• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwells

Why aren't more people talking about the removal of friendly fire? I feel like that's gotta be one of the biggest offenses and most un-Halo things. Its a pretty blatant softening of the game and coddling of unskilled players.

Also, "watch your made spam" has to be at the top of the list of Spartan chatter that came straight out of the dudebro cliche box.

Eios

Looking for upper-tier onyx, semi-pro, pro rankers, interested in some competitive 4s for H5 beta. Obviously, you must a mlg pro 360 no scoper. j/k anyone just looking for good teammates add me. We already have two.

gt: Eiosx

Why aren't more people talking about the removal of friendly fire? I feel like that's gotta be one of the biggest offenses and most un-Halo things. Its a pretty blatant softening of the game and coddling of unskilled players.

Also, "watch your made spam" has to be at the top of the list of Spartan chatter that came straight out of the dudebro cliche box.

Eh, with how intimate and close-range the combat is in this one, in addition to all of the possible ways to hurt your teammates (such as accidentally spartan charging) I don't really mind. I think it might be work keeping it on for high-yield damage like explosive weapons, but not taking damage from teammate small arms fire will probably go a long way in preventing griefing.

H2A feels so inconsistent. Sometimes I'm amazing and other times I can't do anything right. It's really hard to see if I'm improving at all.

I don't like it.
I was hedging my bet on this just being how the beta was.

I mean what is Halo without teabagging and end-of-game-but-not-black-screen-yet teamkilling?
Nothing

Sorry Wifey...done for the night. That East Coast Time Zone.

I've only played 6 or 7 games total and all but 2 of them involved uneven teams. Sigh.

Aside from that, best Halo since 3.

One of the games I played went down to the wire. That's one out of less than 10 games. Out of the hundreds of games of Halo 4 I've played, I can count on one hand the number that went down to the wire. Maybe it's a coincidence or maybe Halo is back now that they got rid of the win-more bullshit of the Infinity Ordinance system.

Glad to hear flinch is already gone.

Increase player visibility/general visual clarity of maps. Other than when players are in the outdoor area of Empire, I have a difficult time seeing them. Non-power weapons are also very difficult to spot and differentiate from one another when they are on the ground.

Friendly fire should come back, ADS needs to go. Nerf AR. Reduce clip size on magnum and make it a 4-shot with the same TTK as the 5 shot magnum we currently have.

I'm fine with the SMG's power since it's pretty much garbo-tier at anything beyond close range, which kind of puts it on par with the Halo 3 Mauler.

Looking forward to seeing what they do with the crazy Super BTB mode or whatever it is.

Played my first few Halo 5 games today. Three, actually.

In two games on the human map I went a combined 20-30 or something I think. Rough games. I'm not a fan of that map at all.

I went 18-7 on the Covenant map. Much more comfortable and was able to do well with the BR there. All three games were in the same lobby of people so it wasn't varying quality of competition.

The game itself is fun, sure, but just seems a bit odd to me. I didn't get to use the new abilities at all but I am not a fan of the nerfed melee right now. That has been such a huge part of the Halo series for so long and now there is no lunge + seemingly barely does any damage. Pretty big bummer.

I'm obviously going to pick it up at launch and probably enjoy it, but my hype is a bit deflated after these initial three games. Hopefully I can play it more in the next few weeks - it might help bring the hype up a bit.

So, I'm hoping this isn't grounds for banning via self-promotion, but for those interested I just standardized some of the Reclaimer Radio stuff. We can't offer a traditional RSS Feed sort of download yet because of technical reasons involving iTunes. Long story short, we're doing this thing on a budget of a crisp zero US dollars, so we don't have a whole lot of options. In the meantime, though, the Reclaimer Radio page over at Gravity Gauntlet and all of the Soundcloud pages now have the podcasts up for DL. Just hit the DL button on either the embedded soundcloud bar or on the individual Soundcloud pages to get it offline at 320kbps mp3.

King Leo

Neo Member
When I have a BR, I've made it a habit to thruster backwards when AR players are charging me. Kinda throws them off and gives me some distance. If it's AR vs AR I thruster sideways.

I also just watched a guy get ground pounded for the first time. Hilarious.

First couple matches of the day motion tracker turns what could have been fun games into a chore.

Breakout's next week right? At least that doesn't have it..

EDIT:
Hasn't Team Slayer always had motion tracker? It's the pro variants that don't, right?
Yeah, but default should be without or at least changed to be sound-based.

Side Note: Sorry to whoever COLD DOG is, I basically stopped playing that second match. I shouldn't have played after my lack of motivation from that first game of being down a player lol

lol playing multi CTF on Shrine, and the game just randomly ends not even halfway through. At least we were up 1-0.

Oh MCC, why are you so broken.

Skullface

lol playing multi CTF on Shrine, and the game just randomly ends not even halfway through. At least we were up 1-0.

Oh MCC, why are you so broken.

Dude, I just played a 6v2 round of SWAT. H2A Lockout.

GNEAs8u

Fuck yeah! I was part of the army of two, and I can't say how exhilarating it was. Especially to have won by a single point so close to the point and time limit. Fuck, it may be broken, but I don't think I'd have achieved such a thrill with a competent game.

RowdyReverb

Does anybody still feel that ground pound is OP now that we're all playing the beta? I personally have yet to kill or be killed by it, or even see it used for that matter.

Dude, I just played a 6v2 round of SWAT. H2A Lockout.

Fuck yeah! I was part of the army of two, and I can't say how exhilarating it was. Especially to have won by a single point so close to the point and time limit. Fuck, it may be broken, but I don't think I'd have achieved such a thrill with a competent game.
Smaller teams definitely have an advantage in SWAT. Fewer heads for the other team to pop. It's nice to play in MCC because uneven teams are less of a bother.

Ramirez

Does anybody still feel that ground pound is OP now that we're all playing the beta? I personally have yet to kill or be killed by it, or even see it used for that matter.

I played a guy who used nothing but GP/charge. He was actually getting a lot of kills, but he died like 20+ times both games, lol.

I think they're fine though. GP is actually a lot more useful than I thought it would be, very situational however.

I played a guy who used nothing but GP/charge. He was actually getting a lot of kills, but he died like 20+ times both games, lol.

I think they're fine though. GP is actually a lot more useful than I thought it would be, very situational however.

pretty sure you got matched up against ian

Adding on.

Sword outmaneuver
http://xboxclips.com/finalknight92/677fa0da-b7cf-41b9-8946-fd38bd1e20e9

End clutch, they have a medal for that.
http://xboxclips.com/finalknight92/78ec74d2-b579-4655-8649-5bf173d1bc93

Also, on the subject of Swords.
Need to bring back Bulltrues. I got a bullshit kill with a Sword earlier. Got killed mid-lunge but still got the kill and a Revenge.

Skullface

Smaller teams definitely have an advantage in SWAT. Fewer heads for the other team to pop. It's nice to play in MCC because uneven teams are less of a bother.

I typically agree, but if at least 3 of those 6 were a smidge more skilled, we would have been rocked. We were down by 15 at one point.

Just realized the more I see Ground Pound in action that there's a skill gap to it more than I had thought there was very little at all to begin with. Now I know others who've actually played it saying it's hard to use. Which makes sense. But assuming there will be others who can eventually pull it off with each try depending on timing, distance, and aiming.

But does this also apply to how close an enemy is around your diameter to execute a ground pound for an instant kill or significant area effect damage that your timing and aiming are dramatically increased (TTK) rather than an enemy from a longer distance and altitude that your TTK is decreased in comparison? Another skillgap to add is using stabilizers (and/or Charge/TP/Slide) before executing a GP in cqc.

RowdyReverb

I really like Halo 5.

But not with a bad team.

I think I like Titanfall MUCH better for solo pubbing.
I'm hoping that skill-based matchmaking will improve as players settle into their skill categories. Right now there are still so many bad players who haven't played even 5 games so the matchmaker doesn't even know where to put them, so it puts them invariably on your team.

Just finally played. Here are my initial thoughts:

Pro's:
The game moves well meaning its silky smooth
The gameplay is there meaning a tweak here or there is all you need

Con's:
Get that ADS out of there. It's distracting and it's total ADS. I don't care what they say, there is without a doubt an advantage to being scoped in. at minimum, give us a classic zoom.
It's a little "heavy" - for a game built on movement it feels slow unless you are sprinting. Bump the base player movement up
The jump is to low, it's not Reach low but it should be at least Halo 4 high if that makes sense.

After a few more games, Fuck that sword buff. You already have sprint and thrusters. You dont need the guy to have infection type speed. Strafe is slow which is nothing new. I hope they bump it. I also cannot tell the non weapons by sight, these maps are to hazy. What is their obsession with haze? Obviously the AR needs a nerf, its almost SAW like power. From mid range a BR should be able to take an AR player out but the AR has too much range.

The BR does not feel like the BR anymore, its not familiar. The scope on the BR and DMR is too slow when switching. JUST REMOVE THIS ADS, nobody likes it.

I don't know why I was thinking of this while in the bathroom, but I recalled something someone mentioned a while ago (I'm pretty sure it was Wahrer in his write-up). It had to do with Halo 5 having some of the best highs, but also some of the worst lows, and I agree. To me, the gameplay feels great, but with how I feel about motion tracker combined with the impossibility of communicating with randoms and the inability to carry a team that wants to keep rushing red dots makes this one of the most frustrating experiences I've had with Halo.

I'm really looking forward to Breakout not only for the lack of motion tracker, but for the limited lives. It looks really fun.

Alright, honeymoon phase is over.

I keep getting matched up with semi-pros and pros; I've been losing all day.

I can't get a single kill in AR 1v1 battles and everybody else seems just fine.

Assists galore.

Search times are still super long.

Truth sucks.

/end

RSB

Banned
The BR does not feel like the BR anymore, its not familiar. The scope on the BR and DMR is too slow when switching. JUST REMOVE THIS ADS, nobody likes it.
I'd love them to remove ADS, but I don't think that's very likely, unfortunately. They want the modern shooter crowd to feel comfortable with the game, and they don't want stupid reviewers critizicing the game for being too "archaic" for not having ADS. Pretty much the same reason why LT to zoom is now the default control scheme.

At most, they'll make ADS completely cosmetic (no added delay when using it, no reduced spread, etc) and add the option to use the classic scope/zoom. Or at least that's what I hope, because I really can't stand ADS.

Chitown B

I don't know why I was thinking of this while in the bathroom, but I recalled something someone mentioned a while ago (I'm pretty sure it was Wahrer in his write-up). It had to do with Halo 5 having some of the best highs, but also some of the worst lows, and I agree. To me, the gameplay feels great, but with how I feel about motion tracker combined with the impossibility of communicating with randoms and the inability to carry a team that wants to keep rushing red dots makes this one of the most frustrating experiences I've had with Halo.

I'm really looking forward to Breakout not only for the lack of motion tracker, but for the limited lives. It looks really fun.

I'll never understand peoples' issue with the motion tracker. It's there as an advantage. You don't have to go to the dots but it gives you a general plan of attack and view of the play field where you can't see. I rely on it.

I'll never understand peoples' issue with the motion tracker. It's there as an advantage. You don't have to go to the dots but it gives you a general plan of attack and view of the play field where you can't see. I rely on it.
"I'll never understand it" as in you've never read arguments against it or as in "I don't agree with what they're saying?"

Sure you don't have to go to the dots, but stalemates are not fun. Why limit player movement when there's so much fun to be had by moving freely around the map?

Ramirez

It's too easy to abuse the better people get.

I think below Onyx, there's a different type of Halo being played, so the sides will never see eye to eye. Mainly because they're not running into the same problems.

Fracas

#fuckonami
If radar were to be removed, the game would need some big audio improvements to make up for it. Even with headphones on it's mixed pretty poorly. Especially grenades.

R0ckman

Both maps need a heavy weapon to break up camping, IMO. This is mostly because of radar, but ya know.

It's amazing how much Halo has changed the past 3 games, but the radar is still the same ole shit. Destiny has a good radar if you must stick with motion, but I'd reduce the range on it greatly. I prefer a CoD/BF radar tied to gunfire personally, I know they're not removing it entirely. Too many people think crouch walking is some kinda integral part to the gameplay, lol.

I think Destiny's radar is god awful, it isn't completely accurate (when it comes to determining if someone is in close proximity or outside of it - in the pie). I'd rather have no radar at all than Destiny's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom