• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwells

I honestly think sprint and the quicker TTK slow the game down and make it less exciting than earlier games. Lots more camping and people not being visible and forced behind cover as a result. Before you had more freedoms to put yourself a little in the open and move from point to point if you were willing to put some crossfire out to descope people. Now there's a ton of hiding and the map seems quiet a lot of the time.

VinFTW

WHAT THE FUCK

I fucking lost and I get a -12 decrease against Pros?! Clearly I have a gambling problem. I just want to play and nobody accepts invites so I solo que and get fucking spanked because my teammates are shooting butterflies out of the sky.

I honestly think sprint and the quicker TTK slow the game down and make it less exciting than earlier games. Lots more camping and people not being visible and forced behind cover as a result. Before you had more freedoms to put yourself a little in the open and move from point to point if you were willing to put some crossfire out to descope people. Now there's a ton of hiding and the map seems quiet a lot of the time.

What rank? I'm onyx and playing semi pros and doesn't feel like that at all.

Btw, radar empowers cheesy plays and camping. I wouldn't blame the new features wow yet. All halos felt like that with radar to some extent.

dwells

What rank? I'm onyx and playing semi pros and doesn't feel like that at all.
Gold 3. The comment applies more to Midship than anything though. Making that map so huge totally ruins its feel.

Just got into a three on four game. 3v4 Industries is alive and well, baby!

WHAT THE FUCK

I fucking lost and I get a -12 decrease against Pros?! Clearly I have a gambling problem. I just want to play and nobody accepts invites so I solo que and get fucking spanked because my teammates are shooting butterflies out of the sky.
Stop playing with scrubs

TTUVAPOR

Banned
First impressions. I played two matches, to the finish of each one and on each map.

First match, I was frustrated with the controls, so I couldn't really get a grasp for the game because the majority of the time I was switching my controller settings during the game. I finally just put them on Halo 4 controls...the other ones are horrible for Halo...e.g., the default COD-style...no thank you.

My second match I was able to finally enjoy the game.

So, here's my impressions after two matches:

Controls
I couldn't find any good control settings, so I just picked Halo 4. I was hoping for something more along the lines of Halo 2 classic settings, but that's not offered.

Movement
Sprint is eh...I almost ignored the fact that existed, I used and abused it best I could, but to be honest, I didn't really care for it much. I'd enjoy a faster movement speed over sprint, but the maps are tuned for sprint.

Clamber is a bit weird. I switched my setting to hold the button so that if I come to a ledge that can be clambered, it will auto do it. I think it's an interesting mechanic but I also think the skill jumps are basically gone. The jump under middy bases opposite the jump pad is a great design decision, but the clamber kinda negates it. I think it should be a challenge to make that jump rather than make it a given.

Thrusters...didn't use them much at all, so I'm not going to comment on them. I guess they can be combined with a full sprint combined with a jump to go further distances? I really didn't use them, I just played the game like they didn't exist.

Didn't touch ground and pound cause I dont know how to do it...

Didn't touch the mid-air hovering thing cause I also don't know how to do it...

Shooting
The aim down the sights thing is eh...I'd rather have scopes than cosmetic sights.

The pistol is a beast. I was thinking it was going to suck based on some people's responses of the beta but I basically used it as my primary weapon.

The AR is good, I think it's a solid mid range to close range weapon, I honestly don't think the dmg on it should be touched. I was able to pistol people at mid range while they were ARing me.

The BR, DMR and Snipe...I rarely picked up. I found myself just using the pistol the entire time. The rate of fire on the pistol out plays the BR and DMR...and since sprinting allows you to push forward on someone faster, the range of the BR and DMR basically gets shortened and the pistol wins majority of the time against those weapons.

When I picked up the BR and DMR, I felt that you couldn't use them traditionally like Halo 2, you pretty much have to use them as medium to long distance weapons. That's fine in my opinion because I prefer situational-use weapon design, I think it makes for a better game.

As for other weapons in the game, I didn't pick them up, so I'm not going to comment on them.

In a nutshell, I want to definitely play more of the game and spend more time with it, but first impressions after two matches are that I love the pistol, and if I could change one thing about the pistol, I'd ask for more ammo in a single mag. I think the rate of fire on the pistol is amazing, it fires faster than HCE but you can go through a single mag pretty quick, so if you're missing your shots, you're gonna be stuck in a reload while the other guy kills you.

The game feels very fast, much faster than all the Halos except Halo CE. I still think HCE is a faster game because the time to kill is super fast.

I'll post more impressions tomorrow when I'm work, provided I get to play some more tonight before bed.

EDIT:
One other thing I wanted to make a comment on, the power weapon timing and powerup timing simply does not exist. I really wish 343 would bring that style of Halo back. Instead of an announcer announcing when things are dropping, make the players have to keep track of it, it makes it fun in my opinion.

Right now the game doesn't feel at all like traditional Halo, such as HCE and H2. It just feels like spawn, and start shooting at people and find them. I don't get the feeling that I need to seek out weapons, powerweapons or powerups.

So...it kinda feels like a generic COD deathmatch game because there's not enough emphasis on gaining powerweapons and powerups and having to time them in your head.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Gave it another go. Figured it couldn't be that bad twice in a row....

VStZKdI.png

9WbOhHg.png

Welp.

N1BYHIi.gif

Because all three of my teammates went negative. Not my fault if I'm matched with awful players. Why I should I be punished because the matchmaking kinda sucks atm.

I really don't understand why they thought making whether of not you win be the only factor which determines if you rank up or down. There's only so much a single player can do in TS. Ranking is a reflection of a player's skill, not of how lucky they are with the matchmaking.

It simplifies ranking greatly, however. Gametype agnosticism is quite valuable. Players being able to understand the system is also very valuable.

Something more complex than "Did your team win?" would have to be substantially more complex. And honestly, I don't want to be matched with better players if I'm losing match after match, even if I'm doing "well."

Gold 3. The comment applies more to Midship than anything though. Making that map so huge totally ruins its feel.

Just got into a three on four game. 3v4 Industries is alive and well, baby!

Just got playing several truth matches. They are super intense.

Give it a while.

jem0208

Because it's team slayer. The whole point is to win for your team.

Let's propose a hypothetical player with superhuman reflexes, aim, and awareness. They go 25-0, every game. But, on the other hand, they don't help control the map.

At all.

As such, the entire rest of their team is consistently slaughtered. All together, they pick up 12 kills between them, and go hugely negative. This super player loses all of his games... as they should. Because playing with the team is even more important as playing well individually.

First off, that hypothetical is ridiculous. Having one extra player helping to control the map isn't going to magically make the rest of his team perform well. Map control isn't even that important at most skill levels in TS.

Let's take a more realistic scenario. A player plays very well, stats wise is top of the game, he also helps control the map. However his team loses by less than 5 points. For some odd reason he loses 20 rank points. This is more realistic because it happened to me in 4 or 5 of the matches I've played tonight. There was very little more that I could have done, yet because the team lost I am guaranteed to lose points.

Let's look at another scenario. A player gets 1 kill, 2 assists and 15 deaths yet somehow his team wins anyway. Why the hell are they ranking up?

The system just doesn't work very well. I'm not saying that winning or losing shouldn't factor into whether you rank up or down, however it shouldn't be the sole factor which decides it.

I think a better system would be a set bonus if you win and a set punishment if you lose. These are then added or subtracted from the points you get for your skill.

For example...

Excellent player but team loses:

- +20 points due to performance
- -15 points due to loss
- total points = +5

Excellent player and team wins:

- 20 + 15 = 35 total points

Bad player but team wins:

- -20 points due to performance
- +15 points for win
- total points = -5

Bad player and team loses:

- -20 - 15 = -35 points

The problem with using winning or losing as the only factor is that it doesn't take your actual skill into account at all, it assumes you didn't help your team, it assumes you didn't control the map. With a set bonus and penalty, it still promotes teamwork yet also takes into account individual skill.

It simplifies ranking greatly, however. Gametype agnosticism is quite valuable. Players being able to understand the system is also very valuable.

Something more complex than "Did your team win?" would have to be substantially more complex. And honestly, I don't want to be matched with better players if I'm losing match after match, even if I'm doing "well."

It doesn't need to be complicated though. As long as the data is shown to the player in a simple manner people will understand.

Show your points for skill and show the bonus/penalty then show the total, simple.

The problem I'm getting is that I'm consistently placing in the top couple of players in the match but I'm slowly ranking downwards. Mainly because you rank down far quicker than you rank up.

Right now the game doesn't feel at all like traditional Halo, such as HCE and H2. It just feels like spawn, and start shooting at people and find them. I don't get the feeling that I need to seek out weapons, powerweapons or powerups.

So...it kinda feels like a generic COD deathmatch game because there's not enough emphasis on gaining powerweapons and powerups and having to time them in your head.

Play against better players. If you think all you need is a pistol, that's because bad kids are bad.

Instead of an announcer announcing when things are dropping, make the players have to keep track of it, it makes it fun in my opinion.

Remembering timestamps isn't fun. Knowing that the real objective is to fight for the power weapons and not that it's to blindly kill each other is a nice step up from previous iterations of Halo. Halo already has a big enough skill gap without the most important tenants of the game going overlooked by new players.

The problem I'm getting is that I'm consistently placing in the top couple of players in the match but I'm slowly ranking downwards. Mainly because you rank down far quicker than you rank up.

Why would you want to rank up when you lose, though? Rankings serve two purposes, one is for your e-peen and the other is for matchmaking, the latter being the most important. If you're losing match after match, why would you want to continue to play against better players?

I suppose the argument is that you'd just like to play alongside better players... Somewhere in my mind this system is infinitely less complex than it could be and accomplishes largely the same goals. The conceit being that players who play with groups are ranked higher (or ranked higher more quickly) simply because they're fighting the randomness of matchmaking and arguably working together... But if matchmaking is accounting for group-skew, then it all sort of comes out in the wash.

I think I'm OK with Halo 5's ranking system efficaciously as long as I don't get caught up in caring about my rank. But then we're kind of throwing out half of what makes rank "fun." *shrug*

VinFTW

Just went 27-3. Raggy is my gl charm.

Ending on that very good note and going to see a movie. Have fun you guys, don't be like me and let the ranking system get to you :p

Game is so good (so far).

jem0208

Why would you want to rank up when you lose, though? Rankings serve two purposes, one is for your e-peen and the other is for matchmaking, the latter being the most important. If you're losing match after match, why would you want to continue to play against better players?

I suppose the argument is that you'd just like to play alongside better players... Somewhere in my mind this system is infinitely less complex than it could be and accomplishes largely the same goals. The conceit being that players who play with groups are ranked higher simply because they're fighting the randomness of matchmaking... But if matchmaking is accounting for group-rank, then it all sort of comes out in the wash.

I'm not really bothered about e-peen, the problem is that the matchmaking isn't doing it's job. A lot of the time I'm playing people who just aren't very good and it's boring. The problem is my team also suck so we lose, and I play more shit people and so it's more boring. I'd rather play people of a similar skill level and actually enjoy the games.

I've actually noticed that I've won more games than I've lost, my KDA is also pretty high. Yet overall I'm lower now than I was when I was initially placed. There's something wrong there.

VinFTW

Not a good play or anything, but a good example of why I personally love the medal-feed. It's very addicting to get kills. Reminds me of the orange text when you get kills in BF4.

http://xboxclips.com/Vin+FTW/e535629a-38fa-40d2-9de5-9dc7f759703c

best thing about Halo 5 is the sound frag grenades make as they connect with the ground

100% agree. Best grenade indicator ever.

Going off how terrible modern Halo players are (betrays all over in MCC) I'm happy it's gone

King Leo

Neo Member
So after my 10th game it placed me in Onyx 2 according to the progression bar, but when I backed out of the screen it says I'm actually in Gold 2. Well fuck. *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom