• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skullface

Damn... is there aim-assist? For some reason i recall hearing/reading it doesn't have any.

Ah, well, i can play it with KB/M if necessary, my laptop just likes heating up under WASD...

Wait what. Having a NeoGAF moment here, "YES" and "NO"...

I didn't have any issues... There could be many factors to consider I guess.

rrc1594

If the games is broken it's broken, you can't defend that shit. I been having a blast, but with custom. 8v8 CE can't believe it took 13 years to experience that joy

jem0208

Okay, so I just accidentally brought a bunch of people into my custom games, I hadn't even started matchmaking. This game is so fucking broken, it's really quite funny.

Netprints

Okay, so I just accidentally brought a bunch of people into my custom games. This game is so fucking broken, it's really quite funny.

I had this happen a couple of times but the opposite. I would back out and I would all of a sudden be in someone else's lobby, a person who I never ran into during matchmaking. Its very odd.

Zoolader

How's Halo PC with 360 controller? I don't think i've ever tried it with that.
Have kind of a feel i want to play it but i really don't care playing with KB/M, even if it is really superior.

Plays just fine for me on pc with a 360 controller and the wireless adapter. It's not so great in matchmaking though playing against kbm players.

Skullface

Game came out when I was 7 and I never gamed on PC. So it's whole new wonderful experience for me

Ah, I was like 12. Enjoy brother. Just glad that wasn't a false memory 😆

Edit: aww shit dude, I was 15 going on 16.

Edit: I just realized I hadn't even played this version until long after DLC maps for Halo 2

Woorloog

Banned
Plays just fine for me on pc with a 360 controller and the wireless adapter. It's not so great in matchmaking though playing against kbm players.

I have wired controller, wonder how it compared to wireless.

EDIT Oh, man. The installer has a screenshot of the Halo CE Longsword. How beautiful the craft is in the game. Never liked how it looked in Halo 3 and Reach.

-Ryn

Banned
You're right, it was dumb to word it the way I did. They care. It goes without saying Halo 5 is obviously a priority. I guess we'll see how the population shakes out. I think the game will do really well, but without the bugs this package is a tremendous focus test that 343 can and will use to see where in the series people are trending. If anywhere. Right now it means fuck all, but, you know, later.
It's fine dude. Halo 5 is definitely the priority (which makes sense given that they want it to be the best it can). Hopefully the population for the MCC recovers quickly.
I have no doubt that a lot of people will come back for the Halo 5 beta and after it's over I think the population will probably stick around since most of the problems will likely be fixed.

Sorry it took me so long to reply lol

Skullface

Anyone else think some parts of H2 look better in their original form rather than the Anniversary version? I was showing it off to my sister the other day and when ever I was playing as the Chief I forgot I was in OG mode at times. Arbiter is too obvious.

Woorloog

Banned
Oh, hell.
I forgot how terrible 30fps animations look in 60fps. OTOH, the game does look rather nice with 60fps/1600x900 (display native) resolution.
Also, the cropped-widescreen is terrible. Gotta find that FOV hack and adjust things a bit... does it work with the latest patch? (1.010, i think.)

Omni

Anyone else think some parts of H2 look better in their original form rather than the Anniversary version? I was showing it off to my sister the other day and when ever I was playing as the Chief I forgot I was in OG mode at times. Arbiter is too obvious.
I think High Charity is worse in the Anniversary mode. My biggest issues are the weirdly scaled Keyship in the background, the human buildings, the over lit Coliseum and the bad replacement track for Breaking Benjamin. Oh and Cortana (I don't even want to know what they were smoking to think her new design is okay)

As a whole though, I believe they played it too safe with the new environments. Sure CEA to some was taken a bit too far with the artistic liberties. But H2 has taken... well next to none. It looks the same as it did 10 years ago but with a few extra details. Which is kinda boring. I'd have liked them to take a middle ground approach

I think High Charity is worse in the Anniversary mode. My biggest issues are the weirdly scaled Keyship in the background, the human buildings, the over lit Coliseum and the bad replacement track for Breaking Benjamin. Oh and Cortana (I don't even want to know what they were smoking to think her new design is okay)

As a whole though, I believe they played it too safe with the new environments. Sure CEA to some was taken a bit too far with the artistic liberties. But H2 has taken... well next to none. It looks the same as it did 10 years ago but with a few extra details. Which is kinda boring. I'd have liked them to take a middle ground approach

hahahahahahaha

otherwise I get what you're saying.

Woorloog

Banned
Damn. The third person hack does not work anymore.

Also. Damn. How fun Halo CE Banshee is! So agile... Also, pre-Halo Reach Banshees look 10000 times better than the Reach-onward Banshees.
The AR and Fuel Rod gun missing some... specular (?) effects is annoying though. There seems to be a mod to restore those...
Didn't bother trying controller for this, my KB/M settings are actually good enough. Action in Left Alt, very odd, no? Usually people have action/use (in any game) in E.

Also flying the Banshee reminded me how my brother once beat 3 other Banshees in a single fight while he was flying.

EDIT I've heard the replacement track from Youtube. It is utterly terrible. The original is so good!

I definitely agree with the bolded. Besides the cutscenes, H2A is a lot more boring than HCEA was in the graphics department. HCEA had so much added but H2A looks like a reskin. I think HCEA actually looks better than H2A, even if certain parts of HCEA got the mood wrong.

Damn. The third person hack does not work anymore.

Also. Damn. How fun Halo CE Banshee is! So agile... Also, pre-Halo Reach Banshees look 10000 times better than the Reach-onward Banshees.
The AR and Fuel Rod gun missing some... specular (?) effects is annoying though. There seems to be a mod to restore those...
Didn't bother trying controller for this, my KB/M settings are actually good enough. Action in Left Alt, very odd, no? Usually people have action/use (in any game) in E.

Also flying the Banshee reminded me how my brother once beat 3 other Banshees in a single fight while he was flying.

EDIT I've heard the replacement track from Youtube. It is utterly terrible. The original is so good!

I thought you were talking about MCC first and it confused the heck out of me. Youre playing Halo 1 PC.

Yeah, there are mods to restore reflections to the AR and flagpole and stuff. There is not a fix for the ruined teleporter textures (which carried over into MCC).

I wouldnt bother with a controller either. I don't think it has any build in aim assistance for controllers which makes it much harder to play compared to the xbox version. Stick with kb/m.

Madness

There are more than double the amount of viewers watching Unity streams on Twitch than MCC. Just think about that for a second. Sure we'll keep the game/community going, hell I played Halo 4 for almost two years, but with matchmaking patch not coming till next week, and these issues persisting, I fully expect the game won't recover it's initial player-base anymore. Of course as things are fixed, and pros and the HCS starts sure the game will have long legs, but that initial sheer number of players playing is gone and all momentum dead.

Eh, how does it look different?

You mean the teleporter?

Bad offscreen video of xbox original teleporter vs screen capture PC teleporter:

So do you think they're ever going to fix the teleports?

Halo 1 Xbox (Off Screen):

NNZ5dww.gif

Halo 1 MCC (PC):

1nHSR5E.gif

Whoah, that's a huge difference.

Restoration mod: Does it affect my ability to play Halo PC online?

Graphics mods dont affect online at all. Whatever mod this is is probably just modifying bitmaps.map and maybe some textures in the level map files. I used to be big into modding Halo PC (I even did a couple textures for CMT) and I modded my textures all the time. Got my game looking mighty pretty.

There are more than double the amount of viewers watching Unity streams on Twitch than MCC. Just think about that for a second. Sure we'll keep the game/community going, hell I played Halo 4 for almost two years, but with matchmaking patch not coming till next week, and these issues persisting, I fully expect the game won't recover it's initial player-base anymore. Of course as things are fixed, and pros and the HCS starts sure the game will have long legs, but that initial sheer number of players playing is gone and all momentum dead.

We'll see. It's gonna be dead for a while, but HCS and the Black Friday rush could give it a boost. What'd be ideal is if 343 offers up a free H2A map pack or something; yes, I know they weren't going to do any DLC, but that was before... uh, this. A free DLC is a great way to get back the people they lost fixing this thing.

This is sort of random but to anyone who is interested in H5, I was wondering if you thought of control scheme wishes already? I have played bumper jumper since halo 3 & was thinking about how bumper jumper could work in h5.

I was thinking of something like:

LT - grenade
RT - shoot
LB - jump
RB - melee
Right Stick - zoom (I pray there is a toggle option to click instead of having to hold the stick in.)
Left Stick - crouch/ground pound
A button - sprint or thrust
B button - sprint, thrust or reload
X button - sprint, thrust or reload
Y button - switch weapons
dpad - swtich grenades (left or right)

For comparision, this was halo 4's bumper jumper:

LT - grenade
RT - shoot
LB - jump
RB - melee
Right stick - zoom
left stick - crouch
A button - sprint
B button - reload
X button - armor ability
Y button - switch weapons
dpad - swtich grenades (left or right)

Ideally I would hope bumper jumper stays the same as halo 4. just replace the armor ability button with thrust since thrust its the only new input besides ground pound. Ground pound is paired with crouch so it can just go on the left stick with crouch ヽ(*・ω・)ノ

Any other bumper jumper users agree?

Yeah, sounds good. Frankie already confirmed that the oldschool control schemes are coming back, though. So this is probably already a thing XD

What sparked my thought of this was greenskull's newest vid on that forge looking map. He talked about recon control scheme which he uses so I was thinking about bumper jumper & wanted to say something as early as possible =) I remember pre halo 4 builds had an awful variant of bumper jumper that was changed closer to release. I want the good true bumper jumper to be in the beta so I can play the beta to the fullest extent!

This is sort of random but to anyone who is interested in H5, I was wondering if you thought of control scheme wishes already? I have played bumper jumper since halo 3 & was thinking about how bumper jumper could work in h5.

-snip-

Any other bumper jumper users agree?

Yeah, sounds good. Frankie already confirmed that the oldschool control schemes are coming back, though. So this is probably already a thing XD

Madness

We'll see. It's gonna be dead for a while, but HCS and the Black Friday rush could give it a boost. What'd be ideal is if 343 offers up a free H2A map pack or something; yes, I know they weren't going to do any DLC, but that was before... uh, this. A free DLC is a great way to get back the people they lost fixing this thing.

Who would make this DLC and when? I think it's totally unrealistic to expect any new dlc made and be given for free. It doesn't seem like the majority of the studio even worked on anything MCC related beyond networking, playlist management and some testing. Otherwise most 343 employees are focused on Halo 5 and the beta and say they have nothing to do with MCC.

Maps are something that take months to make, test, release. It's just something they won't do, especially since it was CA who was making and working on the maps. At best they could probably whip up their forge designs like Battle Creek or something. But I think that was something they were going to do with HCS anyways, having some maps designed for competitive play.

Who would make this DLC and when? I think it's totally unrealistic to expect any new dlc made and be given for free. It doesn't seem like the majority of the studio even worked on anything MCC related beyond networking, playlist management and some testing. Otherwise most 343 employees are focused on Halo 5 and the beta and say they have nothing to do with MCC.

Maps are something that take months to make, test, release. It's just something they won't do, especially since it was CA who was making and working on the maps. At best they could probably whip up their forge designs like Battle Creek or something. But I think that was something they were going to do with HCS anyways, having some maps designed for competitive play.

I did say that that's the ideal case :p

You're right, it's probably unrealistic. Still, you never know.

eh that kind of thing doesn't matter to me. They should patch some of the other PC changes back to the Xbox way of doing things though, to make the more hardcore fans happy!

I agree that there are higher priorities (like weapon timers and spawn locations) but it bothers me a lot. It matters to me purely because it sticks out like a sore thumb. You can't escape it, you see it like a big green banner in front of you in almost every single multiplayer level. Like a big sign that says "BTW THIS IS NOT XBOX VERSION." I can't ignore it, it's always in my face. Plus the original effect was so cool it's a shame to lose it. The PC one looks like shit.

I noticed that they went out of their way to apply some fixes to the MCC(PC) version to make it look more like the xbox version (much like the Restoration Mod spoken of above) but they havent touched the teleporters.

However there are a few PC changes I will stand with forever. I like the PC version of Sidewinder better. I like the inclusion of the rocket hog, banshee, flamethrower and fuel rod. It's probably a good idea that certain PC map fixes were included, some of them could ruin matches completely. Fightme1v1irl

CliQ

8QEGJn5.jpg

Just wanted to remind everyone that we are one day away from the first ever Halo: MCC Throwdown!!! I've very excited to play in an epic match but I am also not oblivious to the numerous issues that are going on right now.

With that said, I have a backup plan. in case we can't do an 8v8 in Halo: CE we will fall back to H2A Bloodline with similar rules. If you would like to get put on the backup list please send me a PM with your GT and skill level (1-10) so I can add you.

Here is a list of all the sign ups so far...

Signed Up
xCliQuEx
Kaizen Gamer
MIXMASTERCHlEF
MizzouRah88
Beamimpact
xGranadier
Vin FTW
LUCKY OVERLORD
Welfare Queen I
Gorillabawlz
B0rder jumper14
Poodlestrike
The Tharp Daddy
Jayrme D
ToEmbersAshes
WomJom

Backups
versatil7
uwdanman
Impala26
Slixshot
FUNKNOWN IXI
phaonaut

See you tomorrow on the battlefield!

I don't agree, but we'll have to wait and see. The reason there was so much momentum in the first place is because of how much love there is for the previous halo games and the franchise. The Master Chief Collection is almost all just revisions and updates to the originals. You don't lose 10 to 14 years of love for a franchise due to 1 week of matchmaking issues and some game breaking bugs. I'm talking about dedicated fans here. Not some random new kid that just picks up the game on a whim. I think if Combat Evolved can do what it did for the xbox back in the day, a fixed TMCC can steadily rebuild the fan base over time - even with the disastrous launch. People have already acknowledged that the game is really great when it works and I agree. Once 343 gets the kinks worked out this game is going to be a tidal wave. Granted this is all my own opinion and speculation.

Woorloog

Banned
Patching was quite a chore.
Anyway, now i noticed i have an issue. I have this very annoying micro-stutter, or some kind of judder across full screen when turning fast with a lot of stuff on the screen. FPS is glued to 60 but...
Eh, should i tweak settings with Nvidia control center or something?

EDIT Should i enable triple-buffering? Or something else? I'm not an expert in this stuff. Hell, i have no idea what half of these things mean.
EDIT Not sure if Triple-buffering or forcing V-sync fixed it. Either way, it is better now.

Omni

I just don't get the Breaking Benjamin love outside of nostalgia. They're... pretty bad radio rock.

Well in a game that's exploiting nostalgia as its main selling point...

I dunno. I don't like BB outside of that one track. I just think it worked with the fight. Maybe 'cause I played H2's campaign consistently for years. But anything else just seems wrong now

Caja 117

is possible CA didnt just work on 6 maps from start, and they have code for more maps that never made the cut. so I wouldnt call it totally unrealistic, I for one woulndt be surprise if this happens

Woorloog

Banned
Well in a game that's exploiting nostalgia as its main selling point...

I dunno. I don't like BB outside of that one track. I just think it worked with the fight. Maybe 'cause I played H2's campaign consistently for years. But anything else just seems wrong now

Yup. It just fits the scene so very well. Just like that Incubus track (i don't like Incubus at all otherwise) fits those Banshee scenes so well.

Halo 2 anniversary was perfect until I saw tons of frame rate dips. Like really low dips. Unfortunate. Why can't developers stay true to their words?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom