• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl2177

I only got into 2 matches today, but one of them was Pistols No Radar on Battle Creek. If it wasn't laggy, I would have enjoyed that match so much more. Nonetheless, it did feel good grabbing the camo and 4 and 5 shotting kids.

RoKKeR

Patch has made no visible improvements in handling parties, matchmaking, anything.

The fact that you can't even back out of a fucking Matchmaking search as the party leader while staying together is bullshit.

So if anyone from that customs game on Blood Gulch could send me an invite, that would be awesome. I got stuck on a black screen and had to restart the game.

EDIT: Can't join customs in progress? Lolwat

So if anyone from that customs game on Blood Gulch could send me an invite, that would be awesome. I got stuck on a black screen and had to restart the game.

EDIT: Can't join customs in progress? Lolwat

That's another annoying quirk. You have always been able to do that...as far back as Halo 1 PC if I recall...maybe Halo 1 xbox.

The Flash

Banned
Frankie please. I want to play your game. Let me play your game.

Edit:

"You are not connected to Xbox LIVE and cannot access this feature"

Oh well that's news to me! I wonder how I was able to check my download speed five seconds ago! :mad:

GrizzNKev

Banned
It's been working pretty well for me, I played a good few games with my brother like I wanted to since this was announced. Dream come true.

Omni

Whoa. The latency in this custom game is ridiculous. Getting shot through walls, grenades appear a second after throwing them...

Eh

Booshka

Hey Halo 2 experts, am I going to need to be proficient at the button combos to be competitive? I'm not really liking them that much, but wondering if i'm going to need them at some point.

BXB and BXR are the only real important ones. Double shot isnt worth the risk most of the time, and having a solid 4-5 shot is more important to focus on. Just work on your map movement, jumps, and get a good shot. BXB to double melee faster, and utilize jumping melees and crouched melees for more damage and to evade other melees. BXR is worth learning, and good players will melt you with it, but you dont have to know it.

Aiming, good nades, and player movement/strafe is more important overall.

RoKKeR

Halo 2 Anniversary.

Ricochet.

Shrine.

2v2.

Silenced SMG Starts.

No map weapon pickups.

So damn good. This is actually an amazing game type with so much strategy. Never played it in Halo 4 but damn, so good.

Nirvana

I wanna slapbox all of Bungie for creating Sniper's alley in Halo 2. Who thought this shit was fun?

Sniper Alley isn't as bad as the one on Delta Halo. Or as bad as Regret. Or some parts of the Arbiter where your Camo stops working too soon. Or the start of Gravemind. Or the Scarab on Metropolis. Or the Banshee part on the Great Journey.

Prepare your butt for the rest of the game!

Omni

Finished Halo 3. If the series had just ended there everything would have been great.

But now I gotta play Halo 4 and be disappointed all over again

Nirvana

Finished Halo 3. If the series had just ended there everything would have been great.

But now I gotta play Halo 4 and be disappointed all over again

Halo 3 campaign was awful imo. Terrible final level with no enemy variety, token death of a few main characters for emotional effect more than anything else and a random boss fight that made no sense and was essentially pointless. The rest of the campaign was waaay too vehicle heavy for me (which I appreciate others love) but in campaign it bores me, because you are essentially doing the same thing for 20 minutes, especially in tank sections. The story was underwhelming, apart from Truth's death, we got no real closure on Gravemind since he just died in time-honoured classic style of a convenient explosion that wipes out all(?) the flood (wink, wink, the end??) and the truce between the Covenant and the UNSC was barely discussed save a few minor moments in cutscenes.

Also no hunter helping me in campaign? No grunts on my side either? Surely players aren't so stupid that it would be 'too confusing' to do this. Would have made much more sense and would have made for some interesting large scale battles with NPCs.

Edit: Also the ENTIRE level of Cortana on Legendary. MY GOD.

Overall I thought it was actually worse than Halo 4, which I thought followed through on the story 343 promised pretty well (humanising Chief etc.) and the gameplay was fun, with some great legendary engagements. Although the variety in enemies and environments was pretty bad, the knights were a decent enough challenge for it not to be really boring.

Omni

Wait, why do you have to if you don't like it so much?

Oh I don't. Just for completion purposes :p

It would bother me too much to see the other campaigns marked off as completed in the main menu but H4's as not. Besides, the story isn't bad. I like it. Just the level design and gameplay in the second half of the game that is a chore.

Omni

Edit. Double post ooops
Halo 3 campaign was awful imo. Terrible final level with no enemy variety, token death of a few main characters for emotional effect more than anything else and a random boss fight that made no sense and was essentially pointless. The rest of the campaign was waaay too vehicle heavy for me (which I appreciate others love) but in campaign it bores me, because you are essentially doing the same thing for 20 minutes, especially in tank sections. The story was underwhelming, apart from Truth's death, we got no real closure on Gravemind since he just died in time-honoured classic style of a convenient explosion that wipes out all(?) the flood (wink, wink, the end??) and the truce between the Covenant and the UNSC was barely discussed save a few minor moments in cutscenes.

Also no hunter helping me in campaign? No grunts on my side either? Surely players aren't so stupid that it would be 'too confusing' to do this. Would have made much more sense and would have made for some interesting large scale battles with NPCs.

Edit: Also the ENTIRE level of Cortana on Legendary. MY GOD.

Overall I thought it was actually worse than Halo 4, which I thought followed through on the story 343 promised pretty well (humanising Chief etc.) and the gameplay was fun, with some great legendary engagements. Although the variety in enemies and environments was pretty bad, the knights were a decent enough challenge for it not to be really boring.
image.php

I couldn't disagree more. Like wow. The Warthog run at the end was amazing. I have had more fun in that section with friends than I did the entire Halo 4 campaign. (Okay, I only got half way through H4's campaign co-op because we got bored. But still).

Sure, you have Cortana... I understand that a lot of people don't like it (personally, I do. It's fun chaos). But you also have The Arc, The Covenant, Halo and Tsavo Highway that are light years beyond anything we got in Halo 4. But then again I'm not sure how anyone could hate the vehicle parts /shrugs

So Frank changed his Clan tag in MCC to Awfully Sorry. Makes me sad, We bitch and moan but don't stop to think that a decent number of Devs from various companies actually put so much work and time and devotion into this and because it's had a bad launch they have been called worse than shit for the past few days.

Sure we feel like we got screwed for spending money for this but I doubt they wanted a game to launch in this state.

:(

MouldyK

I had a random thought just now.

What if instead of releasing Halo MCC all at once, they just released H2A on November the 11th as a downloadable title (still $60, or even $45 to get people in early, raising the price by $5 each time it gets a new game added), then released the others for free when the devs were actually done polishing the games. Then when the games are actually done, release at retail.

Because i'm sure Ruffian and Saber coulda done better with the framerate of Halo 4 and Halo 1 respectively if they just just started once they had finished with Halo 3 and 2.

It might have also meant that some of these server problems would have been found out in November and be fixed by the time the collection is out at retail.

All in all, i'm blaming the fact 343i came up with the Collection idea too late in the day to actually get it done in November without hitches.

...And then imagine in June 2015 when Dan Ayoub comes on stage and is like "Thanks to all those who bought the combined collection of Halo on the Xbox One, which was released in parts over the 6 months without any problems. Now we are here to announce that Halo 5 will also be integrated into the UI aswell this November...right after Halo Reach, which will reach you by August 2015 and ODST, which drops onto your Hard-Drive RIGHT NOW!...along with Halo Wars 2: Chief's Revenge."

Omni

Halo 4 on Xbox 360:
dmwTAd.gif

and
Halo 4 on Xbox One (30 second clip. Same puddle)

That's... a disappointment. It's essentially Halo 2 quality water with a slightly better shader now. Why would they have to downgrade anything? Makes me wonder what else they did. Lighting looks a bit more sterile, perhaps. Though that could just be the Xbone and its weird colour output. But then you still have stuff like this when things load in (30 second clip. Exactly as it happened) and frequent dips below what seem 30 in regular gameplay. This whole game is a mess.

MouldyK

Halo 4 on Xbox 360:
dmwTAd.gif

and

That's... a disappointment. It's essentially Halo 2 quality water with a slightly better shader now. Why would they have to downgrade anything? Makes me wonder what else they did. Lighting looks a bit more sterile, perhaps. Though that could just be the Xbone and its weird colour output. But then you still have stuff like this when things load in (30 second clip. Exactly as it happened) and frequent dips below what seem 30 in regular gameplay. This whole game is a mess.

Well we all know how Ruffian did when they were given 15 months to remake another game and fucked it up so much they made a game which looked the same, but had other weird things in, so Microsoft were forced to call it a sequel...

Cover-CD2.jpg

Was still pretty fun, but coulda been better...

jem0208

Halo 4 on Xbox 360:
dmwTAd.gif

and

Whore.

That is weird though.

Madness

I had a random thought just now.

What if instead of releasing Halo MCC all at once, they just released H2A on November the 11th as a downloadable title (still $60, or even $45 to get people in early, raising the price by $5 each time it gets a new game added), then released the others for free when the devs were actually done polishing the games. Then when the games are actually done, release at retail.

Because i'm sure Ruffian and Saber coulda done better with the framerate of Halo 4 and Halo 1 respectively if they just just started once they had finished with Halo 3 and 2.

It might have also meant that some of these server problems would have been found out in November and be fixed by the time the collection is out at retail.

All in all, i'm blaming the fact 343i came up with the Collection idea too late in the day to actually get it done in November without hitches.

...And then imagine in June 2015 when Dan Ayoub comes on stage and is like "Thanks to all those who bought the combined collection of Halo on the Xbox One, which was released in parts over the 6 months without any problems. Now we are here to announce that Halo 5 will also be integrated into the UI aswell this November...right after Halo Reach, which will reach you by August 2015 and ODST, which drops onto your Hard-Drive RIGHT NOW!...along with Halo Wars 2: Chief's Revenge."

I think wanting all 4 games in one was something that was considered for a long time. Even the Ntkrnl leak had pegged the release for November 11th, essentially what 9-10 months from actual launch. He also said all the games would be part of some war chest, so it's obvious this collection has been designed for a long time.

I think it's more that it just became too ambitious. A unified menu when the games play and run so differently. The game definitely came in hot as evidenced by the large day one patch, the omission of certain games like CE, ranks, only getting dedicated servers for matchmaking and not customs or campaign.

What they could've done is delay release. I'm sure all of us here would rather have the game delayed to the end of November giving them 2-3 weeks more to get kinks worked out. But nope, November 11th became the hard target stuck in stone, and now we're going almost a week or or two before any real remedies to these problems waiting for the next CU patch is out.

Either way, what's done is done. Maybe devs can learn from this and realize just how difficult it can be getting several different studios all doing their own thing and then making sure it runs without a high.

-Ryn

Banned
Welcome back shitlord

<3

Xbone tomorrow.
Halo, hopefully, Tomorrow.

Hello, Halogaf! I may have been drinking a little bit, but I wanted to air out some distaste I have -

Kids saying "You are not a true halo fan if" "You are not a true halo player if" "You are not a" --- All of that shit.
That shit needs to just, cut it. Now.
We all come from different walks of life, right? Not everyone is a BxR Pro, not everyone gives a shit about MLG settings, not everyone cares for CTF or Slayer or Rumble pit (or everything or anything or specific things) - Some are Reach warriors. Some loved H4. Some are CE purists. Etc.
We're all here for Halo. We're all here for MC. Play your own shit. Don't give grief over change, and don't tell people they aren't true players because they like something you don't like.
Especially if you're judging Halo 5 by some youtube videos. Like seriously, play the fucking game, then complain about what you don't like.
Right? Right. Rightio.

Looooooove you!
Drunk but not too far off.
It irks me when I see people generalize a certain idea as something that no fan of Halo would want or that it's just there to appease the "CoD" crowd/casual gamer who will pick up and drop the game. Crticism is fine as is pointing out why you think a mechanic won't work for the game. Even when you haven't played the game yet.
However acting as if only one demographic would want or enjoy a certain idea or mechanic strikes me as throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Looks really cool dude. I look forward to seeing it when it's finished.

Halo 5 Beta Stuff

Anyone that actually thinks anything will be changed is a hopeless optimist. There's no way we'll get anything OUT of the game that we don't like, especially not ADS (Which is completely not aesthetic. Aesthetic in the gaming sense of the term has 0 impact on gameplay. Something that blocks half my screen and does not allow me to see people running under me if I'm on a higher level is not aesthetic) since they've gone this far to add it, adding the animations for guns, etc. The most we'll get is a toggle for the old mode, and I doubt that. Anything with sprint is cancer, so I guess MCC is my last stop. A shame 343 couldn't have figured out more unique movement like Shadowrun. Thruster looks cool though insanely broken. I can see single 'nades being completely irrelevant if you play smart and don't waste your thruster through speed boosts. Enjoy that I guess to anyone buying the game.

Edit: Sweet, got a lucky spawn and respawned directly behind an enemy. Assassinated him and he booted me. Love it.
Alternatively you could be a hopeless pessimist.

Not even giving it a chance before passing judgement is just jumping the gun. I mean if sprint really is a dealbreaker for you then hey, that's how you prefer your games. However just dismissing mechanics and 343's intent so readily doesn't do anything to help the series. Especially when they've demonstrated how much they care about feedback. Yeah they probably won't be getting rid of core mechanics. However if we got a toggle for the ADS that'd be a major win. It isn't that far fetched to think they would do it either. I've seen games do crazier with their HUD elements.

I hear HaloGAF is super salty and a toxic community.

D0YO1Wc.png
Wait... is that real? Do they actually think they'd even have a case? What would the lawsuit be?
"Oh well you see I didn't like the game I bought and couldn't wait for them to fix it. Going out and getting a refund seemed a little too level headed."

lol smh

MouldyK

What they could've done is delay release. I'm sure all of us here would rather have the game delayed to the end of November giving them 2-3 weeks more to get kinks worked out. But nope, November 11th became the hard target stuck in stone, and now we're going almost a week or or two before any real remedies to these problems waiting for the next CU patch is out.

And if some of these problems really did transpire after the game went live in people's hands, then they coulda released it November 11th Digital-Only, clearly citing that the game is not 100% complete and might have problems and that people have essentially paid to:

- Access game earlier than retail.
- Help make sure the game does not collapse for the retail release on the 25th November, still in time for Black Friday for you US peeps.

I mean, I would be more tempted to go digital alot more for games if the game was given out a couple weeks early and if it means we can test the servers and make sure they don't cripple as much.

Xbone tomorrow.
Halo, hopefully, Tomorrow.

Hello, Halogaf! I may have been drinking a little bit, but I wanted to air out some distaste I have -

Kids saying "You are not a true halo fan if" "You are not a true halo player if" "You are not a" --- All of that shit.
That shit needs to just, cut it. Now.
We all come from different walks of life, right? Not everyone is a BxR Pro, not everyone gives a shit about MLG settings, not everyone cares for CTF or Slayer or Rumble pit (or everything or anything or specific things) - Some are Reach warriors. Some loved H4. Some are CE purists. Etc.
We're all here for Halo. We're all here for MC. Play your own shit. Don't give grief over change, and don't tell people they aren't true players because they like something you don't like.
Especially if you're judging Halo 5 by some youtube videos. Like seriously, play the fucking game, then complain about what you don't like.
Right? Right. Rightio.

Looooooove you!

You just told a bunch of people not to tell each other what to do.

Ein Bear

I have a fuckload of campaign achievements that never popped and currently have the status of 'Done! Unlocking...'

Are the stupid things ever actually going to unlock?

I think it's testament to just how great Halo is that I'm still unable to stop playing this broken, glitchy mess off a release.

-Ryn

Banned
I wonder if we will actually get to play with the armor from the Halo 5 gameplay in the beta.
According to the IGN reveal these are the armors that will be available.

Mark VI

Mark VI Scarred

Nightfall

Helioskull

Since the Recruit armor wasn't one of them it might be further indication that those were indeed placeholders from Halo 4. Plus the noticeable decline in quality which has been mentioned. Though I do kinda hope the Recruit returns. It was one of the few helmets I liked from halo 4.

Working on a new map. Multiteam currently. I like symmetrical maps.
I want to play that map. Like... really bad.

Ein Bear

Does Halo 4's campaign in the MCC still suffer from dropped weapons vanishing? I always assumed that was a technical limitation rather than a dumb design decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom