• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In hindsight, with 343's "they're not perks / monsters / robots" philosophy with Halo 4 it's pretty hilarious the CoD control scheme actually got called "fishstick."

I honestly feel like aim assist could be [buffed?] a little

I like that it's not Halo 2 levels but I think it's a bit too low. Maybe I just need to adjust

The only one I feel is substantially lower than any prior iteration is the Battle Rifle, but that being said it's far from being a bad thing.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
The only one I feel is substantially lower than any prior iteration is the Battle Rifle, but that being said it's far from being a bad thing.

Since the aim assist (I call this sticky aim) is much lower than previous Halos, the time to kill should be very fast.

I kinda wish the rifles got a faster time to kill, by perhaps increasing the fire rate. I've always wanted to be able to fire the BR or DMR as fast as I can pull the trigger.

dwells

Any news about Master Chief Collection? I'd love to see that game actually work. I think the fact that after nearly two months the game that was supposed to be getting the anniversary treatment (H2 Classic) is still unplayable is bothering me the most.

MLG Warship plz.

Maybe a Locke origin story?

Nightfall bruh

I know what you mean

Oh, and I finally ended up catching Nightfall the night before the Arena Beta. As per usual, GAF had me thinking it was going to be way worse than it really was. CGI for the mutant Lekgolo was fine save for a few bits where they were visible in broad daylight, and I thought Mike Colter played his part well. I can see where people are getting the impression his acting is "dry" or whatever, but I think it works in this situation. He's an Officer, and he's probably got one of the strongest senses of military bearing we've seen in the Halo universe, especially compared to some of the more rough-and-tumble, reckless sort of character's we've seen before like Johnson and Palmer. The dude's clearly been earning his promotions the old fashioned way with hard work and resolve, rather than luck or circumstance shoehorning him into bigger and better things. Not to mention he's an agent - a public figurehead, a Spartan no less - for ONI, meaning he has to keep his mouth shut on intelligence that would probably drive other members of the UNSC mad.

Even if a lot of people didn't like it, I think Nightfall did a good job of showcasing he's an extremely grounded, "only human" sort of character in the Haloverse, but in the best possible way. Most points of view we get in the Halo universe are either supersoldiers or civilians - albeit nonhuman ones - and there haven't been too many major characters that have been making the ranks by the sweat of their brow. Even the ODST crew received some minor biomechanical / biochemical augmentations as part of their initiation. He had moments of vulnerability in Nightfall, too, and I honestly think I can relate to him the most out of any main (or at least playable) Halo character so far. He's just a dude doing his job trying not to step on any toes, and while that's a pretty vanilla characterization in something as crazy as the Halo universe, I think it ultimately paints him in an exception-to-prove-the-rule light where most characters are off doing badass supersoldier things while he's been going through his hoops and over his hurdles as an ordinary human being. I mean sure, he's received some augmentation as of becoming a Spartan (do we know if he's a Spartan-IV, specifically?) but I'm actually really looking forward to seeing his role in Guardians.

He even has a Jorge, gentle-giant sort of moment in Nightfall where he comforts a Colonial Marine by using some of his ONI-related privileges to give a corpsman some background on her CO, pointing out he wasn't always a bad guy.

To the people who say his acting's too flat for the role, he does have some pretty expressive moments in Nightfall. It's just as an Officer, he usually has to keep himself to a higher standard than most others unless someone really fucks up - and in Nightfall, some people do. I'd say it's worth a watch if you're remotely interested in Locke.

Akai__

GSLOdNP.png

LOL

Caja 117

Played since day one and don't have them.
I think he meant pre retail release, beta tester maybe?

Also from gaming side:

I had no idea that the automatic weapons also received headshot bonuses this time around. It would explain why I sometimes get dropped instantly after a no-shield, while others can take a few more hits.

That probably needs to go. Headshot bonuses on a 'spray' weapon is a RNG nightmare.

While I am definitely enjoying the game, it is hard when you're a lone wolf. Even more so when the game decides to match you up versus full teams, which is just all kinds of dumb.

Also, the smart scope on the pistol is like my nemesis. It feels as if I am a drunkard and my sensitivy moved from 3 to 10.

Is this accurate? Frankie?

dwells

How's everyone's matchmaking working in the beta? It fails about three out of four times for me. If I get into a partially filled lobby there's about no chance of it going anywhere. I either get an instant match and it works, or nothing. Doesn't help that you can't back out of searching, either.

RowdyReverb

Wow...

Thats too long. Needs to be four.
But the pistol shoots damn fast. It would dominate at close and possibly mid range at 4sk.
How's everyone's matchmaking working in the beta? It fails about three out of four times for me. If I get into a partially filled lobby there's about no chance of it going anywhere. I either get an instant match and it works, or nothing. Doesn't help that you can't back out of searching, either.
Start a party with just yourself, then scroll down to "leave multiplayer" to quit matchmaking. I've had bad luck finding players if I'm still with a few people from the previous match.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
But the pistol shoots damn fast. It would dominate at close and possibly mid range at 4sk.

What would be wrong with that?

The pistol should punish from close to mid, as a precision weapon. The BR should punish from mid to long.

I think it would fit in very nicely. AR punishs at close but starts to deal less at mid.

I'd love to see the pistol be a 4-shot. Be nice to test.

I'd love them to remove ADS, but I don't think that's very likely, unfortunately. They want the modern shooter crowd to feel comfortable with the game, and they don't want stupid reviewers critizicing the game for being too "archaic" for not having ADS. Pretty much the same reason why LT to zoom is now the default control scheme.

At most, they'll make ADS completely cosmetic (no added delay when using it, no reduced spread, etc) and add the option to use the classic scope/zoom. Or at least that's what I hope, because I really can't stand ADS.

Again, have the option instead of lying that its only cosmetic. That's my issue with 343, they lie. There will be no Flinch and then there is.

So is anyone else having problems getting good at Halo 5? It just feels unatural to me.

Maybe I need to get Titanfall out of my head or maybe I need to change my control setup.
I don't know what it is. Its like someone put a stopper under one of my wheels.

There are a lot of elements to this game that contribute to this. Double jump would have been better then ledge climbing. I hate Empire, its like a mini Complex but those nades make it a pin ball machine. Thats the problem, now you have to build maps for these new features. It's built to be a vertical map for the climbing.

Any news about Master Chief Collection? I'd love to see that game actually work. I think the fact that after nearly two months the game that was supposed to be getting the anniversary treatment (H2 Classic) is still unplayable is bothering me the most.

MLG Warship plz.

They are trying to move on. They are in full pimp H5 mode now so people forget. MCC is never going to work they way they said. At some point they need to cut their losses.

Sephzilla

They are trying to move on. They are in full pimp H5 mode now so people forget. MCC is never going to work they way they said. At some point they need to cut their losses.

If they abandon MCC they sure as shit aren't getting Halo 5 money from me nor will they likely get any money from me again period and I'd go out of my way to remind everyone constantly how much they screwed up MCC.

RowdyReverb

I don't think so. I think from the start MCC was released to generate hype for Halo 5. I think that they'll keep working on it, or outsource work on it, and incentivize people to buy it or play it as we near Halo 5's launch. ODST and Relic are examples of such incentives. The frequency of patches has understandably dropped since the H5 beta, but that doesn't mean that the previous patch is the last one we'll get.

Mdot

It's still separate teams working on each game. I would expect the consistent updates we've been getting for MCC to continue. I think Frankie confirmed this.

Sephzilla

I don't think so. I think from the start MCC was released to generate hype for Halo 5. I think that they'll keep working on it, or outsource work on it, and incentivize people to buy it or play it as we near Halo 5's launch. ODST and Relic are examples of such incentives. The frequency of patches has understandably dropped since the H5 beta, but that doesn't mean that the previous patch is the last one we'll get.

There was a MCC patch last week and the patches since launch have been pretty much weekly. I don't think the frequency of patches has dropped off really. The only reason I think we wont get a patch this week is because I'd hope 343 took a few days off for Christmas plus there's another holiday this week as well.

It's still separate teams working on each game. I would expect the consistent updates we've been getting for MCC to continue. I think Frankie confirmed this.

I guess I should clarify and say that my above comment is more of an "if they abandon it" kind of scenario. I don't think they actually will abandon fixing MCC

Crucio

First night of Halo 5 Beta I couldnt play one match. Didnt work for a lot of people.
Hopped on to Halo 2 :A MP and found a match immediately.
I feel like the main reason matching in MCC is bad in general is because of low population. I hope I'm wrong.

DeadNames

Banned
Empire is really the coolest thing ever with all the opportunities for clambering and ground pounding and then there are the matches on Truth which are often very meh. It feels like Truth does not fit into the Halo 5 sandbox very well. But then, I never liked Midship or Heretic so I am super biased.

I dunno if it's just my hatred for the AR, but I like truth a lot more than empire.

RowdyReverb

There was a MCC patch last week and the patches since launch have been pretty much weekly. I don't think the frequency of patches has dropped off really. The only reason I think we wont get a patch this week is because I'd hope 343 took a few days off for Christmas plus there's another holiday this week as well.
That's a good point. Im hopeful though that by the time the H5 beta ends we'll be able to play a very functional MCC.

*38th rant in the last 48 hours about the ranking system*

STOP GOING INTO MM BY YOURSELF, IT IS THE ONLY WAY. PLEASE.

You should give it a little more time for the system to accurately place players.

Also, this is a beta, I'm not sure why people are so concerned about their rank when it won't exist in 3 weeks. Seems to me like most people's issue isn't with the ranking system per se but more with trueskill matching, which, like the quoted post says, will get better the more games are played. It's still the first few days, people need to chill on expecting the system to know everyone's skill placement already. Also, the final game will Undoubtedly have ranked playlists where more of the BK's will congregate so that will help ease the problem more.

IHaveIce

Banned
Halo 5 thoughts so far after playing the beta and pre-beta so far:

-AR starts could be the reason, but the heavy reliance on automatic weapons ruins the game.
- AR's seem to have a too wide range or deal too much damage over distance
- the flinch like effect punishes you way too much as a BR user.
- the controls are too cluttered, I get way too often in Ground Pound mode accidentally
- Slide and Charge also have to be explained better in the final game, way too many people I know don't even are aware how to do it.
-Shields don't recharge during sprint, which is fine, but then make the shield recharge rate out of combat faster
- pistol needs a serious buff
Truth is a bad map in Halo 5. There I said it, you are too fast around the map, especially with AR starts you can easily trap a team and start dominating. May wait for BR starts to make my final judgement.

So far I think automatics are too strong and precision weapons too weak.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
For the tournament playlist (I'm assuming they will probably have one), the only thing I'd like to see is motion tracker turned off. The starting weapon set and weapons on map should be universally the same throughout all the game modes, maps, etc.

Example, if I'm playing team slayer in tournament playlist, it should be exactly the same as normal team slayer.

Having different settings for the tournament/pro/competitive playlists has plagued Halo for so many years. It outright prevents new players from grasping the tournament side of Halo.

Starcraft II, Street Fighter 4, Counter-strike, etc, all use the same exact settings/weapons/etc for their games whether it's a tournament or not.

No confusion.

Of course for a tournament playlist, it would most likely have a mixture of modes, e.g., CTF, Slayer, Ball, KOTH, etc.

Yup, the ranking system sucks at the moment imo. I like the whole tiered design but making winning and losing the only factor just doesn't work very well.

I like the whole tiered design but making winning and losing the only factor just doesn't work very well.

making winning and losing the only factor just doesn't work very well.

making winning and losing the only factor

winning and losing

You know there is a ranking system based on having the most fun and not competition, right? It's called your Spartan Rank.

Ampoc

Neo Member
The CSR system is great. Gives me and my pals a lot more incentive to win, because we care so much about our rank. Even if you do amazing but you lose because of your team, well, shit just goes down hill sometimes.

Mdot

The CSR system is great. Gives me and my pals a lot more incentive to win, because we care so much about our rank. Even if you do amazing but you lose because of your team, well, shit just goes down hill sometimes.

I'm assuming the CSR may work differently for each playlist as well. Winning could be the huge factor in Team Slayer but may be weighted differently in other game types. Just a guess though.

link1201

I'm really enjoying the games I play. If that's due to CSR then don't change a thing. I'm sure it helps I'm in the middle of the bell curve, but boy am I having fun even when I lose.

Defect

SR is hardly a ranking system, more a measure of how long you've been playing for.

I just think that the CSR should be a representation of your skill, not your team's.
I'm sure there will be a ranked FFA playlist.

Ranking system is great, it just needs work on the initial placement.

CSR is just like Arena playlist in Reach. It doesn't require you to be good as an individual. You can be top tier Onyx 1% and yet your kill/death ratio is a negative, b'cuz your team had to carry your ass throughout every game. This also applies to H5 Beta's ranking ATM. Try to join a random team and chances are you're more than likely to get destroyed and/or your tier ranking is dropped by a good amount. And it isn't easy trying to rank back up unless you continue to keep winning, but you won't get there alone this way. The ranking system sorta does require you to party up with a good team so that your chances of winning is increased rather if you'd try to search solo for a random team you could also be partied with a tier rank lower than your Oynx like a Gold at 1 or 15% which is pretty high, but than you'd be facing an opposing team all being top tier Onyx 1%. You're basically screwed then b'cuz 1) the matchmaking can screw you over 2) you're sort of forced to party with a good team before playing if you want to succeed and rank up higher making solo searching pointless and making true skill based ranking system pointless.

jem0208

I'm sure there will be a ranked FFA playlist.

Ranking system is great, it just needs work on the initial placement.

Eh, never liked FFA.

I'm starting to warm to the system a bit more now. I'm definitely far more concerned about winning than I normally would be which makes actually winning a close game that much better. However it also makes losing extremely annoying, especially when you do really well.

I still think it needs some tweaks though. It's really annoying when you lose by 1 point and get -20 ranking points.

Onyx 3.1 here. Anybody wanna play?
I would but my brother wants to play.

jem0208

stop crying about bad teammates and stop solo queuing

Rank in team gametypes should be decided by wins. Don't play ranked team games solo if you want to win. It's that easy.
See, this attitude is bullshit. The system should work regardless of whether you're on your own or with a party of good people. Half the time when I normally play there won't be anyone around to play with.

Also the people I normally play with don't have X1s so I'm kinda screwed there. I'm sure there are loads of people who don't have anyone to queue with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom