• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalientOne

Internet Batman
People without a rank yet should only be placed in games with other people who haven't received a rank.

The system hones in on a player's skill before their CSR rating is exposed. There is a hidden skill value that isn't revealed until the 10 games are complete. Which is to say, you may be playing with/against players of like skill even though they are still in their qualifying period.

The other thing to keep in mind is that MMing takes time to find like matches within the available population (people actively searching, not playing a match). After some time the match parameters expand and you may be placed in a game with people that are outside (above/below) your skill band.

This timing is a delicate balance because we have a limited population in beta and we have to balance MMing time with quality of match. If we take too long to match for skill, people start dropping out which extends the search time and eventually you get a timeout error. If we expand too quickly, you get more lopsided matches, which in a heavily skill-based game like H5 can lead to a frustrating/unsatisfying experience.

The good news is that even within the limited beta population we are seeing a majority of close games with both teams being competitive. This will only get better as our MMing algorithm improves and population increases at launch.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
The system hones in on a player's skill before their CSR rating is exposed. There is a hidden skill value that isn't revealed until the 10 games are complete. Which is to say, you may be playing with/against players of like skill even though they are still in their qualifying period.

The other thing to keep in mind is that MMing takes time to find like matches within the available population (people actively searching, not playing a match). After some time the match parameters expand and you may be placed in a game with people that are outside (above/below) your skill band.

This timing is a delicate balance because we have a limited population in beta and we have to balance MMing time with quality of match. If we take too long to match for skill, people start dropping out which extends the search time and eventually you get a timeout error. If we expand too quickly, you get more lopsided matches, which in a heavily skill-based game like H5 can lead to a frustrating/unsatisfying experience.

The good news is that even within the limited beta population we are seeing a majority of close games with both teams being competitive. This will only get better as our MMing algorithm improves and population increases at launch.

Thanks for stopping in a providing some input on the MM'ing front.

Not to seem rude,but who are you, haven't seen you post in HaloGAF before

I believe he is Josh Holmes

Not to seem rude,but who are you, haven't seen you post in HaloGAF before

Ramirez

Double jump? Ehhhhh

I've sunk a lot of time into Destiny PVP, and I think most of you would lose your shit fighting against a double jump in a game like Halo.

Granadier

Also, they could remove motion tracker so that if I search alone, I could make a difference as an individual player.

I made a new avatar for you.

4iBCxWL.png

Clamber has all but killed any semblance of jumping, crouch jumping, trick jumps, or "platforming". Don't think I've made a single jump I didn't also Clamber after.

Then you aren't being creative enough. I already know several trick jumps and techniques besides vanilla jump and clamber.

you all suck at this game

I personally want to sprint while crouched...

One day, Ian. One day.

How do you shoot while climbing, that makes no sense? And you want to be able to clamber something when you're not facing it? wat

Clamber as a gameplay concept doesn't inherently require your Spartan to be using their arms. How do you shoot while climbing ladders, or activate a button while you're not facing it?

It'd be easier from a technical / development perspective if they replaced the current clamber animation with a more generic arc performed by the retro-rockets so they could be used as a "saving grace" sort of move while still keeping the usual Clamber functionality.

m23

Clamber has all but killed any semblance of jumping, crouch jumping, trick jumps, or "platforming". Don't think I've made a single jump I didn't also Clamber after.

I've found some cool jumps already. One example is from tower to inside blue spawn on empire. You could probably do the same on red side.

RSB

Banned
Double jump? Ehhhhh

I've sunk a lot of time into Destiny PVP, and I think most of you would lose your shit fighting against a double jump in a game like Halo.
I think it would work better in Halo, actually. The accuracy penalties in Destiny (when airborne, or when not using ADS) are ridiculous. At least in Halo you can still be accurate while jumping.

Anyway, I'm only proposing double jump because I know the maps are being designed with Clamber in mind, and just removing it would need a complete redesign of the maps. I guess increasing the jump height could work too, IDK. Whatever, as long as they bring back crouch jump, I'm ok. Clamber is just not rewarding at all.

Akai__

Any word on concrete patches for MCC or is it now just a "we'll continue to make improvements" kind of situation?

I'm wondering the same. I had to restart the MCC like 10 times today. It's ridiculous...

I doubt we'll see anything other than the latter. They haven't given any reason to believe otherwise, at least.

343i has a pretty bad PR team. Not even tweeting about the Halo 5 Beta being live or tweeting patch notes after an hour.

Ramirez

Clamber as a gameplay concept doesn't inherently require your Spartan to be using their arms. How do you shoot while climbing ladders, or activate a button while you're not facing it?

It'd be easier from a technical / development perspective if they replaced the current clamber animation with a more generic arc performed by the retro-rockets so they could be used as a "saving grace" sort of move while still keeping the usual Clamber functionality.

Ladders, buttons? w0t

Caja 117

Is it better to post my impression of the beta here or on gaming thread?

To sumarize, me and my friends (who to a certain poing starting calling me a 343 shill for defending them soo much) are liking this game a lot, it doesnt seem to be that honeymoon phase we had in Halo 4 (there was no such phase in Reach)

Btw, hi Josh!!

darthbob

The full game needs a region search, i don't care how long i have to wait for games i want a good connection

International server: http://xboxclips.com/ultimaotaku/a183e34d-40be-430a-b243-cc2829725b9b

Local: http://xboxclips.com/ultimaotaku/e19c6267-a968-4356-88fc-eaa997849ca8

Tell me about it. Second clip was nice, and the first clip you clearly would have killed both players if the connection was better.

Any word on concrete patches for MCC or is it now just a "we'll continue to make improvements" kind of situation?

Seems likely that they'll just be general stability and MM tweaks. We might get the avatar and nameplate with the next few patches as well.

MouldyK

Catching up on "TotalBiscuit's Arbitrary Video Game Awards - 2014" and Halo scooped his award for "The Stop Preordering Videogames award for Biggest Launch Disaster".

The other nominees were WOW: WoD, Watch Dogs, Unity and Driveclub.

The reason mostly boils down to:

- Misleading Reviews saying Multiplayer is fine.
- Halo's Multiplayer is popular and it is unacceptable to not have it working even a month after launch.
- People expected the game to give them a chance to relive their childhood and it failed that.

I can relate to the 3rd one.

Grenades need some reworking.
They take too long to detonate but have a bit too potent blast.

Basically making so if you are at a distance you are carrying artillery. While near enemies you'll die before they detonate, but with their powerful blasts it is like a martyrdom effect. Resulting in them being not too good for actual firefights.

Suggest bringing them closer to, but not quite, Halo 3 level. Effective in firefights but not too powerful.

Madness

I hope one thing they improve for launch is to work on the visual "clarity" in the game itself. I have no doubt it'll be a "looker" and the Sprint showed us they are working their asses off on each small detail of the maps. But maybe it's me and my eyes going bad or something. But I find the maps dark, there is too much random light and glare, too much haze and "cloudiness" and tint and a washed out look. In the past, the games were much sharper, clearer, with more saturated colors allowing for easy spotting. Coupled with crushed Xbox One blacks, things like ADS/Scopes/digital stuff, it just makes it tough to see enemies clearly sometimes on Truth. Forget about it if you also get Prophets Bane and the solar flare type effect it gives off. Anyone else feel the same way? I wonder if I should get some Gunnar glasses or something. Maybe that'll help.

Hey Frankie, is there a chance we'll ever be able to choose a different Spartan build and voice, rather than tying both to gender? Something looks kind of off about the males in Nightfall armor - it kind of reminds me of how wide-set the Reach Spartans were - so I've been using the thinner female build, but I'd prefer to still use the male voice.

Then again, I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for custom or unlockable Bro Banter voices, which would also solve the problem.

Granadier

Finally hit semipro. Not rated very high but I'll take it.

Congrats.

-------

On the grenade topic, I love love love how far grenades can be chucked now. It is so satisfying, and they really feel like hucking baseballs now when aimed well.
edit: But the genade hitmarkers are a real pain to have in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom