• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magwik

Banned
Classic. It was also really satisfying to lay down trip mines on Rat's Nest right around a corner to get those Warthogs that just do laps endlessly. You'll be off doing someone else and suddenly get a Double Kill medal.
Or throwing a drain off the lift on Vahalla and taking out the banshee.

Sephzilla

I'm starting to think I need to bow out of the MCC thread until the patch comes out. The stupidity in that thread is getting close to reaching critical mass.

Heh, seen on reddit.

UHfn8Sr.png

I see your edit and raise you:

ibrIlt48VR01X3.png

Caja 117

I'm starting to think I need to bow out of the MCC thread until the patch comes out. The stupidity in that thread is getting close to reaching critical mass.

You should have done that a while back. in honesty, you cant say for sure who actually bought the game or just posting to troll/ console warz.

Ramirez

Heartily agreed.

The fact that you had to find/pick them up kind of added naturally to a sandbox where Active Camo and Overshield already existed. I personally loved the grav lift, but I'll be the first to admit that my one close friend made it a point to find and use the freaking bubble shield all the time. Only regen was broken in terms of being OP.

All Halo 3 equipment was still better than Armor Lock or Camo Ability off spawn...

Some of them, Regen/BS specifically should have been treated as power weapons.

Caja 117

Or maybe people are frustrated that they bought a $60 brick?

Darn them entitled gamers.

Some people are frustrsated for sure, that doesnt take away the fact that on the gaming side there is Concern Trolls posting,.if I want to have a real pulse of whats going on I read people opinions in here.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Then get a refund, some of these people post ten times threatening to sell everything. Shit or get off the pot, we're all frustrated with the game.

Well I mean yeah, if somebody continually makes those kinds of posts then it's lame. But I'd imagine it's more frustration then people trolling or whatever.

Caja 117

Well I mean yeah, if somebody continually makes those kinds of posts then it's lame. But I'd imagine it's more frustration then people trolling or whatever.

Probrably, but you cant tell for sure, reason why It becomes, to a certain degree, pointless to debate with someone over there.

There's a reason the Xbox controller was built so that both thumbsticks could be simultaneously engaged: so you can move and aim at the same time. Sprint makes you choose between moving and aiming. 343 is saying you are not coordinated enough to use both your thumbs at the same time.

On a serious note, I really hope the play up the "Locke tracking down Chief" thing or even start it out In Medias Res like Reach and imply that Locke has to kill Chief, or at least finds his damaged helmet or something. The nerd rage that would follow some new dude offing Chief in his first episode would be glorious.

That being said, I honestly kinda hope they let Chief settle down at some point. It'd be cool if they didn't keep pulling weird serial escalation shit like "oh now there's THREE graveminds working together!" or "the Didact is combining the composer and the Halos to annihilate everything in the galaxy!" or (Greg Bear trilogy spoilers?)
"the Precursors have returned and they're not happy!"
There's no need and Chief's already saved the galaxy plenty of times over. It'd be great if he got some well-deserved time off and Locke n' Friends went off and engaged in more personal stories related to political subterfuge with the Insurrection, tracking down Covenant Remnant terrorists, etc. rather than having to keep on upping the scale to eleven every game. ODST proved the Halo universe has plenty of personal pan-sized stories that are both captivating and fun to play through. There's also a bunch of small arcs they could focus on like the Arbiter attempting to pacify the Elites on his homeworld, maybe tackling Jul 'Mdama with some better in-universe characterization, etc. I just hate that 343 (and it's not exclusively their fault - it's a big industry thing) feels obligated to keep spinning all these new crazy "well now the galaxy AND the universe is at stake! again!" stories when plenty of people would be cool with engaging in more intimate campaigns just as long as the game made it explicitly clear you were doing so - I could see why people would be pissed if they pulled another Arbiter and sorta just introduced a playable character out of nowhere again.

RowdyReverb

That being said, I honestly kinda hope they let Chief settle down at some point. It'd be cool if they didn't keep pulling weird serial escalation shit like "oh now there's THREE graveminds working together!" or "the Didact is combining the composer and the Halos to annihilate everything in the galaxy!" or (Greg Bear trilogy spoilers?)
"the Precursors have returned and they're not happy!"
There's no need and Chief's already saved the galaxy plenty of times over.

The escalation thing gets very tiresome in sequels to long running franchises (see: Dead Space, Mass Effect). I don't understand the need for the stakes to get higher and higher with each story. Why can't the stakes just be MC is trying to survive and find some MacGuffin while Locke hunts him down. I don't need to save the planet/Galaxy in every game, which is what was refreshing about the campaigns in Reach and ODST.

I feel weird and lucky at the same time regarding TMCC. Obviously matchmaking is a mess and a lot of people have been having major issues with campaign and achievements. I've played through CEA twice now, once on Heroic and once on Legendary, and have even gone back through several levels for additional achievements. Never had any crashes, bugs, or problems with unlocking achievements. I occasionally try and find a multiplayer game. If it works it works, but i only give it 5 or 10 minutes and immediately go back to CEA if it takes too long. Been having a lot of fun with it to be honest. I don't know if I'm just a weird outlier or what, but I've been spared most of the issues that other people have been dealing with.

Sephzilla

I feel weird and lucky at the same time regarding TMCC. Obviously matchmaking is a mess and a lot of people have been having major issues with campaign and achievements. I've played through CEA twice now, once on Heroic and once on Legendary, and have even gone back through several levels for additional achievements. Never had any crashes, bugs, or problems with unlocking achievements. I occasionally try and find a multiplayer game. If it works it works, but i only give it 5 or 10 minutes and immediately go back to CEA if it takes too long. Been having a lot of fun with it to be honest. I don't know if I'm just a weird outlier or what, but I've been spared most of the issues that other people have been dealing with.

Same, I've ran into considerably few issues compared to what people are saying in the MCC thread. I've also seen one or two people straight up say that in the 8 days the game has been out they haven't gotten into a single matchmade game - I really want to call bullshit there.

Tawpgun

Halo 3 is the most difficult for me to get used to. I can swap between Halo CE and H2/H2A super easy. Halo 3 is the most jarring.

I think in a game with high base movement speed and universal thruster 343 could strike a balance by eliminating sprint, but since the maps have been made, that ship has sailed. I cannot deny that it is sometimes nice to have a "get-me-there" button.

I agree that sprint adversely affects classic Halo map design, but it does allow for a different design approach that so far has been underutilized in the post-sprint era.

In a universal sprint world, dance floors can also be routes--something that is most apparent on Boardwalk. There are very few areas of that map that aren't suitable as dance floors. All this open space would be hugely destructive to flow in a no-sprint world since movement across the map at such a slow speed would be suicidal. With sprint players can move from dance floor to dance floor almost as if they were hallways with cover.

In theory this would allow for more variety from game to game on a map like this because skirmishes would have more areas of the map on which to erupt organically.

Unfortunately, this didn't materialize on Boardwalk because of some questionable design choices, the most unfortunate being to create a power position on the map that also had a power weapon on it (sniper spawn).

If anyone has other examples of this working/not working, it might help to add something to the discussion outside of "sprint sucks--it's killing Halo" and "we need sprint to attract COD players".

Halo 3 is the most difficult for me to get used to. I can swap between Halo CE and H2/H2A super easy. Halo 3 is the most jarring.
Same here...is it the FOV?

Fracas

#fuckonami
The one Halo 3 game I had was fantastic. BR felt really good, almost hitscan (I really wish it was, lol). Felt like it was running on dedis.

Same, I've ran into considerably few issues compared to what people are saying in the MCC thread. I've also seen one or two people straight up say that in the 8 days the game has been out they haven't gotten into a single matchmade game - I really want to call bullshit there.
Why would someone lie about this?

You don't have many issues so no one has issues.

Yeah okay.

Omni

You can check my history. I've found two games since release.

Sephzilla

Why would someone lie about this?

You don't have many issues so no one has issues.

Yeah okay.

Because this is the internet and people say tons of stupid shit just to get attention.

I find it highly fucking unlikely that anyone could go 8 days and not find a single goddamn match in MCC.

Edit: I also never said that since I'm not having issues nobody is having issues. You suck at putting words in people's mouths.

dB Viper

Searching MM alone I have no issues finding a game, but getting real tired of uneven teams and 5v5 BS. Oh, and the 1v4 Ranked game last night, GTFOOH. Thanks, 343, for this my very first loss.

Searching with 1 more person makes this so unbearable. When we finally get a game, we are split up. I hope the patch comes before Saturday...

klodeckel

Banned
I'm really surprised by all the love Halo 3 MP gets. The FOV is so awful I want to throw away my controller when I see it on my screen. And I don't even want to talk about that Battle Rifle model ... It just looks so ... ARGH. It's so freaking ugly! It sounds ugly. It feels ugly. It is ugly.

^The H2A BR model is so good looking it's the best BR model since halo 2

I can even play H4 fine in the new more classic rules they put in most of the games (legendary gametypes I'm told this is called) better than H3. I am getting used to h3 but it feels the most weird out of the 5 mp's on this collection. I am super happy people actually do vote CE a bit btw

Impala26

I'm really surprised by all the love Halo 3 MP gets. The FOV is so awful I want to throw away my controller when I see it on my screen. And I don't even want to talk about that Battle Rifle model ... It just looks so ... ARGH. It's so freaking ugly! It sounds ugly. It feels ugly. It is ugly.

Not gonna lie, distant BR shots in H3 sound like someone snapping trees in rapid succession...

I loved that distant audio effect, but the overall gun audio in 2/3 is bad.

I really hated how in Reach they switched to just reducing the volume and pitch-shifting the audio instead of putting in dedicated distant firing cues. It was especially noticeable when you transitioned between players in death and an audio cue with a noticeable key played, in particular Grunt Birthday Party's "yay!" thing.

Impala26

I loved that distant audio effect, but the overall gun audio in 2/3 is bad.

At the time during the H3 beta and the first year or so it was out, the distant gunshot audio was a fantastic experience. I can still recall the terror of hearing that distant chaingun sound in the H3 beta and in general feeling like, "Oh shit, the deathbringer is coming, everyone GET THE F@#$ DOWN!"

Distant sniper shots were impressively-realistic sounding as well.

So yeah, the distant sounds were good, but yeah overall gun sounds were pretty meh. I just can't unsee the distant BR shots sound as trees rapidly snapping, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom