• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Have you guys noticed that the "beep" when closing out of settings/service record is the same "beep" that signals the match countdown is over in the older Halos?

Feels weird to hear that every time a menu closes.

btags

AR has a role to play. It's overpowered when it goes beyond close to mid range for gunplay and starts bleeding onto mid range and longer. Coupled with the fact with ADS it's spread is tighter, more accurate, and that flinch is there, it's absolutely taking away from BR and DMR even.

The AR is not a skilled weapon to use, it's far too easy to get kills with and I too think it's overpowered how it currently is. It's not about making it shit, but making sure it doesn't detract from the longer range rifles. Also, saying that BR all the time, how pros use it is boring is ridiculous. It takes far more skill to use than the AR with its spray and pray shooting. Pros use BR because they're not casual players who just want to aim in a general direction and hold down trigger and mop up kills. I can accept someone shredding you with an AR up close. What I cant accept is being 60 feet away being peppered by ADS assault rifle shots while your screen is shaking or you're being descoped trying to get them back.

I agree with the ADS on the AR being too much but jesus, handling a battle rifle is not some heroic feat. And you cannot just spray with the AR and hope to get a kill as anyone who has a BR or DMR can kill you if they can actually aim. People need to stop acting like only pros play with BRs and noobs stick to AR.

Madness

Can't go into details, but at the high level, it's about who you beat or lose to. Ideally, the matchmaking will set you up with an even match so the +/- will be consistent. But if you own a bunch of noobs, you won't go up much. On the other hand, beat a good team and go up more.

Double post, but glad you could share your thoughts Josh. How much weight do the initial 10 matches have? I won't lie and say I didn't spend a lot of the early matches learning the guns, the maps and whatnot. But now I'm stuck in a rank where I have so much better stats than the rest KDA wise, I'm routinely being top player each match, and yet I'll go up 14 points in a win, then we'll lose because of some randos and go down 9, then another match we'll win and I'll go up 7, lose another and go down 11 etc.

Is the only option for me to pair up with some friends that are of much higher ranks, and be backpacked to a higher tier or rank and then see if I go up or drop?

AR has a role to play. It's overpowered when it goes beyond close to mid range for gunplay and starts bleeding onto mid range and longer. Coupled with the fact with ADS it's spread is tighter, more accurate, and that flinch is there, it's absolutely taking away from BR and DMR even.

The AR is not a skilled weapon to use, it's far too easy to get kills with and I too think it's overpowered how it currently is. It's not about making it shit, but making sure it doesn't detract from the longer range rifles. Also, saying that BR all the time, how pros use it is boring is ridiculous. It takes far more skill to use than the AR with its spray and pray shooting. Pros use BR because they're not casual players who just want to aim in a general direction and hold down trigger and mop up kills. I can accept someone shredding you with an AR up close. What I cant accept is being 60 feet away being peppered by ADS assault rifle shots while your screen is shaking or you're being descoped trying to get them back.

Pros use BRs because it has been, traditionally, The Best Gun. That's it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
shut up tashi

shoulder-shrug-meme-607.jpg

Okay, after some more time with the beta, 2 thoughts.

1. Granade spam. OMG.

2. Hit feedback is really weak right now. Often I die just as I realize I'm getting shot. I should know on the first hit rather than the second or third.

Ranker

Neo Member
Double post, but glad you could share your thoughts Josh. How much weight do the initial 10 matches have? I won't lie and say I didn't spend a lot of the early matches learning the guns, the maps and whatnot. But now I'm stuck in a rank where I have so much better stats than the rest KDA wise, I'm routinely being top player each match, and yet I'll go up 14 points in a win, then we'll lose because of some randos and go down 9, then another match we'll win and I'll go up 7, lose another and go down 11 etc.

Is the only option for me to pair up with some friends that are of much higher ranks, and be backpacked to a higher tier or rank and then see if I go up or drop?

You can climb out if you keep playing. What's slowing you down now is just the randomness. If you are better than where you are being matchmade, you will win more than lose and then:
  1. You'll get harder matches.
  2. You'll get more points for winning those.
  3. You'll rank up

You don't need friends to "backpack" you. What playing with friends does is reduces the randonmess and give you more "say" over whether or not you win. Just reducing the randomness gets to your rank faster.

woodland

Quick question: Is there a way to turn off stabilizers? If I jump and scope it automatically keeps me up in the air like a sitting duck.

Sephzilla

The entire reason people think the AR needs a nerf is because we've been living in a BR/DMR dominated world ever since Halo 2. Welcome to Halo where automatic weapons aren't worthless, it's been long overdue.

Basically this seems like a good place for feedback, so here is what I got from the first few games.

Dislike or needs improvement:
~Killcam. No. If you die you don't deserve to see the position of who killed you and everything you can gleam from their HUD like enemy placement and weapons.
Death tune. Kinda grating. Go back to seeing your corpse with the countdown timer. That way you can see if you kill traded, or if someone is teabagging you. The latter is vital.

~Spartan Chatter. Neat concept, inundated with superfluous information. Stuff like picking up a BR, or shields charged, I don't care about usually. Too complimentary, if I do something good I can see a compliment being earned. But I'm getting good kill/assist remarks after sloppily spraying in the direction of an enemy sometimes.

~Ground pound and charge. I like them and wish to use them, but they are rarely worthwhile. GP takes time to charge, easy to botch and entails a vulnerability period while charge can easily miss leaving you rather vulnerable. Could use balancing to make useful enough to bother with.

~Weapon variety. Please add more soon. So far power weapons have largely had no impact on me and gameplay seems to boil down to AR+BR+DMR shooting.
It isn't Halo without pink or purple guns, I don't want 3 weeks of AR+BR+DMRs.

~Is there a blur effect while sprinting? Cause it seems like it, the image quality is far from perfect and the last thing that should be added are blur effects. Just discomforting.

~Scope of DMR is bad. Unaesthetic and kinda disorients your view of anything not in the crosshair.

~Thruster is useful in combat actually, unlike in H4. Adds a nice strafe element.

~Clamber, I like crawling and reaching into areas, exploring nooks and crannies. This makes it so I can do it without being shot to death.

~Running around with the AR gives you a fighting chance at least.

Sephzilla

The sniper rifles on Empire should be replaced with shotguns. The map isn't very saavy for sniping since it's mostly just linear corridors to shoot from and there are no real open areas snipers can truly dominate from. And plus with the slow scoping time of the sniper rifle it makes quickly zooming in on a target almost impossible. The map feels more geared for CQC power weapons like shotguns.

I honestly think Ground Pound could be stripped from the game entirely. The risk vs reward isn't worth it and it just isn't a viable option most of the time.

Ampoc

Neo Member
Well, I'm actually in love. Played Halo 5 away for a solid 5 hours. Was grinding to get my K/D back up (since I let my brother play and he decreased it tremendously) and got to Gold since I was ranked in Silver [II] :/

It felt so great, me and my buds created a full team and we were all communicating and just playing good ol' competitive Halo. Losses were a big deal too, because we were all trying to up our CSR.

Here's a beautiful ninja of mine that I got sometime during our grind.

Haruko

Hitting X while holding Back View to switch between game/party chat wouldnt be so bad, if it wouldn't fail to actually put you back in party chat. Not sure if this is on H5 or the flaky Party app.

Can that action be reassigned to something like a bumper?

DeadNames

Banned
I always considered there to be "lite" power weapons in Halo (bar H4 because everything that you didn't spawn with was a power weapon). In Halo 3, I'd say the Brute Shot, Mauler, PP, etc.

If the AR is going to be as strong as it is, it should be a lite power weapon, but then of course the roles of the AR and SMG may get too convoluted.

Also not a fan of how much grunting my own Spartan does. Jumping, GP, charge, etc.

Jump height should be higher too.

Karl2177

These killcams... There's something wrong with them. Either this game isn't running on dedis or the killcams aren't able to correctly show what took place.

antigoon

Here's my ideal (read: won't happen) solution to the AR problem.

Remove it from the game entirely and leave the SMG as is. Start with magnums or battle rifles. Or remove the SMG and give the AR its exact properties if you feel that the game needs to have an assault rifle in it.

Sephzilla

Here's my ideal (read: won't happen) solution to the AR problem.

Remove it from the game entirely and leave the SMG as is. Start with magnums or battle rifles. Or remove the SMG and give the AR its exact properties if you feel that the game needs to have an assault rifle in it.

no and no.

I know most here prob don't care much about achievements, but I managed to wrap up Halo 2 LASO and get LASO Master today.

So I'm at 449/450 achievements, 4495/4500gs now for Halo: MCC. Just waiting for Feb 11th to unlock the 3-month achievement for the completion. Huzzah! All Halo games complete again (although I only did one version of Spartan Assault.... can't stomach stacking that garbage after I lost my save/all my progress shortly after finishing the XB1 version).

DeadNames

Banned
image.php

I just think the BR and the SMG are way too similar as is and I don't really think there's a need to have two high-ROF spray-tastic automatics.

I feel like the AR should be a lite power weapon for medium range, while the SMG should be a lite power weapon for close range.

I know most here prob don't care much about achievements, but I managed to wrap up Halo 2 LASO and get LASO Master today.

So I'm at 449/450 achievements, 4495/4500gs now for Halo: MCC. Just waiting for Feb 11th to unlock the 3-month achievement for the completion. Huzzah! All Halo games complete again (although I only did one version of Spartan Assault.... can't stomach stacking that garbage after I lost my save/all my progress shortly after finishing the XB1 version).

Nah, that's pretty awesome, congrats. I only plan on doing one LASO (just want a nameplate). I'm running through it on CE, but I might change my mind and do H4 instead.

Tawpgun

The sniper rifles on Empire should be replaced with shotguns. The map isn't very saavy for sniping since it's mostly just linear corridors to shoot from and there are no real open areas snipers can truly dominate from. And plus with the slow scoping time of the sniper rifle it makes quickly zooming in on a target almost impossible. The map feels more geared for CQC power weapons like shotguns.

I honestly think Ground Pound could be stripped from the game entirely. The risk vs reward isn't worth it and it just isn't a viable option most of the time.

You're not playing the same Empire I'm playing. A good sniper can lock shit down. The sightlines are narrow but LONG.

I love sniping on the map. But ONE of the snipers needs to be replaced with something else.

This game is so much fun. However I really do think the pistol needs a range buff. It's the first thing I switch out. Keep the AR as it is, fine, but please consider making the pistol more viable. If anything get rid of the recoil or something.

Thanks for such a great beta so far. Yeah there is party issues and matching issues but that is acceptable at this stage.

Sephzilla

You're not playing the same Empire I'm playing. A good sniper can lock shit down. The sightlines are narrow but LONG.

I love sniping on the map. But ONE of the snipers needs to be replaced with something else.

Every Empire game I've played I see snipers getting #rekd by BRs, DMRs, and Magnums.

I'd actually be okay with one sniper and one other power weapon though. Have the sniper spawn in that outdoor open area and put the shotty in the interior.

Pretty much this. Each good sniping spot has around 2-3 really good sightlines. Makes for an interesting dynamic, in the hands of a good team. Don't try and go top mid with it, that just makes you a target. Tower 2, Outside Blue, Outside Red, and Red and Blue alleys (shortcuts? Still learning the callouts. The spots where you can jump to tower 2) are all good spots.

As for the second sniper... not sure. Maybe replace it with a speed boost powerup? Just not sure how a shotty would play.

QFT

I think a camo or a shotgun would be good in the tower.

King Leo

Neo Member
Honestly I feel the weapon balance is really good aside from nerfing the AR's range when scoped in and the flinch stuff. Basically if you have a BR/DMR, it's best to keep your distance because automatics actually fulfill their purpose in the sandbox now. People view it as OP because of what they're use to, but I like the change.

As someone who's not a moron (nor on Waypoint or Reddit), I think they've got a point. Watching competitive Halo 2 matches (including H2A), basically all that gets used is the BR and the power weapons (excepting Ninja). And honestly? That's kind of boring.

The AR is finally, for the first time since CE*, viable. It can work at mid range, and is strong at short range. That's not overpowered, that's just finally having a place in the sandbox. The SMG is strong, yes, but it's also limited to an on-map pickup, and only works at short range unless scoped. They could stand to reduce the number of them on the map, but other than that, I don't think they should change a thing.

*And even then, it was more of a boost to the cloak than a weapon in its own right.

The thing is I would rather have an AR.

Sephzilla

Honestly I feel the weapon balance is really good aside from nerfing the AR's range when scoped in and the flinch stuff. Basically if you have a BR/DMR, it's best to keep your distance because automatics actually fulfill their purpose in the sandbox now. People view it as OP because of what they're use to, but I like the change.

Exactly. The AR feels OP because we're used to a Halo where ARs and SMGs have always been absolute garbage.

I actually think the H2A AR is pretty decent

link1201

Any one have any problems with their hud disappearing? I was playing and switched to my pistol and then nothing...:/ I should have recorded it...

I really like the weapon balance, everyone weapon has a niche role. However, I believe the smg is definitely over performing atm.

SMG- Close range
AR- Mid range
BR- This is the jack of all trades weapon, it doesn't really excel at any situation, however it's viable in any situation.
DMR- Long range

Pistol is also pretty decent too, unlike in most Halos.

Sephzilla

I'm not trying to be a grumpy old man who's against change but I really don't like the ADS in Halo 5. It really feels like visual clutter that simply gets in the way. The old style aiming was better.

VinFTW

I'm not trying to be a grumpy old man who's against change but I really don't like the ADS in Halo 5. It really feels like visual clutter that simply gets in the way. The old style aiming was better.

Probably in the minority, but I kind of like the BR and DMR scope. Feels like a good trade-off if you're going to use two of the most OP guns in the game. That said, I sort of like the ADS on the BR :/

I'm not against new suggestions/looks for it though. I DO feel the DMR scope should be limiting your peripherals for such a good weapon at all distances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom