• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I can see it being annoying, but I think it would be helpful if you are in a game with randoms who don't have mics (which happens a lot these days.) I would definitely want a option to turn it off, and that the useless dialogue (like "good kill") was removed, but I don't see basic callouts hurting that much.

Flag taken, flag stolen, hill taken, hill contested, etc, those are fine, its the other stuff that seemed a bit nauseating.

Second match ever. Uneven teams again, with myself on the 3 player team. Got absolutely slaughtered. Then the game crashed after the match ended.

Was this fucking tested at all?

I was playing Damnation on CE and to my surprise, the teleporters were the correct ones from the Xbox version.

It's kind of odd how that particular map was the right ones while Blood Gulch's were from the PC version hopefully they put the correct ones on all the maps.

New Edit: on second thought it does look different so never mind.

Madness

Well everyone I know who took a day or two off work went back today. No point not earning money when it doesn't seem like it'll get fixed any time soon.

Just don't understand how it could release like this. All these streamers and reviewers didn't pick up on these things? Should have noticed a problem when all the people in new Zealand, Australia, and Europe were having trouble hours before the NA launch.

After watching that, I have to say Halo 5 looks awesome.

Why did they make the pistol so ugly? Why can't we have dat shiny glistening piece of sexiness anymore? =(

In fact I think the new weapon designs are pretty unappealing. I know it sounds funny, but it actually affects the enjoyment of the gameplay. If it's ugly, it will be a continual eyesore.. Even the spartan hand and thumbs seem too large... looks ridiculous lol

The BR looks so awkward as well. Just ugly, overly edgy and angular looking guns. Halo always had awesome looking guns, but this doesn't catch my eye.

Anyone else think the same?

willow ve

People saying things like "as long as it's on a toggle it's ok" clearly never played Halo 4 where not a single fucking thing is on a toggle.

Wanna be able to drop the flag? nope
Wanna turn off white text? nope
Wanna change medal placement? nope
Wanna disable throwing the oddball? nope

I really hope they don't make that mistake again in regard to Halo 5. Put these options on a toggle so they can be disabled in gametype settings and don't require modded games and/or title updates to switch.

The new "Sword" is also way too big... takes up a bunch of your screen space.

Anyone have footage of the sword being used with "Smart Scope" - rumour is that it lunges farther when zoomed in.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Second match ever. Uneven teams again, with myself on the 3 player team. Got absolutely slaughtered. Then the game crashed after the match ended.

Was this fucking tested at all?

Of course. It's difficult to do broad scale testing which is what a lot of open beta tests are for.

You can sim, but that doesn't replicate regular operations.

That's why when online games launch, there can be one thing that just brings everything down.

A good chunk of the crashes may even be a result from the networking side, too.

People may not realize that the second everything went to shit, hundreds of engineers were summoned to fix it. Trying to find out if it's XBL, if it's Azure (hardware or software), if it's the Xbox APIs/OS, if it's the game code and how to fix it

You can't plan for every potential failure. But you can react as quickly as possible, fix it quickly as possible and learn from those errors and then avoid those issues in the future.

Of course. It's difficult to do broad scale testing which is what a lot of open beta tests are for.

You can sim, but that doesn't replicate regular operations.

That's why when online games launch, there can be one thing that just brings everything down.

A good chunk of the crashes may even be a result from the networking side, too.

People may not realize that the second everything went to shit, hundreds of engineers were summoned to fix it. Trying to find out if it's XBL, if it's Azure (hardware or software), if it's the Xbox APIs/OS, if it's the game code and how to fix it

You can't plan for every potential failure. But you can react as quickly as possible, fix it quickly as possible and learn from those errors and then avoid those issues in the future.

Of course, but it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence when simple issues that should have been found easily have been totally missed. Such as the '-1th' or '-1nd' or whatever leaderboard position, the 'BTB 8v8 action....12 players' mistake and so on. Those things are nowhere near as important as the game breaking bugs, but they're such simple mistakes that I'm amazed actually slipped through.

It feels like the game should have had a lot longer time in development, if it's this much of a mess at launch. I can't even reliably play some custom games without the game freezing.

11.12.14 - 11:10 AM PST Update
Next update coming: 11.12 - 5 PM PST

We have deployed a number of server updates to help improve matchmaking. These updates should expedite wait times and allow you to find matches faster and easier. We are actively monitoring data for wait times and will continue to modify as necessary.
Additionally, we are monitoring all non-matchmaking feedback, and still targeting another release for this weekend. Please continue to use the support forums to report and discuss issues. We will continue to work until issues are resolved, and thank you for your continued patience. Please stay tuned to this thread for regular updates.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...on/e024f78f-6022-4a49-99ea-67562ec5b4ca/posts

darthbob

I was playing Damnation on CE and to my surprise, the teleporters were the correct ones from the Xbox version.

It's kind of odd how that particular map was the right ones while Blood Gulch's were from the PC version hopefully they put the correct ones on all the maps.

Do you mean that the shader was the one that the original Xbox used for H1?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Of course, but it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence when simple issues that should have been found easily have been totally missed. Such as the '-1th' or '-1nd' or whatever leaderboard position, the 'BTB 8v8 action....12 players' mistake and so on. Those things are nowhere near as important as the game breaking bugs, but they're such simple mistakes that I'm amazed actually slipped through.

It feels like the game should have had a lot longer time in development, if it's this much of a mess at launch. I can't even reliably play some custom games without the game freezing.

Again, freezing may be a result of networking. We'll have to see how it plays out.

Also should mention the amount of QA that they'd have to do. They'd find bugs which they don't want to patch due to a design decision (trying to ensure old bugs moved forward) imagine doing QA where you have to test bugs in old games to make sure they don't interfere with the master interface or code. Nightmarish stuff testing bugs as features.

belushy

Banned
Nah that confirms Ryan M sucks at it.

All the pros confirm the aiming feels like Halo but with way less auto-aim. More skill based than H2-H3 (keep in mind, they only played 6-7 games though).

Good point, the other guy says he didn't have that aiming problem.

All the pros confirm the aiming feels like Halo but with way less auto-aim. More skill based than H2-H3 (keep in mind, they only played 6-7 games though).

This is probably the part I'm most interested in. The aiming skill gap has been pretty minimal ever since H2 hit, I'm really curious to see how reintroducing it changes things.

Granted, I can't hit anything regardless, but still. Curious.

Impala26

Among those who have played H2A campaign...

Has anyone noticed AI issues? Specifically AI-related issues. There are times where my AI teammates flat out stand in place and don't follow me.

Also, is the much quieter H2 Classic music accurate or is this a sound design oversight? Especially noticed this for the Incubus track that plays during the Arbiter Banshee section on Heretic.

klodeckel

Banned
Why did they make the pistol so ugly? Why can't we have dat shiny glistening piece of sexiness anymore? =(

In fact I think the new weapon designs are pretty unappealing. I know it sounds funny, but it actually affects the enjoyment of the gameplay. If it's ugly, it will be a continual eyesore.. Even the spartan hand and thumbs seem too large... looks ridiculous lol

The BR looks so awkward as well. Just ugly, overly edgy and angular looking guns. Halo always had awesome looking guns, but this doesn't catch my eye.

Anyone else think the same?

My opinion:
BR --> not so sexy / too stylish - I like the display, but not that thing on top of it
AR --> best AR in any Halo yet
Pistol --> not so sexy / too small/dark

The spawns in CE are comical, am I missing something?
Nope, not missing anything. You can control them if you understand how they work, to an extent, but I don't see spawns as too much of a problem considering:
CE spawns have always been comical as fuck. The defense is usually "you have the pistol you can defend yourself"
This, although you mean it as a joke. As mentioned previously, spawns can get crazy in FFA or 4v4+. The gameplay is so fun and fierce that it hasn't really been seen as too much of a problem IMO.
Tried joining your shit last night, btw. But it kicked me after like 5 seconds :/
Yeah I saw that ;'[ -- It's why I haven't really streamed or been pushing for Custom Games yet. I feel bad for BigEvilTurtle who joined my chat, heard everyone laughing/crying, but could not connect to the game ;'[

Saw they updated it, tried to find a match and cancelled after waiting for three minutes.

Have to go to work now. I have four(possibly six) hours where I have nothing planned tomorrow. I really, really hope it's fixed by then.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Saw they updated it, tried to find a match and cancelled after waiting for three minutes.

Have to go to work now. I have four(possibly six) hours where I have nothing planned tomorrow. I really, really hope it's fixed by then.
There's no way it'll be fixed. There's just way too many issues. It might be better, though.

The entire lobby/party system is broke as shit, Post game my party gets split, I can't keep a party together when moving between lobbies. Then when you do get a party sorted it takes way over 10 mins for a game to start. You may or may not be in that game when it starts and if you're lucky enough to make it in the game you risk at best uneven games and at work the game crashing to dash or not loading.

Jesus

darthbob

I went back and looked at and it looks similar but ultimately is different with a the Xbox version being a darker green so never mind that post.

Could you take a pic?

Here's what it looks like on HPC.

jJOZLvJ.jpg

Did the confirm in video?
Or just over twitter would love to some of their impression vids..

Onikaan

IHaveAnIce

Sounds familiar.

Ivory tower is such a shit map... It shows only the worst of Halo 2

Haha dude! I knew it sounded familiar. Sorry about the n00b combo kill there.

You were in that Halo 2 game? Laggy as fuck on Ivory tower it was a dream come true

Yep. Don't think I've had a classic Halo 2 game without lag. Game froze for me in the lobby after that match.

Again, freezing may be a result of networking. We'll have to see how it plays out.

Also should mention the amount of QA that they'd have to do. They'd find bugs which they don't want to patch due to a design decision (trying to ensure old bugs moved forward) imagine doing QA where you have to test bugs in old games to make sure they don't interfere with the master interface or code. Nightmarish stuff testing bugs as features.

I get that it must be difficult to test multiple (especially the older) games, but the state the game is in right now is embarrassing. I just hope they can fix this soon, whatever the reason for it.

matthieuC

Soooo I think it'd be cool if 343 gave us like a remastered map or two for free to make up for this poor launch. It'd make me a little less frustrated, and probably a lot of others too.

blinkz

Soooo I think it'd be cool if 343 gave us like a remastered map or two for free to make up for this poor launch. It'd make me a little less frustrated, and probably a lot of others too.

One can only wish, having so much fun on the new maps but there is only so much I can play warlord br's before I go insane.

daedalius

IGN's thoughts on h5 Pre-beta

Nothing really new, just reaffirms that Crossfire is a forge map and that aiming at times felt like molasses, even at 10 sens.

I'll trust mastrbiggy over the clowns at IGN.

He said the aiming and movement felt great.

Got a CE BTB game of KOTH on hang em high, CE games evidently just go on forever. dude on my team had like 60 kills and I had 44. Pistol feels inconsistent as hell though.

i can find games in h2 classic in about a minute. (2 games so far, by myself)

Tried to do H2A, BTB waited 4 minutes each, got nothing.

gonna try h2 one more time

edit: Attempt #1: 3:00 with Halo 2 classic, no match
Attempt #2: After 1:20 with Halo 2 classic, found a 5v5 match

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom