• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It's honestly shocking to me how bad Halo 3 MP is to me now. It's just so much worse than all the other offerings (although I'm having a hard time enjoying CE at this point, but I think I just need to learn it more). I still like it, but I'd rather play anything else.

antigoon

It's honestly shocking to me how bad Halo 3 MP is to me now. It's just so much worse than all the other offerings (although I'm having a hard time enjoying CE at this point, but I think I just need to learn it more). I still like it, but I'd rather play anything else.

I'd honestly almost rather play Halo 4 than Halo 3. Halo 4 is at least different in a few ways and feels like it's own experience. 3 is just a crappy version of 2. Why bother when 2 and 2A are on the same disk? There are a couple good maps, but that's about it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'd honestly almost rather play Halo 4 than Halo 3. Halo 4 is at least different in a few ways and feels like it's own experience. 3 is just a crappy version of 2. Why bother when 2 and 2A are on the same disk? There are a couple good maps, but that's about it.
Yeah, I have a similar train of thought. I have a hard time with Halo 4 sometimes, but that's mostly because of post traumatic bad game disorder. The stripped down version of Halo 4 in the MCC is pretty great.

Karl2177

I'd just like to get into a game consistently. I had an Orbital match, but that's hardly representative of Halo 3 MP. I did the campaign, which oddly enough made me appreciate the smaller encounters in ODST a lot more. I've had a couple of CE matches which were alright. I've had a handful of Halo 2 matches which varied between my teammates not having thumbs to my opponents not having eyes.

Fracas

#fuckonami

frogout.gif
frogout.gif
frogout.gif
frogout.gif
getin.gif
frogout.gif
frogout.gif
frogout.gif
frogout.gif
frogout.gif
frogout.gif
frogout.gif
frogout.gif
frogout.gif
frogout.gif
frogout.gif
frogout.gif
frogout.gif
frogout.gif
frogout.gif
frogout.gif
frogout.gif
frogout.gif
frogout.gif

Ramirez

Halo 2's aim assist is gross, love the fact you have to lead shots in 3. It's not perfect, but I vastly prefer it to 2's lame ass off host BR.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'd just like to get into a game consistently. I had an Orbital match, but that's hardly representative of Halo 3 MP. I did the campaign, which oddly enough made me appreciate the smaller encounters in ODST a lot more. I've had a couple of CE matches which were alright. I've had a handful of Halo 2 matches which varied between my teammates not having thumbs to my opponents not having eyes.
I haven't touched the Halo 3 campaign yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Halo 2 Classic has been great so far, but I stopped playing the game pretty early when it first came out, so I have to learn all the DLC maps, and I'm getting destroyed in the mean time, lol. I had a pretty embarrassing match on Gemini last night.

Akai__

Halo 2's aim assist is gross, love the fact you have to lead shots in 3. It's not perfect, but I vastly prefer it to 2's lame ass off host BR.

That and the fact that all these button glitches are in Halo 2 and people think it's a legitimate skill gap.

daedalius

Are you saying you don't love looking through a cardboard tube for your fov and having an anchor strapped to your crosshairs?

Halo 3 needs a better FOV and some stronger weapon sounds, for sure, but it was caught in that silver-age modern gaming jank where people were somewhere between "photorealistic graphics and sound design" and "such infinitesimal audiovisual fidelity everything has to be stylized or it's going to look like Bubsy 3D," from a generational standpoint. It plays pretty well and dedicated servers / 60 frames / 1080p uprez solve a large amount of the gameplay problems, e.g. battle rifle being non-hitscan.

Caja 117

I'm really surprised by all the love Halo 3 MP gets. The FOV is so awful I want to throw away my controller when I see it on my screen. And I don't even want to talk about that Battle Rifle model ... It just looks so ... ARGH. It's so freaking ugly! It sounds ugly. It feels ugly. It is ugly.

What is FOV exactly, and why should I hate Halo 3 because of it? (i had that same curiosity with crushed blacks and Xbox one, I honestly havent noticed this)

Akai__

What is FOV exactly, and why should I hate Halo 3 because of it? (i had that same curiosity with crushed blacks and Xbox one, I honestly havent noticed this)

FOV= Field of view

Halo 3 is my favourite Halo game and they should have used the split-screen FOV of Halo 3 at least. So much better. And while we are at it. A little more movement speed doesn't hurt.

"Field of View." While in real life we have two visual points that generate a cohesive image, games only have one (the camera - much like films, TV, etc.) and as a result it doesn't allow for as optimal viewing in some cases. Much like resolution (720p, 1080p, etc), FOV is a leading proponent in affecting game performance, because it can affect how much you're seeing onscreen at once. For example, Halo 3 ODST had an extremely wide field of view because it wasn't really pushing the hardware as much since it was running off an even further-optimized version of the Halo 3 engine a ways into the 360's lifespan. Reach and 4, however, use a smaller FOV to compensate for the techniques they're using and to avoid pushing the graphical hardware too much.

Field of View is measured in degrees, with roughly 90-120 degrees typically being "acceptable" ranges from both consumer and hardware standpoints. 90-100 or so is a good FOV for a console Halo title as far as we've experienced. 100-120 and higher degrees of FOV will generally only show up where there's a lot of extra hardware to push, for example high-end gaming PCs.

Halo 3's was extremely narrow compared to other entries in the franchise, and as a result the effect can resemble "tunnel vision" to some people. There's also a direct, albeit minor correlation between vision issues (near / far-sightedness, etc.) and your vision in-game, meaning people with specialized eyesights or that require glasses and whatnot may notice these visual field-of-view discrepancies more often than people with average or above-average eyesight.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Are you saying you don't love looking through a cardboard tube for your fov and having an anchor strapped to your crosshairs?
Both those metaphors are amazing, lol.

It plays pretty well and dedicated servers / 60 frames / 1080p uprez solve a large amount of the gameplay problems, e.g. battle rifle being non-hitscan.
Yeah, I really like Halo 3 over LAN with the movement speed bumped up. That makes a world of difference.

Caja 117

FOV= Field of view

Halo 3 is my favourite Halo game and they should have used the split-screen FOV of Halo 3 at least. So much better. And while we are at it. A little more movement speed doesn't hurt.

So base on that Image, what is Halo 3 FOV exactly,? to me eyes all Halos have the same FoV.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

Bulletin Feedback

Logo

The logo is pretty... generic. It's not really sci-fi looking and doesn't fit at all into the Halo theme. Compare that with the logo/header used for the text Bulletins

Host

There's a few issues with the Host. First, who is this guy and why is he now the 343 mouth piece? What happened to Bravo? I don't understand why the community manager doesn't address the community, BS Angel didn't shy away.

Secondly, who is this guy? Seriously, who is he? Is he an actor? Work Experience student? Also, why the hell does he refer to 343i as a separate entity from himself? I thought the Bulletin was supposed to be a weekly correspondence from the developers to the fans, so why doesn't he assert that authority? He talks about Tashi and Bravo locking themselves up in small rooms together for hours on end... yet are we to assume he doesn't work for 343?

Music + "Feels"

This "show" doesn't feel like an official thing from 343. The tacky music and overall feel places this show as some kind of wannabe light entertainment Hollywood gossip supplement on some fashion channel tucked away in some obscure cable package. This is not E! Online or Access Hollywood Fashion, this is supposed to be fricken Halo.

Relevant Content

Im going to assume the entire first episode was recorded well in advance and for some reason, it may have slipped somebody's mind that there might be a need for an update. The Bullet is supposed to be relevant to the week it is published right? Talking about the MCC release, Nightfall, Halo 5 Beta, the glitzy Hollywood launch - fantastic, except one minor absence.

The whole issue about MCC being a total and utter mess for players? Just imagine if we got a text Bulletin last week instead of a video one and the text one omitted ANY mention of the issues players were facing. Yup, a shitstorm. Yet the video of the prime episode fails to mention anything at all. I would appreciate if the Bulletin was actually relevant. As a player, I don't care about celebrity parties (then again, the Bulletin does make for a great Hollywood show!), I care primarily about things that affect me as a player - and most importantly is the game and the state it is in when all is not well.

Akai__

Thank you, so if there any reason why it allways been like this? (I mean the difference between the others is 8 degrees or so)

I really don't know if Bungie or even 343i said something about FOV changes. It's just so weird, that every game has a different one and that 1 game has 3 different FOV depending on your settings.

Also, Halo 4's values are the same as the Reach ones. I haven't bothered measuring H2A's FoV yet.

I don't have Destiny on a machine that can output a 4:3 image, but its 16:9 FoV is ~72, both the first-person view and the Tower third-person view.

But Halo 4 suffered also from very big weapons, which took up your whole right side of the screen. Just terrible.

I'm actually kind of surprised FOV hasn't become as big a draw as 1080p/60 has for shooters lately. A "have-it-your-way" system where you could order the three priority-wise would be cool. Examples:

120FOV / 60FPS Unlocked / 720p
100FOV / 60FPS Locked / 720p
95FOV / 60FPS Unlocked / 900p
90FOV / 30FPS Unlocked / 1080p
85FOV / 60FPS Locked / 900p
80FOV / 30FPS Locked / 1080p
70FOV / 60FPS Unlocked / 1080p
65FOV / 60FPS Locked / 1080p

Vico

Nightfall episode 2 was cool.
The whole action scene was well-made, though it's weird to see Lekgolo worms moving like this.

It didn't unlock the reward, though.

-Ryn

Banned
I'm not saying it will or won't be, but it's not something I really recall it being all that prominent or integral in MP.
Oh gotcha. I just wanted to clarify.

I can see based on that reasoning why you think it might not be. Though I do think it will return as it's an all around fun weapon especially against vehicles. Well except in Reach. In Reach the Grav Hammer was useless against most everything.

Why would I be joking? Just look on here, the competitive community forums, and Halowaypoint. The only ones that are for it are basically saying that the game needs to evolve or that it's needed for new players, yet both aren't true. The last two Halos have had it and both have failed (not saying sprint is the sole reason because it's very clearly not).
Well the reason I asked was because you said universally when there are clearly plenty of people who do enjoy sprint. I know as I have talked to them, both hardcore long time Halo fans and casual "pick up and go" gamers. I don't think sprint is necessarily needed for Halo to stay relevant, but I do think it can add to it (at least within certain contexts).

With the "neogaf.gif" shit he surely makes it seem like he's making people out to be unreasonable. Coulda done without that.

Take a glance over at the waypoint forums to see unreasonable.

Jesus, halo fans are embarrassing "halo fans union rep" hahaha fuck off.
Halo fans union rep? Is that a Waypoint thing or...?

That being said, I honestly kinda hope they let Chief settle down at some point.
This is something I've been hoping will happen. For once I'd like to see a hero like Chief just be able to have a decent ending as opposed to dying in some blaze of glory or whatever. Let the guy have a break. He's saved humanity multiple times and hasn't ever had a normal life. I'd say he's earned his happy ending (or bittersweet at the least).

I definitely agree that it's gotten tiresome to see the stakes raised so often. I mean where do you go after saving the galaxy? The universe? It's just getting ridiculous. Though I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be interested in seeing an all out war against the Forerunners or the
Precursors (though that might actually seem odd since the Precursors actually favored Humanity right?)

I just rediscovered this, somehow:

It's like walking in on a slash fic forum...

"Field of View." While in real life we have two visual points that generate a cohesive image, games only have one (the camera - much like films, TV, etc.) and as a result it doesn't allow for as optimal viewing in some cases. Much like resolution (720p, 1080p, etc), FOV is a leading proponent in affecting game performance, because it can affect how much you're seeing onscreen at once. For example, Halo 3 ODST had an extremely wide field of view because it wasn't really pushing the hardware as much since it was running off an even further-optimized version of the Halo 3 engine a ways into the 360's lifespan. Reach and 4, however, use a smaller FOV to compensate for the techniques they're using and to avoid pushing the graphical hardware too much.

Field of View is measured in degrees, with roughly 90-120 degrees typically being "acceptable" ranges from both consumer and hardware standpoints. 90-100 or so is a good FOV for a console Halo title as far as we've experienced. 100-120 and higher degrees of FOV will generally only show up where there's a lot of extra hardware to push, for example high-end gaming PCs.

Halo 3's was extremely narrow compared to other entries in the franchise, and as a result the effect can resemble "tunnel vision" to some people. There's also a direct, albeit minor correlation between vision issues (near / far-sightedness, etc.) and your vision in-game, meaning people with specialized eyesights or that require glasses and whatnot may notice these visual field-of-view discrepancies more often than people with average or above-average eyesight.
HaloGaf is better than school

IHaveIce

Banned
For some reason I can't really get into Halo 3 AND Halo 2 again in MP, they both feel really weird.

Halo CE feels the best atm.

And I'm on the edge of insanity because of the Halo 2 Campaign. I really hate the brutes on the higher difficulties

daedalius

For some reason I can't really get into Halo 3 AND Halo 2 again in MP, they both feel really weird.

And I'm on the edge of insanity because of the Halo 2 Campaign. I really hate the brutes on the higher difficulties

I also love how my bullets appear to be hitting my enemy, but in actuality are doing nothing.

Dedi's will save us. Oh wait.

I went skull hunting in H2A and that Lengendary difficulty is making things impossible... man.. I can't do it without the scarab skull on...

-Ryn

Banned
BXR's

Are

AWESOME

the combos are my fav part of playing Halo 2 again. I always miss them when playing H2A :(

Lead your shots scrub!
Nice kills dude.
I really would like to see button combos return to Halo as an actual mechanic than a glitch. It still surprises me that Bungie never capitalized on them in later Halo games. Or even Destiny.

Halo 3 AR/Pistol starts (effective range of 5 feet). Motion tracker. Moving through molasses. Unfortunate settings for Halo 3's playlist when that game plays better with 110% speed and no motion tracker. If we're going to be walking so damn slow, why do we need motion tracker on top of it? How don't devs see this already?

I have had some decent games in Halo 3, but I don't feel anywhere near as engaged as I am in the other games. I want to enjoy Halo 3 and sometimes I do, but with the current settings I don't see myself playing that game much. Going back to Halo 4 though has been fun and I'm excited for the playlist to return. Once again though, motion tracker and poor settings ruin what could be a better experience IMO.

daedalius

BXR's

Are

AWESOME

the combos are my fav part of playing Halo 2 again. I always miss them when playing H2A :(

Lead your shots scrub!

So are the impacts I see on enemy Spartans just lying to me? They aren't actually hitting even though it looks like they are?

Halo 3 AR/Pistol starts (effective range of 5 feet). Motion tracker. Moving through molasses. Unfortunate settings for Halo 3's playlist when that game plays better with 110% speed and no motion tracker. If we're going to be walking so damn slow, why do we need motion tracker on top of it? How don't devs see this already?

I have had some decent games in Halo 3, but I don't feel anywhere near as engaged as I am in the other games. I want to enjoy Halo 3 and sometimes I do, but with the current settings I don't see myself playing that game much. Going back to Halo 4 though has been fun and I'm excited for the playlist to return. Once again though, motion tracker and poor settings ruin what could be a better experience IMO.

I didn't even see legendary as a selection for game type on halo 4 when we did a custom game.

It sure looks pretty though.

IHaveIce

Banned
Also even after the game is patched, I really dislike the settings used in MM and hope they will get fixed.

And hopefully there won't be uneven teams anymore.

AND WHY IS THERE STILL NO QUIT PENALTY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom