• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played 11 or 12 games total so far. Was initially placed in Gold 2 . I feel like some level of Onyx will be achievable which makes sense if Tawp, Ram, and ExWifeEugn etc. are Semi-pro tier.

I like the ranking system. I think people here are getting too caught up in old thinking re: ranks. Yeah, if you drop due to a 4v2 or crappy teammates that sucks, but just play a few games to dig yourself out. You're not going to get rank-locked with this system.

Playing on a far-away server has a very distinct feel, but that was an issue in less than a quarter of the games I played.

Disappointed to learn the magnum is 6-shot, but really like the reduced aim assist with all of the precision weapons. PLEASE DON'T INCREASE THE AIM ASSIST.

AR vs. AR combat is boring, but I have to admit I've had to actually think about my weapon pairings. Sometimes I want AR/DMR, sometimes BR/DMR, etc.

On grenades: 343 is in a tough spot with this. If everyone has thruster, a single beta grenade is kind of weak since the target can just thrust out of the way--so they boosted the damage. That now means that 2 beta grenades are an unnavigable nightmare. Not sure if I like that or not.

Grenades should be for flushing out enemies, enabling an escape, or limiting an opponent's movement options. On Truth and Empire they feel a little too much like finishers.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Played 11 or 12 games total so far. Was initially placed in Gold 2 . I feel like some level of Onyx will be achievable which makes sense if Tawp, Ram, and ExWifeEugn etc. are Semi-pro tier.

I like the ranking system. I think people here are getting too caught up in old thinking re: ranks. Yeah, if you drop due to a 4v2 or crappy teammates that sucks, but just play a few games to dig yourself out. You're not going to get rank-locked with this system.

Playing on a far-away server has a very distinct feel, but that was an issue in less than a quarter of the games I played.

Disappointed to learn the magnum is 6-shot, but really like the reduced aim assist with all of the precision weapons. PLEASE DON'T INCREASE THE AIM ASSIST.

AR vs. AR combat is boring, but I have to admit I've had to actually think about my weapon pairings. Sometimes I want AR/DMR, sometimes BR/DMR, etc.

On grenades: 343 is in a tough spot with this. If everyone has thruster, a single beta grenade is kind of weak since the target can just thrust out of the way--so they boosted the damage. That now means that 2 beta grenades are an unnavigable nightmare. Not sure if I like that or not.

Grenades should be for flushing out enemies, enabling an escape, or limiting an opponent's movement options. On Truth and Empire they feel a little too much like finishers.

I think you're right. People think it needs to be a steady up progression and nothing else. You're gonna bounce around, especially if you roll solo. People need to get over it and play the game.

Also, I agree with you on AR. It's boring as hell, but if it's gonna be in, I'll keep it for CQC until I can pick up a smg.

frankie charge for armor skins and voice packs. maps released for free. buy a summer house.

He just got a house and put up a little gym in his basement. Already spent all his space bucks.

VinFTW

I think you're right. People think it needs to be a steady up progression and nothing else. You're gonna bounce around, especially if you roll solo. People need to get over it and play the game.

I'm guilty of this, for sure. I'm just butthurt I got screwed out of my semi-pro from early access. Now I can't get it back because the game is so good and I don't want to wait around to play with gaffers so I say, "fuck it, let's MM by myself and hope to get a good team"... NOPE.

Maybe if the game sucked I wouldn't even play it :(

AlStrong

I hope one thing they improve for launch is to work on the visual "clarity" in the game itself.

Heh, it reminds me of when Halo 2 was released and I couldn't stand the bloom post-effect they added (it actually hurt my eyes for a while). It wasn't so bad once the framebuffer res was increased on PC, but at 480p, the bloom felt pretty harsh at the time coming off of CE.

What kind of voice packs would there be?
Like which characters are we thinking of?

Depends on who they can get the rights for, but Chief / Cortana / Halsey / Spartan Ops dudes / new characters / Locke / ODST squad, or at least Fillion would all be solid contenders. You could also just give some more options like ethnicity (so getting spartans with british / aussie accents, make up ones like an "eridanian accent," hungarian-style for Jorge, etc.)

Depends on who they can get the rights for, but Chief / Cortana / Halsey / Spartan Ops dudes / new characters / Locke / ODST squad, or at least Fillion would all be solid contenders. You could also just give some more options like ethnicity (so getting spartans with british / aussie accents, make up ones like an "eridanian accent," hungarian-style for Jorge, etc.)
Still waiting on The Christopher Walken personalization pack with chatter pack, and licensed skins

CliQ

I'd never pay for action figure voices but I would pay for a side campaign that was coop focused. Not Spartan ops an actual side campaign. Like the last of us' DLC campaign.

Madness

Voices were free in Reach... They weren't really useful for anything beyond Firefight if I recall, but just saying. You don't need to monetize everything just because you can.

I don't see them implementing anything radical for DLC. I fully expect the same routine map packs one after the other after launch with a season pass being a cheaper option.

Can't tell wtf happened here.
http://xboxclips.com/finalknight92/223b7fc2-0d0f-45e4-9689-8083ae63bed6

Halsey wouldn't really fit.
Cortana and Chief are givens.
SpOps dudes are practically in it already as the current defaults.
Locke, probably in it.
I don't know how you'd make ODST stand out as unique.

If we can't play as Elites, let us at least talk as them.

Akai__

You know what I would like to see?

A medal and announcer slider.

- Low would give you the amount of medals and announcements Halo 3 had to offer
- Medium would give you the amount of medals and announcements Halo Reach had to offer
- High would give you the amount of medals and announcements Halo 5 actually has to offer

I really don't care about Perfect, Reversal, Distraction, Brawler etc. If I get a slider which can keep those medals and announcements to a minimum, that would be awesome.

Also, bring back the original Sniper Headshot medal! 343i please...

One of the Spartans sounds a lot like David Cross.

You know what I would like to see?

A medal and announcer slider.

- Low would give you the amount of medals and announcements Halo 3 had to offer
- Medium would give you the amount of medals and announcements Halo Reach had to offer
- High would give you the amount of medals and announcements Halo 5 actually has to offer

I really don't care about Perfect, Reversal, Distraction, Brawler etc. If I get a slider which can keep those medals and announcements to a minimum, that would be awesome.

Also, bring back the original Sniper Headshot medal! 343i please...

Woah, now. Steitzer going "purrfect" is probably one of (if not the) best things about the beta.

Seriously though, good thought. Maybe even allow you to toggle them individually?

woodland

Man. The ranks are just fucked to hell in the beta, but understandably.

I'll have Semi-Pro's, 3 Gold, some Onyx, or whatever on the other teams load screen. In the game, it shows them as blank circles in game. Not to mention I'm bronze 3 and getting paired up with semi-pros and onyx, while the onyx players in my games go -9.

Oh well.

edit; Also I'm just tired of the lame accessibility thinking in games nowadays. You could do something cool with midship - the not-lift base alcove in the base could be a new jump, where you have to be at the high part at back and thrust forward into a crouch jump to make it. Instead you just walk to the highest part and clamber up. Lame. I didn't even think clamber was a waste of space until that.

Still pissed I have to deal with sprint too, especially since ring-around-the rosy with thrusters is impossible to get around 1 on 1.

The distraction medal is pretty stupid. Only damage I took was from a random nade, and I got a distraction medal. I didn't do anything.

It's a nice medal, but they need to narrow the criteria, yeah. Maybe have it be "took damage AND currently in their crosshairs," or something.

jem0208

Woah, now. Steitzer going "purrfect" is probably one of (if not the) best things about the beta.

Seriously though, good thought. Maybe even allow you to toggle them individually?
Purrfect is literally the most satisfying thing in the entire game. It's so good.

Clamber has all but killed any semblance of jumping, crouch jumping, trick jumps, or "platforming". Don't think I've made a single jump I didn't also Clamber after.

I don't think it's killed anything, only changed it. We're getting crazy new and weird trick jumps with all the new options. Using stuff like stabilizers to make the last few feet etc. I've done stuff like sprint jumping, thrusting to my left, then clambering up a ledge something that wouldn't be at all possible without clamber.

I like it for the fact that it lets me know the guy that was shooting me is now dead.

I'm weird though, none of the shit that I see being complained about bothers me at all. Announcements, chatter, & the Spartan intros/post game...none of that bothers me, it's just there, whatever.

I feel like a lot of that is just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Ramirez

The distraction medal is pretty stupid. Only damage I took was from a random nade, and I got a distraction medal. I didn't do anything.

I like it for the fact that it lets me know the guy that was shooting me is now dead.

I'm weird though, none of the shit that I see being complained about bothers me at all. Announcements, chatter, & the Spartan intros/post game...none of that bothers me, it's just there, whatever. Same as crouch jumping, you could make any crouch jump in past games with clamber more than likely, now everyone can do it, and not just the nerds who know every possible map trick. Crouch jumps never made or broke a game in random matchmaking. I feel like clamber could even improve past maps, being able to climb out of the flag room on Pit, or climb up to green. I think thrusting/sprinting/clamber/stabilize will open up just as many different jump routes, the game is a few days old, give people time.

I'm weird though, none of the shit that I see being complained about bothers me at all. Announcements, chatter, & the Spartan intros/post game...none of that bothers me, it's just there, whatever. Same as crouch jumping, you could make any crouch jump in past games with clamber more than likely, now everyone can do it, and not just the nerds who know every possible map trick. Crouch jumps never made or broke a game in random matchmaking. I feel like clamber could even improve past maps, being able to climb out of the flag room on Pit, or climb up to green. I think thrusting/sprinting/clamber/stabilize will open up just as many different jump routes, the game is a few days old, give people time.

I think there's room for both crouch jumps and clamber. Clamber allows you to reach heights that older jumps just couldn't, creating more verticality and preventing especially quick routes from being used to escape (Red and Blue Sneaky on Empire come to mind). That said, inserting some crouch-jump height "steps" to some parts of the map isn't a terrible idea either. You could either go for the clamber, and sacrifice speed and shooting, or master the crouch jump for maximum mobility.

Like I said. Room for both, if they figure out the control scheme to get crouch jump back in.

Ramirez

I think there's room for both crouch jumps and clamber. Clamber allows you to reach heights that older jumps just couldn't, creating more verticality and preventing especially quick routes from being used to escape (Red and Blue Sneaky on Empire come to mind). That said, inserting some crouch-jump height "steps" to some parts of the map isn't a terrible idea either. You could either go for the clamber, and sacrifice speed and shooting, or master the crouch jump for maximum mobility.

Like I said. Room for both, if they figure out the control scheme to get crouch jump back in.

This is the main reason I think it's dead. Plus the maps seem to both be designed for clamber jumps and nothing else, we'll see with the other maps I guess.

This is the main reason I think it's dead. Plus the maps seem to both be designed for clamber jumps and nothing else, we'll see with the other maps I guess.

The maps are currently designed exclusively for clamber, yeah, but we're a year out from launch; plenty of time for that to change.

Ramirez

The maps are currently designed exclusively for clamber, yeah, but we're a year out from launch; plenty of time for that to change.

Sure.

5JbDKH0.png

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
frankie charge for armor skins and voice packs. maps released for free. buy a summer house.

probably a bad idea (cue someones quote bolding previous statement) but what it they charged 65 MSRP (from 60) for the game and scheduled 3-4 map packs that would be free? yay/nay?

RSB

Banned
Yeah, I guess they could make it so both clamber and crouch jump are in the game. Clamber would be like easy mode, and crouch jump would be expert mode.

Clamber would be easier to perform, but you would only be able to do it in one direction, it would be slower, and the animation would leave you vulnerable for a second. Crouch jumping, on the other hand, would be harder to do, but you would be able to do it in any direction, it would be faster, and it wouldn't have any recovery animation.

I still would prefer to have just the classic crouch jump and either a higher jump or a double jump. Clamber just feels way too automatic and unrewarding IMO.

The absence of crouch jump is probably my second most hated thing about the beta after ADS.

I'm sure the Pro Team has already lamented the loss of crouch jumping, think it's time to embrace the clamber future, lol.
I hope you're wrong. 343 should focus on adding new cool mechanics, not removing great classic ones. If clamber was a better more interesting mechanic than crouch jump, I would understand its removal, but it isn't. No crouch jump in the final game would be a deal breaker to me (same with classic zoom not being at least an option) Well, we'll see.

You honestly think they're gonna redesign entire maps for a niche skill like crouch jumping?

I don't think they'd have to redesign the entire map, though. Altering some of the existing jumps to be crouch jumps, by adding additional steps or tweaking the existing ones wouldn't require totally altering the map. They've said they want this thing to be esports-heavy, so niche skills are kind of necessary.

Ramirez

I don't think they'd have to redesign the entire map, though. Altering some of the existing jumps to be crouch jumps, by adding additional steps or tweaking the existing ones wouldn't require totally altering the map. They've said they want this thing to be esports-heavy, so niche skills are kind of necessary.

I'm sure the Pro Team has already lamented the loss of crouch jumping, think it's time to embrace the clamber future, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom