• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatMarshall

Neo Member
The amount of bugs in this game is just so significant and massive that I feel like the game won't even properly function as a finished product should even when the Halo 5 Guardians Beta releases in December.

There have been quite a lot of blunders this year in gaming, but the Master Chief Collection is pretty damn high up there, right next to Destiny and Watch Dogs in fact. Funny how the two Bungie-affiliated games released this year have been huge disappointments.

I'm sick of the 4v5s and general bugs so I'm probably gonna end up playing GTA V this coming week. Oh well.

So I have pretty much finished my map aside from spawns/weapons. I think I'll call it Rough Rock. Here's a flythrough.

b5zRgw4.jpg

EDgg7cn.jpg

It's inverse symmetrical and similar to guardian.

Very nice! I like it a lot. Keep it and share it when all gets working properly. Maybe ad something that blocks the vue a little in the middle long pathway??

Justrekt

Neo Member
I wouldn't say it's the only thing..

Well I did say missing, not broken. Most of the things I see people complaining about will be fixed in time, however I haven't heard a peep of them adding a file browser in the game at any time of the future. To get a map, they are expecting us to have someone with said map on our friends list, wait for them to get online, have them put it on their fileshare, and then take it from there. This is not acceptable.

RowdyReverb

I wonder how much next week's CU fixes. My hope is that most of the symptoms arose from a few root problems that they found and corrected. There's just too many bugs for them to all be unrelated.
If they were all separate bugs, the game would not have cleared QA, which leads me to believe that there was just one big bug that didn't manifest in testing.

matthieuC

Just dont fall into the trap of not having enough dance floor. It can be easy to just use bridges and platforms, which ends up giving maps very linear lines of sight.
Yeah no doubt it's a tough balance to strike. But since this game lacks sprint, I'd say there is an adequate amount of dance floor on my map. I mean if you take a map like Guardian or Lockout, it is essentially platforms with connections when you get down to it, and those maps are fan favorites. I bet that the biggest dance floor on lockout (top mid) is only just a little bigger than a 5x5 block.

Very nice! I like it a lot. Keep it and share it when all gets working properly. Maybe ad something that blocks the vue a little in the middle long pathway??
Good idea! It's definitely a very long sight line. I'll see if I can add something to break it up. Thanks.

NOKYARD

Just dont fall into the trap of not having enough dance floor.
My maps are nothing but dance floor.

I wanted to have a Grifball court ready for testing in case CA/343i patches in the Hammer so here's my first H2A court.

You now get 32 Gravity Volumes so courts can be MUCH more open than in previous games. For those of you unfamiliar with Gravity Volumes, they act like a solid wall when hit by a Ricochet or Grifball bomb so they can be used as invisible walls and ceilings. Halo 4 only provided 12 10x10 volumes so walls had to be much higher.

Deception

Sorry I couldn't make it to the throwdown this week guys but I'll be at the next one for sure.

Edit: I always thought it'd be cool to do some grifball courts with multiple levels and bridges and stuff for more interesting gameplay.

Random17

on to gimmicky Halo 2,
What does this even mean? I read some of the more absurd criticisms of Halo 2's campaign time to time... but this isn't a multiplayer discussion.

Are you referring to dual wielding? Moving set pieces? Boss battles? The latter two make up a small percentage of the Campaign anyway... and stuff like the Gondolas are actually quite good.

And parts of CE are repetitive due to the fact that there is less content and the fact that there are repetitive encounters. It's compounded by the fact that the missions tend to be longer, more linear, and harder to break out of as the game progresses. It harms replayability for significant portions of the campaign, and replayability is one of the most important aspects of campaign quality.

The king of CE AI is the Elites, matched only by Reach and this is only because of their relatively fast strafe. Otherwise for most engagements, Halo AI has gotten better as the newer games have released, barring Halo 4 Covenant AI. (Peaked with Reach)

E.g. Grunts are more deadly in Halo 2 due to their increased mobility and coordination with other species. Jackals are less likely to die due to silly rolls, and they are vastly more deadly due to their shield interaction (I'm not talking about the snipers). Hunters no longer get one shotted and their melee has become more deadly. Brutes are a force to be reckoned with due to their berserking nature.

Friendly AI is an order of magnitude better in Halo 2 OG, no question. However in MCC they appear to be broken.

CE's campaign has aged. It's still a lot of fun primarily because of the weapon sandbox.

Is there a 1337 guide to do LASO for each game? Not looking forward to that.

There's no easy way of LASOing each game, especially not Halo 2. Look up guides for each mission; this is something that's going to take many tens of hours, easily, unless you are naturally a pro at these sorts of things.

darthbob

My maps are nothing but dance floor.

I wanted to have a Grifball court ready for testing in case CA/343i patches in the Hammer so here's my first H2A court.

You now get 32 Gravity Volumes so courts can be MUCH more open than in previous games. For those of you unfamiliar with Gravity Volumes, they act like a solid wall when hit by a Ricochet or Grifball bomb so they can be used as invisible walls and ceilings. Halo 4 only provided 12 10x10 volumes so walls had to be much higher.

I've never been a huge fan of Grifball but that court looks sick.

Overdoziz

Banned
What does this even mean? I read some of the more absurd criticisms of Halo 2's campaign time to time... but this isn't a multiplayer discussion.

Are you referring to dual wielding? Moving set pieces? Boss battles? The latter two make up a small percentage of the Campaign anyway... and stuff like the Gondolas are actually quite good.

And parts of CE are repetitive due to the fact that there is less content and the fact that there are repetitive encounters. It's compounded by the fact that the missions tend to be longer, more linear, and harder to break out of as the game progresses. It harms replayability for significant portions of the campaign, and replayability is one of the most important aspects of campaign quality.

The king of CE AI is the Elites, matched only by Reach and this is only because of their relatively fast strafe. Otherwise for most engagements, Halo AI has gotten better as the newer games have released, barring Halo 4 Covenant AI. (Peaked with Reach)

E.g. Grunts are more deadly in Halo 2 due to their increased mobility and coordination with other species. Jackals are less likely to die due to silly rolls, and they are vastly more deadly due to their shield interaction (I'm not talking about the snipers). Hunters no longer get one shotted and their melee has become more deadly. Brutes are a force to be reckoned with due to their berserking nature.

Friendly AI is an order of magnitude better in Halo 2 OG, no question. However in MCC they appear to be broken.

CE's campaign has aged. It's still a lot of fun primarily because of the weapon sandbox.
Enemies are more deadly cause everything fucking one-shots you from a mile away.

Random17

Enemies are more deadly cause everything fucking one-shots you from a mile away.
Simple strawmen of Halo 2 AI is not a very descriptive reply. I explicitly said I'm not talking about the Jackal Snipers. CE also has grenade combine explosions... remember that. Getting killed instantly against something that seems to be unfair is in every Halo game ever, except ODST which is too easy IMO. Even with Black Eye on Legendary.

Booshka

I'm talking about Legendary difficulty, H2 is mostly gimmicky in that sense, Noob Combo is the best way to deal with Elites. Plasma Pistol and Plasma Rifle are both nerfed, Plasma Pistol is only good because overcharge is OP when paired with a BR or Carbine. Sniper Jackals that one shot you to the body is stupid as fuck, I also don't feel that Shielded Jackals with Plasma Pistols are as foreboding as their CE counterparts, they don't hit as hard, and are easier to knock out of their shields.

Flood is nonsense in Halo 2, they don't give the right feedback from damage, and don't get melted as well as CE Flood do, and some of them have Shields, dumbest thing ever, they are supposed to be a Zombie type enemy that literally floods you en masse, not bullet sponges.

On to the greatest Bullet sponges of them all, Brutes, different, yet dumber than Elites, they eschew the Shield mechanic that defined the Halo series for little helmets that popped off after a few shots. Otherwise you are just pumping shots into their bodies over and over until they die. If they get close to death, the go nuts and rush, they don't evade and seek cover to regain their shields like intelligent Elites would. Brutes are a bad enemy type, objectively inferior to Elites, it's a main reason why Halo 3 is one of my most disappointing Halo Campaigns, you're fighting them the whole fucking game.

CE showcases the best enemy type ever introduced into the Halo franchise, the Elites. Hunters could definitely use a buff in CE, making them so easy to kill is an oversight, I'll admit, but otherwise, the enemies, and weapon sandbox work perfectly. Level design aside, each combat encounter (the fabled 30 secs of fun) is unrivaled compared to Halo CE, even to this day.

Random17

I'm talking about Legendary difficulty, H2 is mostly gimmicky in that sense, Noob Combo is the best way to deal with elites. Plasma Pistol and Plasma Rifle are both nerfed, Plasma Pistol is only good because overcharge is OP when paired with a BR or Carbine. Sniper Jackals that one shot you to the body is stupid as fuck, I also don't feel that Shielded Jackals with Plasma Pistols are as foreboding as their CE counterparts, they don't hit as hard, and are easier to knock out of their shields.
That's only because the pistol is generally less accurate at longer ranges, making the hand hit harder. Otherwise Jackal AI is absolutely better in Halo 2; they don't roll and expose themselves. Jackals move faster than Elites and generally stick together more often than not.

Flood is nonsense in Halo 2, they don't give the right feedback from damage, and don't get melted as well as CE Flood do, and some of them have Shields, dumbest thing ever, they are supposed to be a Zombie type enemy that literally floods you en masse, not bullet sponges.
But the actual AI is improved; far more vicious individually. Sure they aren't a swarm in some encounters, but that only leads to bullshit like grenade combine or Carrier combines, which is basically CE's Jackal sniper. At points the game literally drops Flood right on top of the player, which isn't that fun at all. It's a scripted event that isn't a fair sort of difficulty, and there's no way around it without breaking the map.

On to the greatest Bullet sponges of them all, Brutes, different, yet dumber than Elites, they eschew the Shield mechanic that defined the Halo series for little helmets that popped off after a few shots. Otherwise you are just pumping shots into their bodies over and over until they die. If they get close to death, the go nuts and rush, they don't evade and seek cover to regain their shields like intelligent Elites would. Brutes are a bad enemy type, objectively inferior to Elites, it's a main reason why Halo 3 is one of my most disappointing Halo Campaigns, you're fighting them the whole fucking game.
Except that the reason Halo 3 is boring is not because of the design of Halo 2 brutes. Halo 2 Brutes are different from Elites, yes, but
A. They encourage accurate shooting to take out an enemy without just spraying and praying.
B. Their AI is vastly more interesting to deal with. Halo 3 AI is boring because the Brutes are dumbed down by their reliance on equipment. Brute berserk in Halo 2 is actually rather interesting to deal with with its own mediocrum of difficulty to go with it.
C. Elites in CE are also bullet sponges to most staple weapons in the game, barring plasma. Plasma is their weakness. Similarly, precision weapons/melee weapons are the weaknesses of Brutes in Halo 2. Stuff like the AR, Needler and pistol are of little use against the Elites on Legendary as compared to the plasma pistol.

Edit: Prometheans=/= Brutes. Prometheans are bullet sponges with recharging health.

CE showcases the best enemy type ever introduced into the Halo franchise, the Elites. Hunters could definitely use a buff in CE, making them so easy to kill is an oversight, I'll admit, but otherwise, the enemies, and weapon sandbox work perfectly. Level design aside, each combat encounter (the fabled 30 secs of fun) is unrivaled compared to Halo CE, even to this day.
Yes, but the issue is that the Elites being good at strafing is not enough to make up for the fact that encounters are repetitive. Many of your criticisms use Halo CE as a baseline and then criticize Halo 2 for being different.

CE is great but it is not the best campaign in terms of AI, anyway. That award goes to Reach. You could argue that the sandbox is great; but it still ultimately comes down to the pistol shotgun plasma pistol combo in the latter sections of the game. Many of the weapons that are useful in Halo CE are useful in Halo 2. Halo 2 introduces a number of useful and useless weapons too. Sandbox isn't that big of an argument in terms of campaign functionality.

Booshka

Reach is my second favorite Campaign behind CE btw Random17, I recognize that it has the best AI for the enemy types I prefer to fight.

CE still has the best player movement and gunplay, along with excellent enemy AI, so it remains the best Halo Campaign.

Halo 2 is too easy too shoot, and filled with way too many gimmicks, for me to really enjoy.

Random17

Reach is my second favorite Campaign behind CE btw Random17, I recognize that it has the best AI for the enemy types I prefer to fight.

CE still has the best player movement and gunplay, along with excellent enemy AI, so it remains the best Halo Campaign.

Halo 2 is too easy too shoot, and filled with way too many gimmicks, for me to really enjoy.

I'll agree to disagree with you on Halo 2's quality. Some of the most fun I've had playing Halo is simply skipping enemy encounters with active camo as the Arbiter. It's a shame they took out Arbiter missions in Halo 3, which is still the most boring Halo campaign for me.

Wow, MCC throwdown was soooooo much fun. Holy hell. Thanks for arranging it Clique.

Clip from the fight
Who had the other killer rocket shot?

Final score showing Clique's aimbot at work.

The score from the game bevor was much better Kappa
I did fairly well for being 7.000 km away from the host :)
Just wait for my highlight scenes and laugh about how much miles i had to preaim with the sniper

Overdoziz

Banned

Halo CE jumping is the worst.

Booshka

I'll agree to disagree with you on Halo 2's quality. Some of the most fun I've had playing Halo is simply skipping enemy encounters with active camo as the Arbiter. It's a shame they took out Arbiter missions in Halo 3, which is still the most boring Halo campaign for me.

This is 100% a gimmick, skipping quality gameplay with cheap mechanics, then calling it fun.

That sums up Halo 2 overall, MP or SP. Glitches, and gimmicks made it fun, because the core gameplay was so dumbed down compared to Halo CE.

Thanks for proving my point accidentally.

Can't wait for Halo 5: Guys

Teaming up with Arby going against other Covenant and Promies should be fun searching for Mister Chief.

GavinGT

Banned
I wonder how much next week's CU fixes. My hope is that most of the symptoms arose from a few root problems that they found and corrected. There's just too many bugs for them to all be unrelated.
If they were all separate bugs, the game would not have cleared QA, which leads me to believe that there was just one big bug that didn't manifest in testing.

The way Frankie was talking about it two weeks before release ("The game's still in development") leads me to believe they didn't even have time to test it. My guess is they didn't receive the work from the various contributing developers until way too late.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
On the one hand: I'm getting into H2A matches.

On the other hand: I'm finding out how utterly terrible I am.

Kibbles

Started up Halo 2 Classic and matched with some people but it glitched out and I went to go back in but it said I was in the game and it had the party with me so I went to start a custom game and it worked and all the people that matched up with me were in my custom game lol

Madness

So I was at an EBGames earlier today, the reason why is unimportant, and while speaking to the worker there, he mentioned that they knew of the issues currentlt affecting the game and that they've been warning every person buying it that updates are needed, matchmaking isn't working. I'd imagine this will naturally also lead to a loss of sales if people are hesitant to buy now.

How will they even know, say 2 weeks from now, that hey, matchmaking is fixed, you can buy it now.

Random17

This is 100% a gimmick, skipping quality gameplay with cheap mechanics, then calling it fun.

That sums up Halo 2 overall, MP or SP. Glitches, and gimmicks made it fun, because the core gameplay was so dumbed down compared to Halo CE.

Thanks for proving my point accidentally.
Warning to others: Campaign gameplay discussion. Not multiplayer.

Ah, so apparently stealth gameplay is 100% gimmicky, despite the fact that it is also in CE as a powerup.

That is an awful opinion, I'm sorry. Using camo effectively is not easy and requires a certain degree of patience and timing. It's a great game mechanic. It's a useful mechanic that still has its limitations. Don't harbour illusions about any form of objective victory here. There's no such thing in this type of conversation. The fun is being stealthy without being caught; best on Legendary when the stakes are high. It adds to the replayability because the usual tactics involve basically massacring everything on the level. There's more than one way to play a Halo campaign, you know. Trying the same strategy on the levels again and again gets boring quick*; see half of Halo CE.

And no, the gameplay was not dumbed down at all. You've already conceeded a variety of your starting points in your previous posts to the point that Elite AI was your primary argument. There's no inherent aspect of CE campaign gameplay that's more "skillful" or less dumbed down than in Halo 2. At best you're firing RNGs due to the way most weapons work in the Campaign. Half of the tactics involving getting past difficult encounters were quite literally grenade spam and hoping you don't die in a combine explosion in the process.

Just FYI: "In marketing language, a gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries." That is not active camo; it's actually a useful but limited game mechanic. You could argue that dual wielding is a gimmick, but it is an entirely optional thing anyway. And I wasn't defending dual wielding, anyway.

*When I replay CE, I tend to do select levels like the Silent Cartographer and Truth and Reconciliation. I don't play the Library, Two Betrayals or Keyes for my Halo CE fix.

Booshka

Ah, so apparently stealth gameplay is 100% gimmicky, despite the fact that it is also in CE as a powerup.

That is an awful opinion, I'm sorry. Using camo effectively is not easy and requires a certain degree of patience and timing. It's a great game mechanic. It's a useful mechanic that still has its limitations. Don't harbour illusions about any form of objective victory here. There's no such thing in this type of conversation.

And no, the gameplay was not dumbed down at all. You've already conceeded a variety of your starting points in your previous posts to the point that Elite AI was your primary argument. There's no inherent aspect of CE campaign gameplay that's more "skillful" or less dumbed down than in Halo 2. At best you're firing RNGs due to the way most weapons work in the Campaign.

It's an armor ability in Halo 2, it's a powerup that is used sparingly in Halo CE. You can't just cheese your way through levels with Camo, letting it come back off cooldown the whole level. It's placed in levels at certain spots for you to utilize, you can even leave the powerup and come back to it to use on a separate area. Major example I like to use, is leaving it for the Banshee grab on AoTCR. A lot of players grab it immediately and fight the Hunters with it, but if you fight the Hunters first, then come back for it and book it to the Banshee bridge, you can easily swipe it from the Elites. In Halo 2, that would just be waiting in the corridor until your Active Camo "Ability" refilled off Cooldown. Plenty of examples throughout the Campaign of stalling Camo Powerup usage, Truth and Reconciliation has some too.

Inherent aspect's of CE gameplay transfers from Campaign to MP, aim assist, hitboxes, shield regeneration, health system, melee lunge, strafe and player movement. Halo 2 is a dumbed down CE. In Campaign and MP, Halo 2 is more bombastic and has better presentation, but boiled down to the core gameplay, it's a far worse Halo game.

Random17

It's an armor ability in Halo 2, it's a powerup that is used sparingly in Halo CE. You can't just cheese your way through levels with Camo, letting it come back off cooldown the whole level.
This tells me you actually haven't used camo in the way I described it. Its use is very limited but it can be very effective when used properly. 5 seconds on Legendary is very, very short, but it can gain a short term advantage when trading for the risk of being caught out in the open. It doesn't allow you to cheese your way through the level.

It's placed in levels at certain spots for you to utilize, you can even leave the powerup and come back to it to use on a separate area. Major example I like to use, is leaving it for the Banshee grab on AoTCR. A lot of players grab it immediately and fight the Hunters with it, but if you fight the Hunters first, then come back for it and book it to the Banshee bridge, you can easily swipe it from the Elites. In Halo 2, that would just be waiting in the corridor until your Active Camo "Ability" refilled off Cooldown. Plenty of examples throughout the Campaign of stalling Camo Powerup usage, Truth and Reconciliation has some too.
Yes, but the camo lasts a very limited time, and frankly by your own logic it is a gimmick in CE. The vast majority of the Campaign has little use of it.

And if you are going to describe certain sections where it can change up the game; I'd like to point out that your argument is silly because camo can be used (with the Envy skull at least), in every single Halo 2 encounter if necessary. Purely optional, of course. But it adds to the variety and reduces repetitiveness; something CE lacked in the latter sections.
Inherent aspect's of CE gameplay transfers from Campaign to MP, aim assist, hitboxes, shield regeneration, health system, melee lunge, strafe and player movement. Halo 2 is a dumbed down CE. In Campaign and MP, Halo 2 is more bombastic and has better presentation, but boiled down to the core gameplay, it's a far worse Halo game.
This isn't a multiplayer discussion! We are talking about the Covenant vs the Master Chief; and in that regard the greater freedom of movement for the MC in Halo 2 is especially invaluable. The jump height in Halo 2 is vastly more useful; in addition to skulls which add to the variety of the game.

This isn't about "skill". Campaign gameplay is far, far, far more than aim assist. It's about a weapon sandbox*, AI (where you have conceded on a number of fronts), presentation as you said and level design which goes hand in hand with encounter design. The vast majority of encounters in CE are short ranged anyway; vehicular combat tends to overwhelm the larger areans and that usually involves bumping everything to obvilion. At such ranges shotguns and grenade spam become king.
Accuracy is far less of a concern and hence hitboxes are less important than they would be at medium range.

Also, the health system is awful and should stay out of the Campaigns. CE's checkpoint system is a testament to that fact. I even remember one instance where I lost all my progress on Legendary TaR because it gave a checkpoint during Captain Keyes' death cutscene.

*The majority of weapons that were useful in CE are useful in 2. Halo 2 also introduces new weapons like the Carbine, Brute Shot and Energy Sword, which add to the sandbox. Sure it has useless weapons, but so does CE. That doesn't detract from both games from a Campaign perspective; multiplayer is a different story.

It's not just presentation; it's variety and content. Halo 2 has more ways to play the Campaign and therefore its campaign gameplay is not inferior to CE's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom