• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirvana

Another bug I forgot to report. In Regret when the Hunters get dropped off by the Phantom, they can glitch out and just not spawn, the Phantom disappears and it skips to the next part. This may have been a glitch from the original Halo 2, but I don't recall it ever happening to me in the past. This was on heroic.

TheOddOne

I'll be dissapointed if they don't raise the player cap, it's been 16 for more than a decade.

Morse code me if wrong ;p
ibqf87iOtaTsmd.png

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Convientently the MCC patch dropping on Friday will give me barely any time to play proper multiplayer due to the fact I'm leaving for vacation to the in-laws Saturday morning bright and early at 7AM. My inlaws have very limited internet data, so I'll be stuck with offline Xbox One for a week. Bravo!

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Weird thing happened last night with my Xbox One.

I powered it on and my friends list wouldn't come up nor would my apps/games menu load up. I was connected to XBL though. Then when I did a Detailed Network Stats test, it was showing a download speed of 5.52Mbps with an upload speed of 11.49Mbps.

I did a comcast speed test and the following results were: download speed of 22.91Mbps and upload speed of 12.18Mbps.

WTF???

I did a hard reset of my Xbox One, ran the detailed network stats again several times, and it kept coming up with speeds of less than 5Mbps.

My wife's PC and my PC were showing the speed we were suppose to be getting which was 25Mbps.

Then of course later I notice on the Xbox Live status page it gave out those red exclamation points saying there's issues going on with social gaming and apps.

:(

Why does MSFT throttle download speeds on Xbox Ones?

Sephzilla

So if they're adding in sprinting, wall grabbing, and thrusters in order to kick up movement speed around maps only to make the maps bigger so people can't cross maps in a matter of seconds doesn't that seemingly negate some of the reasons for adding those additional movement options in the first place?

Netprints

So if they're adding in sprinting, wall grabbing, and thrusters in order to kick up movement speed around maps only to make the maps bigger so people can't cross maps in a matter of seconds doesn't that seemingly negate some of the reasons for adding those additional movement options in the first place?

Yes it does. I am trying to understand their logic.

I think you're misinterpreting. "make maps bigger to compensate for increased speed" doesn't mean "bottleneck player traversal routes so you can only go certain ways faster," it means "preserve deliberate pauses in map traversal routes while still accounting for improved locomotion options." Let's take Midship, since it's probably the easiest example. At the start of a match in Midship, players deliberately spawn within their base, and cannot jump from the opening on the second level of their spawn directly onto the center dish. This creates a perimeter-based, cyclical rush at the start of most matches as players take the ramps to their immediate left or right into the center halls before running onto center dish. However, if you were to increase movement speed and jump height, as well as allow for additional movement options that exponentially increase the distance you can travel in a single bound, you might be able to hop from spawn straight to top mid's dish, thus giving you a better chance at obtaining the Sword. This directly conflicts with the intended map flow, and suddenly the majority of the map becomes obsolete as players make direct vectors from spawn to top mid. There are countless other examples of intentional movement / objective restriction or "look, don't touch" landmarks in Halo maps. When 343 is making the maps bigger to account for improved movement options, this is what they're talking about - Midship isn't getting bigger to "level out" the time to travel distance due to increased speed, and we've seen evidence of this with people Thrusting out of spawn to get to alcoves and halls more quickly. However, the center dish being inaccessible without traveling to either second-level "mid hall" is a deliberate design choice, and as such it's being preserved with the increased scale.

This is also why major complaints regarding tools like Jetpack arose, what with the improved vertical movement breaking core "look, don't touch" design choices on maps that were generally designed to account for just a single jump.

Sephzilla

I think you're misinterpreting. "make maps bigger to compensate for increased speed" doesn't mean "bottleneck player traversal routes so you can only go certain ways faster," it means "preserve deliberate pauses in map traversal routes while still accounting for improved locomotion options." Let's take Midship, since it's probably the easiest example. At the start of a match in Midship, players deliberately spawn within their base, and cannot jump from the opening on the second level of their spawn directly onto the center dish. This creates a perimeter-based, cyclical rush at the start of most matches as players take the ramps to their immediate left or right into the center halls before running onto center dish. However, if you were to increase movement speed and jump height, as well as allow for additional movement options that exponentially increase the distance you can travel in a single bound, you might be able to hop from spawn straight to top mid's dish, thus giving you a better chance at obtaining the Sword. This directly conflicts with the intended map flow, and suddenly the majority of the map becomes obsolete as players make direct vectors from spawn to top mid. There are countless other examples of intentional movement / objective restriction or "look, don't touch" landmarks in Halo maps. When 343 is making the maps bigger to account for improved movement options, this is what they're talking about - Midship isn't getting bigger to "level out" the time to travel distance due to increased speed, and we've seen evidence of this with people Thrusting out of spawn to get to alcoves and halls more quickly. However, the center dish being inaccessible without traveling to either second-level "mid hall" is a deliberate design choice, and as such it's being preserved with the increased scale.

This is also why major complaints regarding tools like Jetpack arose, what with the improved vertical movement breaking core "look, don't touch" design choices on maps that were generally designed to account for just a single jump.

nice post!

Caja 117

I dont mind maps getting bigger because of sprint, but is how its going to affect CTF, as it has done in the past two Halo games.

About Ground pound, does anyone here remember Halo 4 Boltshot when Halo 4 was only shown in conventions? how it was never a problem because players didnt exploit this (friendly matches)? right now you are not seen an abuse of this in friendly matches, but if this is an Insta Kill ability, people will find way to abuse it, even if they die in the process. and BTW, this is not remotely similar to Assassinations, as far as I have seen, you dont need to be on melee distance for Ground pound and it doesnt matter for Ground Pound if the opponent is aware that you are there, whereas part of why Assassination are not common is because it uses the element of surprise.

Sprint forces stupid, shallow gameplay. Since the maps are enlarged to compensate for sprint, players are forced to sprint if they want to get anywhere in a timely manner. Since sprint only works in the forward direction, it forces players to just say fuck it and risk running through a section of the map, hoping they can sprint through fast enough to live. Contrast this sprint gameplay against a player deliberately and methodically moving through an area while simultaneously watching the areas on the map that present a threat to him.

Why would we encourage shallow gameplay with sprint rather than the deeper gameplay that is created when players are able to move at full speed while aiming in any direction?

I don't know what makes me sadder, the state of Halo 5 or the fact that the community is so beaten down that they've accepted it.

Halo evolving doesn't mean ripping generic features from modern shooters so please don't give that "but Halo needs to evolve" spiel. Halo can evolve without losing its identity.

I dont mind maps getting bigger because of sprint, but is how its going to affect CTF, as it has done in the past two Halo games.

About Ground pound, does anyone here remember Halo 4 Boltshot when Halo 4 was only shown in conventions? how it was never a problem because players didnt exploit this (friendly matches)? right now you are not seen an abuse of this in friendly matches, but if this is an Insta Kill ability, people will find way to abuse it, even if they die in the process. and BTW, this is not remotely similar to Assassinations, as far as I have seen, you dont need to be on melee distance for Ground pound and it doesnt matter for Ground Pound if the opponent is aware that you are there, whereas part of why Assassination are not common is because it uses the element of surprise.

But it does matter if they know you're there, since a single boost in the right direction will get you well out of range.

Computer

One way I see ground pound really effecting the game is in a King Of The Hill match. Density Control Super Ground Pound Vibes.

Nirvana

My only issue with sprint is that you tend to become over reliant on it, not just as in 'I need to escape' but more in the sense that you use it as a general mobility tool and feel 'vulnerable' when you don't have it available. This kind of staggers map movement, and alters the flow of the game because you're stopping and starting around the map based on your sprint's cooldown.

Saganism

Banned
Stinkles never gave us an update last night... dreams of bringing me and my friends xbox's to my brothers for a weekend of Halo are diminishing...

Caja 117

But it does matter if they know you're there, since a single boost in the right direction will get you well out of range.

but people wont be boosting themselves out everytime they see someone jumping. is like saying Boltshot wasnt a problem because you could see the guy from a distance having the gun in his hands.

Mix

Is Nightfall/Halo Channel Xbone only?

Is there anyway to watch Nightfall 2 on PC?

you need to make sure you use the code that came in your MCC box on the xbox one, then when you download the Halo Channel on your Windows 8.1 device, make sure you sign in with the same email/MS account. Then it will unlock for you.

but people wont be boosting themselves out everytime they see someone jumping. is like saying Boltshot wasnt a problem because you could see the guy from a distance having the gun in his hands.

But they will be boosting when they see the reticule on the ground, or seeing them take the special hover pose in the air. It's not instant, and there are warnings.

Caja 117

But they will be boosting when they see the reticule on the ground, or seeing them take the special hover pose in the air. It's not instant, and there are warnings.

Boltshot had a warning too,( the sound), no matter how succesful is going to be, it is going to be spamed, just like it happened with Armor Lock and Boltshot.

You are giving people a one hit kill weapon from spawn, you think people wont abuse it, regardless if they fail one out of 4 times? Assassination even with the element of surprise are hard to get given you need to be on Melee range. Ground pound wont requiere this.

And your optimism is the reason why this stuff makes it to retail, people dismiss it as not that useful and that is not going to be abused, and as soon at the masses start using it, they get good at it and just use this trough the entire match. it happened before.

Tawpgun

you need to make sure you use the code that came in your MCC box on the xbox one, then when you download the Halo Channel on your Windows 8.1 device, make sure you sign in with the same email/MS account. Then it will unlock for you.

Hahahaha windows 8 device

I guess I'll watch it later when I go home.

Heh, I fuckin used and abused that thing when I got to play Halo 4 at NYCC. You could see its bullshit from a mile away. LIke most of Halo 4's issues.

Team Downer was right etc etc etc.

I just find groundpound to be silly. Why is there a shockwave? Even if they did nerf it it seems like a silly ability. I'd much rather just get some shots off.

If they want to make it less bullshit, make the charge time longer maybe, make it only kill on a DIRECT hit. No shockwave. And add some kind of an audio cue for when someone near you is using it.

They said the spartan charge wasn't a one hit kill right? I still think that ability is silly also.

Have they said if shooting people slows their sprint down?

Posted this over HaloCustoms.com but maybe some GAFer knows what map it is:
Hi everyone, I am looking for the name of a BTB forge map from Reach, my memories on the map are limited but I had lots of fun on it.

What I remember is:

The map featured both Warthogs and Revenants, gameplay focused heavily on these.
It was a big map, there was almost no natural terrain at all, map floor was mostly colliseum walls.
I think the bases featured the brace large mostly (not sure about this).
The map reminded me of Flying Shoe's Invasion map Meteora.

I know it's not much but maybe you guys can help me

Nope, map was not featured in Matchmaking and had much less verticality than Asphalt.

Caja 117

Heh, I fuckin used and abused that thing when I got to play Halo 4 at NYCC. You could see its bullshit from a mile away. LIke most of Halo 4's issues.

Team Downer was right etc etc etc.

I remember that, and I came here and saw how your observation were lost against team slrp experience. by the time I started playing the game, everything that look bad on paper but people around here were saying was good, it was, in reality, bad (god, how i hated the changes on CTF)

willow ve

To "equalize" the ground pound (because we all realize there's like a 0% chance anything in the beta actually gets removed from the full game) why not have it strip shields for the person who is using the ground pound.

That way it's a true risk/reward. You risk losing your shields, but you could be rewarded with an instant kill on an enemy. If you miss the enemy by a little bit you're now both with no shields and it's a quick draw. If you miss by even more you're a sitting duck with no shields.

---

Unlimited Sprint + Thruster basically means CTF isn't a thing anymore. Right?

Computer

To "equalize" the ground pound (because we all realize there's like a 0% chance anything in the beta actually gets removed from the full game) why not have it strip shields for the person who is using the ground pound.

That way it's a true risk/reward. You risk losing your shields, but you could be rewarded with an instant kill on an enemy. If you miss the enemy by a little bit you're now both with no shields and it's a quick draw. If you miss by even more you're a sitting duck with no shields.

---

Unlimited Sprint + Thruster basically means CTF isn't a thing anymore. Right?

Ya and the absolute worst thing they could do is have different settings for every playlist. It needs to work with all game types out of the box.

RowdyReverb

Man Halo 3 feels so godly.

It does. I really want to finish its campaign on legendary, but I'm waiting for patches so I don't have to worry about any lost progress due to crashing. It really does run super smoothly though and the up-res is immediately noticeable.

Tawpgun

I remember that, and I came here and saw how your observation were lost against team slrp experience. by the time I started playing the game, everything that look bad on paper but people around here were saying was good, it was, in reality, bad (god, how i hated the changes on CTF)

A lot of people were saying "wait and see" "you can't say anything until you play it"

There are a lot of things you know are bad just from footage and their concept.

But I do think a lot of Halo 5, to me, is wait and see. And it's a good thing there's a beta too.

Sprint forces stupid, shallow gameplay. Since the maps are enlarged to compensate for sprint, players are forced to sprint if they want to get anywhere in a timely manner. Since sprint only works in the forward direction, it forces players to just say fuck it and risk running through a section of the map, hoping they can sprint through fast enough to live. Contrast this sprint gameplay against a player deliberately and methodically moving through an area while simultaneously watching the areas on the map that present a threat to him.

Why would we encourage shallow gameplay with sprint rather than the deeper gameplay that is created when players are able to move at full speed while aiming in any direction?

I don't know what makes me sadder, the state of Halo 5 or the fact that the community is so beaten down that they've accepted it.

Halo evolving doesn't mean ripping generic features from modern shooters so please don't give that "but Halo needs to evolve" spiel. Halo can evolve without losing its identity.
I never thought about sprint from your perspective, but you do have a point. In halo ce, halo 2, and halo 3, I traversed maps by strafing to the right or left so I see what's going on around me while still moving forward. Sprint does kind of take that away, at least on larger maps.

EDIT:
Last night I picked up a second xbox one controller, forza horizon 2, and alien isolation. good decision or bad decision? I also played the new mario kart dlc tracks at a friend's house. The excite bike track is pretty rad.

Impala26

A lot of people were saying "wait and see" "you can't say anything until you play it"

There are a lot of things you know are bad just from footage and their concept.

But I do think a lot of Halo 5, to me, is wait and see. And it's a good thing there's a beta too.

I don't think this can be emphasized enough, especially because it's a Beta that's taking place nearly a full YEAR before the main game releases. Way earlier than either the Halo 3 or Reach betas by a long shot.

Does this mean that things like sprint, clamber and ground pound can be removed completely?
Like 99.99% No

Does this mean that things like sprint, clamber and ground pound can be balanced to make the game play a whole lot better?
Hell to the yeah.

(Anyone remember Halo 3 Beta Warthog Gun, or Reach Beta's Armor Lock? XD)

Impala26

Or the Halo 3 beta land mine

BETA Plasma launcher and grenade launcher were a beast, I also remember the focus rifle melting faces before the nerf.

Oh ho, I forgot about these! That H3 Beta mine was like the tank mines on the H2 Containment map. And sadly every time I went back to play Reach I always kept thinking that the focus rifle was the face melter it was back in the Beta only to be disappointed when it felt like a slightly buffed sentinel beam with a sniper scope... :-/

H2A is actually fantastic. Going back to classic mode and hearing the old music and sound effects is night and day. Just killed the heretic leader on legendary. Man I love this game.

Impala26

Equipment was an awesome addition to Halo, coulda been great with some refinement.

http://youtu.be/Ie6j-8UEI8U

Heartily agreed.

The fact that you had to find/pick them up kind of added naturally to a sandbox where Active Camo and Overshield already existed. I personally loved the grav lift, but I'll be the first to admit that my one close friend made it a point to find and use the freaking bubble shield all the time. Only regen was broken in terms of being OP.

All Halo 3 equipment was still better than Armor Lock or Camo Ability off spawn...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom