• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

This tells me you actually haven't used camo in the way I described it. Its use is very limited but it can be very effective when used properly. 5 seconds on Legendary is very, very short, but it can gain a short term advantage when trading for the risk of being caught out in the open. It doesn't allow you to cheese your way through the level.

Yes, but the camo lasts a very limited time, and frankly by your own logic it is a gimmick in CE. The vast majority of the Campaign has little use of it.

And if you are going to describe certain sections where it can change up the game; I'd like to point out that your argument is silly because camo can be used (with the Envy skull at least), in every single Halo 2 encounter if necessary. Purely optional, of course. But it adds to the variety and reduces repetitiveness; something CE lacked in the latter sections.

This isn't a multiplayer discussion! We are talking about the Covenant vs the Master Chief; and in that regard the greater freedom of movement for the MC in Halo 2 is especially invaluable. The jump height in Halo 2 is vastly more useful; in addition to skulls which add to the variety of the game.

This isn't about "skill". Campaign gameplay is far, far, far more than aim assist. It's about a weapon sandbox, AI (where you have conceded on a number of fronts), presentation as you said and level design which goes hand in hand with encounter design. The vast majority of encounters in CE are short ranged anyway; vehicular combat tends to overwhelm the larger areans and that usually involves bumping everything to obvilion. At such ranges shotguns and grenade spam become king.
Accuracy is far less of a concern and hence hitboxes are less important than they would be at medium range.

Also, the health system is awful and should stay out of the Campaigns. CE's checkpoint system is a testament to that fact. I even remember one instance where I lost all my progress on Legendary TaR because it gave a checkpoint during Captain Keyes' death cutscene.

It's not just presentation; it's variety and content. Halo 2 has more ways to play the Campaign and therefore its campaign gameplay is not inferior to CE's.
Not sure how core mechanics like shooting and moving aren't as relevant to Campaign as they are for MP. It's easier to land shots in Halo 2 than it is in Halo CE, MP or Campaign, Halo 2 is dumbed down and less fun because of it. I conceded that Reach has better AI than Halo CE, not that Halo 2 has better AI than CE. I also prefer CE's Weapon Sandbox, as I have already stated, better Plasma weapons, better Utility weapon (Pistol>BR), Snipers and Rockets are better in CE, Shotgun is better, AR is better than SMG. And yea, you're right Dual wielding is a gimmick, and doesn't add anything of value to Halo gunplay.

As for Checkpoints, you can manage those much better by clearing areas before you leave them to force Checkpoints more often. Managing your Health is part of the game, and it gives you less freedom to YOLO your way forward like you can in Halo 2, because you don't always have the same Shields and Health like you do in H2. Backtracking for weapons and Health is very important for Legendary CE, it makes it much easier and less frustrating, it's also just smart gameplay, utilizing the entire Level to succeed.

-Ryn

Banned
So I have pretty much finished my map aside from spawns/weapons. I think I'll call it Rough Rock. Here's a flythrough.

b5zRgw4.jpg

EDgg7cn.jpg

It's inverse symmetrical and similar to guardian.
That looks great dude. Is it finished or are you still putting some final touches on it?

Random17

Not sure how core mechanics like shooting and moving aren't as relevant to Campaign as they are for MP. It's easier to land shots in Halo 2 than it is in Halo CE, MP or Campaign, Halo 2 is dumbed down and less fun because of it. I conceded that Reach has better AI than Halo CE, not that Halo 2 had better AI than CE. I also prefer CE's Weapon Sandbox, as I have already stated, better Plasma weapons, better Utility weapon (Pistol>BR), Snipers and Rockets are better in CE, Shotgun is better CE, AR is better than SMG. And yea, you're right Dual wielding is a gimmick, and doesn't add anything of value to Halo gunplay.
-You conceded on points where for some Covenant species, Halo 2 is better/more formidable. Or you didn't fully respond to points where they did point out some flaws in CE AI design, e.g. the Jackal roll.
-BR is infinitely more useful than the pistol was in the Campaign. Again, not multiplayer discussion.

As for Checkpoints, you can manage those much better by clearing areas before you leave them to force Checkpoints more often. Managing your Health is part of the game, and it gives you less freedom to YOLO your way forward like you can in Halo 2, because you don't always have the same Shields and Health like you do in H2. Backtracking for weapons and Health is very important for Legendary CE, it makes it much easier and less frustrating, it's also just smart gameplay, utilizing the entire Level to succeed.
And this backtracking leads to a slow down of Campaign gameplay on top of the backtracking already present in the Campaign. Not helping your case on variety here; and in many instances in CE clearing areas is not possible because the longer you stay, the more risky it gets. Especially relevant in TaR, where Keyes is especially vulnerable.

Other instances include the mission Keyes itself; where the Flood is dropped on top of the player and/or has many waves.

See, this leads to another issue with the game that is best described with the Library. An argument I've heard about that mission being good is that it forces the player to be running and gunning. That's a fair argument; except that the level stops you on various occasions for random defensive bouts next to a door. The only design philosophy of that mission is artificially increasing the length of Halo CE's campaign. At least Two Betrayals had some interesting encounters, despite the backtracking.

A huge reason why CE gunplay is fun is not because the weapons are inherently harder to use (which in longer range battles only leads to frustration when you feel like you are firing peashooters), but because the gameplay is fast. Backtracking is counterintuitive in that regard. Backtracking for health packs is not fun at all, especially when you have random BS like grenade combines explosions, which is even less predictable than a Jackal sniper. Opinions, of course!

Booshka

-You conceded on points where for some Covenant species, Halo 2 is better/more formidable. Or you didn't fully respond to points where they did point out some flaws in CE AI design, e.g. the Jackal roll.
-BR is infinitely more useful than the pistol was in the Campaign. Again, not multiplayer discussion.

And this backtracking leads to a slow down of Campaign gameplay on top of the backtracking already present in the Campaign. Not helping your case on variety here; and in many instances in CE clearing areas is not possible because the longer you stay, the more risky it gets. Especially relevant in TaR, where Keyes is especially vulnerable.

Other instances include the mission Keyes itself; where the Flood is dropped on top of the player and/or has many waves.

See, this leads to another issue with the game that is best described with the Library. An argument I've heard about that mission being good is that it forces the player to be running and gunning. That's a fair argument; except that the level stops you on various occasions for random defensive bouts next to a door. The only design philosophy of that mission is artificially increasing the length of Halo CE's campaign. At least Two Betrayals had some interesting encounters, despite the backtracking.

A huge reason why CE gunplay is fun is not because the weapons are inherently harder to use (which in longer range battles only leads to frustration when you feel like you are firing peashooters), but because the gameplay is fast. Backtracking is counterintuitive in that regard. Backtracking for health packs is not fun at all, especially when you have random BS like grenade combines explosions, which is even less predictable than a Jackal sniper. Opinions, of course!

You don't have to backtrack, it just makes things a lot easier. Forcing checkpoints isn't that hard, kill enemies around you, and be next to Loading zones, crouch or don't move for a couple seconds and one will probably pop for you. Maybe I'm just weird, but walking back to a weapons cache that I didn't fully exhaust and refreshing my Health doesn't bother me, it's just good combat and mission strategy.

CE has a lot less of the always moving forward urgency of later Halo games, and most AAA Shooter Campaigns for that fact. it's actually a lot more calm and lonely, scavenging the battlefield for resources doesn't bother me, just immerses me more into the Campaign, it seems like something Master Chief would be doing, it's just smart.

I never feel like the Pistol is a Peashooter either, it has much farther range than the BR could ever dream of having. You can also launch grenades much farther, so lay some shots into an enemy, then throw a grenade into their hiding spot as they try to recharge their shields. CE Campaign even has some wonderful examples of bleedthrough damage, you can headshot drop an Elite when it's Shields are still technically up, so it's AI is less prone to dodging and hiding, making them easier to land that final dome shot through the last bit of their shields.

Random17

You don't have to backtrack, it just makes things a lot easier. Forcing checkpoints isn't that hard, kill enemies around you, and be next to Loading zones, crouch or don't move for a couple seconds and one will probably pop for you. Maybe I'm just weird, but walking back to a weapons cache that I didn't fully exhaust and refreshing my Health doesn't bother me, it's just good combat and mission strategy.
Checkpoints are not just based on killing enemies, just fyi. And again, killing everything is monotonous after 13 years. There's nothing wrong with backtracking; but it shouldn't be a necessity for advancing through a level. There's way too many random factors to justify punishing the player for "mistakes" or simple bad luck in previous encounters.

CE has a lot less of the always moving forward urgency of later Halo games, and most AAA Shooter Campaigns for that fact. it's actually a lot more calm and lonely, scavenging the battlefield for resources doesn't bother me, just immerses me more into the Campaign, it seems like something Master Chief would be doing, it's just smart.
There's plenty of scavenging in Halo 2; Outskirts is a good example, there's sniper ammo all over the place if you know where to find it. It's just that backtracking is not a necessity for advancing through the level easily.

I never feel like the Pistol is a Peashooter either, it has much farther range than the BR could ever dream of having. You can also launch grenades much farther, so lay some shots into an enemy, then throw a grenade into their hiding spot as they try to recharge their shields. CE Campaign even has some wonderful examples of bleedthrough damage, you can headshot drop an Elite when it's Shields are still technically up, so it's AI is less prone to dodging and hiding, making them easier to land that final dome shot through the last bit of their shields.
I'll agree with you on bleedthrough; but the pistol is simply too unreliable at ultra long ranges. Most of the rest of CE's encounters are very short ranged, or long ranged. In missions where there's a middle ground, like TaR, there is no pistol!

Actually; it'll be interesting to see how stuff like Thrusters work in the Halo 5 Campaign.

I'm always a fan of adding new features into the Campaign, so long as it isn't stuff that takes away from the gameplay, like a cover system. It's a shame that the Campaign is held back by multiplayer balance; you can have CE like aim assist with some new mechanics in the Campaign that wouldn't necessarily work in multiplayer. I guess the key is to enhance the player's experience without losing any of the base mechanics. This is why in the Campaign, I find camo to be good, while stuff like equipment is bad. I've played more CE than the rest of the Halo games combined, barring Halo 2. I've played Halo 2 more than the rest of the Halo games combined. Replayability is the key.

Omni

Halo 4 is such a chore. And I'm not talking about technical glitches... just gameplay wise.

It's the little things. Like Promethean Knights being invincible for a split second after you drop their shields, meaning you can't pull head shots straight away. And weird delays after firing weapons. And being unable to see if a Knight's shield is down in the first place. And them just teleporting on the other side of the map when you're close to killing them. And the general bullet sponginess of every enemy - even when you have 'power weapons' that will one shot you no problem.

Did one level tonight but I'm burnt out already. Try again tomorrow maybe.

Random17

Halo 4 is such a chore. And I'm not talking about technical glitches... just gameplay wise.

It's the little things. Like Promethean Knights being invincible for a split second after you drop their shields, meaning you can't pull head shots straight away. And weird delays after firing weapons. And being unable to see if a Knight's shield is down in the first place. And them just teleporting on the other side of the map when you're close to killing them. And the general bullet sponginess of every enemy - even when you have 'power weapons' that will one shot you no problem.

I think that they should focus more on strengthening the AI interaction within the Covenant and Prometheans, while also porting and improving on Reach's AI. Less emphasis should be put on the Knights as a result; and their teleportation ability should be of an offensive use only.

To a certain extent Halo 4 already did this; but it can be done much better. Halo 4's Elite AI was easily the worst in the series, somehow.

Oh, and bring back English speaking aliens with a skull, please. Halo shouldn't take itself too seriously; you can still have a serious story with English speaking aliens.

Nirvana

I'm talking about Legendary difficulty, H2 is mostly gimmicky in that sense, Noob Combo is the best way to deal with Elites. Plasma Pistol and Plasma Rifle are both nerfed, Plasma Pistol is only good because overcharge is OP when paired with a BR or Carbine. Sniper Jackals that one shot you to the body is stupid as fuck, I also don't feel that Shielded Jackals with Plasma Pistols are as foreboding as their CE counterparts, they don't hit as hard, and are easier to knock out of their shields.

Flood is nonsense in Halo 2, they don't give the right feedback from damage, and don't get melted as well as CE Flood do, and some of them have Shields, dumbest thing ever, they are supposed to be a Zombie type enemy that literally floods you en masse, not bullet sponges.

On to the greatest Bullet sponges of them all, Brutes, different, yet dumber than Elites, they eschew the Shield mechanic that defined the Halo series for little helmets that popped off after a few shots. Otherwise you are just pumping shots into their bodies over and over until they die. If they get close to death, the go nuts and rush, they don't evade and seek cover to regain their shields like intelligent Elites would. Brutes are a bad enemy type, objectively inferior to Elites, it's a main reason why Halo 3 is one of my most disappointing Halo Campaigns, you're fighting them the whole fucking game.

CE showcases the best enemy type ever introduced into the Halo franchise, the Elites. Hunters could definitely use a buff in CE, making them so easy to kill is an oversight, I'll admit, but otherwise, the enemies, and weapon sandbox work perfectly. Level design aside, each combat encounter (the fabled 30 secs of fun) is unrivaled compared to Halo CE, even to this day.

The problem with CE I find is that the AR is only useful on Flood Infection forms. It has absolutely no use in the early parts of the game on Legendary and most of the other weapons aside from Sniper and Rockets are entirely useless as well. You just use the pistol for everything, so to say that using BR/Carbine with PP is 'gimmicky' on the premise that it becomes a 'standard toolset for an enemy type' is a pointless argument.

I was using the Pistol/PP for many of the elites anyway in the early levels of the campaign.

Look at the Library. Your toolset for any flood level is Shotgun for big guys, AR for small guys, and the combat is exactly the same throughout -move forward to trigger enemies, move back to camp them with shotgun.

At least the energy sword makes flood combat a bit more fast-paced, and you feel like you aren't just doing the exact same motions over and over again, since the environments and interaction with the sword make for more dynamic encounters.

You mention the hunters as 'an oversight', but it actually lowers the difficulty of the campaign considerably, since ONE shot with the pistol makes the encounters entirely a non-factor, as opposed to Halo 2 where you generally need to save some sniper, fuel rod, or rocket rounds to take them out.

Brutes can be boring to fight, admittedly, but it teaches you to aim better, and with the Carbine they are a push over anyway, berserking or otherwise.

There are many parts in the CE campaign that made me rage just as much as Halo 2, which I think the only true case of 'artificial/gimmicky difficulty' is the snipers. Which are obviously bullshit, but hey, it's Legendary.

-Ryn

Banned
Gonna throw in my 2 cents here on the CE vs 2 thing.

While I thoroughly enjoyed both campaigns, I must say that in terms of gunplay, I felt Halo CE did a better job giving weapons a useful role regardless of difficulty. When it came to shields Plasma weapons kicked ass. When it was a no shields game then the human weapons were the way to go. Grenades exploded things. Vehicles splattered things. It was a nice tight experience. Halo 2 certainly had a diverse selection of weapons, but I almost always found myself sticking with a precision weapon since they were pretty much always the way to go.

In terms of enemies I think I'd have to give it to Halo 2.
At least in terms of the variety of types you can fight. Halo CE's Elites are a joy to fight and the vehicle battles are pretty cool, however aside from that most of the enemies are dispatched fairly easily with a grenade or a few shots from any weapon really. Halo 2 meanwhile improves the AI of the Jackals and the Grunts, while also adding on Brutes (which I found enjoyable with the beserker aspect of the fights), Drones which were a cool swarm enemy, and the heavy types of Forerunner Sentinels. The Flood in CE and the Flood in Halo 2 are on fairly equal ground for me. I enjoyed fighting them in both games.

Halo CE is the best in terms of difficulty.
Halo 2's legendary encounters with Elites were very boiled down to using a PP combo and then just throwing a grenade into the mix on occasion. When the Brutes came into the picture that was less of an issue. However you still had bullshit like the Sniper Jackals and their one hit kills or the Elites constant breaking of the Plasma Rifles ROF. As a matter of fact, that was one of my biggest issues with Halo 2's higher difficulties. Cheap artificial bullshit like lessening the effect of you weapons, highering the enemies damage, and just filling the encounters with high level enemies. In Halo CE regardless of the difficulty, I felt I could handle the enemies. Not because they were easy but because if you were skilled enough, you could break through. Halo 2's higher level fights felt more like a grind than anything for me. At least in close quarters.

Halo 2 has more "cinematic" gameplay and story.
There are larger events that happen. Dual Wielding is really damn cool looking (and can be useful depending on the weapons you pair). Story happening in game is a more frequent occurrence. It just feels more like an epic.

The movement in Halo CE was quicker and tighter while the Halo 2 movement had more verticality to it due to its higher jumps. The ground movement however (while not as responsive imo) was still pretty good. Not much for me to really say there.

Halo CE wins with its health system.
I loved having health packs in the game. When you had full health you had a lot more freedom to run around like a badass. However when you were lower on health you had to watch out and the gameplay became a lot more intense because you don't want to die and have to start over. However even if your health was low, you still had your shield which meant you didn't just have to sneak around everywhere. You could still expose yourself. Finding a health pack felt like a god send too. It just had a really nice dynamic to it and I was disappointed to see it go in Halo 2.

There are various aspects to both game that I love. While Halo 2's core gameplay was a lot softer on players, it made up for it with a diverse sandbox and lot of different enemy encounters as well as a solid story. Halo CE was no slouch either in its encounters and locales, and its core gameplay certainly felt more solid, but it's overall sandbox weren't quite as diverse. For me I don't think there's as much a winner as there are 2 games that offer very different, but great experiences.

Random17

If we are looking at the broader campaign picture then I'll add the fact that IMO:

1. Halo 2 arguably had the best soundtrack in the series
2. Best cutscene presentation in terms of the events unfolding
3. Most developed, well told and interesting story
4. Best dialogue

CE and 2 tie for me in terms of Campaign atmosphere; both games have levels which are simply unmatched by the later games.

It's not all OG Xbox though...

Halo 3 had the best art direction and vehicular encounters, barring the absolutely ridiculous enemy Ghosts.

Reach had the best AI.

Halo 4 had excellent cutscene presentation, voice acting, and audio.

ODST had a great soundtrack and a great macro-environment.

Now imagine if they combined all these aspects into a Halo game with new features like vehicular customization (switching up weapons, armor protection, traction) and it would be my ideal campaign.

-Ryn

Banned

Halo 4 had one of the most annoying examples of fake difficulty in any game I've played in a while. The Prometheans had a cool concept around them, however they were just a chore to fight on higher difficulties and even on lower ones. Not because they were actually hard either. The Knights for example were a terrible (or great?) example of bullet sponge enemies done wrong. There was very little feedback on what they were doing or how much you were affeecting them and the teleporting was a pain in the ass. As you said they had invincibility periods for no damn reason either.

The Watchers had that cool grenade grab thing but had no actual weakness. You just shot at them.

The dog ant things were just annoying. There wasn't really any satisfaction to killing them. Hell just thinking about fighting them bores and irritates me somehow.

Oh, and bring back English speaking aliens with a skull, please. Halo shouldn't take itself too seriously; you can still have a serious story with English speaking aliens.
Especially when we have an in universe reason for being able to understand them. Fuckin' voice translators
or did they just speak english? Pretty sure it was the Voice Translators.

If we are looking at the broader campaign picture then I'll add the fact that IMO:
Nice list. Hopefully Halo 5 is our dream come true for a campaign.

98 kills
chansub-global-emoticon-3a624954918104fe-19x27.png
, dat skill gap.

Not to be pissy but I was watching CE legend Ogre 2 stream 2's on Prisoner the other night and he was unloading full clips into Royal 2 and not killing him. The networking for the game seemed so bad that I can't take any stand out clips or stats posted that seriously right now. Maybe dedi's will make it better.

So I was at an EBGames earlier today, the reason why is unimportant, and while speaking to the worker there, he mentioned that they knew of the issues currentlt affecting the game and that they've been warning every person buying it that updates are needed, matchmaking isn't working. I'd imagine this will naturally also lead to a loss of sales if people are hesitant to buy now.

How will they even know, say 2 weeks from now, that hey, matchmaking is fixed, you can buy it now.

Multi million dollar advertising campaign for a content update. There's a first for everything.

Nirvana

Halo 2 was dumbed down compared to Halo 1 in both campaign and multiplayer.

Multiplayer is one argument, but I'd disagree with campaign. I'm sure the argument will be that Halo CE had more open environments that encouraged exploration and therefore increased the likelihood of people getting lost/frustrated in some way. In reality, Halo 2 had no reliance on waypoints to get you where you needed to go, whereas Halo CE utilised waypoints more frequently to point new players towards objectives.

Also the sandbox was increased in Halo 2, and although you mainly use the BR/Carbine throughout, precision weapons generally have the opposite effect as far as 'dumbing down' gameplay, since you have to place your shots better. Ammo is also less abundant in Halo 2, whereas in CE you can basically spray and pray with the AR the entire game on easy/normal and never run out of ammo.

More importantly, the story of Halo 2 is much more developed and complicated, with shifting perspectives between the Chief/Arby and with overall more intricate storytelling, whereas CE was fairly straightforward in terms of narrative.

Multiplayer I can kind of see where you're coming from, but since Halo 2 was so much more accessible to the average person, that is, people who don't have the means to set up large scale LAN events with their friends, or who aren't passionate enough about playing the game to lug their equipment to a buddy's house, I think it can be perceived as being 'dumbed down' when really it is just a case of mainstream popularity causing gameplay mechanics to be more widely known and therefore everyone to be on a more level playing field. The skill gap between CE veterans and newer players is bound to feel much larger since you had to really invested to get to a high level in PVP, which most people weren't; it's a lot more artificial than people make out.

So I'm heading off to the States on Tuesday for a little over a month. Having only played one MM game and about 10 custom games. Hopefully the game is fixed by the time I come back.

Yo, put me in the boat that enjoys CE MP the most.

Also I still think it looks the best artistically, all the maps have a sense of belonging missing in the sequels post H2.

FyreWulff

Well that's nothing I ever expected to see as a gametype, wonder why that happened?

Well, when you're getting stuff like games ending after 15 kills, games with no time limit and no score limit, games with 3 minute timers.. either someone accidentally deployed a test hopper as the real one.. or the hoppers (maybe even the clients?) are accidentally flipping bits in the gametype files, corrupting them, and loading incorrect settings.

Forge can actually be put in matchmaking ever since Halo 3, but of course it never happened because it makes zero sense. It's basically a gametype that invokes the Forge toolset. There was even a mod for Halo 3 where you could play FFA Forge - the built in one is just set to be teams only permanently. So that's why it can potentially show up if the game has decided to go into "wildcard, bitches" mode.

m23

Screw it. I'm marathoning through this Halo 4 campaign tonight.

Maybe I'll grow to like it

Lol I took the time to beat it solo legendary while matchmaking was still down. I'm doing the other campaigns in coop though.

Visually, 4 looks amazing. I did notice a lot of frame rate drops though.

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
Visually, 4 looks amazing. I did notice a lot of frame rate drops though.
Even though i'm more or less objectively wrong, I thought halo 2 anniversary looked a lot better.

Screw it. I'm marathoning through this Halo 4 campaign tonight.
Maybe I'll grow to like it
I like Halo 4's story, I actually watched the cutscenes for fun a few weeks ago, but I only enjoy the maps of half of the limited number of missions, and Prometheans are pretty awful enemies.

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
Game just crashed and I lost my checkpoint, /sigh

114408-Fuck-Everything-gif-Imgur-fuck-nP75.gif
My friend and I were playing CEA today, game crashed after the end cutscene on the maw, getting rid of all our progress. Twice.
Lucky for me I got my achievements the second time, but my friend didn't. Haven't heard him rage like that in a long time.

We need a Forge variant where the Monitor is the Oddball. Spartans can temporarily down it with EMPs, and holding the Monitor earns you points. It'd be like a weird Juggernaut / VIP hybrid.

Seems like a map JC would enjoy.

Muhahahhahaha.

Muhahahha.

Dude,
you really need to...

Omni

Anyone else who has played Halo 4 notice a difference with the railgun?

I swear it takes at least two seconds longer to charge up now. It's quite jarring. I wonder if it's just me though

Mistel

Banned
Well, when you're getting stuff like games ending after 15 kills, games with no time limit and no score limit, games with 3 minute timers.. either someone accidentally deployed a test hopper as the real one.. or the hoppers (maybe even the clients?) are accidentally flipping bits in the gametype files, corrupting them, and loading incorrect settings.
It'll be interesting to find out what is causing it as like you say it could just be a test hopper or it could game types themselves being altered, that could be the case if it's displaying the wrong information as it loads up.

klodeckel

Banned
Something something on Halo 5 Beta:

Before the highly anticipated release of "Halo 5: Guardians" in 2015, 343 Studio will release the game's beta version in December so that the game developers can fix any issues as early as possible, head developer Josh Holmes said.
Holmes said that they want to avoid the usual early problems encountered by new title releases, such as weapon imbalances and map exploits.
"We are at an early enough stage where we can listen to weapon tuning feedback, the new abilities is something we are very interested in also because they're new," the game developer said.

He also pointed out that the new weapons will be added into the main gameplay of "Halo," which is why they want to prioritize the fine tuning of these additional contents.
"We fully expect that we've missed something maybe to do with the new abilities, so we can react to that. We are all ears at the moment and we are able to do quite a few things, especially on the tweaking side of things," Holmes also shared.

Meanwhile, creative director Tim Longo teased that there is another planned mode included in the "Halo 5" beta that is still being kept as a secret.

Longo mentioned that there still lots of room for modifying the game as of the moment.
"Some of the new modes we are testing, like Breakout and another new mode that we are not talking about at this point, will add something new to the game and we're hoping to get feedback on. I think there's a lot of things that we can get feedback on and react to," the game's creative director said.

The Xbox One-exclusive "Halo 5: Guardians" beta is scheduled to run starting Dec. 29 until Jan. 18. The trial game can be accessed by purchasing the newly released "Halo: The Master Chief Collection" which was distributed in stores beginning Nov. 11.
"Halo: The Master Chief Collection" includes the remastered "Halo 2" version for next-generation consoles.

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/halo.5.guardians.beta.updates.343.studio.execs/43023.htm
PLEASE BE EPIC TEAM BATTLE!

I'm really hoping for a big team battle akin to Battlefield as well, would be pretty amazing to see big battlefields in the Halo universe with Halo's gameplay. It could be a giant cluster-fuck as well, but it has the potential to be a lot of fun.

Anyone else who has played Halo 4 notice a difference with the railgun?

I swear it takes at least two seconds longer to charge up now. It's quite jarring. I wonder if it's just me though
Nope, I noticed this too, you can actually read the meter on it though and release it, it's different from how it works in multiplayer I think.

Ein Bear

Locke's voice acting in these terminals really is shit-tier. Keith David is destroying him.

I don't really get why they're bothering with him. If they wanted a second, playable protagonist for Halo 5, you've got the Arbiter right there.

Okay, so here's a thought: in addition to traditional BTB, there's another mode with:

-16 players per side
-AI filler a la Titanfall
-A 2-way Invasion setup (2 fortresses facing each other, taking down the enemy fortress requires destroying parts of the base and fulfilling specific objectives)
-Heavy vehicles galore!

Ever since the update I've been having instances where I get a message saying I'm not connected to live when I try entering the multiplayer menu, even though I clearly am connected. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Okay, so here's a thought: in addition to traditional BTB, there's another mode with:

-16 players per side
-A 2-way Invasion setup (2 fortresses facing each other, taking down the enemy fortress requires destroying parts of the base and fulfilling specific objectives)
-Heavy vehicles galore!
A mode like that would definitely be awesome, aslong as classic BTB is still there of course.

jem0208

So I decided to screw around with Upload Studio and record a bunch of the trick jumps I made on my map, buuuut it won't upload :(

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

-16 players per side
-Heavy vehicles galore!
I like everything but the AI filler. That shit is so annoying in Titanfall.

Played through The Arbiter and part of The Oracle today on Heroic. Wasn't too bad.

Found the terminal for Oracle, but neither of the skulls were on either level. They just were not there. I reverted to the last checkpoint several times and no dice.

It's simple. Nerf Sprint. And the latter will follow.

My suggestion with the already added feature that your shields will not regenerate while Sprinting. Why not half the regen speed while sprinting and add the halo 4 feature that when taking damage during Sprint you slow down?

That way, you'll have 50% slow down and 50% regen during Sprint.
This should help with the over zealous speed fest going on in the Beta. Ppl shouldn't die so ridiculously fast in that build either. Ground Pound should only be strong enough to take out shields and/or kill any nearby enemies with already weakened shields or perhaps better no shields at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom