• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

You can play against a computer, or a friend, or matchmaking. Best game featuring Master Chief released in the past few months for sure.

Also, you can play as Beamish...

I'm really looking forward to #IDARB, but I hear it has some shitty limitations on Matchmaking, including you can only play against a team of 4 if you have 4 people infront of your home console (basically, 8 people can't search separately?)

Please tell me that's not true, because it's a stupid limitation.

HTupolev

*360 catches on fire*
Yet that 360 there was performing reasonably well, despite an FoV subtending a solid angle five times larger than that of the base game. Sometimes you guys exaggerate the cost of high FoV, especially for a game like Halo 3 that has huge polygons and thus shouldn't suffer too badly from quad efficiency issues. (I have a hunch that this is part of why Halo 3 scales better to split-screen than Reach and Halo 4 do.)

Lighting the HTupolev signal :eek:
D:

the probably sub 80 FoV that Halo 5 will have.
H5B was somewhere in the ballpark of 78.

On the subject of FOV. What is the value for Destiny?
72, both first-person gameplay and third-person tower, and I'm confident that that's within 1 degree.

Gameplay is pretty easy to measure just by horizontal rotations with a level camera, since it's pretty much exactly 5 horizontal screens worth (360/5 = 72).

Tower is a bit trickier, since you can't rotate the camera without moving it (and thus throwing off the locations of details you're using for angular reference), but the squares on the floor in the hangar provide a way. I'll describe it if I get around to making the writeup on FoV stuff that I've been thinking of doing.

MaxRealflugel

Neo Member
Consoles are way too underpowered to have a FoV slider, or hell even FoV of 90, unless they make it look like a last gen game. Which would be preferable imo, make it clean, simple, 1080p, 60 FPS, 90 FoV and I don't care about all the bells and whistles of crazy "next gen" graphics. The priority for graphics over game performance and gameplay overall isn't worth it.

Dude, do you even lift?

Nebula

No longer own a copy of TMCC so thanks 343. Enjoy Halo 5 guys, I hope it releases in a playable state for those who want to purchase it. Think I've hit the end of the line with 343 and Halo in general.

link1201

And it still wasn't a BTB game, like 6v6 if I counted correctly. sigh

Yeah I don't know why they honestly told us about the beta patch program. They're definitely not going to put it out this weekend because of super bowl Sunday, so that means either next week or weekend at the earliest.

Just makes them look bad if they announce things only to delay for weeks. And I was all set to help them test out the update.

I didn't even think of this. My team isn't in the Super Bowl so football has been off my radar. sigh

Madness

No longer own a copy of TMCC so thanks 343. Enjoy Halo 5 guys, I hope it releases in a playable state for those who want to purchase it. Think I've hit the end of the line with 343 and Halo in general.

And another one bites the dust, gg 343! I'll splatter some people with mongoose in the final release just for you, my fellow junior wave member.

Did the person on Xbox support try and convince you to keep the game, that they couldn't process the refund?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yeah, BTB takes forever. I love playing it, but I basically have to grab my laptop while I search for a game so I can do something while I wait. Even worse with 2 people. I've never had it be 4 hours though, for me it's about 5-10 min.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Yeah, BTB takes forever. I love playing it, but I basically have to grab my laptop while I search for a game so I can do something while I wait. Even worse with 2 people. I've never had it be 4 hours though, for me it's about 5-10 min.

I can't get into BTB, it's like 64 player conquest in Battlefield, a big waste of time in my opinion...nothing but a bunch of chaotic disorganized play...zero team play.

I much rather play with smaller teams where there's some sense of organization.

Madness

Some nights take forever. Nothing is more rage inducing than waiting 15 minutes, picking the map, and then having the game crash during loading. Sad thing is you could probably fire up Halo 3 or Reach on Xbox 360 right now and find a match in BTB quicker.

Fuchsdh

So it's actually fun solo?

Still haven't even touched D4 yet...

D4 is... Japanese like hell, I guess is how I would describe it. You've got a cat that's a woman that's supposed to be a cat, and does these weird dance sequences with squirrels that linger on her ass. The characters feel off, perhaps because Japanese people don't actually understand how Bostonians talk.

There's a lot to like about it, but I can also see why no one bought it. Also someone calling their wife "Little Peggy" constantly is bizarre and creepy.

Nebula

And another one bites the dust, gg 343! I'll splatter some people with mongoose in the final release just for you, my fellow junior wave member.

Did the person on Xbox support try and convince you to keep the game, that they couldn't process the refund?

Didn't deal with them. Sold it to a guy at work because he wanted to do campaign with his son. Physical copy anyway.

-Ryn

Banned
Yet another dream about HaloGAF...

Do I have a problem?

:(

Do you ever see yourself returning or did you not like H5?

FOV SPECULATION
Are you a wizard?

I can't get into BTB, it's like 64 player conquest in Battlefield, a big waste of time in my opinion...nothing but a bunch of chaotic disorganized play...zero team play.

Really? I mean yeah it's much tougher with 8 people but I've played with quite a few groups that know who to give sniper/banshee/tank to and every one plays their role perfectly all game. It's awesome when done right. Hell in H4 I'd get 2 other people and we would all have ghosts riding as a flock. Nothing quite as scary as a squad of 3 ghosts circling you.

-Ryn

Banned
Probably not. My Xbox One will likely be the next victim.
post-35593-you-make-me-sad-gif-Monty-Pyth-VrmD.gif

I understand though. Really hope to one day play Halo with you but if that doesn't happen, hope to see you around here still. What games do you plan on looking to next then?

-Ryn

Banned
I had a dream about NeoGAF a few days ago. It was very weird.

I don't think you have a problem.
Thanks man :)

Would you mind if I asked what happened? I love hearing about dreams.

Do you even gather the troops bro?

BTB CTF has kickass amounts of teamwork especially when the chips are down. Naturally this is best exemplified when at least some of them have mics, but it is so awesome to have a couple guys doing a push while the some others are holding the enemies attention and then another couple guys are trying to jump in through the chaos or are on defense.

gAg CruSh3r

Thanks man :)

Would you mind if I asked what happened? I love hearing about dreams.

Haha sure. So it was very odd because everyone on NeoGAF was chatting with each other in person in a Romen Coliseum setting and there was actually topics levels you can go too and talk to other about that topic. I for some reason found a Secret levels where there was different topics that regular people can't get too (I think it must have been NeoGAF Gold lol). I told people about it and I think I started a riot about it. Then I woke up lol. #DreamGAF

Almost the second month of 2015 and still not fixed? The beta for a patch still delayed with no insight as to what's happened? ODST and Relic were sufficient when the impression was that the game would be fixed for Christmas day. Not so now. We should be into the third month of playlist hopper updates now, with a fairly stabilized trueskill spread. Instead, we're mired in the sclerosis of 75% SMG/AR starts on map settings amber cast from launch day 2007. There's nothing to stop them adjusting gametypes and map settings (as evidenced by them 'balancing the appearance of BR starts' a few weeks after launch, plus new hoppers). This is the age of the loadout weapon choice; AR and SMG starts simply do not work in H2 and 3 anymore.

Tawpgun

Almost the second month of 2015 and still not fixed? The beta for a patch still delayed with no insight as to what's happened? ODST and Relic were sufficient when the impression was that the game would be fixed for Christmas day. Not so now. We should be into the third month of playlist hopper updates now, with a fairly stabilized trueskill spread. Instead, we're mired in the sclerosis of 75% SMG/AR starts on map settings amber cast from launch day 2007. There's nothing to stop them adjusting gametypes and map settings (as evidenced by them 'balancing the appearance of BR starts' a few weeks after launch, plus new hoppers). This is the age of the loadout weapon choice; AR and SMG starts simply do not work in H2 and 3 anymore.

As much as I hate getting AR/SMG starts...

It's probably the last thing on their plates right now

Akai__

Yep, so are things like map settings and spawns, but I feel like they should change stuff they can, because that would make it at least a little more enjoyable.

Where oh where will I find space on my time plate to turn the gametype settings in Big Team Battle from 'Starting Weapon: Assault Rifle' (Assault and King of the Hill, inexplicably) to 'Starting Weapon: Battle Rifle'?

Point is, there are things that are changeable, right now, and server side to boot. There are hundreds of employees that work for 343 studios, I don't want to hear horseshit about limited resources. Fuck it, delay Halo 5 if it means increased effort on MCC. This is the current Halo game and it's FUCKED. Everyday this continues the embarrassment and shame for MS increases.

So fellas, just to confirm.

Not only was the beta patch, 2 months into the games release, delayed, we now are gonna be entering a month gone by with only one patch? A patch that kinda fixed...nothing?

Unless im wrong we got 12.22.14 and 1.19.15. Thats it. For a game THIS broken.

-Ryn

Banned
Haha sure. So it was very odd because everyone on NeoGAF was chatting with each other in person in a Romen Coliseum setting and there was actually topics levels you can go too and talk to other about that topic. I for some reason found a Secret levels where there was different topics that regular people can't get too (I think it must have been NeoGAF Gold lol). I told people about it and I think I started a riot about it. Then I woke up lol. #DreamGAF
lol that sounds like some virtual reality craziness there. I love it.

In mine for some reason everyone's avatar was a different 8 bit sprite of something involving Halo, given to them personally from Bungie with a tag to accompany it. Sadly I can't remember what they were but the avatars were cool. I don't remember much else either. Dreams are sneaky.

#Dreamsneversleep
#Dreambutts

Ramirez

Where oh where will I find space on my time plate to turn the gametype settings in Big Team Battle from 'Starting Weapon: Assault Rifle' (Assault and King of the Hill, inexplicably) to 'Starting Weapon: Battle Rifle'?

Point is, there are things that are changeable, right now, and server side to boot. There are hundreds of employees that work for 343 studios, I don't want to hear horseshit about limited resources. Fuck it, delay Halo 5 if it means increased effort on MCC. This is the current Halo game and it's FUCKED. Everyday this continues the embarrassment and shame for MS increases.

You shut your whore mouth. ;P

Mdot

So fellas, just to confirm.

Not only was the beta patch, 2 months into the games release, delayed, we now are gonna be entering a month gone by with only one patch? A patch that kinda fixed...nothing?

Unless im wrong we got 12.22.14 and 1.19.15. Thats it. For a game THIS broken.

Pretty much nailed it. Beyond ridiculous, especially with zero communication of what's going on.

King Leo

Neo Member
February update patch notes: Slightly increased the menu music volume again. We will continue to update you on future fixes, thanks for your patience

MegalonJJ

Banned

Exactly the same situation.

Just got my refund from Amazon UK for TMCC and whilst I really disliked Halo 5, for those who do purchase hopefully it'll be in good working order.

Real shame considering I bought a bone for MCC and 343i pretty much killed any interest in what was one of my favourite game series. I don't think anyone could have predicted this during the E3 reveal...343i should have just released Halo 2:Anniversary and then incrementally added each of the other games across the following year (without extra charge) and not only have kept the population up but increased it and continued growing hype to lead into Halo 5.

Zel3

Exactly the same situation.

Just got my refund from Amazon UK for TMCC and whilst I really disliked Halo 5, for those who do purchase hopefully it'll be in good working order.

Real shame considering I bought a bone for MCC
and 343i pretty much killed any interest in what was one of my favourite game series. I don't think anyone could have predicted this during the E3 reveal...343i should have just released Halo 2:Anniversary and then incrementally added each of the other games across the following year (without extra charge) and not only have kept the population up but increased it and continued growing hype to lead into Halo 5.

Now what are we going to do? :O I returned MCC and now I have an Xbone with no games..

Top Bottom