• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To those having game saves issues, I honestly think the fix is to go into your system > power settings and disable instant on. I am the only one on this forum to my knowledge who has NEVER experienced a glitch related to SP. Never have I had my saves wiped out or the game crash during SP.

I am aware that one of the issues related to preloading the game was actually due to instant on triggering a re queue of the DL, where as people who used energy saver like me had 0 issues with the pre load.

I recommend anyone having SP issues to simply switch your console to energy saver. I believe that since the console does a full boot & clear of the cache has something to do with preventing the SP glitches to run rampant.

I have played A LOT of SP so far almost done with solo h3 legendary(already done ce/2) and I haven't had one sp crash or save issue.

Huh, interesting theory. I'll try it.

jem0208

After that Halo thread on gaming-side (the writing one), I'm starting to wonder if (halo 5: guardians speculation / spoilers?)
the Didact is going to somehow try and combine the Halo Array with Composer tech, meaning he'd not only kill all organic life in the galaxy, but archive and weaponize it.

If that were to happen, it would be awesome.

However, if it were the focus of the story, and again the mission was to stop a Halo ring from firing; I think it would be a very cool twist if the Chief was to fail. Imagine Halo 5 ending with the Chief just managing to escape the blast of a single ring. It would be an excellent set up for the sequel as well. The firing composes a small section of the galaxy and now the Didact has a massive army.

Isn't the Didact perma-dead? Like, didn't they kill him in a comic or something?
That sounds like a thing they would do, though.
They did not. It was something in line of Halo 4. It is not known if he died from that, but he could still be alive.

However, if it were the focus of the story, and again the mission was to stop a Halo ring from firing; I think it would be a very cool twist if the Chief was to fail. Imagine Halo 5 ending with the Chief just managing to escape the blast of a single ring. It would be an excellent set up for the sequel as well. The firing composes a small section of the galaxy and now the Didact has a massive army.
That would be a pretty bold move and I would really like it. Holy shit. I am just to jump into a next-gen Halo. Halo 2 Anniversary's level on Delta Halo are so pretty.

Overdoziz

Banned
I'm making a big team battle map that's a box canyon with a fissure in the middle, there's a middle structure that controls a bridge that goes over the fissure. At the start, there will be scorpion on the bridge, so if your team wins the race to the tank and control panel you get the tank, but the other team could despawn the bridge, causing the tank and anyone on the bridge to fall into the fissure and die. I haven't made the bases yet, but I think I'm going to make them Timberlands/Sidewinder style.
How do you make things despawn? I've been able to items spawn with the switches but not that.

darthbob

Isn't the Didact perma-dead? Like, didn't they kill him in a comic or something?
That sounds like a thing they would do, though.

Spoilers obv.

Ur-Didact got composed and his physical form destroyed. He still 'lives' on as a disembodied consciousness in a machine. IsoDidact is dead too.

-Ryn

Banned
Spoilers obv.

Ur-Didact got composed and his physical form destroyed. He still 'lives' on as a disembodied consciousness in a machine. IsoDidact is dead too.
More spoiler conversation

So IsoDidact was Bornstellar right? So wait he's dead? No coming back?

Ramirez

To those having game saves issues, I honestly think the fix is to go into your system > power settings and disable instant on. I am the only one on this forum to my knowledge who has NEVER experienced a glitch related to SP. Never have I had my saves wiped out or the game crash during SP.

I am aware that one of the issues related to preloading the game was actually due to instant on triggering a re queue of the DL, where as people who used energy saver like me had 0 issues with the pre load.

I recommend anyone having SP issues to simply switch your console to energy saver. I believe that since the console does a full boot & clear of the cache has something to do with preventing the SP glitches to run rampant.

I have played A LOT of SP so far almost done with solo h3 legendary(already done ce/2) and I haven't had one sp crash or save issue.

Yea, I have it set to this and never get SP crashes.

darthbob

More spoiler conversation

So IsoDidact was Bornstellar right? So wait he's dead? No coming back?

Do we actually know is IsoDidact dead?

I feel bad for jumping the gun on this. So Bornstellar/IsoDidact isn't confirmed dead, he took refuge in the Ark and prior to the activation of the rings he left the galaxy, pulling a Revan. So he could totally come back at some point, 343i clearly left it open for them to bring him back for Halo 6 or whatever.

IsoDidact was Bornstellar's body, however it had the mind of the original Didact imprinted on him. Or something. Maybe.

This isn't really spoilers, unless you haven't read Cryptum which has been out for ages, but I'll tag it anyways.
Bornstellar is the IsoDidact, his body should resemble that of pre mutation Ur-Didact. The Didact consciousness in the IsoDidact body can basically control the body but it stated that he can relinquish control back to the Bornstellar consciousness. I'm not really buying the idea that there are two consciousnesses in the body, but I can rationalize that there are two distinct personalities.

How do you make things despawn? I've been able to items spawn with the switches but not that.

I'm actually trying to figure this out, I can't even get the switches to spawn things, I have them switched to broadcast channel 1 and the bridge to spawn channel 1, but it doesn't work. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. There's an option to have the bridge despawn in scripting when the activator isn't being used, but that starts the game with the bridge de-spawned which isn't what I want.

So yeah, thanks to some coolness, I bought an Xbox One yesterday. "Jump in" and all that jazz.

Just finished the Pillar of Autumn, now playing Requiem.
Not surprising or new, but 60fps.. it really is something.

HTupolev

Just tried it. Switched to power save, cycled the Xbone. H2A save failures still occur.

Yea, I have it set to this and never get SP crashes.

Success confirmation!

EnergySaverMasterRace ლ(╹◡╹ლ)

EDIT:

Just tried it. Switched to power save, cycled the Xbone. H2A save failures still occur.

MasterRace potentially derailed.

It can't just be a coincidence that me & Ram have NEVER had a crash since launch after hours of play.. the glitch cant be rare since so many complain about it happening. maybe you have to completely restart your playthrough to stop the crashes. since technically the instance that became corrupted & keeps crashing is still on your current playthrough.

I would say select a new mission from h2a so it wipes your old progress then see if it still crashes.

HTupolev

Success confirmation!

EnergySaverMasterRace ლ(╹◡╹ლ)

EDIT:

MasterRace potentially derailed.

It can't just be a coincidence that me & Ram have NEVER had a crash since launch after hours of play.. the glitch cant be rare since so many complain about it happening. maybe you have to completely restart your playthrough to stop the crashes. since technically the instance that became corrupted & keeps crashing is still on your current playthrough.

I would say select a new mission from h2a so it wipes your old progress then see if it still crashes.
I did select a new mission when I started testing it out.

Also, it's not "crashing" per se; it's simply loading the start of a level when your save should be in the middle of the level.

I was screwing around on my map and decided to make a quick clip of a few of the trick jumps that you can do:

http://xboxclips.com/video.php?uid=...n Li&vid=f32255f2-7d43-47ec-8fa3-12be4254af1e

...yeah that map looks fun.

Wonder when 343 will start integrating forge maps in or whether they will even do it. There are already so many darn maps in the game. Although Halo 2A playlist could use a few more maps with the Halo 2 forge.

So yeah, thanks to some coolness, I bought an Xbox One yesterday. "Jump in" and all that jazz.

iSm7F4Z9pNfTk.gif

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

We need to get games together.

Wonder what Irish co-op is like? Irish-American co-op is a worse joke than ever though. Sub 15fps and nobody laughing.

Raide

Wonder when 343 will start integrating forge maps in or whether they will even do it. There are already so many darn maps in the game. Although Halo 2A playlist could use a few more maps with the Halo 2 forge.

Last time they put them in it was via votes for the best maps and they added them. Personally I think Bungie sold the Forge really short when they made most maps look identical. Almost like they did not actually want the community to make great maps and keep that game running. Hope they change that focus for H5.

Karl2177

I'm actually trying to figure this out, I can't even get the switches to spawn things, I have them switched to broadcast channel 1 and the bridge to spawn channel 1, but it doesn't work. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. There's an option to have the bridge despawn in scripting when the activator isn't being used, but that starts the game with the bridge de-spawned which isn't what I want.

I haven't figured it out either. Then again, my switches fill up the progress bar about halfway and pulls up my weapon, so no scripting works on my end.

jem0208

I like it!

Fast paced, and lost of ways to move around the map. Will download.

Thanks guys :3

I've put it in my fileshare if you want to play around with it (GT is il Meanbean li btw). Spawns and weapon placements probably suck btw, haven't had a chance to test them out and balance them.

Karl2177

Cyren just tweeted this. I laughed.

B2mbiK1CAAAeGBt.jpg

I've put it in my fileshare if you want to play around with it (GT is il Meanbean li btw). Spawns and weapon placements probably suck btw, haven't had a chance to test them out and balance them.

That rocket is going to be a pain in the ass. There's a lot of walkways too. I'll reserve full judgment until I play it though. Also, you can't access files from someone's file share unless they are online AND mutual friends on XBL.

Raide

Will download it shortly.

I am rubbish with spawns and weapons. Its the last thing I do and I really should plan ahead more.

jem0208

That rocket is going to be a pain in the ass. There's a lot of walkways too. I'll reserve full judgment until I play it though. Also, you can't access files from someone's file share unless they are online AND mutual friends on XBL.

Yeah, it could well be. Like I said I suck at weapon placement, I just chucked a bunch of stuff down in interesting spots for this map. There are 2 snipers, 2 shotguns and a rocket so there's probably a few too many power weapons :p

It's not that filled with walkways, the direct path from base to base is quite wide open and the central areas have a quite a bit of space to move around in. There's much more room than something like Lockout or Guardian.

Here's an overview picture:

Mn7ibmS.jpg

This picture was from yesterday and is missing a few bits. Most noticeably the pillars I used to jump around on in my clip.

And yeah, the whole file share system is a pain in the ass. I'm online a lot though so hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult to grab :p

Will download it shortly.

I am rubbish with spawns and weapons. Its the last thing I do and I really should plan ahead more.

Yup, like I said, spawns and weapons are kinda just chucked down all over the place. Will need to playtest to see how much they need changing.

I'm definitely liking that idea. Raise the stakes majorly.

Yup, will also give the UNSC and the Covenant a real chance to work together. Which could lead to some very interesting story dynamics.

-Ryn

Banned
It's simple. Nerf Sprint. And the latter will follow.

My suggestion with the already added feature that your shields will not regenerate while Sprinting. Why not half the regen speed while sprinting and add the halo 4 feature that when taking damage during Sprint you slow down?

That way, you'll have 50% slow down and 50% regen during Sprint.
This should help with the over zealous speed fest going on in the Beta. Ppl shouldn't die so ridiculously fast in that build either. Ground Pound should only be strong enough to take out shields and/or kill any nearby enemies with already weakened shields or perhaps better no shields at all.
I don't think nerfing sprint to the point of almost uselessness is the way to go. It shouldn't actively harm you to use a certain mechanic when the trade off isn't worth it. That's unbalanced and just makes the mechanic useless. There wasn't much sprinting in the game to begin with from all the games I've seen. Mostly just at the beginning with the rush for weapons.

As for the death, are you referring to the Breakout gametype or just regular slayer?

Something something on Halo 5 Beta:

PLEASE BE EPIC TEAM BATTLE!
Okay, so here's a thought: in addition to traditional BTB, there's another mode with:

-16 players per side
-AI filler a la Titanfall
-A 2-way Invasion setup (2 fortresses facing each other, taking down the enemy fortress requires destroying parts of the base and fulfilling specific objectives)
-Heavy vehicles galore!
YES PLEASE
A return of Invasion with a twist is a must. Or just straight up Invasion. Either way.

I'm definitely liking that idea. Raise the stakes majorly.

I feel bad for jumping the gun on this. So Bornstellar/IsoDidact isn't confirmed dead, he took refuge in the Ark and prior to the activation of the rings he left the galaxy, pulling a Revan. So he could totally come back at some point, 343i clearly left it open for them to bring him back for Halo 6 or whatever.

This isn't really spoilers, unless you haven't read Cryptum which has been out for ages, but I'll tag it anyways.
Bornstellar is the IsoDidact, his body should resemble that of pre mutation Ur-Didact. The Didact consciousness in the IsoDidact body can basically control the body but it stated that he can relinquish control back to the Bornstellar consciousness. I'm not really buying the idea that there are two consciousnesses in the body, but I can rationalize that there are two distinct personalities.
Oh okay gotcha. Well in that case
I'm really looking forward to seeing how they handle this. Hell I wonder if there are even more Forerunners outside the Galaxy with him. There's a lot of potential here.

Didact stuff again
I really kinda hope that Bornstellar's consciousness returns. I liked Bornstellar. I hate body snatchers. Though in this case I suppose the body snatcher can be benevolent. Still though. I liked Bornstellar.

wwm0nkey

Cyren just tweeted this. I laughed.

B2mbiK1CAAAeGBt.jpg

Halo on PC confirmed :p

darthbob

I'm really looking forward to seeing how they handle this. Hell I wonder if there are even more Forerunners outside the Galaxy with him. There's a lot of potential here.

Didact stuff again
I really kinda hope that Bornstellar's consciousness returns. I liked Bornstellar. I hate body snatchers. Though in this case I suppose the body snatcher can be benevolent. Still though. I liked Bornstellar.

I wouldn't be surprised if Guilty Spark's journey to find the Librarian leads him to Bornstellar. These sorts of unfinished plot points are going to lead into Halo 6 to some extent I'm guessing. Halo 5 sounds like it's gonna be a Locke/Arbiter bro down.

Yeah, it could well be. Like I said I suck at weapon placement, I just chucked a bunch of stuff down in interesting spots for this map. There are 2 snipers, 2 shotguns and a rocket so there's probably a few too many power weapons :p

It's not that filled with walkways, the direct path from base to base is quite wide open and the central areas have a quite a bit of space to move around in. There's much more room than something like Lockout or Guardian.

Here's an overview picture:

Mn7ibmS.jpg

This picture was from yesterday and is missing a few bits. Most noticeably the pillars I used to jump around on in my clip.

And yeah, the whole file share system is a pain in the ass. I'm online a lot though so hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult to grab :p

Yup, like I said, spawns and weapons are kinda just chucked down all over the place. Will need to playtest to see how much they need changing.

Yup, will also give the UNSC and the Covenant a real chance to work together. Which could lead to some very interesting story dynamics.

Looks pretty rad. Gonna have to give it a try.

I don't think nerfing sprint to the point of almost uselessness is the way to go. It shouldn't actively harm you to use a certain mechanic when the trade off isn't worth it. That's unbalanced and just makes the mechanic useless. There wasn't much sprinting in the game to begin with from all the games I've seen. Mostly just at the beginning with the rush for weapons.
That's why i specifically said 50% not 100% slow down for Sprint. If it were above 50% slow down then it would probably make sprint useless.

If you say you disagree with my suggestion then what's a better idea to fix this issue regarding the already unbalanced game. It's too fast and ppl dying to quickly.

Vico

I'm currently watching Nightfall through Halo Channel, and the experience is pretty freaking cool.

It's really great to be able to read more stuff on what's happening in the scene through the encyclopedia. Currently reading the background of the
Yohnet, the new alien race
which is central to the first episode.

From eurogamer:
Would you say the game is more lethal than Halo 4? Perhaps a bit faster paced?

Josh Holmes: Breakout is definitely more lethal because the tuning in that mode is different. But what we found in Slayer is the lethality is pretty on-par. When you first start playing and you run around with sprint and you're not taking the time to recharge your shields, you're going to die a lot more quickly. As you learn the game and you start to pull back in those situations, the lethality is on a par.

Tim Longo: We've intentionally tried to maintain Halo lethality in Slayer mode. Breakout is separate. That's why all those counter-balances are in there. De-scoping is an important part of that. The damage differentiation from Smart Scope and hip-fire isn't that much, and in some cases not at all. It's more just the zoom and some of the extra information. You can still move. That's the signature of Halo lethality. You need to keep that for Slayer and all the other new modes to make sure it's balanced.
What?

EDIT:
Maybe some weapons zoomed in increase damage? Light rifle did this, so maybe more weapons will act similar.
Good point, but hopefully it's as obvious as that instead of the SMG killing in fewer bullets. The thing that gets me though is the "and in some cases not at all."

aj1467

Didact stuff again

well we know Chant To Green and a handful of other Forerunner were still alive with Bornstellar during the reseeding of Earth. Maybe they made babbies when they left the Galaxy

Madness

People have said automatics have better aim/spread when scoped in. It's pretty much ADS at this point for those types of guns, visual ADS for guns like the DMR/BR. The sad thing is, it provides zero added benefit to any Halo fan to have that massive scope on the DMR than what was before. It's simple fan service to a vocal minority I am certain won't play beyond the first month. Going to give them the benefit of the doubt though.

Guys like Greenskull I tend to disagree with because he said the same stuff verbatim about the things in halo 4 and how we're all dinosaur tryhards who can't tolerate change. He was wrong then, two years later, same situation and again being asked to wait and see.

Edit: Mastrbiggy, can you answer please, taking into account your limited time with the game. Has this smart scope change been a net positive to the series, or do you feel the original click/zoom worked/sufficed? Not asking whether you can live with it, but if you actually feel the scope/firing is better than what came before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom