• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Madness

I'll never tell... :p

I loved the original Turok on N64. With the reboot, Disney had the license for the original 1950s comic book series not the video games so we were limited in terms of the content that we could include. For example, we couldn't use the Cerebral Bore.

I am proud of what we achieved as a start-up studio, taking on next-gen development across multiple platforms right out of the gate and delivering our first game. We tried to stay true to the spirit of the original games while building what was in a lot of ways a new IP.

Any idea on when you'll put out something about the beta and how it went?

You honestly have to play the game first Ryn. It's definitely not only visual. You are absolutely slower when you use ADS because of stabilizers being on by default. What does this mean? Well for the majority of players, especially those who will never turn them off, they cannot jump up and down quickly or side to side with them on. They will just hover slowly in the air.

Additionally, no past games did not have the accuracy, spread, and range you get when you now ADS with SMG or AR. I can't wait to see what a plasma rifle will be like scoped. Halo 5 is in a category all by itself here.

I won't even mention Prophets Bane, rocket launcher, sniper etc. I'll just say, that coupled with the flinch that is evident in the game when you hipfire, there is no way anyone should be able to say ADS is visual only or identical to the past games. (Doesn't matter if they say flinch is a bug after the fact).

You are seriously reaching here, man.

Madness

Do we actually know if scope slows down base movement? It didn't seem like it did.

What do stabilzers have to do with base movement? That's a iron/bronze tier statement if I ever saw one.

You are seriously reaching here, man.

Reaching for what? Ryn said it was visual only. We're talking about ADS vs hipfire. Which means there is no difference between hip firing and scoped firing, when by default you can't jump side to side when scoped, but you can when hip firing and you could in older games. You have to actually turn it off in the menus, but that is something that the majority will not do.

Though I can't say for certain whether you are slower when scoped. I'd get killed if I was testing out stuff, but definitely when scoped and walking with the light rifle, I definitely felt slower than with an AR. Maybe the larger zoom is what caused that feeling.

Welfare

Additionally, no past games did not have the accuracy, spread, and range you get when you now ADS with SMG or AR. I can't wait to see what a plasma rifle will be like scoped. Halo 5 is in a category all by itself here.
Exactly what I said.

AR never had a scope. SMG (non-silenced) never had a scope. Infact, no automatics ever had a scope besides the Silenced SMG. They had binoculars.

ADS on every weapon artificially gives automatics scopes that they never had in the first place.

Reaching for what? Ryn said it was visual only. We're talking about ADS vs hipfire. Which means there is no difference between hip firing and scoped firing, when by default you can't jump side to side when scoped, but you can when hip firing and you could in older games. You have to actually turn it off in the menus, but that is something that the majority will not do.

Though I can't say for certain whether you are slower when scoped. I'd get killed if I was testing out stuff, but definitely when scoped and walking with the light rifle, I definitely felt slower than with an AR. Maybe the larger zoom is what caused that feeling.

[Citation needed.]

You're every bit as mobile when scoping as you are in anything else, despite the auto-stabilizer option.

FoV is smaller during ADS, so movement appears to be slower.

Halo 3 in glorious 150 degree field of view

Man, Halo should be 100-110 FOV, it feels so low at the moment.

Also, comments are full of disgusting people

IYgX6AM.png

Madness

[Citation needed.]

You're every bit as mobile when scoping as you are in anything else, despite the auto-stabilizer option.

One jump and you're stuck in the air slowly descending and can't go side to side. Whereas in the past games, movement is literally identical in terms of hip firing and zoom, whether you're strafing left right, hopping around.

C'mon, citation needed to know that a small setting in the menu won't be touched by the majority of players who won't even know it's there? Unless you know what stabilizers are, and how they're on by default and how this impacts your jumping and shooting and running and gunning ability, you won't change it. Plus I'm willing to bet that the majority of new players won't even change control schemes from default either.

-Ryn

Banned
I first saw Turok as a wee child when I was at my cousins house. He started playing it on his N64 and killed some things with the Cerebral Bore. Little ol' me was absolutely terrified and ran out of the room screaming.
werwequvt.gif

Heh heh... I love these. I'm laughing like such an idiot.

You honestly have to play the game first Ryn. It's definitely not only visual. You are absolutely slower when you use ADS because of stabilizers being on by default. What does this mean? Well for the majority of players, especially those who will never turn them off, they cannot jump up and down quickly or side to side with them on. They will just hover slowly in the air.

I won't even mention Prophets Bane, rocket launcher, sniper etc. I'll just say, that coupled with the flinch that is evident in the game when you hipfire, there is no way anyone should be able to say ADS is visual only or identical to the past games. (Doesn't matter if they say flinch is a bug after the fact).
Well I mean I was comparing ADS to Zoom.

I'll take your word for it that I need to play it to get a feel for the way it affects speed when you have stabilizers on auto activation. However I don't think that's a valid argument for why ADS is different to zoom since it is an optional activation method. As for the difference between hip fire and ADS, yeah there is definitely a difference in your range and spread. However zoom was the same way. So the only real difference is in fact cosmetic between zoom and ADS. It's a really annoying difference, but it's still the only difference.

Prophets Bane, Rocket Launcher and Sniper would all be exactly the same as they are now if there were zoom on the instead of ADS. I say this because I don't think anyone would be saying its ADS if 343 had just kept zoom and added zoom in fire to autos and the other weapons.

FoV is smaller during ADS, so movement appears to be slower.

Halo 3 in glorious 150 degree field of view
...I don't know where I've been...

One jump and you're stuck in the air slowly descending and can't go side to side. Whereas in the past games, movement is literally identical in terms of hip firing and zoom, whether you're strafing left right, hopping around.

C'mon, citation needed to know that a small setting in the menu won't be touched by the majority of players who won't even know it's there? Unless you know what stabilizers are, and how they're on by default and how this impacts your jumping and shooting and running and gunning ability, you won't change it. Plus I'm willing to bet that the majority of new players won't even change control schemes from default either.

The majority of people do change the control scheme. A plurality will stick with it, but almost everybody tweaks their settings.

And I don't think I saw anyone out of their first 10 games stabilizing constantly. Hell, it was one of the least-used maneuvers, right above the slide. Clearly, it's not the impediment you're making it out to be.

Madness

The majority of people do change the control scheme. A plurality will stick with it, but almost everybody tweaks their settings.

And I don't think I saw anyone out of their first 10 games stabilizing constantly. Hell, it was one of the least-used maneuvers, right above the slide. Clearly, it's not the impediment you're making it out to be.

So you reject my anecdotal observations for your own? Okay... But again, you're speaking something completely different than what I was. I'm not talking about how many are using stabilizer or whether it was an impediment. My argument was against Ryn who said like the past games, it's only visual. When I've given you a factual, by default change in ADS vs hipfire. Whether you saw it it is besides the point.

As it stands, BY DEFAULT, you cannot jump up and down quickly, or to the side while scoped compared to past games or even to hipfire.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Just checked my personal email and saw I missed 2 h5 beta surveys... Doh. What's with the 1 day time limit on them?

So you reject my anecdotal observations for your own? Okay... But again, you're speaking something completely different than what I was. I'm not talking about how many are using stabilizer or whether it was an impediment. My argument was against Ryn who said like the past games, it's only visual. When I've given you a factual, by default change in ADS vs hipfire. Whether you saw it it is besides the point.

As it stands, BY DEFAULT, you cannot jump up and down quickly, or to the side while scoped compared to past games or even to hipfire.

But it's still a setting! An option! In the context of real gameplay, as opposed to forum theorycrafting, it's a non-factor. If auto-stabilize reduces effectiveness (as it seems to) it won't be an issue. I agree that they need to up base movement speed, though, it felt rather sluggish.

Although you're right about anecdotal evidence being useless.

Madness

But it's still a setting! An option! In the context of real gameplay, as opposed to forum theorycrafting, it's a non-factor. If auto-stabilize reduces effectiveness (as it seems to) it won't be an issue. I agree that they need to up base movement speed, though, it felt rather sluggish.

Although you're right about anecdotal evidence being useless.

Maybe I'm not saying it right? I'm not arguing about the effectiveness of stabilizer, whether it's an impediment to gameplay etc. I'm literally just saying, by default, you cannot scope your weapon or zoom and jump around and shoot. As soon as you jump in the air you're stuck in a slow hover, which is something that doesn't happen when hip firing or when zoomed in the past games. So literally, aiming/zooming in this game, by default, is not identical to hip firing or is the same as past games.

Dont get me wrong, I get what you're saying but it wasn't the point I was making. Some people liked turning stabilizers off so that they could then choose to enable them in game for an added layer of complexity to their shooting. You know high level players will do the same.

-Ryn

Banned
I think this is all the more reason there needs to be a Titanfall esque training sim at the start of the game. It'll walk you through the changes and settings there are. Perhaps it could also have battle sims you could do with each weapon. Though that last bit might just be unnecessary since there's custom games..

Maybe I'm not saying it right? I'm not arguing about the effectiveness of stabilizer, whether it's an impediment to gameplay etc. I'm literally just saying, by default, you cannot scope your weapon or zoom and jump around and shoot. As soon as you jump in the air you're stuck in a slow hover, which is something that doesn't happen when hip firing or when zoomed in the past games. So literally, aiming/zooming in this game, by default, is not identical to hip firing or is the same as past games.

Dont get me wrong, I get what you're saying but it wasn't the point I was making. Some people liked turning stabilizers off so that they could then choose to enable them in game for an added layer of complexity to their shooting. You know high level players will do the same.

I guess my impression at this point is that you're arguing against it on principal? It doesn't negatively impact actual gameplay, so I'm not sure what else to make of it.

I think this is all the more reason there needs to be a Titanfall esque training sim at the start of the game. It'll walk you through the changes and settings there are. Perhaps it could also have battle sims you could do with each weapon. Though that last bit might just be unnecessary since there's custom games..

I'd recommend starting it with Locke's Spartan-IV training. I wonder if Chief will have the same abilities or if it will be more of a classic Halo vs. new Halo sort of deal.

RBK

Banned
Got my first Snipers match on Terminal. Went 0-7 in like 3 minutes.

Quit and loaded up BF4. Just couldn't cope.

Madness

I guess my impression at this point is that you're arguing against it on principal? It doesn't negatively impact actual gameplay, so I'm not sure what else to make of it.

Go and read my first post, the one I responded to against Ryn and tell me what I was arguing against on principal or whether or not it negatively impacted gameplay. The whole discussion was framed around whether ADS was visual, how it's not the same as hipfire and how it's different from the past games. I never said gameplay was worse off because of it, I said you're slower when using ADS because of it, which you are by default.

Go and read my first post, the one I responded to against Ryn and tell me what I was arguing against on principal or whether or not it negatively impacted gameplay. The whole discussion was framed around whether ADS was visual, how it's not the same as hipfire and how it's different from the past games. I never said gameplay was worse off because of it, I said you're slower when using ADS because of it, which you are by default.

Ahhhh yeah, I get it now. I guess that technically (very, very technically), that's true. Though, again, I'd say that the real world gameplay impact is basically zero.

-Ryn

Banned
I'd recommend starting it with Locke's Spartan-IV training. I wonder if Chief will have the same abilities or if it will be more of a classic Halo vs. new Halo sort of deal.
I was actually thinking it would just be your multiplayer Spartan going through a combat sim but that would work as well and potentially be interesting.

Welfare

I would actually like this in campaign. More traditional Halo gameplay with Chief, and the other with Locke. Would be more interesting than your flashlight turning into camo.

I would actually like this in campaign. More traditional Halo gameplay with Chief, and the other with Locke. Would be more interesting than your flashlight turning into camo.

Random fact of the day: a mate showed me in Halo 3 coop the other night Elites can use the flashlight like a Spartan but it doesn't show a light source on their model.

I'd be down for old vs. new campaign characters. Hello new invasion mode too.

I first saw Turok as a wee child when I was at my cousins house. He started playing it on his N64 and killed some things with the Cerebral Bore. Little ol' me was absolutely terrified and ran out of the room screaming.
Redemption never hits the snooze button.
Wouldn't mind switching between old school and new school gameplay styles. It'd actually be pretty fresh and exciting.
Same.

Hope for potential CE DLC?
lol

The longer the delay in this preview patch and the notes on it make me feel much stronger about the crazy matchmaking theory that I posted on Reddit and here.

They likely revamped the 2015 multiplayer system based on feedback from the halo 5 beta. We are getting a patch with a complete swap of the code.

I have some faith that this might be the one.

Welfare

But did it crash when loading up?

The longer the delay in this preview patch and the notes on it make me feel much stronger about the crazy matchmaking theory that I posted on Reddit and here.

They likely revamped the 2015 multiplayer system based on feedback from the halo 5 beta. We are getting a patch with a complete swap of the code.

I have some faith that this might be the one.
It's 343. Get rid of the faith. We aren't even getting patches for non multiplayer issues for some fucking reason.

Madness

Yeah I don't know why they honestly told us about the beta patch program. They're definitely not going to put it out this weekend because of super bowl Sunday, so that means either next week or weekend at the earliest.

Just makes them look bad if they announce things only to delay for weeks. And I was all set to help them test out the update.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
It would have been perfect if that 4hour wait lobby crashed on map join.

Mix

On the subject of FOV. What is the value for Destiny?
That is one game where I actually felt some sort of tunnel vision effect while playing. Kinda jarring.

Funny you brought that up, zoojoo and I were playing earlier and I was complaining about how narrow it felt. Honestly, any estimation over 60 degrees is probably incorrect. It's crazy how narrow it feels.

Also, it's 2015, why don't console shooters have FOV sliders yet?

Madness

Funny you brought that up, zoojoo and I were playing earlier and I was complaining about how narrow it felt. Honestly, any estimation over 60 degrees is probably incorrect. It's crazy how narrow it feels.

Also, it's 2015, why don't console shooters have FOV sliders yet?

I think someone on reddit said it's 70, either slightly above or below that. I agree, sliders are a must, or at least make sure 90 is what you're targeting these days.

Booshka

Consoles are way too underpowered to have a FoV slider, or hell even FoV of 90, unless they make it look like a last gen game. Which would be preferable imo, make it clean, simple, 1080p, 60 FPS, 90 FoV and I don't care about all the bells and whistles of crazy "next gen" graphics. The priority for graphics over game performance and gameplay overall isn't worth it.

Top Bottom