• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vico

Man, playing CE Anniversary for the first time, and it's pretty clear everything is brighter, clearer. No more seedy, obscure. I'm glad people are saying Halo 2 Anniversary is more faithful than CE Anniversary.

Luckily nobody has been able to play it this entire week, so you haven't missed much!

:(

Ahah, I guess that's true.

Akai__

Does Halo 4's campaign in the MCC still suffer from dropped weapons vanishing? I always assumed that was a technical limitation rather than a dumb design decision.

Yes, it's a design decision. And I agree, it's dumb outside of anything that is Infinity Slayer...

-Ryn

Banned
Found this concept armor some dude on Devianart created

mk_7__s__concept_by_dutch02-d6uzgn2.jpg

Looks pretty cool I think. Almost tanky looking.

Helioskull a teenager suit?
I actually kinda dig it. The forearms and legs look rad.
Helmet looks kind of Arbiteresque.

I love this kind of stuff.

Man, playing CE Anniversary for the first time, and it's pretty clear everything is brighter, clearer. No more seedy, obscure. I'm glad people are saying Halo 2 Anniversary is more faithful than CE Anniversary.

Ahah, I guess that's true.

Yeah halo ce was pretty unique in how it looked compared to the others. I think the idea was to try and make them look more similar to each other. Halo 2 anniversary almost fools me for halo 3 in parts (its the lighting). But the enhanced graphics feel more like the artists meticulously went through all the assets and enhanced them, respectfully to the original. Its really cool, and some parts in halo 2 really have new life because of it. And that goes for the audio too.

I don't mind the CEA look, but the original just has something to it that makes it feel eerily vacant. CEA makes a lot of that less impactful. That being said, it still looks great and the campaign is as fun as ever, in my opinion. For first time players,it'll make the transition between all the halo games more consistent in visual feel I think, though.

Raide

The space underneath looks underused, but the rest looks really, really good.

I was not sure if I should just killbox it or do something with it.

Might just be the screenshot but that looks really confined movement-wise. Looks like it needs more open areas that aren't just bridges/paths. You don't want to make The Cave v2, do you?

I see what you mean. Lots of tunnels to shoot people in ahha.

Still a WIP!

Raide

You could create some geometry underneath with some pathways that connect the under and upper areas. Maybe hide some power weapon underneath too.

Good plan. Scrapped the middle and making it drop into the lower sections, so I can use the lower part. Not sure if I like the water or if I should replace with grass.

Overdoziz

Banned
Working on a new map. Multiteam currently. I like symmetrical maps.
If you're gonna make map with mostly walkways you gotta have a lot more cover (as in blocking half the map kind of cover, not a tiny wall here and there). Currently it looks like every spot is a deathtrap essentially, especially the middle. There's no reason to move around the map much as you're likely to just get pinged from everywhere. Without proper cover you're also never gonna get decent spawns no matter where you place them. You also need to add some dancing space. Just narrow, linear walkways is gonna make for boring fights. For instance Lockout has a bunch of tiered platforms and buildings with a fair amount of space which makes it interesting to move around in.

Raide

If you're gonna make map with mostly walkways you gotta have a lot more cover (as in blocking half the map kind of cover, not a tiny wall here and there). Currently it looks like every spot is a deathtrap essentially, especially the middle. There's no reason to move around the map much as you're likely to just get pinged from everywhere. Without proper cover you're also never gonna get decent spawns no matter where you place them. You also need to add some dancing space. Just narrow, linear walkways is gonna make for boring fights. For instance Lockout has a bunch of tiered platforms and buildings with a fair amount of space which makes it interesting to move around in.

Hrrmm...Good feedback. Going to try and make something interesting in the middle and add some more tiered combat options.

Also, swapped to grass and I think it looks better already. More tweaking!

jem0208

All these forge maps have inspired me to make one.

Going to be a small-ish, symmetrical, objective focused map. Incorporating lots of trick jumps.

Xbone tomorrow.
Halo, hopefully, Tomorrow.

Hello, Halogaf! I may have been drinking a little bit, but I wanted to air out some distaste I have -

Kids saying "You are not a true halo fan if" "You are not a true halo player if" "You are not a" --- All of that shit.
That shit needs to just, cut it. Now.
We all come from different walks of life, right? Not everyone is a BxR Pro, not everyone gives a shit about MLG settings, not everyone cares for CTF or Slayer or Rumble pit (or everything or anything or specific things) - Some are Reach warriors. Some loved H4. Some are CE purists. Etc.
We're all here for Halo. We're all here for MC. Play your own shit. Don't give grief over change, and don't tell people they aren't true players because they like something you don't like.
Especially if you're judging Halo 5 by some youtube videos. Like seriously, play the fucking game, then complain about what you don't like.
Right? Right. Rightio.

Looooooove you!
You should always be drunk.

willow ve

Halo 4 on Xbox 360:
dmwTAd.gif

and
Halo 4 on Xbox One (30 second clip. Same puddle)

That's... a disappointment. It's essentially Halo 2 quality water with a slightly better shader now. Why would they have to downgrade anything? Makes me wonder what else they did. Lighting looks a bit more sterile, perhaps. Though that could just be the Xbone and its weird colour output. But then you still have stuff like this when things load in (30 second clip. Exactly as it happened) and frequent dips below what seem 30 in regular gameplay. This whole game is a mess.

Well that's disappointing (not that I'll probably ever play Halo 4 again)

Omni

More tweaking. Trying to make the middle worth going for and to give some more space to play in. Also trying to work in different options for multiteam stuff.

Curious. Does that performance meter change when you're on different parts of the map?

Halo 4 on Xbox 360:
dmwTAd.gif

and

That's... a disappointment. It's essentially Halo 2 quality water with a slightly better shader now. Why would they have to downgrade anything? Makes me wonder what else they did. Lighting looks a bit more sterile, perhaps. Though that could just be the Xbone and its weird colour output. But then you still have stuff like this when things load in (30 second clip. Exactly as it happened) and frequent dips below what seem 30 in regular gameplay. This whole game is a mess.

How the hell does that even happen? I really do wonder what else is different in the games.

Working on a new map. Multiteam currently. I like symmetrical maps.

Ohh, that looks really cool.

Found this concept armor some dude on Devianart created

mk_7__s__concept_by_dutch02-d6uzgn2.jpg

I like it, it looks like a good take on 343's design elements while retaining the traditional armor curves (or lack of) that we associate with Spartans. The helmet looks like a mix of the Halo 4 MC helmet and the Halo 3 Rogue helmet. Only thing I don't like are the bumps where it looks like you should connect a Lego piece.

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
I like it, it looks like a good take on 343's design elements while retaining the traditional armor curves (or lack of) that we associate with Spartans. The helmet looks like a mix of the Halo 4 MC helmet and the Halo 3 Rogue helmet.
Halo 3 rogue helmet was great, really gave off a spartan vibe. I wish they didn't make it so awful in halo 4.

Raide

Curious. Does that performance meter change when you're on different parts of the map?

If you cluster things together is can be an issue but it only seems to be an issue when you try and use the HUD to see the whole map. On the ground, you don't get to see everything but I get the feeling you will still have to tweak on some maps if you have loads of stuff close together.

Blueblur1

Halo 4 on Xbox 360:
dmwTAd.gif

and

:-/

Aside from the resolution and frame rate, it seems like these versions of the games are really missing a lot of the small touches that helped make them special.

Overdoziz

Banned
More tweaking. Trying to make the middle worth going for and to give some more space to play in. Also trying to work in different options for multiteam stuff.
Better but if I were you I'd keep the walkways with small walls of cover to a minimum. It's lazy cover that results in peek-a-boo pinging across the map more than anything else.
Having bigger pieces of cover generally means that people will move around a bit more and you get a bigger variety of fights.

Raide

Better but if I were you I'd keep the walkways with small walls of cover to a minimum. It's lazy cover that results in peek-a-boo pinging across the map more than anything else.
Having bigger pieces of cover generally means that people will move around a bit more and you get a bigger variety of fights.

I am always worried about not enough cover and people getting pinged from the far end of the map. Putting larger objects does make sense, since they have to move around them to find a target.

Thanks for the feedback!

These forge mockups look like they're launch map quality in terms of visuals, at least on mobile. We've come a long way from restarting the round and using teleporter bumpers for interlocking large crates.

Omni

Okay, this is starting to drive me up the fucking wall. I've found 2 games in matchmaking since release. That's almost a week. I've been searching for games in the background while browsing this forum tonight for the last two hours and I've got nothing. Even being backing out every couple of minutes and choosing a new playlist

Frustrating.

Karl2177

Halo 4 on Xbox 360:
dmwTAd.gif

and

I pointed this out in the other thread, but I'll point it out here too. The difference in system architecture is likely what causes this. I know Halo 3 did funny stuff with lighting and water physics and that Halo 4 did it with particles and water also. The transition from 360 => One likely broke these effects, and it would require a decently sized effort to fix(it probably wasn't in the scope of things).

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

reminds me of foundation

MouldyK

Found a H2 game: Foundry.

3 vs 2, with me on the 2 team...

...26 kills for me and 22 deaths, best guy on other team had 26 kills and 10 deaths...

Final Score: 43 for us, 38 for them.

But the carnage report said "Match Incomplete"...

...I still had fun.

I know the game not working is horrible, but it's done wonders for bringing the community together, I've played more customs in the past couple days than i have in the last 3 years.

I liked the idea of some pitfalls, perhaps use smaller ground pieces that still allow for the player to fall to the water ? Either way, looking good.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Explain the story of Sonic Boom

What I gathered from the GB quick look:

Sonic and friends (MC and Cortana) are chased into a tomb (Requiem) by their long-time foes, Eggman and Metal Sonic (The Covenant), and think that turning on some beams (turning off radio interference beams) in this tomb they're now trapped in will help them escape. Instead, Sonic's activation of the beams awakens this "Ancient" (Forerunner) who has been imprisoned there for 1000 (100,000) years. The Ancient, named Lyric (Didact), blames Sonic, or a look-alike, ancient ancestor of Sonic's species, as wall carvings would indicate (humans), for his imprisonment. Sonic tries to stop him, but Lyric flies away. A bit later, Sonic finds out that the Ancients, whose goal was to live in harmony with nature, collectively decided to imprison Lyric after discovering his plan to use magical crystals (Composer) to power an army of machines (Prometheans). They believe Lyric intends to reboot his army and take revenge on those responsible for his punishment.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

Sonic and friends are chased into a tomb by their long-time foes (Eggman and Metal Sonic) and think that turning on some beams in this tomb they're now trapped in will help them escape. Instead, Sonic's activation of the beams awakens this "Ancient" who has been imprisoned there for 1000 years. The Ancient, named Lyric, blames Sonic (or a look-alike, ancient ancestor of Sonic's species, as wall carvings would indicate) for his imprisonment. Sonic tries to stop him, but Lyric flies away. A bit later, Sonic finds out that the Ancients, whose goal was to live in harmony with nature, collectively decided to imprison Lyric after discovering his plan to use magical crystals to power an army of machines. They believe Lyric intends to reboot his army and take revenge on those responsible for his punishment.

copying is the sincerest form of flattery

Sonic and friends (MC and Cortana) are chased into a tomb (Requiem) by their long-time foes, Eggman and Metal Sonic (The Covenant), and think that turning on some beams (turning off radio interference beams) in this tomb they're now trapped in will help them escape. Instead, Sonic's activation of the beams awakens this "Ancient" (Forefunner) who has been imprisoned there for 1000 (100,000) years. The Ancient, named Lyric (Didact), blames Sonic, or a look-alike, ancient ancestor of Sonic's species, as wall carvings would indicate (humans), for his imprisonment. Sonic tries to stop him, but Lyric flies away. A bit later, Sonic finds out that the Ancients, whose goal was to live in harmony with nature, collectively decided to imprison Lyric after discovering his plan to use magical crystals (Composer) to power an army of machines (Prometheans). They believe Lyric intends to reboot his army and take revenge on those responsible for his punishment.
Holy hell Lmao

Raide

I liked the idea of some pitfalls, perhaps use smaller ground pieces that still allow for the player to fall to the water ? Either way, looking good.

Shame the water is not actually deep enough. You have to put killzones around it to make people die if they touch it.

I do like to have some danger in there but I hate falling off stuff lol.

MouldyK

Sonic and friends (MC and Cortana) are chased into a tomb (Requiem) by their long-time foes, Eggman and Metal Sonic (The Covenant), and think that turning on some beams (turning off radio interference beams) in this tomb they're now trapped in will help them escape. Instead, Sonic's activation of the beams awakens this "Ancient" (Forefunner) who has been imprisoned there for 1000 (100,000) years. The Ancient, named Lyric (Didact), blames Sonic, or a look-alike, ancient ancestor of Sonic's species, as wall carvings would indicate (humans), for his imprisonment. Sonic tries to stop him, but Lyric flies away. A bit later, Sonic finds out that the Ancients, whose goal was to live in harmony with nature, collectively decided to imprison Lyric after discovering his plan to use magical crystals (Composer) to power an army of machines (Prometheans). They believe Lyric intends to reboot his army and take revenge on those responsible for his punishment.

John-117 and Cortana are chased into a tomb by their long-time foes (Sangheili and Unggoy) and think that turning off some Towers in this tomb they're now trapped in will help them escape. Instead, John-117's deactivation of the Towers awakens this "Forerunner" who has been imprisoned there for 100,000 years. The Forerunner, named The Didact, blames John-117 (or a look-alike, ancient ancestor of John-117's species, as wall carvings would indicate) for his imprisonment. John-117 tries to stop him, but The Didact flies away. A bit later, John-117 finds out that the Forerunner, whose goal was to live in harmony with nature, collectively decided to imprison The Didact after discovering his plan to use The Composer to power an army of Prometheans. They believe The Didact intends to reboot his army and take revenge on those responsible for his punishment.

Well then...

Quick-Edit: I did mine before you edited, but oh well.

Omni

I've sat here for almost an hour and a half trying to get into matchmaking and nothing is working. This is fucking dumb.

Yeah, I've just given up.

Any motivation I've had to try and play multiplayer is essentially gone because of all these bugs and errors. I'd argue this is worse than BF4's launch at this point. At least you could enter damn games back then.

Grexeno

The answer to all questions about bugs is simple: Microsoft rushed this game out the door before it could be finished in order to get it out in time for Black Friday.

Caja 117

The answer to all questions about bugs is simple: Microsoft rushed this game out the door before it could be finished in order to get it out in time for Black Friday.

I doesn't make sense when Black Friday is two weeks from now and Patch is coming next week. They would had just released the game with the patch next week then.

Its a network/server problem that could only appear in a live environment, blame them for not doing a Beta test.

Omni

Wow.

Got an invite for a custom game. Tried to join. Game then tells me the match is full. So I have a look... and it says I'm already in the game

Rev3rb

Wow.

Got an invite for a custom game. Tried to join. Game then tells me the match is full. So I have a look... and it says I'm already in the game

I don't think you can join custom games in progress, even if they're not full.

I get the same message... and it show's in the details that I'm a part of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom