• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultimota

loving the beta it a lot of fun but damn am i sick of being put in international servers,
played maybe 5 games on aussie servers the other 70 odd have been international

King Leo

Neo Member
It really sucks that Reach & Halo 4's mechanics were implemented so poorly. Now when players see these same mechanics in Halo 5, they are quick to judge it and trash it - even if they are implemented fairly well this time around and actually add to the gameplay. The community is in complete disarray.

Not sure if anybody follows the Arma 3 mod community here, but there is one mod called The Eridanus Insurrection that is pretty far into development.

They have an interesting take on the AR where the top piece is just an attachment.

brjDk8W.jpg

Not sure if anybody follows the Arma 3 mod community here, but there is one mod called The Eridanus Insurrection that is pretty far into development.

They have an interesting take on the AR where the ammo counter is just an attachment.

brjDk8W.jpg

Huh, that is pretty neat. It's funny, the AR design is actually pretty ridiculous from a firearm standpoint, so it's sort of funny to see it shoehorned into Halo's slow drive towards relative realism.

Copying

I've been going back to ntkrnl posts to compare.

Beta was to run throughout December.
-Close, started at the tail end of December.

6-8 maps.
-There are 7 right?

Two arena maps and two forge maps.
-Not sure of this one yet.

Maps are going to be huge.
-Not the case so far, I guess there might be some big surprise yet to come. And with big maps surely it'll be more than 4v4.

Welfare

Copying

I've been going back to ntkrnl posts to compare.

Beta was to run throughout December.
-Close, started at the tail end of December.

6-8 maps.
-There are 7 right?

Two arena maps and two forge maps.
-Not sure of this one yet.

Maps are going to be huge.
-Not the case so far, I guess there might be some big surprise yet to come. And with big maps surely it'll be more than 4v4.
7 maps, we got Truth and Empire, we are going to have Trench and another forge map, and the maps are on the large size.

He was right.

It's too easy to abuse the better people get.

I think below Onyx, there's a different type of Halo being played, so the sides will never see eye to eye. Mainly because they're not running into the same problems.

I made basically this same comment playing with Biggy and Eugn earlier tonight.

What I said was basically along the lines of:

"I don't know why they keep making the radar more and more detailed. No one who isn't good ever looks at it anyway."

Mix

I got this email earlier today then asked about it when I got to work, so apparently January 3rd is Halo Day at Gamestop. Go get free shit.

as I said in the podcast I already preordered my Limited Collectors Edition, I was the second one at the store behind my manager.

Ramirez

I made basically this same comment playing with Biggy and Eugn earlier tonight.

What I said was basically along the lines of:

"I don't know why they keep making the radar more and more detailed. No one who isn't good ever looks at it anyway."

Yea, it's pretty obvious most bad players do not utilize it to their advantage, where as good players don't take their eyes off of it when entering an area, lol.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
These ranks are the most frustrating part of the game.

1 win away from Gold and a guy on my team goes 7 - 22....

-18 points.

edit: win, +12. of course.

Don't the two Xbox'es fuck with eachother when they're both online?

Thought I read that somewhere. Sorry if it's already been mentioned/adressed.

Been stuck on 21 for hours now. Either the teams are uneven or I get all the level ones that don't know up from down.

lol my last game:

21 (me)

vs

You did a hard reboot?

I did! Happens on both boxes. Rebooted everything I could. Hard reboots. Hard. Cut the power for 30 seconds, even. Reinstalling the beta now, wish me luck...

In other news, I verified my NAT is open and tried a game of MCC as a sanity check... 4v5. Good work, 343. GOOD WORK. Lockout BRs though, so it was still fun.

jem0208

These ranks are the most frustrating part of the game.

1 win away from Gold and a guy on my team goes 7 - 22....

-18 points.

edit: win, +12. of course.
Yup, the ranking system sucks at the moment imo. I like the whole tiered design but making winning and losing the only factor just doesn't work very well.

Lots of people are saying it should be based upon wins because it's a team playlist and that it promotes teamwork. However whether or not the team wins is a reflection of the team's overall skill and the ability to communicate and play well between every player. Why is our rank (a representation of our own personal skill) entirely reliant on your team's skill?

There's only so much a single player can do to help his team win. You could have the perfect team player who controls the map, feeds assists and communicates clearly. He gets 20 kills, 10 assists and 2 deaths yet because he's stuck with bad teammates he loses and is punished. How does that system make sense in any way?

Josh said somewhere that if you play enough you should average out against the randomness of the matchmaking. This brute force approach of 'play as much as you can to get around the broken ranking' is awful. If the system was designed so that it actually was a representation of our personal skill rather than how lucky we are with matchmaking this wouldn't be an issue.

This is the biggest issue with the game imo. It needs sorting out.

Crucio

So is anyone else having problems getting good at Halo 5? It just feels unatural to me.

Maybe I need to get Titanfall out of my head or maybe I need to change my control setup.
I don't know what it is. Its like someone put a stopper under one of my wheels.

ultimota

yepyepyep i reaaaaaalllllly hope the full game has server region select at launch,

I just had 12 games in a row on what felt like Australian severs honestly the most fun i've had playing halo in a long time <3

tootsi666

Worst thing about ranking system is that if someone leaves at the start of the match, match still affects rankings normally. It's good (albeit frustrating) otherwise.

Empire is really the coolest thing ever with all the opportunities for clambering and ground pounding and then there are the matches on Truth which are often very meh. It feels like Truth does not fit into the Halo 5 sandbox very well. But then, I never liked Midship or Heretic so I am super biased.

Akai__

Wow...

Thats too long. Needs to be four.

Pretty sure it was 3 or 4 shot kill in the early days. In one "The Sprint" episode, where they play Breakout on Crossfire, you can see that it has way more damage. The range also seemed like it was higher/better.

I'll never understand peoples' issue with the motion tracker. It's there as an advantage. You don't have to go to the dots but it gives you a general plan of attack and view of the play field where you can't see. I rely on it.

The radar slows game play down. It allows camping to happen more often, and you can't sneak in behind teams at normal speed.

Yup, the ranking system sucks at the moment imo. I like the whole tiered design but making winning and losing the only factor just doesn't work very well.

Lots of people are saying it should be based upon wins because it's a team playlist and that it promotes teamwork. However whether or not the team wins is a reflection of the team's overall skill and the ability to communicate and play well between every player. Why is our rank (a representation of our own personal skill) entirely reliant on your team's skill?

There's only so much a single player can do to help his team win. You could have the perfect team player who controls the map, feeds assists and communicates clearly. He gets 20 kills, 10 assists and 2 deaths yet because he's stuck with bad teammates he loses and is punished. How does that system make sense in any way?

Josh said somewhere that if you play enough you should average out against the randomness of the matchmaking. This brute force approach of 'play as much as you can to get around the broken ranking' is awful. If the system was designed so that it actually was a representation of our personal skill rather than how lucky we are with matchmaking this wouldn't be an issue.

This is the biggest issue with the game imo. It needs sorting out.

If the players are as bad as you say they are, they will eventually fall down the ladder. Players that get a lot of kills and are great teammates have a higher chance of winning than those that suck and they will eventually be grouped with similarly skilled players. I don't really see a problem with the team win/loss ranking system.

You should give it a little more time for the system to accurately place players.

Welfare

Pretty sure it was 3 or 4 shot kill in the early days. In one "The Sprint" episode, where they play Breakout on Crossfire, you can see that it has way more damage. The range also seemed like it was higher/better.

Breakout has increased damage.

jem0208

Remember, you have less health on Breakout.

jem0208

If the players are as bad as you say they are, they will eventually fall down the ladder. Players that get a lot of kills and are great teammates have a higher chance of winning than those that suck and they will eventually be grouped with similarly skilled players. I don't really see a problem with the team win/loss ranking system.

You should give it a little more time for the system to accurately place players.

So I'm in Gold 3. Just had a match where 2 of my team quits at the start. We're playing against 2 Gold tiers and 2 Onyx tiers. Obviously we lose, they had about 3 snipers at one point. I lose 10 points and go down to Gold 2.

It's really not very good.

Also I kept getting sniped through the walls. Damn lag :l

So I'm in Gold 3. Just had a match where 2 of my team quits at the start. We're playing against 2 Gold tiers and 2 Onyx tiers. Obviously we lose, they had about 3 snipers at one point. I lose 10 points and go down to Gold 2.

It's really not very good.
l

If things like that are happening to you, it has to be happening to others less skilled than you and more skilled than you. Those less skilled will have a much harder time carrying their team to victory. They are probably dragging a lot of higher skilled players down, and they will keep losing. Over time, they will be below your rank because they are that bad and you will no longer be able to team up with them.

This bad fortune won't keep landing on your door step. It's not like the system is purposely putting you with shit players to destroy you. So again, I don't see how team win/loss is bad for a ranking system.

What sucked was Halo 3's ranking system. Over time it almost became impossible to rise up, and this is what gave rise to players making new gamertags. I had to win like 13-15 games in a row to get from 49 to level 50 in team slayer. I preferred Halo 2's that made it much easier to fall down and rise up.

Omni

I honestly feel like aim assist could be [buffed?] a little

I like that it's not Halo 2 levels but I think it's a bit too low. Maybe I just need to adjust

I wonder when Frankie/343 is going to officially announce the new Troy Denning Halo book.

Based on his history I assume it will be a human/UNSC centered book rather than alien/Covenant like the last one.

TTUVAPOR

Banned

It has 12 bullets right?

So if you're shooting someone perfectly, no misses, at most you will get two kills on full shield enemies. The chances of that are going to be super rare because you'd have to have perfect precise aim and miss no shots. To me, the avg person is going to draing half or more of their clip for one kill with the magnum...I think that's a bit much.

If it were a four shot kill, you're looking at eight bullets to kill two full shield enemies with four shots that you could miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom