• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference is that the past halos had two ways of showing you where a teammate was. It had the service tag/emblem if they were in your line of sight and had arrows if they weren't in your line of sight.

Halo 5 has the service tag if they're on your line of sight, but doesn't have arrows if they are outside your line of sight. They do however have a white dot on the edge of your radar if they go outside your radars range. So if a teammate is behind you and outside your radars range, it will show up on the bottom of your radar, but on the edge indicating that he's behind you.

jqEpdRsTOU5pt.png

jKMI7MEMFDEUq.png

Notice the white dots on the edge of the radar showing teammates are to the left, but outside the radar's range. No arrows.
jZdyeTN1g5fx9.png

When the radar is taken away like in Breakout, it no longer has two ways of showing you where a teammate is meaning you can only know where teammates are if they are in your line of sight.

jcABbFn9V8TlI.png

That's not the no radar mechanic's fault. It's 343s fault for making you rely on the radar for a teammates position more so than past Halos.
This feedback, where did it go? Couple this with Spartan call outs and I don't see a necessity for motion tracker.
Black text on a red background is a big no no.
I feel so ashamed that I made this mistake..

EDIT: Fixed.

Fuchsdh

Yeah, blue team on the night map is a bad, bad idea that really shouldn't have made it to the beta. Time to kill still seems too fast to me, spending more time exclusively playing the beta. And Breakout is interesting but not my style of Halo so I don't think I'd play it much.

Also, the Hydra is interesting but I'm not sure whether I feel it's powerful enough or underpowered. It feels to me like I don't really know if I'm going to kill someone with it, as opposed to traditional power weapons with less shots.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
hahahah nice, I just created three versions!

MO1ropF.png
IaZSF0x.png
6u1jbC4.png

^Here ya go jem, solutions for ya problems. Trust us, you don't need enemies on your motion tracker to do well in Halo. Your mind games will improve drastically without depending on it, something I believe is underestimated when trying to hand-hold players with motion tracker.

Don't worry dawg, Custom Games
Browser
;]

N0rs9Se.gif

Josh Holmes' twitter is a treasure trove of info. Gandhi Hop is coming back, GPS will be activated differently, the "bones" of the game is done so don't expect massive changes in that regard, etc etc.

Also, here's the magic formula:

There’s a bug in the calculation where it doesn’t account for melee kills properly. But it’s ((K+(A/3))-D)/games played.

Welfare

Josh Holmes' twitter is a treasure trove of info. Gandhi Hop is coming back, GPS will be activated differently, the "bones" of the game is done so don't expect massive changes in that regard, etc etc.

Yay at Gandhi hop coming back.

dwells

I managed to play H5 with my friend for a few hours last night and every single game took many, many search attempts. Over those hours, we easily spent more time trying to find games than playing them. Our party was split or otherwise broken multiple times.

Additionally, I've been trying to find a game of Breakout (my first, mind you) for the past ten minutes and have gotten nowhere.

This game isn't as broken as Master Chief Collection, but it's pretty bad. I was in the early friends and family betas of both CoD4 and Halo 3 and even at their earliest stages with very low populations, they worked a damn sight better than this. As has any other AAA beta I've had.

I haven't seen as much chatter about it though - are others experiencing the same problems and just giving it a pass because it's a beta, or is my experience and the experience of the six other people in this lobby for the past five minutes an outlier?

So. I actually preferred the AR starts. Made the gameplay faster, more mobile and altogether more interesting.

Breakout just feels like a chore. it's not interesting. Gunplay feels less exciting because TTK is jarring. Maps are boring. Maybe I need to spend more time with it but it just feels like something I would hardly play. I love CSGO but that is entirely different.

I think SMG starts ruin the point of breakout.

Kibbles

This game really should only be played with a party of 4. Going solo is frustrating as hell when you go down -15+ on any loss just because you get matched up with the shittiest players on your team or AFKers

jem0208

I managed to play H5 with my friend for a few hours last night and every single game took many, many search attempts. Over those hours, we easily spent more time trying to find games than playing them. Our party was split or otherwise broken multiple times.

Additionally, I've been trying to find a game of Breakout (my first, mind you) for the past ten minutes and have gotten nowhere.

This game isn't as broken as Master Chief Collection, but it's pretty bad. I was in the early friends and family betas of both CoD4 and Halo 3 and even at their earliest stages with very low populations, they worked a damn sight better than this. As has any other AAA beta I've had.

I haven't seen as much chatter about it though - are others experiencing the same problems and just giving it a pass because it's a beta, or is my experience and the experience of the six other people in this lobby for the past five minutes an outlier?

I haven't ran into many problems. No more than I'd expect from a beta. A few failed searches and some hangups. Nothing major.

So. I actually preferred the AR starts. Made the gameplay faster, more mobile and altogether more interesting.

Breakout just feels like a chore. it's not interesting. Gunplay feels less exciting because TTK is jarring. Maps are boring. Maybe I need to spend more time with it but it just feels like something I would hardly play. I love CSGO but that is entirely different.

I agree... The movement was far more interesting with ARs, it's far too easy to shut everything down with BRs.

dwells

Another ten minutes since my last post, not a single game of Breakout. NAT is open, force quit and restarted the beta, no other connectivity issues, only other active device on my network is the phone I'm typing this on.

Crazy.

I think SMG starts ruin the point of breakout.

Think the addition of an objective would help? I've been playing with that idea.

Yup. SMG starts ruin breakout. The game should be about precision skill. That's what paintball is about right? Autos should go away.

Pistol starts only. No grenades. 1 br/dmr on both sides. Grenade hitmarkers are especially cheap on such small 1 life per round maps!!

Since the maps are inherently less interesting they should make it all about the precision skill.

Think the addition of an objective would help? I've been playing with that idea.

In theory it might but I'm almost certain it will end up being the same outcome. People will play it like slayer.

Csgo has the map design, gun economy, weapon behavior and gametype to support 1 life per round gameplay.

VinFTW

Joke post of the year over in that DF thread on gaming side:

After having tried the beta, just two days after playing CoD AW in some electronics store on an XB1, I have to say, it feels more like 343i is just recreating CoD and slapping Halo on it. TTK (Time To Kill) is ridiculously low. Heavy-weapon drops are still there in all their CoD fashion, thruster pack just like in AW and zoom-in for all weaponry etc. it just doesn't have the soul of Halo MP to me anymore and I just don't see that changing.

Also, they're saying that it's max 2-player locally in the full version. GTFO 343i. Bungie always respected Halo as a party thing even in Reach. Heck, they sacrificed the graphics heavily just to have 4-player at reasonable framerates. How hard can it be?

Halo is dead, I don't care. There's no creativity, it's all just aping what's popular which is completely counter to how Bungie handled their franchise.

Also, Josh Holmes confirmed the carbine is in the game on his Twitter, just not for Beta.

jem0208

Crossfire gud. Trench meh.

Trench is far too thin. Not enough room for interesting movement and flanking maneuvers. Crossfire has the opposite problem with it being a bit too open, certain positions give you massive visibility meaning being sneaky is a bit of a no-no.

I think I prefer Trench. Neither are great though IMO.

So, quick bandaid of a fix for now - peeps using Bumper Jumper, I know it's next to impossible to properly use Stabilizers, but it helps a bit if you have auto-stable on (you instantly stabilize when you aim down sights in the air), and then just cancel out of it with Thrusters if need be. You can also cancel out of Ground Pound doing that.

I'm pretty happy with H5G so far, it's just depressing to me that it's so close to being my dream game. My only real "needs" at this point are:

-get rid of sprint and increase base player speed to what the sprinting speed was

-can ground pound, slide, spartan charge

-figure out how to concurrently keep in crouch-jumping and stabilizers, possibly move crouch to a less essential button since it's not really quintessential to the gameplay

-if you HAVE to keep spartan charge and ground pound, make sure you can't initiate them on accident (e.g. trying to sprint-melee and charging in accident thanks to muscle memory). Thrust + Melee = spartan charge, Stabilizers + Melee = groundpound, etc.

-get rid of ADS on everything but the weapons that wouldn't traditionally have scopes (plasma pistol / smg / etc), and return to "dumbscope" options

-if Smart Scope HAS to stay for AR n' Friends, get rid of the focal blurring and tone down all the zoom and enhance FX. It just ends up bottlenecking viewpoint the way sprint bottlenecks movement.

-if Smart Scope HAS to stay for AR n' Friends, do not decrease movement speed while doing so.

-if Smart Scope HAS to stay for AR n' Friends, don't increase aim assist zoomed in or modify spread. Make it purely visual as promised.

...and that's pretty much it. I can tolerate a lot of the changes Halo's made over the years, but the ones I just listed are all I'd really need for it to be my favorite Halo multi in the franchise. There are other changes I'd *want*, mind you, but this is the first time in a long time I can actually count the changes I'd need for a new Halo to keep me happy on two hands. I'm 50/50 on headshot bonuses with automatics, but I think an advantage that could come with zooming in general on ARs and the like would be being able to counter snipers with them. AR/BR starts would also give you one smartscope weapon and one dumbscope weapon.

It's also blowing my mind just how many gameplay elements from CE are making a return for the first time ever (Combat Evolving weapons to you, centered crosshairs, etc.)

RowdyReverb

Trench is far too thin. Not enough room for interesting movement and flanking maneuvers. Crossfire has the opposite problem with it being a bit too open, certain positions give you massive visibility meaning being sneaky is a bit of a no-no.

I think I prefer Trench. Neither are great though IMO.
This is a pretty good assessment of the two maps. Also, I think it would look much better in higher resolutions. 720p does no favors for the Breakout art style and it makes distance player visibility poor. If they do end up doing dynamic 1080p, Breakout will surely be up there, right?

It's also blowing my mind just how many gameplay elements from CE are making a return for the first time ever (Combat Evolving weapons to you, centered crosshairs, etc.)
Is it mind-blowing.. or is it what some have been saying for years? It felt like we had no voice when Bungie was in charge, similar to what's going on with Sakurai and the Smash community ripping itself apart again over his views on competitive Smash. It continues to amaze me how similar these franchises are, albeit Smash's situation is more drawn out and under Nintendo's conservative umbrella of multiplayer gaming.

Next up: Save the Pistol, save Halo 5 starts.

Kibbles

Also my friends are randomly muted and I can't unmute them? Only option was to start a party chat but now we can't talk to the other guy

The hydra is the worst halo weapon.

I could see it being cool with a traditional scope, but as-is it's tricky as hell to use with ADS. Feels way too cumbersome, especially since you have to slow down while using ADS to get a lock.

Yeah, blue team on the night map is a bad, bad idea that really shouldn't have made it to the beta. Time to kill still seems too fast to me, spending more time exclusively playing the beta. And Breakout is interesting but not my style of Halo so I don't think I'd play it much.

Also, the Hydra is interesting but I'm not sure whether I feel it's powerful enough or underpowered. It feels to me like I don't really know if I'm going to kill someone with it, as opposed to traditional power weapons with less shots.

I'm telling ya guys, the Plasma Launcher does it better.
Maybe I just lament the lack of homing blue balls of death.

TTUVAPOR

Banned

Bones of the game is done...what does that mean? No removal of sprint, ADS, etc?

:(

DJ Gunner

Yeah, I highly doubt sprint and ADS are on the discussion table. They will tweak and twist the game around those elements and do whatever it takes to make them "viable". Key bullet points in every modern shooter, etc. etc.

At least we will have MCC!

:/

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Is it unrealistic though for 343 to make all the new features toggled?

And on top of that, I personally wouldn't want it limited to custom games, I'd love to see classic Halo playlists for matchmaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom