• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwells

I came in here to be moderately positive with my impressions of my first H5 match, and then I saw the $250 preorder. All is right with the world, my salt has been restored.

Seriously though, it's really irritating to see them come out offering $250 preorders a year from launch when the title I preordered and picked up at midnight (only times I've done that are Halo 3 and Halo 2) is still very, very broken and MS hasn't said a word about it. Like, maybe show a little compassion and make your most loyal fans feel like you care a bit?

As for the beta, I did enjoy the match I played. It seemed fun. But goddamn do I feel dirty playing with a CoD control scheme and ADSing constantly.

Really hope they make each grenade have its own sound when selected. Not being able to tell what I've switched to without looking is kind of annoying.

jem0208

I still don't like the fact that ranking is entirely based off of winning or losing.

2 games in a row I've been the best player in the match but the rest of my team has sucked so I've lost points. It makes no sense...

I still don't like the fact that ranking is entirely based off of winning or losing.

2 games in a row I've been the best player in the match but the rest of my team has sucked so I've lost points. It makes no sense...

It should encourage a good team. I should be on all week, would be willing to join ya man.

I know what you mean, but I feel like it encourages team work not just individual performance which can be entirely context driven.

Often times a player/s on the winning team won't have as much kills but his assists and set up plays are amazing for the team. If this kind of player was rewarded less it would send the wrong message.

The message this sends is that the team that wins together ranks up together and I prefer that.

m23

Did you play Halo 3? I really like the system. I hope the amount you drop is decreased though if you do well in the match, if you lose.

link1201

It should encourage a good team. I should be on all week, would be willing to join ya man.

I know what you mean, but I feel like it encourages team work not just individual performance which can be entirely context driven.

Often times a player/s on the winning team won't have as much kills but his assists and set up plays are amazing for the team. If this kind of player was rewarded less it would send the wrong message.

The message this sends is that the team that wins together ranks up together and I prefer that.
I do too!!
Edit:
Posting this here as well. Link to 343s feedback program.
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/halo-community-feedback-program

2. The ring and the Lekgolo have both existed for a lot longer than the last few years...

4oYNvro.png

I don't know how I didn't put it together before, but it's pretty awesome that the Hunters earned their place as mobile scorched earth platforms because of their original resiliency outside of the Mgalekgolo permutation. They're basically the cockroaches of the Covenant! When the rings go off, it's just roaches, Lekgolo and twinkies.

and shield worlds

EDIT: It also goes a long way in explaining how nothing short of explosive magnum rounds can really ever one-shot Hunters.

Madness

It still doesn't make too much sense to me though that the best player on the losing team ranks down, and yet the worst player on the winning team ranks up. Of course like any sport the team that wins advances, but the way rank is reflected, it reads like this person is really shitty at team slayer, when that could be far from the case.

The rank is personal rank. It reflects the person's skill level. So tell me, is basing it primarily off of rudimentary win/loss really a good indicator of the persons individual skill level for that playlist? What if he easily gets more kills than deaths, has tons of assists etc. He could easily be ranked much higher had he been backpacked with better players. It's somewhat equivalent to giving some guy a C+ in PE class because he got paired with benchwarmers and lost and yet he was easily the best player out there.

Maybe they can make it where you lose far less than if you were actually bad, because for some matches, I probably lost more progression for a loss where I easily outclassed other players, than I would gain if I won.

jem0208

That's the third game in a row I've been top of the entire game but I've gone down.

I can see what you guys mean, but I don't think it works in it's current implementation. You shouldn't be punished for bad teammates. You also shouldn't be rewarded if you're on a team which does really well but you suck

I think there should be a bonus for winning, and a penalty for losing. However whether or not you win shouldn't be the only thing determining whether you gain rank or lose rank. If you do really well but your team loses you should still rank up but not as much as someone who wins. If you do really bad but still win you should lose rank.

I would have joined you then btw but I've got to eat in 5 minutes :/

VinFTW

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and stop playing till I get a group with some good HaloGAF players.

Getting quitters and 1 kill heros isn't fun for me, ESPECIALLY when I'm trying to get my semi-pro rank back.

HTupolev

First impressions:

1-Yep, looks a lot like 720p. :)
2-They might need to trim some of the control features. Maybe it's just me being new to Halo 5, but it feels like they're a few mechanics over what works well on that gamepad.
3-The spartans posturing before and after the matches is dumb.
4-Spartan chatter is sort of useful, but annoying. So far my impression is that I'd rather it be removed, but at the very least it needs to be toned down.
5-Killcam music must be removed, or at least changed to something that doesn't make me want to put a sledgehammer through the XB1.
6-I would have preferred projectiles, and I think the availability of strong hitscan weapons is problematic, though it's nice that the aim assist doesn't seem that strong (I'll see how my opinion evolves as I acclimate to it).

Hopefully I get donged on less badly after shuffling the control schemes a bit, this game really does seem clumsy compared with its predecessors.

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and stop playing till I get a group with some good HaloGAF players.

Getting quitters and 1 kill heros isn't fun for me, ESPECIALLY when I'm trying to get my semi-pro rank back.

Dude I'm sorry but that is not the point of the beta.

If y'all care about rank this much already than good grief.

VinFTW

Dude I'm sorry but that is not the point of the beta.

If y'all care about rank this much already than good grief.

You clearly haven't been paying attention to much of what I post.

I've already stated I will have a big write up w/ feedback. And I meant not play till later, not all together.

Calm yourself.

Also, yeah, I do care about rank, Beta or not, rankings are what made Halo so fun for me, not getting shitty teammates and struggling to win games.

Madness

I wish there was a way we could just screw around alone on the map. I want to try out control schemes and get better feel for the maps, and test out the features, but hard to do in a match.

This time went in with Recon over Default because I didn't want to get used to it again. Though because of sprint, I'm finding it easier to use Halo 4 controls as well. Ideally I'd prefer Recon, but I may just go to default it seems.

dwells

Is there a way to increase the brightness? Between the black crush on the Xbone, the dark maps, and the new look, I often find myself up near a wall and totally disoriented.

You clearly haven't been paying attention to much of what I post.

I've already stated I will have a big write up w/ feedback. And I meant not play till later, not all together.

Calm yourself.

Also, yeah, I do care about rank, Beta or not, rankings are what made Halo so fun for me, not getting shitty teammates and struggling to win games.

I understand but losing is part of the experience lol ;)

Anyways I'm up for playing if you need someone.

Ramirez

I wish there was a way we could just screw around alone on the map. I want to try out control schemes and get better feel for the maps, and test out the features, but hard to do in a match.

This time went in with Recon over Default because I didn't want to get used to it again. Though because of sprint, I'm finding it easier to use Halo 4 controls as well. Ideally I'd prefer Recon, but I may just go to default it seems.

I use Recon, what don't you like about it? Maybe the game felt "not Halo" to you because of the left trigger ADS? There's no way I could play the game with grenades on a bumper.

I feel like putting ADS on left trigger tricks your mind into thinking you have to use it more too, same as if sprint was on left stick push in. I hardly used ADS at all unless I had a DMR, and sprint being on X makes me not automatically start sprinting every time I think I'm in trouble. I still played the game like Halo, and I was successful. I'd learn Recon, couldn't hurt to give it a long audition.

Didn't Bungie have individual ranks in Reach? I may be misremembering.

My memory is foggy, but I remember assists not counting for hardly anything at one point, to the point it was better to let a teammate die and clean up the kill than it was to help them and get an assist. The Arena was pretty terrible I thought. At the end of he day, wins/losses is all that should matter in a team game. If you score 50 points in a game of basketball, but still lose, you lost, there's no consolation prize. Same as getting 20 kills and losing, your team lost, why should you be rewarded? Either get better friends, if you care that much, or stop playing with randoms. When you start trying to add in little rank consolation prizes, it just dilutes the whole system, IMO.

this still makes me sad. i never thought id see the day 4 player split screen isn't in halo

I just have a feeling since we are a year away from its release, that 4 player split will make it into the game. Doing just 2 will kill local play, something that I don't thing 343 wants to do. Also they haven't even talked about local MP yet I believe? (all this is worthless if its been confirmed via tweet)

DJ Gunner

Man. Is there anyone else here that lost all appetite for H5 after the combination of MCC's launch and the inclusion of sprint/ADS? I have literally no desire to install it, let alone play it. Not looking to crap on anyone's excitement, just curious if the whole recent experience turned anyone else off as much as me.

Madness

I use Recon, what don't you like about it? Maybe the game felt "not Halo" to you because of the left trigger ADS? There's no way I could play the game with grenades on a bumper.

I feel like putting ADS on left trigger tricks your mind into thinking you have to use it more too, same as if sprint was on left stick push in. I hardly used ADS at all unless I had a DMR, and sprint being on X makes me not automatically start sprinting every time I think I'm in trouble. I still played the game like Halo, and I was successful. I'd learn Recon, couldn't hurt to give it a long audition.

You're right man. I'm barely using ADS now because of Recon. Only when it's needed to zoom for shots further, ie BR or DMR. I'd still prefer classic zoom anyday. But same goes for sprint. Having to press X to sprint has maybe cut down on how much I'm actually sprinting in the match by like 90%

The biggest issues is having to jump, thrust, clamber etc. quickly and resisting urge to accidentally fire a grenade when I want to aim.

King Leo

Neo Member
Got online really excited. Been here for 20 minutes trying to get into a match. I find players but then the whole screen flickers and it says the session has timed out. Oh 343, you're so good at fucking up my hype. Hopefully I'll be able to play eventually.

GrizzNKev

Banned
It still doesn't make too much sense to me though that the best player on the losing team ranks down, and yet the worst player on the winning team ranks up. Of course like any sport the team that wins advances, but the way rank is reflected, it reads like this person is really shitty at team slayer, when that could be far from the case.

The rank is personal rank. It reflects the person's skill level. So tell me, is basing it primarily off of rudimentary win/loss really a good indicator of the persons individual skill level for that playlist? What if he easily gets more kills than deaths, has tons of assists etc. He could easily be ranked much higher had he been backpacked with better players. It's somewhat equivalent to giving some guy a C+ in PE class because he got paired with benchwarmers and lost and yet he was easily the best player out there.

Maybe they can make it where you lose far less than if you were actually bad, because for some matches, I probably lost more progression for a loss where I easily outclassed other players, than I would gain if I won.

It works because there's a ceiling. At some point in the high tiers, one bad player dragging down the team is a guaranteed loss every time. Bad players will never be pro, no matter how many times they get carried.

TheOddOne

Apologies to both Robbert and VisceralBowl. I seem to be running into problems with parties.

The matches I did play with you guys was cool, tho.

dwells

I don't know if I suck, or what. Went 7 and 20 last game, although my team had a grand total of 9 kills including my 7. But I've lost all of the last few games I've played.

Not a fan of how Midship plays. Spawning and not having a chance to do anything before he two enemy swords sprint thrust their way across the map and kill you instantly is not fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom