• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overdoziz

Banned
Yeah, but juices got silver so clearly the game is for casuals.

A big problem is that now all the maps have been designed for sprint and thruster and everything else. Meaning that classic settings with no sprint and other mobility options will make the maps play terribly because they'll all be huge.
who cares about sprint i want the br

Omni

Do we know if theatre mode is even in the game? I was just playing and realised that it's not in the beta. Surely if it were then they'd have put it in, right?

Yeah, but juices got silver so clearly the game is for casuals.

A big problem is that now all the maps have been designed for sprint and thruster and everything else. Meaning that classic settings with no sprint and other mobility options will make the maps play terribly because they'll all be huge.

This is why I prefer AR starts with the pistol. Halo 5 IMHO is more exciting and dynamic with something other than BR starts for once. I like CE for this reason. All the weapons had a decent use in the sandbox. Halo 2 actually had watered down gunplay due to it revolving around BR all the time (exception was button combos). Halo 3 was super bland compared to halo 2 competitively because of the maps and issues with the BR in that game.

Halo 5 has given us a great competetive game (so far) without resorting to watering down the sandbox. IMO this means it's initial design is far better than what bungie did with Halo 2 onward. Bungie didn't want BR starts but it played horribly without it.

TLDR; the other Halo games played better without the default starts (and watered down sandbox), but Halo 5 is proving to break away from that trend. This is a good thing.

DJ Gunner

Sucks to be them. There is absolutely no reason to default to "them." However, giving AR/BR starts allows them to have their AR and those who want BR can have it as well. AR is viable in this game, don't act like it isn't.

By your logic you may as well remove BR/DMR/LR from maps too to keep these people happy.

I'm not "acting" like anything as I haven't played the beta, and won't because of the MCC debacle. However the core argument has remained the same since the dawn of Halo. Your problem along with many others here is that you don't acknowledge "them" as a significant part of the Halo popluation. I've got a good number of friends who don't post on message boards about Halo but love the game and have bought every release. They prefer default Halo settings over anything else as they aren't proficient with precision weapons. That, whether you like it or not, is a significant market that has existed since the first installment of the game.

Before anyone accuses me of being a "filthy casual" I abhor AR starts and think radar is awful. I just acknowledge that my preferred way of playing the game doesn't apply to every hardcore Halo fan out there because I know plenty in real life just like that.

Madness

The ranking system would need to be perfect in terms of matching within the same division for this to work.

If it did, then that could work. AR and radar starts for your placement matches and if you are in Iron and Bronze, then BR starts for Silver, than no radar for Gold and up.

Forget that. Just because you aren't good enough to be ranked higher, shouldn't mean you get stuck playing babbys first Halo.

I'm shit, I'm not as good as I was, I have worse eyesight, it's hard for me to see things clearer for headshots, and even I don't want AR starts. It's not about skill or not landing headshots with the BR. It's that the AR is a low skill weapon where you barely aim, just hold down the trigger and bam. With ADS, it's never been easier. Same for SMG.

BR starts will probably be worse for me, and I'll get my ass donged on, but at least I'll have a capable weapon, one that can help me teamshoot or be able to handle multiple situations, especially if I go down a man. Don't know why so many like AR starts. Where's the fun in the spray/pray game play? With killcams, you can easily see how many are just waiting scoped with an AR because of how powerful it makes the gun.

RowdyReverb

Sucks to be them. There is absolutely no reason to default to "them." However, giving AR/BR starts allows them to have their AR and those who want BR can have it as well. AR is viable in this game, don't act like it isn't.
I think 343 will aim to please "them" around launch, but shift towards pleasing "us" after "they" lose interest and move on to the next game. Much like Halo 4, come to think of it.

Omni

I'm getting absolutely rekt in some of these games.

I feel like I'm going up against a lot of parties. Randoms are never this coordinated :|

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Pro tips for Eden:

http://xboxclips.com/TJ+Ram/8e9910f0-ccfa-431d-ace2-ce817cfae31e

You can also shoot the light on the outside cover to drop it and two tall covers come out on each base side.

hBAMObu.gif

wwm0nkey

As much as I like the MCC and H5 if it wasn't for Phantom Dust, whatever that new Rare game is and CrackDown 3 I think I would have sold this machine. Why the fuck do I have to hard reset for MM to work again sometimes? Not limited to Halo and it's annoying, every time I turn this thing on and hit this error or the weird glitch home screen I feel like I'm beta testing this thing.

I hope the Windows 10 update to the One's OS is a massive improvement.

IHaveIce

Banned
Also I'm higher ranked than Juices and I play solo for the most time, ranking system has to be broken.

I really hope they don't go back to AR starts like some idiots want them to do.

I like the game, hopefully the big team variants aren't too crazy and the campaign is more open than Halo 4, then I'm sold and believe this could be the best Halo game for a long time

jem0208

Why not do what they always did...

Have normal Slayer with AR and pistol starts. Then have slayer pro with BR and pistol starts.

That way both sides get what they want

tootsi666

[tweet] https://twitter.com/DMC_Ryan/status/551603665304166401 [/tweet]

Ryan is gonna casual-ize Halo 5
Ranked Team Slayer

RANKED Team Slayer

RANKED Team Slayer

Competive game modes are supposed to be competive. BR starts are (with current sandbox) more competive than AR starts.

IHaveIce

Banned
Why not do what they always did...

Have normal Slayer with AR and pistol starts. Then have slayer pro with BR and pistol starts.

No. point ends.

I don't even have the power to argue it, if I recall it correctly especially you had this discussion more than once in the last months.

There were enough arguments, when people still think AR > BR starts, then you are just wrong. It is not about taste.

The best alternative would be BR/AR starts but then pistol users cry.

I say do BR/AR starts and put the pistol as focus in breakout, remove the BR from breakout and buff the pistol

jem0208

No. point ends.

I don't even have the power to argue it, if I recall it correctly especially you had this discussion more than once in the last months.

There were enough arguments, when people still think AR > BR starts, then you are just wrong. It is not about taste.

The best alternative would be BR/AR starts but then pistol users cry.

I say do BR/AR starts and put the pistol as focus in breakout, remove the BR from breakout and buff the pistol

What?

I think they should just have two playlists Slayer and Slayer Pro. That way you're never forced to play something you don't want to.

tootsi666

What?

I think they should just have two playlists Slayer and Slayer Pro. That way you're never forced to play something you don't want to.
Yes, two playlists. Team Slayer and Ranked Team Slayer.

I secretly hope they cut Ranked Team Slayer altogether. Just one 4v4 Ranked playlist with multiple gamemodes.

IHaveIce

Banned
What?

Team Slayer pro always alienates the most players because of the "pro" subtitle, and usually Pro also has no radar and stuff.

I just want the core game to be played with a BR.

Also if Social Slayer has AR start gametypes then bring the VETO system back, so if one map was vetoed a BR start variant will be chosen

jem0208

Team Slayer pro always alienates the most players because of the "pro" subtitle, and usually Pro also has no radar and stuff.

I just want the core game to be played with a BR.

Also if Social Slayer has AR start gametypes then bring the VETO system back, so if one map was vetoed a BR start variant will be chosen

Alright, how about just Team Slayer ARs and Team Slayer BRs. Both can be ranked. No alienation through "pro" no lack of radar.

The ceiling is real.

http://www.xboxdvr.com/Der Flatulator6/ec65a389-c02c-4389-b6d1-c31057b79a47

That and I'm terrible.

Opinions on the beta are mostly positive.

- Kill times feel just a little on the short side.
- The UX when you trade kills can be confusing as it jumps to killcam and you're not sure if you actually got the kill until you check the feed later.
- They also need to add a cooldownn timer to the HUD for thruster. No use just mashing the button hoping you'll evade in the middle of a firefight.

jem0208

The ceiling is real.

http://www.xboxdvr.com/Der Flatulator6/ec65a389-c02c-4389-b6d1-c31057b79a47

That and I'm terrible.

Opinions on the beta are mostly positive.

- Kill times feel just a little on the short side.
- The UX when you trade kills can be confusing as it jumps to killcam and you're not sure if you actually got the kill until you check the feed later.
- They also need to add a cooldownn timer to the HUD for thruster. No use just mashing the button hoping you'll evade in the middle of a firefight.

There kinda is a timer. When you thrust a little red triangle appears in the top right. When that disappears you can thrust again.

Side note: when do we start voting/arguing about what the next OT title should be?

Also it should totally be |OT 23|...

Fuchsdh

Also it should totally be |OT 23|...

Indeed. End the OT retcons :)

Interestingly enough I haven't felt like I needed a cooldown for the thruster. You have so many other movement options that I end up using it with a sort of cadence. The game definitely works best when you feel like you're stringing together traversal moves gracefully; in that respect it actually reminds me a bit of Sunset Overdrive.

jem0208

Alright, I'm firmly in the AR starts camp now. They're just so much better than BR starts. Before I was constantly using all the weapons. Now it's the BR and occassionally the SMG.

It's also far harder to move effectively with BR starts. Any movement can be shut down straight away from across the map. With the maps being so open it just isn't fun.

m23

Alright, I'm firmly in the AR starts camp now. They're just so much better than BR starts. Before I was constantly using all the weapons. Now it's the BR and occassionally the SMG.

It's also far harder to move effectively with BR starts. Any movement can be shut down straight away from across the map. With the maps being so open it just isn't fun.

Really? BR starts makes this game so much better. I'm not dying to a bunch of kids spraying ARs randomly. I'm losing against people who are actually out BR'ing me. It's so much more satisfying to win matches now, the competition is so damn intense.

I still pick up other weapons when I have a chance such as SMG, but even pistol I make use of at times. Don't have time to reload? Pull out pistol to finish the kill.

Tawpgun

Really? BR starts makes this game so much better. I'm not dying to a bunch of kids spraying ARs randomly. I'm losing against people who are actually out BR'ing me. It's so much more satisfying to win matches now, the competition is so damn intense.

I still pick up other weapons when I have a chance such as SMG, but even pistol I make use of at times. Don't have time to reload? Pull out pistol to finish the kill.

This. I don't feel that "that was fuckin bullshit how did he kill me" and the lack of auto aim means out bring is really prevelant. Skill wins.

The only weapon I don't pick up is the AR lol. Br, pistol, light rifle, DMR, and the power weapons all get their use.

The variety argument is so lost on me. I'd rather have more fun with 1-2 weapons than a mediocre experience with 5

I just hope we get a way to play br starts at launch without having to resort to a pro playlist

VinFTW

Should have been AR/BR starts years ago so this silly argument could die in a fire.

Hire Juices.

This is probably the best scenario, but then you would need to make the pistol much better. Increased range, auto aim, 5sk and have it as a pick up on the map w/ a better smart scope.

IMO, the pistol should be buffed anyways. It would make Breakout way better. No autos, buffed pistol only and one BR on each side with no grenades off start (pickup in middle).

I fear this is too much work though :/ Pistol would probably go bye bye if we had BR/AR starts.

This gif is mesmerizing.

EDIT: Though I'm not going to say whether AR or BR starts is better, I definitely try to utilize the sandbox more with AR starts, than BR starts, which you kind of see an emerging meta game almost, where you see players start to fulfill differing roles on the team based on the weapon they had, which I've never really seen in any other halo before.

But BR starts is nice because you immediately have a precision weapon, and it's fucking embarrassing to die by an AR rather than a BR.

This gif is mesmerizing.

EDIT: Though I'm not going to say whether AR or BR starts is better, I definitely try to utilize the sandbox more with AR starts, than BR starts, which you kind of see an emerging meta game almost, where you see players start to fulfill differing roles on the team barf on the weapon they had, which I've never really seen in any other halo before.

But BR starts is nice because you immediately have a precision weapon, and it's fucking embarrassing to die by an AR rather than a BR.

I can't help but feel like this attitude is a bigger part of the problem people have with H5 AR starts than they let on. It's definitely embarrassing to get AR'd down in CE-4, but 5's AR is an actual gun, with an actual place in the sandbox, rather than a vestigial appendage of the BR. No shame if you get wrecked at close/mid range by a weapon designed to be strong at close/mid range.

I can't help but feel like this attitude is a bigger part of the problem people have with H5 AR starts than they let on. It's definitely embarrassing to get AR'd down in CE-4, but 5's AR is an actual gun, with an actual place in the sandbox, rather than a vestigial appendage of the BR. No shame if you get wrecked at close/mid range by a weapon designed to be strong at close/mid range.
It's just a product of a stigma that's been going for over ten years,which is that the AR didn't really take skill to use, which is true for the most part. It's like the enemy didn't put any effort into killing you and that is why it infuriates me.

Deception

I think BR/AR starts make the most sense and make both sides happy. Want a good close-mid range weapon? Use the AR. Want a weapon effective but no dominating at all ranges? Use the BR. Just make the pistol 3-4sk, increase range and make it an on map pick up. And make breakout have shield with no shield recharge so once you lose your shield it doesn't recharge. This way nades have a more tactical use and the core gameplay stays intact. This would also help with lucky hail mary kills in the beginning of matches. Anyone agree?

SalientOne

Internet Batman
Cross-posting from the gaming side...

this is pre-release software and it's going to be riddled with bugs, errors, and generally odd design decisions (that generally aren't design decisions at all, but rather incomplete progress)

I'll just drop in here and say that Septic is right to be annoyed by some of these issues, they are genuinely frustrating. And you are also right Poodle that this is pre-release software and not even close to the final UX and online experience for the game. It's a result of packaging things up for beta so early in development, far earlier than any past Halo game.

There were a lot of tradeoffs that had to be made to get the beta out this early. Obvious things like the inability to back out that may seem easy to fix are actually stop-gaps to prevent worse bugs that still exist at this early stage in development. These issues will be addressed, but not during the beta timeframe.

Your patience is appreciated and it's been great to see so many people having fun with the beta despite all the rough edges. Thanks for the feedback and support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom