• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just a product of a stigma that's been going for over ten years,which is that the AR didn't really take skill to use, which is true for the most part. It's like the enemy didn't put any effort into killing you and that is why it infuriates me.

I feel like what with all the mobility options you've got in 5, the only way for someone to kill you without putting in any effort is if a) you (general case you) put no effort into dodging or evading them, or if they straight-up get the drop on you in a situation with 0 opportunities to escape or evade, which frankly is tougher than it sounds.

Get on for a game before AGDQ, match made with a fresh guy, check record, 0-16, 3 minutes later he was 0-9, we lost 23-50, should have backed out in the lobby.
2nd game, lead 25-18, a guy went AFK mid game, lost 48-50, dumped 40 points for those two
FUCK THIS GAME I'LL BE STUCK IN IRON FOREVER

VinFTW

Your patience is appreciated and it's been great to see so many people having fun with the beta despite all the rough edges. Thanks for the feedback and support.

It's not as frustrating as you think. :p

I am, genuinely, surprised that a game this far out is so polished though (small things aside).

here's hoping for Arena Beta 2/BTB Beta 1 in the summer :p

Madness

I wonder what the release of the beta has done for the team at 343. What kind of metrics are they watching, what did they hope to learn/achieve with such a wide release etc.

I think they'll be heartened by the fact so many consider it fun and the best Halo since 3, but I'm curious as to what exactly they're taking away from this, ie. Heatmaps of map kills, what weapons are used, what people are being ranked, etc. I'm sure they've gotten tons of feedback regarding bugs/glitches, criticism/praise over design decisions.

I wonder what the release of the beta has done for the team at 343. What kind of metrics are they watching, what did they hope to learn/achieve with such a wide release etc.

I think they'll be heartened by the fact so many consider it fun and the best Halo since 3, but I'm curious as to what exactly they're taking away from this, ie. Heatmaps of map kills, what weapons are used, what people are being ranked, etc. I'm sure they've gotten tons of feedback regarding bugs/glitches, criticism/praise over design decisions.
The effort and polish they poured into the beta definitely shows and I think the community has in return gave them a lot of positive and constructive feedback.
Now MCC...

CliQ

My ideal Halo 5 would be AR / Pistol starts. Increase the damage of the pistol to a five shot, increase its range, and make the BR a pickup. That would allow for a more dynamic match.

As for breakout make it pistols only with no grenades at start and place grenades on the map like it currently is. This would make it more like the paintball feel they are going for.

I get that I will be a minority here but I feel like that's where Halo 5 needs to go so that players of all skill levels will enjoy the game.

BTB is a different topic that I don't want to talk about because I haven't seen anything on it.

DeadNames

Banned
Get on for a game before AGDQ, match made with a fresh guy, check record, 0-16, 3 minutes later he was 0-9, we lost 23-50, should have backed out in the lobby.
2nd game, lead 25-18, a guy went AFK mid game, lost 48-50, dumped 40 points for those two
FUCK THIS GAME I'LL BE STUCK IN IRON FOREVER

I feel you. Although I've been donging kids lately so I guess it gets better.

Who here was a 50 in team snipers?

Glass

I'd love to see a 2nd series of The Sprint, and have the focus of at least one episode be the beta, with the team interpreting the player feedback and metric feedback.

CyReN

I just hope they aren't stubborn like they have been towards sprint with other areas of the game. Game isn't bad from what I've played from the beta, just hope feedback is incorporated.

-----
I'd be fine with BR/AR start.

This is why I prefer AR starts with the pistol. Halo 5 IMHO is more exciting and dynamic with something other than BR starts for once. I like CE for this reason. All the weapons had a decent use in the sandbox. Halo 2 actually had watered down gunplay due to it revolving around BR all the time (exception was button combos). Halo 3 was super bland compared to halo 2 competitively because of the maps and issues with the BR in that game.

Halo 5 has given us a great competetive game (so far) without resorting to watering down the sandbox. IMO this means it's initial design is far better than what bungie did with Halo 2 onward. Bungie didn't want BR starts but it played horribly without it.

TLDR; the other Halo games played better without the default starts (and watered down sandbox), but Halo 5 is proving to break away from that trend. This is a good thing.

To criticise BR starts in H2 and H3 then hold up CE as a bastion of a rounded useful sandbox is laughable. The notion of every weapon being useful in CE when compared to the later sandbox's is a tired myth. Go watch Ogre 2 gameplay VOD's from 2003. Guy doesn't touch shit except snipe, rockets and occasionally shotgun, and you'd pick all those up in H2 and 3. On the rare occasion I see someone use the AR in CE for actually shooting instead of activating a glitch they get annihilated by the magnum.

I have to say AR starts are more tolerable in H5 because of the smart scope. Ar (or SMG) starts are instant quit worthy in H2 and 3. BR starts are still vastly superior in H5 however. I'll support Funknown's anti-radar campaign with more lustre than any of the previous games because the AR is strong in H5, so strong that getting the 'jump' on somebody is almost a guaranteed kill within a certain distance. Because of this, crouch walking has become an even more effective tactic than it already was in prior games and the playerbase knows it. At least a third of the killcams I've seen in the AR starts beta showed the opponent crouch walking. It was ultimately harmful to map movement. BR starts have shown significantly less crouch walking in my experience.

Oh and for the first time ever, I'm picking up an SMG or AR as a secondary, even when spawning with a BR. So BR starts are not annulling the sandbox like some are claiming.

People talk about sandbox variety as if variety is inherently interesting. If you offered me a sandbox based on five different automatics or one precision weapon, I'd take the precision weapon. It's not really about the relative strength of the AR to the BR, it's about how compelling the gameplay is that those weapons produce.

Cross-posting from other thread again.
An interesting thing about the ranking system, two of my friends finished their placements last night. One won 9/10 games and was placed in Silver 2. The other won 8/10 and was placed very high in Gold 3. Not sure what happened there, he had a worse K/D.

Like I've said here before you don't need to be good to reach a high rank than other ppl.
You can have a negative k/d ratio and yet be a top tier rank, which is b'cuz your team has to carry you almost every game.

Cross-posting from other thread again.

Like I've said here before you don't need to be good to reach a high rank than other ppl.
You can have a negative k/d ratio and yet be a top tier rank, which is b'cuz your team has to carry you almost every game.

Yeah the current system is more about who you are playing with instead of how well you play, unless you are a beast and hard carries every game, it's great as a team focus game and if you have friends to play with but for average players solo qing it often ends up with nightmares.

What the hell happened to the framerate in H3+H4 since maybe a month ago? Went from pretty good 50s to extreme 20s when playing today. What the fuck?

EDIT: MCC

antigoon

I think the most realistic compromise that we can hope for is AR/Pistol starts in all gametypes, with improved range and damage for the Pistol. It's just too weak right now.

If the weapons are kept as-is, I would strongly prefer BR starts.

DeadNames

Banned
I'd like to see a range buff for the pistol, because the TTK on that bad boy is really short if you can land your shots. The sights for it do it no justice either.

Ramirez

I find the BR to be an unreliable mess in this game, can't overstate how much I prefer the DMR.

Gotta be honest too, I got completely used to the AR/Pistol starts on the other two maps and had fun. The pistol needs a slight buff, BUT, I think AR/Pistol on Eden would be terrible. I'm also a little indifferent, because like I said, I find the BR really inconsistent and not that fun to use in this game.

Talents

Banned
Hey guys! Deadnames just reminded me of this OT. How's everyone doing? Halo still shit? Thought so. K bye.

Halo 3 best Halo

VinFTW

So done arguing about the ranking system on gaming side lol...

Let's just have radar as-is, individual performance ranks, and AR starts.

That'll save Halo.

I love BR starts, but I wouldn't HATE a buffed pistol/AR starts. Buffed pistol will help w/ Breakout too.

My ideal Halo 5 would be AR / Pistol starts. Increase the damage of the pistol to a five shot, increase its range, and make the BR a pickup. That would allow for a more dynamic match.

As for breakout make it pistols only with no grenades at start and place grenades on the map like it currently is. This would make it more like the paintball feel they are going for.

I get that I will be a minority here but I feel like that's where Halo 5 needs to go so that players of all skill levels will enjoy the game.

BTB is a different topic that I don't want to talk about because I haven't seen anything on it.

I agree. If BR starts become the staple then they are either pandering to the BR only crowd or they failed to create a sandbox where the pistol and AR have a proper and desirable place.

BR starts are fun and all, but with all the movement options, the ability to do more damage with the AR by aiming at the head, descoping an AR, less auto assist ETC... it's just innately a more skilful game with the AR.

Pistol needs that slight buff and AR could suffer a slight nerf when not in ADS.

Tawpgun

gawd damn you're a scrub ass babby

The pipe comes up allowing for multiple jump/clamber routes that are otherwise impossible.

oooooooohhhhhh

Its fuckin dark.

343 art team seems to have no concept of how to make the map pretty while still making it helpful for gameplay.

Ramirez

oooooooohhhhhh

Its fuckin dark.

343 art team seems to have no concept of how to make the map pretty while still making it helpful for gameplay.

There's a lot of unnecessary effects, but other than Regret, I feel like these maps are light years ahead of Halo 4's stuff, specifically with base color coding. Haven for example was awful for callouts, ruined the map.

So done arguing about the ranking system on gaming side lol...

Let's just have radar as-is, individual performance ranks, and AR starts.

That'll save Halo.

I love BR starts, but I wouldn't HATE a buffed pistol/AR starts. Buffed pistol will help w/ Breakout too.

I won't mind having Pistol only start in Breakout.
It helps me winning fights too cuz my lag kills me in SMG fights

tootsi666

I agree. If BR starts become the staple then they are either pandering to the BR only crowd or they failed to create a sandbox where the pistol and AR have a proper and desirable place.

BR starts are fun and all, but with all the movement options, the ability to do more damage with the AR by aiming at the head, descoping an AR, less auto assist ETC... it's just innately a more skilful game with the AR.

Pistol needs that slight buff and AR could suffer a slight nerf when not in ADS.
I agree that Pistol needs a buff, but how is AR more skillful? Extra headshot damage is ridiculous on a RNG gun.

Tawpgun

There's a lot of unnecessary effects, but other than Regret, I feel like these maps are light years ahead of Halo 4's stuff, specifically with base color coding. Haven for example was awful for callouts, ruined the map.

Yeah Empire was ok. I just hated how some parts were crazy bright and some parts were dark. Not easy on the eyes.

Truth bases were perfect, but that haze should go away and they need to color code each side differently. Pink tower isn't even pink smh.

EDEN is dark and dunno how no one mentioned "umm why does blue team blend in so well...." Or maybe they did but art team was all "Nah but its prettier this way"

Blackout was a night time map that was fine . Model lighting after that.

Regret I have no idea whats going on. Still getting used to the layout

Yeah Empire was ok. I just hated how some parts were crazy bright and some parts were dark. Not easy on the eyes.

Truth bases were perfect, but that haze should go away and they need to color code each side differently. Pink tower isn't even pink smh.

EDEN is dark and dunno how no one mentioned "umm why does blue team blend in so well...." Or maybe they did but art team was all "Nah but its prettier this way"

Blackout was a night time map that was fine . Model lighting after that.

Regret I have no idea whats going on. Still getting used to the layout
A LOT of ppl complained, actually I even think Blue is favored on both Regret and Eden.

Ramirez

Regret takes some time to get used to, and initially I thought it was shit. After playing on it more though, I know call outs and where I'm at almost instantly aside from the base colors. Might I suggest one side get some type of water falling off of it, so that one side can be dry, and the other wet? Or maybe have one side more rotted out than the other visually, gotta do something to differentiate them better.

Tawpgun

qLgmjXr.png

wtf. This is like on par with the people that said AR starts was more skillful in Halo 3 because you needed to fight for the BR's or the people that say radar takes more skill because of stealth tactics.

VinFTW

I'm gonna be doing some drinking tonight, anybody want to fuck around on Breakout or TS?

no one wants to lose rank b/c some drunk asshole :p I swear I'm better drunk though..

Edit: To add to what Tawp is saying above me: How is an automatic rifle on a console shooter w/ aim assist skillful at all? I think BR/AR starts should be the norm and buff the pistol...

Also, take a look here:

http://youtu.be/D-IzTz5Gr1U?t=2m22s

Pause it at where this starts. What do you see? A pistol shaped power weapon perhaps?! Hmmmmm.

Hope I'm not missing something stupid

Tawpgun

Also lol at the arguement of no one picking up anything else with BR starts in Halo 5. Halo 5 sandbox is the best its been in a long time.

With AR starts I always dump the AR for the first precision rifle I see.

With BR starts I switch out my pistol for an AR or SMG if I want a safe and easy weapon to get kills with in close range.

Karl2177

Why am I being penalized more for having quitters on my team and losing than I am rewarded for beating an opponent with a higher rank? It's not my fault that the system you use to match people fucked me over. I'm chalking this system up as "slightly better than Reach Arena season 1".

qLgmjXr.png

wtf. This is like on par with the people that said AR starts was more skillful in Halo 3 because you needed to fight for the BR's or the people that say radar takes more skill because of stealth tactics.

No no this is all a misunderstanding. I mean AR starts are innately more skilful in halo 5 compared to previous iterations with AR starts.

Less aim assist, way more movement options, descoping autos...I'm just saying that AR starts are WAY less offensive than in previous games. I want them to have a viable place. I like the rush for BR's.

LOL that was a funny misunderstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom