're crazy.

They could stand to up the base move speed (say, 110% or 120%), but at the same time picking and choosing when you need that speed boost creates an interesting balance.

TheOddOne

Sprint, ADS, and Clamber share the same design mentality as Perks: You can only be good at one thing at a time.

Perks make Halo better because you have to access the situation then pick the appropriate perks for the situation at hand.

This whole train of thought doesn't make a lick of sense.

Spartans were too OP in Classic Halo. A guy was running at full speed, firing at full accuracy, and performing a high jump...ALL AT THE SAME TIME! Sprint, ADS, and Clamber make Halo better because I have to tactically choose which area I want to perform well in.

are you

are you thinking about the things that come out of your mouth anymore or do you randomly spout HaloWaypoint posts in random order

They could stand to up the base move speed (say, 110% or 120%), but at the same time picking and choosing when you need that speed boost creates an interesting balance.

I could stand for them to up the base movement speed a bit. However like you said, the dynamic of choice in regards to movement is certainly interesting and fun.

It's very new/different in that regard, but I'm not seeing that as primarily negative.

Madness

or adding dual wielding, which fundamentally changed the combat loop of Halo, or destructible vehicles/hijacking which fundamentally changed the vehicular gameplay of Halo, or the lack of health packs, or anything that isn't Halo CE essentially

how can you honestly call any of the Halo sequels Halo. Give me a fuckin' break.

Play a match of Halo CE slayer, play a match of Halo 2 slayer, play a match of Halo 3 slayer, play a match of Halo 2 Anniversary slayer. Then play a match of Reach slayer, a match of Halo 4 slayer, and a match of Halo 5 slayer. Pretty certain the 4 former games will play closer to each other than the latter 3.

I think aside from small changes in movement speed, fall damage, health/shields post CE, and different weapons, vehicles, maps, the biggest changes are things like dual wielding, vehicle boarding/destruction, and equipment for games CE/2/3.

I get what you're saying though.

Edit: the other shoe hasn't dropped yet. We've only been shown arena game play. We still haven't been shown their massive changes to BTB or whether they're brining non-Arena/Infinity back. These 3 weeks aren't necessarily going to be indicative of the final game at all.

jem0208

I could stand for them to up the base movement speed a bit. However like you said, the dynamic of choice in regards to movement is certainly interesting and fun.

It's very new/different in that regard, but I'm not seeing that as primarily negative.
That's my problem with a lot of the arguments against sprint. I can see the effects and I agree that those effects are there. I've yet to see a post which eloquently explains why those effects are inherently negative though. Beyond being different to classic Halo.

RSB

Banned
You're crazy.
Run and gun >>>>> Run or gun

It really sucks that pretty much every console shooter is a "run or gun" shooter now. But hey, "it is expected", so sprint has got to be there, obviously. Who cares about diversity, right? Yay, homogenization!

Run and gun >>>>> Run or gun

It really sucks that pretty much every console shooter is a "run or gun" shooter now. But hey, "it is expected", so sprint has got to be there, obviously. Who cares about diversity, right? Yay, homogenization!

It's still very much run and gun. Mastering your movement options is critical to coming out on top in fire fights.

Which you'd know if you'd played it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom