• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranker

Neo Member
Yo, Mr. Menke.

I won a game earlier against people in Silver and my performance thingie went up 23. I just won a match even more handily against people in Gold. I only went up 13. wtf, bro?

Yeah, that can be confusing.

It means there are other details I won't go into that supported the first match actually being harder than the second one.These artifacts decrease over time though.

CliQ

Yeah, that can be confusing.

It means there are other details I won't go into that supported the first match actually being harder than the second one.These artifacts decrease over time though.

I got 80 points for a win once. I was between Onyx II and III. Not sure if there is a bonus for winning x number of games in a row but that would make sense.

Ranker

Neo Member
I got 80 points for a win once. I was between Onyx II and III. Not sure if there is a bonus for winning x number of games in a row but that would make sense.

You nailed it when you mentioned being between tiers.

The 80-point win thing is a known UI bug. You didn't get 80 points, you moved from one tier to another and the bug caused the math to come out wrong.

For example, if you lose 20 points while at 10, you end up at 90 (a tier down) It might be doing something like: "Oh, the difference is 90 (after) - 10 (before) = +80!" and then it probably checks and sees it was a loss and changes it to -80, I dunno.

But it's something like that, not looking at the tier change.

You won't ever move that much in points.

Same thing happens when you first place. It'll say something lke +93 or something when you really didn't earn any point, just got initially placed.

All just beta stuff that'll be fixed I'm sure.

CliQ

You nailed it when you mentioned being between tiers.

The 80-point win thing is a known UI bug. You didn't get 80 points, you moved from one tier to another and the bug caused the math to come out wrong.

For example, if you lose 20 points while at 10, you end up at 90 (a tier down) It might be doing something like: "Oh, the difference is 90 (after) - 10 (before) = +80!" and then it probably checks and sees it was a loss and changes it to -80, I dunno.

But it's something like that, not looking at the tier change.

You won't ever move that much in points.

Same thing happens when you first place. It'll say something lke +93 or something when you really didn't earn any point, just got initially placed.

All just beta stuff that'll be fixed I'm sure.

Makes sense.

Omni

I'd go for 900p if it means 90 FoV.
>implying Xbone could handle the game at 1080/60 otherwise xD

But yeah, I'd like the FoV to be a bit higher. Though it doesn't really effect me like others so it's not that high on my list, honestly. I guess after so many years I'm just kinda... used to it

Good news about flinch, it's obnoxious at times.

AR starts are bad, luckily the pistol seems competent.
AR needs a nerf so it can be out done by pistol/rifles more consistently in a firefight.

DeadNames

Banned
Good news about flinch, it's obnoxious at times.

AR starts are bad, luckily the pistol seems competent.
AR needs a nerf so it can be out done by pistol/rifles more consistently in a firefight.

This. I'm not sure why people want the AR to be to go to weapon.

It's not fun. It's not exciting and it's not rewarding to use.

Why so much intermission time? There are no perks, or burn cards to check. Then starts looking for players again...

Time between matches also bothers me in TMCC, the flow should be more constant (game finished, searching players, joining game, map voting, loading... zzz)

I remember playing CS and when the match was finishing voting for the next map and bam!, with Halo now I have to browse internet or play some games in my smartphone between matches.

Finding a match feels so special that aggravates the issue of quitters.

jem0208

You can climb out if you keep playing. What's slowing you down now is just the randomness. If you are better than where you are being matchmade, you will win more than lose and then:
  1. You'll get harder matches.
  2. You'll get more points for winning those.
  3. You'll rank up

You don't need friends to "backpack" you. What playing with friends does is reduces the randonmess and give you more "say" over whether or not you win. Just reducing the randomness gets to your rank faster.

I'm not sure I like this brute force approach to ranking up. You say just keep playing, however I've played for about 6 hours now, I've won about 2/3 of the games and my KDA is reasonably high. Yet for some reason I've gone down from my initial placement.

Sure, I may be at the rank I'm meant to be, but that doesn't seem right when about half of the time I get 20 kills, 2 deaths and I'm at the top of both teams.

The weighting between winning and losing doesn't make much sense either. I'll get -85 when we lose by 2 and +4 when we win by 10. It could be due to playing with lots of players who haven't been placed in a rank yet. And I hope it is, because if this is how the ranking in the final game is going to work I'm just going to ignore it.

The weighting between winning and losing doesn't make much sense either. I'll get -85 when we lose by 2 and +4 when we win by 10. It could be due to playing with lots of players who haven't been placed in a rank yet. And I hope it is, because if this is how the ranking in the final game is going to work I'm just going to ignore it.
The ranks of the enemy players really matter to the ranking. Got some games where the enemy players got no chance because they just werent experienced and got +3, while in other games against gold + onyx guys where the game was really close I got +19.

At a higher level radar completely RUINS the game. You spawn and can't walk 2 feet without a grenade pooping on your shields.

Terrible game with radar.

Funk backin' out. He's scurred confirmed.

EDIT: Or not...?

EDIT2: yup. scurrrrrred.
charles-barkley-falling-asleep-gif.gif

I'm scared of no man. When you kids are scared of getting bodied by pros, I love that shit and welcome the challenge. typwn.

#NoMotionTracker

BONUS CLIP: Squatters no squatting.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Play against better players. If you think all you need is a pistol, that's because bad kids are bad.

Remembering timestamps isn't fun. Knowing that the real objective is to fight for the power weapons and not that it's to blindly kill each other is a nice step up from previous iterations of Halo. Halo already has a big enough skill gap without the most important tenants of the game going overlooked by new players.

I'm going to have to disagree with you. I played some more matches last night and a few this morning before heading into work.

I think the pistol is a beast, however, I would like to see the pistol go to a four-shot kill instead of five. The rate of fire on the pistol is pretty much perfect. Also, I would like to see a stronger zoom on the pistol. Not as strong as the BR/DMR, but perhaps 2% more than what it currently is.

My reasoning for this is because when you do spawn and the other team has rifles, the pistol's scope isn't strong enough to really ping other players out of their scopes.

I did find myself rarely picking up the rifles though. The rate of fire on the rifles are much slower than the pistol, and to me personally, I can't stand slow-firing rifles, I wish they fired as fast as I could pull the trigger, like the pistol.

On the subject of timing power weapons and powerups, that needs to make a return. That is what made Halo a mental game. Like Quake, managing when a weapon drops and timing when you pick it up and when it will respawn again was one of the many fun things about Halo.

There's not much controlling of anything, if any at all in Halo 5 right now. On the midship map...there's a sword...yippee...that's not much of a power weapon. Where's the shotty to counter it? Where's the plasma pistol?

On the other map, there are two snipers...why isn't there a rocket in the center of the map? What about a camo? Overshield? I'd love to see the removal of the countdown of when the weapons drop, and leave it up to the players to manage it in their own heads.

Make it static, that's why it was so fun in HCE, knowing every 30 seconds a sniper would spawn, every 60 a rocket, etc.

Now onto the subject of the automatic weapons being OP or not. I'm really on the fence with this. After playing more and more last night, I used the AR a bit more. I honestly think nerfing the AR's power is a bad thing. Now nerfing its distance, I would be open to that discussion, because I think that's where the pistol should play a role.

In otherwords, for the CQC off spawn, the AR should always dominate, but when you get into the medium range distance combat, the pistol should always out play an AR.

Since the SMG is a pickup weapon, I think its medium range should be stronger than the AR's.

One of two things will happen if the AR gets a nerf. We're going to back to square one when Halo 3 came out. The assault rifle needs to play a role like it did in Halo CE. It should be a weapon that protects you off spawn in close quarters situations. The pistol should be the utility weapon that provides defense from ranged attacks off spawn.

If we nerf the AR, then we defeat the entire purpose of its existance in the first place. I think the main issue people have is with its ease of use, it's holding down the trigger and doing the typical spray n pray style gameplay...but is that not what it was in Halo CE, only it wasn't effective at medium range distances?

I am pleasantly surprised at how Halo 5 is balanced right now. I was seriously expecting a crap game, but I think 343 have really put in some thought as to how to balance the starting weapons. Those who call for BR start games...to be honest (and this is coming from a person who love HCE and BR start H2) it doesn't really need it, at least not in its current state.

If the pistol's power gets nerfed, then we can have the BR start discussion...because now the utility weapon is no longer present off spawn.

Also to be honest, I don't see a whole lot of weapon balancing needed, other than increasing rate of fire on the rifles and making the magnum a four-shot instead of five, but I don't know how that would affect the rest of the sandbox.

What I do think is missing from Halo 5 is the core gameplay of timing power weapons and powerups. If 343 were to put power weapons on static timers, e.g., every 30 seconds the sniper spawns (regardless of whether it's picked up or not, which means at 29 secs in, if you pick up the snipe, one second later, another one will spawn), I believe the game would become a deeper competitive game.

Also, bring back timed powerups. Put them near power weapons like they were in HCE. Rockets/Camo, sniper/OS, etc.

I think Halo 5 has a lot of potential to be one of the best Halo games since HCE. I can't stress it enough how awesome it would be to have the gameplay of timing powerweapons and powerups again. I really do think it adds a lot of value to the game.

Right now, slayer just feels like running around and fragging...not thinking about anything else at all. Even when the announcer says snipers dropping in 10 seconds, etc...it doesn't provide any depth.

There needs to be more going on in the game than just slaying...Halo CE provided that, it was not just about slaying, but it was also about blocking the other team from getting the powerups and powerweapons on the map....it was about total control of the match from controlling the map, controlling the spawns and controlling the items that spawned.

Haruko

Went 10-0 in my placements, but halfway throughh, two of my teammates got placed in Onyx 3 and Gold ?... I ended up in Silver 2.

I'm guessing it's because of my teammates and the bronze + silver duo on opposing team? The rest were still in placements.

My K/D started off rocky as i switched control schemes but is now typically positive... Unfortunately, after being placed, one of my teammates was replaced by another friend who was extremely drunk and was only good for 1 kill per game. At least he was hilarious in party chat, lol.

VinFTW

Fucking eh. I finally got into dragon age a couple days ago and then the halo 5 beta comes out (it came so soon).

Now all I can think about is Halo 5. I just want to play all damn day.

willow ve

I can't get over how important ADS is to the game now. It's breaking my head. It's just a huge fundamental shift from all past Halo games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom