• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Akai__

Are you using the spire shortcut?

You should be able to get to the Ghosts in 10 to 15 minutes, including the eventual deaths getting 4 players up there.

Now, that you mentioned it. I know of 2 tricks:

1. Using a Grenade and Hammer to get onto the 45° pillar and walk to the top of the tower. (Might want to clear the area 1st)

2. When the fight on the top begins, kill 5 enemies and then jump down from the tower. It will deload every enemy and the doors will open early.

Those are probably some very useful tips for this and for the LASO achievement.

Ramirez

swissgear-mythos-laptop-backpack-125-p.jpg

who's carrying who? ;)

I dunno, I dont take cell phone pics of every good game I have to brag about on forums like you and Biggy.

Well that's a load of bullshit.

1. How do you know they knew? We've been told multiple times that they had no idea. Not saying that's a good thing however you're claiming they lied with no proof.

2. How exactly did they deceive reviewers?

3. Downplayed? They've stated that the MCC is a mess a number of times. Frankie is always going on about how they fucked up.

4. The communication whilst not great hasn't exactly been awful. What do you expect them to say? A weekly update on how they're still working on it? They've stated a number of times that they're going to keep working on it till it's fixed.

5. I don't see how this is relevant at all. He isn't required to do anything. The only thing which would happen if he were to speak up is people would throw ridicule at him. That's not helpful for either side. There's also the possibility that's he's busy working on fixing the game and is leaving the interaction with us to others.

1. Go to Twitter.com/DanAyoub and please let me know the last time he tweeted. He was the head of development on Halo MCC by the way

2. Go to Twitter.com/Halo and let me know how often they respond to concerns or at least let us know what is going on.

3. If they truly did not know, then 343 should not be in charge of running Halo. That's called incompetency at it's finest. If they did know, and knowingly released a broken game, (and by the way are still promoting the game for purchase AT FULL PRICE on the front page of HaloWaypoint.com) then they should be ashamed for having incredibly low standards.

Are you using the spire shortcut?

You should be able to get to the Ghosts in 10 to 15 minutes, including the eventual deaths getting 4 players up there.

Don't know any speedrun tactics. I do remember doing it years ago for recon and it taking a long time because with that achievement, you're only as strong as your weakest link. The weakest link in my current group regularly drops dub digit neg nukes in MM and has never completed a Halo campaign on Legendary as far as I'm aware.

Should be fun!

Tawpgun

DMR scope aint cosmetic, nor are the frames of animation the sniper now takes to reach full zoom. The aesthetic elements of ADS don't really bother me but there are some appreciable differences from literally every single Halo game that has come before it.

Has anyone here done the H3 annual achievement on the MCC? Got a party ready to do it in an hour but wondered if anyone's got any cautionary tales before we spend two hours getting to the Ghost sequence before the game crashes.

How is DMR scope not cosmetic? Its visually obnoxious, but its a visual change.

The sniper animation felt weird for sure. It felt like frames were missing from it.

Now that I'm recalling the beta the only gun that felt like it took longer to aim with was the rocket launcher.

Welfare

1. How do you know they knew? We've been told multiple times that they had no idea. Not saying that's a good thing however you're claiming they lied with no proof.
Absolute bullshit. Not even factoring all the online issues, you honestly think they had no idea about any of the single player/non multiplayer issues? They knew they were throwing out a game with issues.

4. The communication whilst not great hasn't exactly been awful. What do you expect them to say? A weekly update on how they're still working on it? They've stated a number of times that they're going to keep working on it till it's fixed.
This is downplay of the highest caliber. Their communication, like always, is absolutely shit.

A weekly update that their still fixing the game is way better than silence.

And I very highly doubt they are going to keep working on it "till it's fixed". They certainly weren't working on it during the Halo 5 beta, and they won't be working on it when they have to market Halo 5 proper.

Fuchsdh

Speaking of 343 being terrible at communicating with the community the weekly bulletin video is a joke. It comes off as a fake ass Entertainment Tonight episode with a douche host trying to smile though a small amount of BS news no one gives a fuck about. Its a huge missed opportunity for 343 to get closer to the fans. Why not make it a weekly live Vlog interviewing people that actually work on the game? Talk about shit we want to hear like new developments on the MCC or developments in H5 mp. They could also have HCS pros on the show for interviews or answer community questions. Why do I even have to post this? Why is 343 so dumb they cant figure this out on their own? 343 has no clue how to reach out to the community. Know wonder people talk so much shit because they are nameless and faceless. What happened to the 343 podcast? I don't care if there is a new over priced Mega Blocks toy coming out give me some real information we are not all 12 years old.

While I would not term it so stridently as you, I do think the Bulletin in video format has been a regression. Planning out this kind of content for features means you cannot be responsive to what's actually going on, and making the bulletin as relevant as it can be. You either have to accept being off-the-cuff, rougher, and more responsive, or build up the content in the Bulletin to be more substantial and less timely—which still means there's a gap where the previous bulletin existed.

IIRC, DEllis talked about how much of a time sink the podcast was (and Bungie guys mentioned it as well.) Wrangling people and the space and the technical know-how to record a group of people well, edit it and get it out there isn't exactly that simple, even in the age of podcasting.

343 > Bungie

When Halo 5 rolls around I'll see if that changes to 343 = Bungie, but right now there's just too much wrong Bungie has done for me to turn a blind eye. 343 is teetering on that fine line for many, but personally I have a thicker breaking point when it comes to this franchise. My disappointment tolerance has increased, sadly, after years of questionable design decisions between 2004's release of Halo 2 and Bungie's handling of Destiny.

343 gave CE fans the "impossible" and for all we know this is Microsoft's fault with TMCC, so however long it takes them to fix this mess I'll still be there. I just really, reallyyyy hope they don't blatantly lie about anything like what happened with that 14 day map pack nonsense with Halo 4.

Josh, I really miss Turok. Please save Halo before it heads down the unfortunate path that franchise traveled down after years of poor games. I enjoyed the reboot of Turok you worked on despite not being 100% faithful to the original with dinosaurs shooting rockets and weapons that latch onto enemy heads, blowing their brain to bits, but there is still room for a game like Turok in today's demographic, so hopefully one day a developer can successfully revive that franchise. I don't want to say the same for Halo if these problems persist with Halo 5, I don't think fans can take much more pain.. Pliss, save us.

We are united under the umbrella of wanting a great Halo game, and Halo 5 can be that game for many, so here's to hoping for the best
animated-gifs-beer-10.gif

#NoMotionTracker

-Ryn

Banned
Ah I see we've landed on this topic of the HaloGAF Roullete of Wonder.

Welp

Just curious...why pre-order in today's generation of gaming? It's not as if they're going to sell out of copies on day one. Plus, there's digital purchasing on Xbox One now.

I can understand if you want it pre-loaded, but I don't get pre-ordering anymore.

Pre-ordering just allows the publisher to boast about their numbers.
I don't think there's any reason to ore order these days except for when there's a super ultra limited collectors edition. Which H5 seems to have... so I'm pre ordering it... *sigh*

"ADS is cosmetic only"
It is.

Just gonna say why.

ADS in H5 carries none of the qualities normally associated with ADS except for its aesthetic. Automatics having zoom/decreased spread has been in games with regular zoom. Power buffs are a weapon specific trait.

You don't get slower when you use ADS. You aren't gimped in any way. You just slam a gun but into your visor. I may not care for it, but it really is cosmetic only as in if you were to switch it out with a zoom aesthetic, there'd be no difference.

How is DMR scope not cosmetic? Its visually obnoxious, but its a visual change.

The sniper animation felt weird for sure. It felt like frames were missing from it.

Now that I'm recalling the beta the only gun that felt like it took longer to aim with was the rocket launcher.

The scope obscures half of the screen now. In Reach and H4 there was only a darkening of the outer circle to contend with; in H5 there's a narrowing of visibility to the point of claustrophobia. So unnatural did the DMR scope feel that I, and others, chose not to use it at all. Take an eyeball from a man's head and the change is both cosmetic and a depreciation of function.

Well that's a load of bullshit.

2. How exactly did they deceive reviewers?

3. Downplayed? They've stated that the MCC is a mess a number of times. Frankie is always going on about how they fucked up.

5. I don't see how this is relevant at all. He isn't required to do anything. The only thing which would happen if he were to speak up is people would throw ridicule at him. That's not helpful for either side. There's also the possibility that's he's busy working on fixing the game and is leaving the interaction with us to others.

You aren't serious are you? The reviewers did not have access to the MP. You really think they didn't know you couldn't join a match?

SalientOne

Internet Batman
Dr. Menke had nothing to do with Halo 4's ranking system. Or MCC.

He only worked on Halo 5.

Correction: I was wrong.

Although Josh had nothing to do with the in-game SR ranking system for Halo 4, he DID work on the CSR system that we used online and helped out with the Global Championship.

Getting old, brain failing, etc. ;) Carry on!

Welfare

It is.

Just gonna say why.

ADS in H5 carries none of the qualities normally associated with ADS except for its aesthetic. Automatics having zoom/decreased spread has been in games with regular zoom. Power buffs are a weapon specific trait.
AR never had a scope. SMG (non-silenced) never had a scope. Infact, no automatics ever had a scope besides the Silenced SMG. They had binoculars.

ADS on every weapon artificially gives automatics scopes that they never had in the first place.

Tawpgun

The scope obscures half of the screen now. In Reach and H4 there was only a darkening of the outer circle to contend with; in H5 there's a narrowing of visibility to the point of claustrophobia. So unnatural did the DMR scope feel that I, and others, chose not to use it at all. Take an eyeball from a man's head and the change is both cosmetic and a depreciation of function.

So still technically cosmetic. Just a bad cosmetic redesign. Which I agree with.

As long as I had the guy centered DMR scope didn't bother me too bad unless it was on truth because it was too dark. The def need to reduce its visual noise. Unless they use it as some dumb justification for balance.

OT but downloading the Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Wii U for $10. Get on that!
Now it can be a powerful weapon, right Fyre? :b
Correction: I was wrong.

Although Josh had nothing to do with the in-game SR ranking system for Halo 4, he DID work on the CSR system that we used online and helped out with the Global Championship.

Getting old, brain failing, etc. ;) Carry on!
Thanks for not letting that go. If you're able to, mind answering two questions?
  1. How'd you get that badass "Internet Batman" tag?
  2. Thoughts on Turok and if you think it can/should be revived?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
OT but downloading the Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Wii U for $10. Get on that!

Now it can be a powerful weapon, right Fyre? :b

Thanks for not letting that go. If you're able to, mind answering two questions?

NeoGAF needs a wiki with a history for member tag origins.

Question, does anyone know the sales numbers for MCC? According to that banned site it's 2 million +

I'm wondering the resources investment to produce MCC? Microsoft are decent at sales estimation.

Welfare

Question, does anyone know the sales numbers for MCC? According to that banned site it's 2 million +

I'm wondering the resources investment to produce MCC? Microsoft are decent at sales estimation.
All we know is that in the US, sales were over 1 million by the end of 2014.

Also chartzz is not good at all when it comes to software sales.

Akai__

In-game Leaderboards say 800.000+ people have played Pillar of Autumn. I doubt everyone enabled scoring or timing, so it could be a lot more.

Welfare

In-game Leaderboards say 800.000+ people have played Pillar of Autumn. I doubt everyone enabled scoring or timing, so it could be a lot more.

From what I remember, leaderboard numbers are fucked. That could've changed.

Multiplayer leaderboards in Halo 5.

Computer

H2A ricochet is a blast to play. To bad no one votes for anything other then slayer. I hope this game type is in Halo 5.

NOKYARD

Now, that you mentioned it. I know of 2 tricks:

1. Using a Grenade and Hammer to get onto the 45° pillar and walk to the top of the tower. (Might want to clear the area 1st)

2. When the fight on the top begins, kill 5 enemies and then jump down from the tower. It will deload every enemy and the doors will open early.

Those are probably some very useful tips for this and for the LASO achievement.
Yes, the main trick is to get all 4 players on top of the spire from the far left side (search youtube).

Two more tricks:

When the team gets to the top of the tower run all the way back down and wait for a checkpoint for about 20 seconds. Repeat until Johnson (343?) gives the all clear. You don't need to kill any enemies at the top.

First one up should go and knock Johnson off the edge, wait till he respawns and kill him again. The Laser he drops will have infinite ammo.

Speaking of achievements. The Halo 2 Commuter Achievement (Metropolis without vehicles) is one of the most satisfying and challenging things i have done in the game. It's a game of balancing the Marine and Elite's AI.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Should I fire up MCC tonight?

Thinking.......

Thinking.........

Thought Found......

Organizing Thought.......

Joining Thought.......

Thought Lost.

Yup that about sums up my answer. Nevermind. Diablo 3 it is!

SalientOne

Internet Batman
If you're able to, mind answering two questions?

I'll never tell... :p

I loved the original Turok on N64. With the reboot, Disney had the license for the original 1950s comic book series not the video games so we were limited in terms of the content that we could include. For example, we couldn't use the Cerebral Bore.

I am proud of what we achieved as a start-up studio, taking on next-gen development across multiple platforms right out of the gate and delivering our first game. We tried to stay true to the spirit of the original games while building what was in a lot of ways a new IP.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I loved the original Turok on N64. With the reboot, Disney had the license for the original 1950s comic book series not the video games so we were limited in terms of the content that we could include. For example, we couldn't use the Cerebral Bore.

I am proud of what we achieved as a start-up studio, taking on next-gen development across multiple platforms right out of the gate and delivering our first game. We tried to stay true to the spirit of the original games while building what was in a lot of ways a new IP.

I first saw Turok as a wee child when I was at my cousins house. He started playing it on his N64 and killed some things with the Cerebral Bore. Little ol' me was absolutely terrified and ran out of the room screaming.

^
I'll never tell... :p
I believe you just did! I can see why you got that tag as you just cured some of my pain through knowledge lol. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter and Turok 2: Seeds of Evil hold very special places in my heart, a deep, dark void full of equal amounts of happiness and sorrow. I understood at the time why some of the changes had to be made, but didn't know to what extent you must have been limited. The game was a lot of fun and had potential with its multiplayer, especially with the bow, so too bad it won't see a less restricted sequel! Hopefully we'll see another Turok game one day.

RIP Old Friend

Please put a Tek Bow in Halo 5 <3

Madness

It is.

Just gonna say why.

You don't get slower when you use ADS. You aren't gimped in any way. You just slam a gun but into your visor. I may not care for it, but it really is cosmetic only as in if you were to switch it out with a zoom aesthetic, there'd be no difference.

You honestly have to play the game first Ryn. It's definitely not only visual. You are absolutely slower when you use ADS because of stabilizers being on by default. What does this mean? Well for the majority of players, especially those who will never turn them off, they cannot jump up and down quickly or side to side with them on. They will just hover slowly in the air.

Additionally, no past games did not have the accuracy, spread, and range you get when you now ADS with SMG or AR. I can't wait to see what a plasma rifle will be like scoped. Halo 5 is in a category all by itself here.

I won't even mention Prophets Bane, rocket launcher, sniper etc. I'll just say, that coupled with the flinch that is evident in the game when you hipfire, there is no way anyone should be able to say ADS is visual only or identical to the past games. (Doesn't matter if they say flinch is a bug after the fact).

Top Bottom