• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dose anyone use the slide feature? I just figured out how to use it but don't see a use for it.

It's not really useful, yeah. I could see it being a "style points" type maneuver, but atm there's just not much use for it. Maybe it's just the maps.

I remember in The Sprint there was some sort of tenuous connection between the slide and Breakdown (the episode with the paintball battle). So it could be that it's more useful there.

Sephzilla

At first I thought stabilizers would be useless but I've been using them to pull off some nice snipes/cleanup kills. Keep it in.

Also groundpound ain't that bad too. I never thought I would say that.

Ground pound isn't bad but honestly I find it kind of a pointless thing to have. The risk/reward isn't there for me since it leaves you fairly vulnerable both during the set up and the aftermath of it and the opportunities to use it (smartly) just aren't very often it seems. And if I have an opportunity to ground pound someone I could probably shoot them and kill them faster.

Ground pound isn't bad but honestly I find it kind of a pointless thing to have. The risk/reward isn't there for me since it leaves you fairly vulnerable both during the set up and the aftermath of it and the opportunities to use it (smartly) just aren't very often it seems. And if I have an opportunity to ground pound someone I could probably shoot them and kill them faster.

It's situationally useful. Coming out of the grav lifts on Truth, it can get you to the ground faster than just waiting, and sometimes pick up a kill.

As an offensive ability it's way too risky (mostly), but as a mobility tool I think it has its place.

Dose anyone use the slide feature? I just figured out how to use it but don't see a use for it.

It covers an equal amount of distance to Spartan Charge. It's mainly for covering ground as a smaller target. Doesn't have a whole lot of use, but with the Spartan Charge -> Thrusters -> Sprint combo existing to cover ground (they have to be used in that order; you can't spartan charge immediately out of a thrust) really quickly, you can switch up Slide if you don't want to accidentally Spartan Charge teammates.

I could see Forgers giving it some mileage by adding small little alcoves / passageways that can only be cleared crouched at higher speeds (so, death pits to some degree using standard crouch-walking) that would allow you to make escapes or map movements and screw over aggressors.

Quick clip of me traversing all of Empire in like 10 seconds. Thanks, Spartan Abilities!

Sephzilla

It's situationally useful. Coming out of the grav lifts on Truth, it can get you to the ground faster than just waiting, and sometimes pick up a kill.

As an offensive ability it's way too risky (mostly), but as a mobility tool I think it has its place.

I can totally accept that as an argument for keeping it in the game. I just think that outside of mobility it's going to be something that's used less and less the higher up the competitive ladder you go.

Sorry, but even though I played MLG religiously... I think the AR and SMG are a blast to use, and the ADS mechanic is part of that reason.

I'm all for skill gap and balance, but we simply cannot expect every gamer out there to four shot heads like we can. That doesn't mean dumb the game down and I don't think the current set up does that.

People's issue is that they are playing it like Halo 2, expecting the BR to dominate in every situation. It's your own damn fault for taking a BR into a close range fight against an AR.

If everyone would play to this game's strengths in its current sandbox I'm sure you will be picking up the BR and using it the most still.

I wonder what they have cooked up for CTF. We're not seeing it during the beta are we?

They're probably trying to figure out how to make it work with all the new Spartan Abilities, since in the past that type of stuff would force you to drop the flag.

I'm thinking it'd work if the Flag Carrier Traits were:
- Prophet's Bane sort of speed boost
- No Flagnum
- Can't Sprint or use associated Spartan Abilities (Slide, Spartan Charge)
- All other Spartan Abilities (Ground Pound, Stabilizers, Clamber, Thrusters) are fair game
- Melee with flag with RT
- Drop flag with Y
- ADS with flag to throw it javelin-style. Teammates can pick it up, or it can spear enemies.
- Spearflagging has a fairly limited range, and is nerfed further due to some outlying mechanic. Possibly halving the return time upon Spearflagging so that you have to get a player prepared to pick it up or run the risk of it despawning more quickly.

It'll probably be used a lot in Breakpoint since you would want to get to cover faster. I don't know.

I use it frequently to slide while picking up weapons to maintain momentum and avoid being shot up as easily. Also entering a room with a slide and shooting has helped give me the first shot.

link1201

They're probably trying to figure out how to make it work with all the new Spartan Abilities, since in the past that type of stuff would force you to drop the flag.

I'm thinking it'd work if the Flag Carrier Traits were:
- Prophet's Bane sort of speed boost
- No Flagnum
- Can't Sprint or use associated Spartan Abilities (Slide, Spartan Charge)
- All other Spartan Abilities (Ground Pound, Stabilizers, Clamber, Thrusters) are fair game
- Melee with flag with RT
- Drop flag with Y
- ADS with flag to throw it javelin-style. Teammates can pick it up, or it can spear enemies.
- Spearflagging has a fairly limited range, and is nerfed further due to some outlying mechanic. Possibly halving the return time upon Spearflagging so that you have to get a player prepared to pick it up or run the risk of it despawning more quickly.
Will be interesting to see what we end up with.

Fuchsdh

I've never understood why the objective carrier should be *encumbered* in any way; why should you be a totally defenseless carrier and move around like your armor is filled with molasses? I'm less sure on whether you should get bonuses for being the carrier; the Flagnum was more a tradeoff since you were committed to the role.

Sephzilla

I've never understood why the objective carrier should be *encumbered* in any way; why should you be a totally defenseless carrier and move around like your armor is filled with molasses? I'm less sure on whether you should get bonuses for being the carrier; the Flagnum was more a tradeoff since you were committed to the role.

because it encourages teamwork. it makes your team have to protect and/or transport you plus it also gives the enemy team a chance to catch up to you. The one thing i really want to see die in a fire is an always-on-your-hud display of where the enemy flag carrier is.

Flag down = waypoint

Flag being carried by enemy = you need to physically find the person

This is the way it should be.

Honestly, I would be okay with the flag carrier bring able to do everything a normal player can besides shooting. Just maintain the flag indicator when the carrier drops it.

Maybe place an indicator on the flag carrier if he is sprinting as well for a risk vs reward dynamic.

dwells

I think I've hit the point where my bad teammates have become statistically significant. We're beyond the concept of random chance and into the realm of Frankie found my gamertag and is making my life miserable.

Also, in all my MCCing and H5ing, I haven't seen anyone on here in a game. Except for Funknown, who I've now played in CE and H5.

Haruko

The one thing i really want to see die in a fire is an always-on-your-hud display of where the enemy flag carrier is.

Flag down = waypoint

Flag being carried by enemy = you need to physically find the person

This is the way it should be.

yT9vjXF.gif

Lol javelining the flag is stupid.

You could throw it across the map.

But they need to bring back Halo 2 style flag tossing

That's why I suggested halving the despawn timer on every javelin toss. Unless you have a coordinated team that can successfully make all the throws, you're sharply decreasing your chances at picking up the flag before it resets.

dwells

Just went 28 and 9 and lost again. This is not inspiring any confidence in the effectiveness of the game's ranking system and skill matching. I've lost well over 60% of the games I've played.

Akai__

Halo 3 Legendary under 3 hours done.

I was only 58 seconds short and decided to run Crows Nest and beat my previous run by 11 minutes. Really not a difficult achievement, especially since it takes the best time from SP and co-op.

Halo 4 is next and I already have some pretty decent times there.

Overdoziz

Banned
Sorry, but even though I played MLG religiously... I think the AR and SMG are a blast to use, and the ADS mechanic is part of that reason.

I'm all for skill gap and balance, but we simply cannot expect every gamer out there to four shot heads like we can. That doesn't mean dumb the game down and I don't think the current set up does that.

People's issue is that they are playing it like Halo 2, expecting the BR to dominate in every situation. It's your own damn fault for taking a BR into a close range fight against an AR.

If everyone would play to this game's strengths in its current sandbox I'm sure you will be picking up the BR and using it the most still.
I love using the assau
M2NwDxp.png

mcrommert

Banned
MA5B Assault Rifle

The only thing that I think should be tweaked to the AR and SMG are removing the ADS for them. The AR should be a weapon that's viable at mid-range and be on fairly equal footing to the BR or DMR. BR and DMR should dominate at long range

I can totally agree with that...don't want br starts as they seemed to finally make the game fun without them...but ar should lose scope. Leave it on the smg.

Also crosspost josh holmes said flinch is gone after beta
https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/549624652117454848

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I use it frequently to slide while picking up weapons to maintain momentum and avoid being shot up as easily. Also entering a room with a slide and shooting has helped give me the first shot.

I do it to act cool when beating the other team to the sniper. Honestly If I could press X to release slo-mo doves at the same time, I would do it.

Haven't checked if it's been posted or not, but the Halo 5 Limited Edition is up on Best Buy for people with GCU.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/halo-5-...-one/2237037.p?id=1219534062973&skuId=2237037

Picked it up for $199 and I had around $30 in credit, so $170 isn't crazy unreasonable. I look forward to seeing what's actually in the box.

Though I hope it's not a Locke statue. He may end up being a super rad character, but I'd prefer a Chief statue/helmet/something.

Akai__

Picked it up for $199 and I had around $30 in credit, so $170 isn't crazy unreasonable. I look forward to seeing what's actually in the box.

170$ for a game is pretty unreasonable in my eyes. lol

Especially, since you don't know the content or "anything" about Halo 5, yet.

Your money, though.

dwells

Haven't checked if it's been posted or not, but the Halo 5 Limited Edition is up on Best Buy for people with GCU.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/halo-5-...-one/2237037.p?id=1219534062973&skuId=2237037

Though I hope it's not a Locke statue. He may end up being a super rad character, but I'd prefer a Chief statue/helmet/something.
You plunked down $200 for a mystery box of an unfinished game than doesn't launch for another year, after having seen what happened with Master Chief Collection?

Sorry to be blunt, but that type of thing is exactly what's fueling the problems with industry right now.

But you don't have a clue what you just paid for...

Fracas

#fuckonami

lol

Why the hell don't they ever include the soundtrack as part of the LEs?

Also, crossposting my thoughts from the H5G thread

I'm with Seph on this one. It's more subtle than Halo 4's implementation, but there's some "innovative retro-bandaiding" going on with the game design right now. With Halo 4 it was more critically toxic to the gameplay, where you'd have elements like "all players do not have Red Xs unless using the proper [Nemesis] perk" or "you're plainly obvious in Promethean Vision unless you use Wetwork," and so on and so forth. Halo 5's basically doing it with the Spartan Abilities, where map movement feels very "you've got one of the slowest movement speeds in a Halo title to date unless you're making use of Sprint or associated Spartan Abilities." It should really be something to the effect of "you've got a very high movement speed, and this can be further improved, not substituted, by Spartan Abilities."

I feel like whatever movement speed you have while wielding the Bane is nearly perfect. Just up everyone's speed to that and scrap Sprint.

HTupolev

So far, sprint actually feels more annoying to me in Halo 5 than it did in Halo 4. As much as I dislike what it does for Halo's gameplay, Halo 4 at least had a unified vision for it. By contrast, Halo 5 so strongly discourages the use of sprint within the core gunplay that it seems like the only justification for it is the large maps. It's inelegant and breaks up gameplay seemingly for the sake of being inelegant and breaking up gameplay.

They should get rid of it and either increase movespeed or make the maps smaller.

Madness

Guys, they're not removing sprint. ZZzzZz

They're never removing ADS now either.

One thing I don't like is with killcams, the dude bro pose that starts right away at end, they've basically killed off teabagging in this game. It was such an innocuous thing that really could rile someone up.

So far, sprint actually feels more annoying to me in Halo 5 than it did in Halo 4. As much as I dislike what it does for Halo's gameplay, Halo 4 at least had a unified vision for it. By contrast, Halo 5 so strongly discourages the use of sprint within the core gunplay that it seems like the only justification for it is the large maps. It's inelegant and breaks up gameplay seemingly for the sake of being inelegant and breaking up gameplay.

They should get rid of it and either increase movespeed or make the maps smaller.

Lol

HTupolev

One thing I don't like is with killcams, the dude bro pose that starts right away at end, they've basically killed off teabagging in this game. It was such an innocuous thing that really could rile someone up.
I'd love a switch to the classic death cam system, partly because that kill cam music is far more annoying than teabagging could ever hope to be.

You just made a Marketing Director jizz in their extremely expensive pants. Congratulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom