• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? I love that. Adds risk to throwing it.

Not sure if serious, but in terms of combat scenarios, it's even more impossible than supersoldiers with future armor, jetpack thrusters and AI assistants.

It's probably one of the worst things to ever happen to Halo combat, especially since its likelihood of occurring has increased with every game. It adds a completely unnecessary component to the Halo "golden triangle" and discourages the type of gameplay that people play Halo to experience.

EDIT: And, as others have said, it's never done on purpose, so it's a random reward that does nothing to further quality gameplay.

Omni

Played a game of this Breakout thing

I don't like it. I honestly don't get how you guys can enjoy Halo without a motion tracker. Maybe it's a different thing when you're up against pro players or something. I don't know. But in my experience people just run around like headless chickens with no cohesion at all. If the game was like this by default, I can honestly say I would not play it.

Chitown B

I don't like it. I honestly don't get how you guys can enjoy Halo without a motion tracker. Maybe it's a different thing when you're up against pro players or something. I don't know. But in my experience people just run around like headless chickens with no cohesion at all. If the game was like this by default, I can honestly say I would not play it.

I hate games without motion tracker. Totally agree. MT is a staple of Halo, and removing it for "pro mode" is stupid. It's a way to plan attacks.

Were you with randoms, or a party? That'll most likely answer your question.

Omni

I hate games without motion tracker. Totally agree. MT is a staple of Halo, and removing it for "pro mode" is stupid. It's a way to plan attacks.

I won't go as far to say that removing it for 'pro' modes is silly. Because I do get the complaints against it when you're trying to be competitive

Just that if this was the default thing in Halo, period.

Every nade I hit is because of my skill.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

In all seriousness it does need to go. All it does is add more luck into the situation, and the game should be more about skill than blind luck.

Players that have no idea how to work with a team will always run around like headless chickens. That's nothing to do with the motion tracker. I also don't think it's fair to use breakout as an example of no motion tracker affecting the game negatively.

What does "planning attacks" even mean in that context? You need a motion tracker to even know what you want to do? No motion tracker allows you to flank teams that are unaware of their surroundings. Isn't that a way to plan an attack?

I don't know about you, but I can still plan my attacks without radar. I can nade in advance, have a plan to hold a certain position on the map either for the position alone or to get a better chance at locking down a power weapon, and I can certainly choose when to push on a team without radar.

ultimota

gonna keep saying it 'till it gets more awareness H5 needs region search....

Regret plays weird doesn't seem to be any flow to it
Eden is great except you can barely see the blue team
the Hydra is fun as shit when it works

Omni

Is it just me or is it hard as balls to see blue team on that night map?

I like that we're getting darker maps. But there needs to be more lights planted around. Because it honestly feels like they have a blatant advantage. Though it doesn't help with the image quality being rather low in this beta, I guess

Welfare

I hear what you're saying but bullets in general should do more damage to the head right? Wouldn't that be more consistent?

Automatics shouldn't get the modifier as the randomness of said weapons would play too much in a gun battle. Consistency be damned in that regard.

Players should not be given benefits for using less skilled weapons.

Since everyone else is doing it, I'll post my "matchmaking failure" example for the day.

Step 1 - be semi-pro on account
Step 2 - get a low-gold and 2 unrankeds as your random teammates vs. 3 onyx and a semi-pro
Step 3 - go 17-10 and lose 50-28 because teammates go 5-11, 5-14, and 1-15.
Step 4 - ???
Step 5 - Profit?

Not sure if serious, but in terms of combat scenarios, it's even more impossible than supersoldiers with future armor, jetpack thrusters and AI assistants.

It's probably one of the worst things to ever happen to Halo combat, especially since its likelihood of occurring has increased with every game. It adds a completely unnecessary component to the Halo "golden triangle" and discourages the type of gameplay that people play Halo to experience.

EDIT: And, as others have said, it's never done on purpose, so it's a random reward that does nothing to further quality gameplay.
I don't find fun in killing an enemy by accidentally shooting their grenade as they throw it, especially when it happens to me.

CliQ

Automatics shouldn't get the modifier as the randomness of said weapons would play too much in a gun battle. Consistency be damned in that regard.

Players should not be given benefits for using less skilled weapons.

Now I know I shouldn't compare Halo to other games but when you look at counter strike all of the guns do bonus damage to the head, even the automatics. I'm just asking why you think head shots should only be on the precision weapons? I know you want those guns to do the best and they already do but if I'm aiming my assault rifle at your head shouldn't it also get the bonus?

We agree on this, good sir. I was just more verbose.
Oh I know, I just wanted to show support lol. First time it happened to me I was thrown off because I legitimately believed they would have removed it by now.

It's something you really only hear complaints about, similar to the Active Camo AA from Reach actually.

CliQ

Oh I know, I just wanted to show support lol. First time it happened to me I was thrown off because I legitimately believed they would have removed it by now.

It's something you really only hear complaints about, similar to the Active Camo AA from Reach actually.

Grenades blowing up in my face is extremely frustrating. I just wanted to chime in on that.

Weapons real talk time.

Models are mostly okay. BR I guess is okay if ADS is a must. DMR is okay too, not bad but slightly prefer the original. AR too, pretty vanilla, prefer Reach's though. Pistol seems kinda stubby. SMG, eh, like ODST's more.
Lightrifle, seem pretty unchanged from Halo 4. Decent.
Bane is hideous. Like a curved glow tube that blinds you, like seriously awful. Vanilla Sword is decent. Shape is nice but could use more of the H2+H3 equip animation. Gave it a sense of power, and add the crackle and arcs, not the same without it.

Hydra, looks okay. But feels like a pointless and kinda worthless addition. Should have just kept its superior original, the Plasma Launcher.

Turns out the SMG and Assault Rifle do bonus damage to the head. Explains the inconsistent kill times on automatics.

I vaguely remember people arguing this before.
Looks like the one guy was right all along.

Weapons real talk time.

Models are mostly okay. BR I guess is okay if ADS is a must. DMR is okay too, not bad but slightly prefer the original. AR too, pretty vanilla, prefer Reach's though. Pistol seems kinda stubby. SMG, eh, like ODST's more.
Lightrifle, seem pretty unchanged from Halo 4. Decent.
Bane is hideous. Like a curved glow tube that blinds you, like seriously awful. Vanilla Sword is decent. Shape is nice but could use more of the H2+H3 equip animation. Gave it a sense of power, and add the crackle and arcs, not the same without it.

Hydra, looks okay. But feels like a pointless and kinda worthless addition. Should have just kept its superior original, the Plasma Launcher.

I vaguely remember people arguing this before.
Looks like the one guy was right all along.

Uh Lightrifle is completely different from Halo 4, singleshot only, smaller clip size, 3 shot kill capability, in 4 it's just a glorified and worse BR.

Akai__

Grenade shooting needs to go, I agree. They also need to get nerfed, because the blast radius and the damage can be ridiculous. I feel like they are also acting weird, when you throw them. Might be the animation, but on the other hand they sometimes don't bounce or bounce like one time.

Yesterday, when I played my first session of Breakout, I threw a grenade across Crossfire and got a double kill and two Hail Marry's (or whatever they are called). That was really awesome.

I really like Breakout, because the abilities are pretty good balanced in that mode. No one overuses them and they don't get the chance to run away that often and if they do, they run into other people very quick. Sure, people like to camp certain positions, but that will be a non issue on a higher level, I think. You can flank enemies with all sorts of routes and a well placed grenade does wonders. People are making the mistake to throw their nades right at the beginning, which can lead to a lucky nade throw, but the majority of those grenade throws are wasted potential. You should hold onto your grenade, until you see a better opportunity.

tootsi666

Now I know I shouldn't compare Halo to other games but when you look at counter strike all of the guns do bonus damage to the head, even the automatics. I'm just asking why you think head shots should only be on the precision weapons? I know you want those guns to do the best and they already do but if I'm aiming my assault rifle at your head shouldn't it also get the bonus?
Recoil in CS is predictable and good players can learn to control that recoil. In Halo automatics are slot machines and you can't learn to control recoil. Headshot bonus on weapons you can't aim accurately is stupid.

jem0208

Been thinking about motion tracker after playing Breakout and I realised I miss it. Not because I couldn't see where the enemies were. It's because I often use it to keep track of where my teammates are then position myself accordingly. I actually found it a lot more difficult to be a team player in Breakout because I was constantly having to look around to see where my team mates are.

I think the best way to have motion tracker would be kinda similar to CoD. You can always see your allies if they're in range but you can only see enemies if they sprint or shoot within range of you.

Also Breakout definitely needs an objective. I think a KOTH type would probably be best as it would force both teams to move around the map. Currently there's too much camping.

Akai__

Teammate goes 1-15 in Halo 5 Slayer, but hey he has Optic in his GT, so he must be a 1337 player...

This ranking system is straight up bad. Not getting matched up with people according to my skill. It's either we win with more than twice the points or we lose 50-35ish, because I and some random have to carry our team.

When is the next MCC patch? Day 53 and the game still isn't fixed.

When is the next MCC patch? Day 53 and the game still isn't fixed.

They've broke the weekly cadence to focus on the H5 beta it appears (or they hoped everybody would be distracted by the beta long enough to buy them more time). The latest patch has actually made the game worse in my experience. Lord knows how many 1 GB CU's it's gonna take to make the game bare minimum functional.

jem0208

They've broke the weekly cadence to focus on the H5 beta it appears (or they hoped everybody would be distracted by the beta long enough to buy them more time). The latest patch has actually made the game worse in my experience. Lord knows how many 1 GB CU's it's gonna take to make the game bare minimum functional.
I think it's more likely they've broken the weekly thing due to the holidays.

blamite

Auaugh, why is Game DVR so bad? I selected to record the last 5 minutes, but only got 3 and a half... Does using "record that" interfere with the DVR or something?

Haruko

Please take out destructible grenades.

I need to test this again, since it was accidentally done the first time and I forgot to record, but last week I'm pretty sure I sniped a frag that was on it's spawn point on Empire, and it blew up. It did not seem to blow up the 2nd frag at that spawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom