• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

Yeah now that it's been brought to my attention, I'm noticing the flinch. What were they thinking bringing it back in any form? Ruins hip firing. Is it because you want to force people to use ADS and not user hip fire all the time?

woodland

So I'm loving the beta so far, but still don't like a few things.

-Sprint is still pointless. The maps are massive because of it still and I don't think it adds anything to the game. If anything, thruster + sprint lets you get away from almost anything if you're halfway decent.

-ADS is really fucking obscuring. I feel like I can't see shit on maps that are already hard to see on thanks to 343's insanely dark/camouflaging color schemes. H2V maps have this problem a lot, but in the beta so far only Midship has this problem that I've played. In addition, you have these glowing lines like on the BR sight that make it even more cluttered on the screen.

-More along the topic of screen clutter, but jesus the fucking Prophet's Bane kills half the screen. Really? No one at 343 thought it was too bright or obscuring?

-Sniper feels a little bit delayed/laggy going in and out of scope.

-Controller schemes seem really cluttered. I just want stuff to be fully map-able ;\ Seems like the only way I can have some semblance of my old Halo controls with jump on A, melee on B, and grenades on L trigger is to have sprint on X, which only works thanks to my claw.

-Following up on melees, assassinations are still in the games? This mechanic is so fucking dumb. I don't need eye candy thats set up by a button press thats so sensitive you could gently blow on it and it would go off instantly. That shit gets me killed rarely, but when it does its so freaking frustrating, what a pointless feature.

Everything else is pretty great. I don't mind clamber though I still prefer skill jumps with crouch. Thruster feels perfect - responsive and useful. Should've been this way in 4. Don't see ground pound or slide often, but ground pound isn't even close to OP like tons of people here worried about. Love the autoaim levels and everything. The maps are pretty fine too, my only complaint is it can be pretty tough to see on Midship sometimes.

Ramirez

Yeah now that it's been brought to my attention, I'm noticing the flinch. What were they thinking bringing it back in any form? Ruins hip firing. Is it because you want to force people to use ADS and not user hip fire all the time?

That couldn't be the reasoning, because you get descoped when you're hit in ADS, lol.

I honestly don't remember, but do rifles make you flinch, or is it just automatics?

link1201

I use Recon, what don't you like about it? Maybe the game felt "not Halo" to you because of the left trigger ADS? There's no way I could play the game with grenades on a bumper.

I feel like putting ADS on left trigger tricks your mind into thinking you have to use it more too, same as if sprint was on left stick push in. I hardly used ADS at all unless I had a DMR, and sprint being on X makes me not automatically start sprinting every time I think I'm in trouble. I still played the game like Halo, and I was successful. I'd learn Recon, couldn't hurt to give it a long audition.

My memory is foggy, but I remember assists not counting for hardly anything at one point, to the point it was better to let a teammate die and clean up the kill than it was to help them and get an assist. The Arena was pretty terrible I thought. At the end of he day, wins/losses is all that should matter in a team game. If you score 50 points in a game of basketball, but still lose, you lost, there's no consolation prize. Same as getting 20 kills and losing, your team lost, why should you be rewarded? Either get better friends, if you care that much, or stop playing with randoms. When you start trying to add in little rank consolation prizes, it just dilutes the whole system, IMO.

I agree. I am very happy with ranking thus far. I just remember there was some sort of complaint about the ranks favoring individual performance in Reach.

jem0208

Pretty sure this isn't the case. If you're getting shot you'll get knocked out of scope.

Tawpgun

It doesn't accomplish that either because De-scope is in. SMG and AR are almost on the same level, but the SMG while scoped is a monster. But in order to use it well you need the drop on people. I don't really notice flinch except when I have the sniper though.

VinFTW

Now I'm not getting anything for my wins -_-

I feel like if I'm not going to be rewarded for going 15-2 and/or winning on my CSR, I should at least be getting some love on my SR.

Idk, feels pretty lame to only get 4-8 points for the last 3 wins. Then again, it is a beta and I'm probably matching people I shouldn't be.

Now that I've gotten the hang of it ground pound seems like a really good way to move around the map. I've been able to pop shields with it but I've also been killed midmove. Gonna play with it more but it is a really great way to get away from someone if you're willing to bail off the high ground.

Ramirez

Now that I've gotten the hang of it ground pound seems like a really good way to move around the map. I've been able to pop shields with it but I've also been killed midmove. Gonna play with it more but it is a really great way to get away from someone if you're willing to bail off the high ground.

The "stun" on yourself would just get you killed more often than not.

VinFTW

It doesn't sound that bad in a "Jeff Steitzer that announcement was funny in an unintentional way" way

lmao

IMO, the worst is the Double Kill. I think if they took how he said Perfect and apply it to every medal it would be my favorite Steitzer game.

Still can't seem to find the right sensitivity.

Also noticing the hit boxes seem really wonky. I sometimes clearly shoot past a person's head and get the kill anyways.

Madness

Because of the new players, it's hard to get similar skill matched games. Went almost 37-3 for our team before they finally were able to get the basics down. Ended up with a ridiculous score.

Do the H5 beta medals or matches played show up on Waypoint? I'd like to know half the stuff that gets announced at the bottom and what's it's for or to see past match stats.

10858433_1034877616527639_8826608862297339803_n.jpg

Ampoc

Neo Member
So, I have played a few games of the beta and I'm still going, but I feel like putting together a chart of what I like and don't like, so caution, opinions ahead:

- Fast-paced, smooth gameplay

- Truth (the map actually feels like a map that was near-perfectly built for H5 with all it's abilities, not completely open and has a good mix of indoor+outdoor battles, never have been thrown into battle 10 seconds after spawn either)

- Variety of abilities (offers a level of thinking in where you need to be ready to use the right ability given the current situation, eg: Evading to dodge sword-lunge, getting your last shots in by stabilizing mid-air, performing a ground pound quickly and at the right time)

- Holding a weapon actually feels like you're holding a weapon

- Limit to sprint (was skeptical at first, but I honestly find myself having to stay put a lot to recharge my shields, this is a great method to balancing sprint)

- Graphics. Simply beautiful.

- UI is pretty great, easy to take a look at stats and what not I guess.

- The amour type's are actually really sexy. They have the right futuristic architecture but don't look completely jumbled up like Halo 4's.

DISLIKES:

- Empire (map just feels a little too open to me, and most of the time when I spawn I get immediately shot by a sniper or like other long ranged weapon quite often, I encounter enemies toooo quick as I spawn)

- Weapons.... too op? (I feel like I get teared to shreds by like any gun. Maybe I'm just used to H2A but, dying just feels too quick sometimes with any weapon besides the DMR and Magnum. I understand Halo 5 is going into that gameplay direction but most games dying just becomes a routine
im gud at da game i swur
)

- Spartan Customization Screen (pretty sure everyone has said it's too dark, but UI is likely to change completely at launch anyway I assume)

- Prophet's Bane (pretty sure everyone has said it's too bright)

IN THE MIDDLE:

- Not really sure how I feel about Ground Pound and Charge. I don't like the idea of being able to insta-kill someone unless you're behind them, but I guess they both have their limits to them, but I'm still 'eeeh' about them.

Yeah, that's pretty much my thoughts so far. Great game though, excited to see the other maps and what not, but that's it. Feel free to disagree with anything I said and/or call me an idiot. Happy beta guys :)

FyreWulff

Didn't Bungie have individual ranks in Reach? I may be misremembering.

They did, ranked Reach should have been FFA due to people optimizing by letting teammates die in team games

they later made it all win/loss, which made the rating somewhat pointless, since before the point was it was impossible to be boosted to high rank because if you were crap, you would lose rank even if your team won. afterwards it was just an extra number

King Leo

Neo Member
First thing I notice when playing: every weapon plays a role. Seriously, every weapon has a purpose. Haven't seen this since CE.

link1201

They did, ranked Reach should have been FFA due to people optimizing by letting teammates die in team games

they later made it all win/loss, which made the rating somewhat pointless, since before the point was it was impossible to be boosted to high rank because if you were crap, you would lose rank even if your team won. afterwards it was just an extra number
I see. Thanks, I thought it was something like that. So far I much prefer this system.

Tawpgun

Got bumped down to Semi pro again without doing anything. Looks like the Top 200 Pro rank is working. More people are probs getting ranked.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
- Weapons.... too op? (I feel like I get teared to shreds by like any gun. Maybe I'm just used to H2A but, dying just feels too quick sometimes with any weapon besides the DMR and Magnum. I understand Halo 5 is going into that gameplay direction but most games dying just becomes a routine

Time to kill needs to be fast. Halo CE's time to kill is perfect, and I haven't seen it replicated since Halo CE. None of the other Halos have a fast TTK.

It looks like the TTK in Halo 5 is pretty fast, but I can't tell if it's as fast as HCE since I haven't gotten to play the beta yet.

jem0208

First thing I notice when playing: every weapon plays a role. Seriously, every weapon has a purpose. Haven't seen this since CE.
It's really good in this regard.

I've actually been swapping to my AR whilst holding my BR when in close quarters...

Time to kill needs to be fast. Halo CE's time to kill is perfect, and I haven't seen it replicated since Halo CE. None of the other Halos have a fast TTK.

It looks like the TTK in Halo 5 is pretty fast, but I can't tell if it's as fast as HCE since I haven't gotten to play the beta yet.

The TTK is pretty fast. Any quicker and it would be ridiculous.

DJ Gunner

The difference being that TTK in CE was only achievable with the pistol and power weapons. It sounds like ( I haven't played it, so just going by what I'm reading and videos) that the TTK with automatics is super low in H5.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
The difference being that TTK in CE was only achievable with the pistol and power weapons. It sounds like ( I haven't played it, so just going by what I'm reading and videos) that the TTK with automatics is super low in H5.

I don't mind the TTK on an automatic being low, the AR in HCE had a pretty low TTK, but the pistol in H5 should kill just as fast as the HCE one in my opinion.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
It's really good in this regard.

I've actually been swapping to my AR whilst holding my BR when in close quarters...

That reminds me of Shadowrun. I'd always have a rifle/SMG loadout, if I had the money to buy both every round. The rifle was basically garbage for close quarters, and I'd switch to SMG and drain people so fast.

Weapon roles should be designed in Halo, it's awesome when they do...e.g., Halo CE.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Done with the Beta until BR starts happen.

Is the AR/Pistol start really bad?

Can you explain in detail why you want BR starts? I was really hoping for Halo 5 to be an out of the box competitive game where we don't have to alter weapon settings just to achieve a competitive game.

Funny thing is that i'm switching to the AR most of the time even when I have a BR/DMR. I can kill most people before they even have a chance to four shot me and it's really hard for them to do so because of flinch.

#noflinch

Can you explain in detail why you want BR starts? I was really hoping for Halo 5 to be an out of the box competitive game where we don't have to alter weapon settings just to achieve a competitive game.

AR is too strong at the moment and flinch makes it even worse

jem0208

I think AT/Pistol starts are great. They're both viable weapons now, and more importantly, fun to use.

King Leo

Neo Member
Is it just me or does the pistol have lower aim assist than every other weapon? Feels satisfying when you get a kill with it. I also find myself hardly using sprint in any encounter, which is good. I thrust more than anything. When someone tries to escape with sprint, they fail 80% of the time. Not sure if it differs in the higher ranks, but that's my experience so far.

Madness

Why couldn't they reset ranks. My early matches have completely fucked me over. I'm going like 20+ kills every match, with a KD of over 10.0 etc. If I get paired with randoms and I lose, I go down. When I win, I barely go up much because my opponents are all shit.

I'm not saying I'm a pro or even that good, but I'm almost certain I'm ranked far too low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom