• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Confirmation that the majority of people don't mind sprint just like what we were told before.

Modifications so sprint can be removed in custom games.

Increased base movement speed and reduced sprint speed.

Still arguing about sprint and the methods of an online survey.

Come on, can't we move on and start arguing about motion tracker? I know funk will be happier.

Hardcore competitive community is pure black and white...they believe sprint has ZERO place in Halo...all together.

In my opinion, sprint is a non-issue. There are a load of other issues that could create a split in the Halo community. At the end of the day, I'm personally not competing in Halo for money...but I do want to play a fair and balanced Halo...I'm more concerned about the default starting weapons.

Computer

Yeah same here actually. I actually would've been fine had they simply left sprint untouched and upped the base movement speed to be honest. Halo 5 sprint was pretty gimped and balanced as it was already what with it resetting the shield recharge delay AND damage knocking you out of sprint before attaining top speed (~1-2 seconds).

Also, given these toggle options would that mean that if sprint were toggled off both Charge and Slide would be impossible, seeing as they were rooted to being performed at max speed?

For shits 'n giggles I occasionally watch randos play Reach on Twitch and just last week I noticed that within the MLG playlist they played on a DIFFERENT forged version of Sanctuary than the one that was shipped with the game. Like... the hell? Was it that the Bungie-made Forge Sanctuary had the open cliff side or...? Whatever the case, even though I sometimes wish to play competitively, I found I couldn't ever really get into MLG Reach simply because it all looked like that same Forerunner grey to me--like with the maps used they even attempted to use the bits of actual terrain on the Forge World.

That is another thing. With base speed being faster and max speeds slower. Will it take less time/distance to reach top speed in order to do a shoulder charge? If so that is a bad thing. Also how dose this effect the Prophets Bane?

Fuchsdh

Thing is, the 11% is of how many people surveyed?

I understand that a scale of 1 to 5 is usually bad for getting a straight black and white answer on something.

Here's a tweet yesterday from Holmes: https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/with_replies
Josh Holmes @JoshingtonState
@Jawshe_XBL I thought it was pretty simple. “In Halo I like to sprint”; agree/disagree on 5 point scale. 11% includes both disagree picks.

I remember the question too when I took the survey. There were five options...first two were for sprint, middle was don't care, and last two were against sprint. So I understand where he's getting "includes both disagree picks", but we still don't know how many people were surveyed.

We all know it's not 19,000 people surveyed...it was far less than that.

If it was say...1000 people surveyed, then 11% would equal 110 people who voted for one of the two disagree picks.

If 19,000 people were surveyed (which they weren't) then 11% would equal 2090 people voting for one of the two disagree picks.

All things aside though...their sample size in my opinion isn't large enough to be making these types of interpretations.

I posted over in beyond's forums...and I'll say it here...sprint is the least of everyone's worries when it comes to HCS. There is this fear that if HCS doesn't include sprint and default playlists obviously do...that it will somehow change the entire scope of the game and create a split in the community...I cannot believe that at all.

Things like starting weapons, weapons on map, player damage, player gravity, power weapon placement, powerup placement, etc....if all of that is drastically different from vanilla...then that's what will create the split. You're not going to have players going into HCS saying..."screw this im not playing without sprint."

You don't need a large sample at all to make reasonable determinations with a low margin of error.

If we assumed the "Halo playerbase population" in total was 10 million, and we wanted a 95% confidence level with a +/-5% MoE, that's still only 384 people.

Your opinion on sample sizes doesn't really jive with how statistics is practiced in the real world.

Madness

In one of the interviews, they said it was important that any changes to movement also work well with what they're doing for campaign or the larger things in multiplayer. Who knows what they've really got planned for BTB. Ntkrnl said maps were massive, and they did admit the reason they made sprint unlimited is because they didn't want you to be frustrated having to get somewhere but only having 2 second bursts left etc.

The competitive scene will be interesting. Their most popular pro is Ninja who liked Halo 5 a lot, but has been really vocal against sprint (#nosprint) and really liked the fact they have toggles. You can bet they'll lobby hard to have HCS/eSports not have sprint. 343 is in a tough spot. Either have all matchmaking modes and competitive scene equal, and risk having pros just not want to play much or enjoy, or fall into the old problem of the competitive game starting to move away from the base game. This was a big issue in Reach and Halo 4. In Halo CE, 2, 3 going from regular Team Slayer to MLG or hardcore was just slightly different weapon spawns, small changes in health, movement, shields. However, in Reach and Halo 4, there was wide variation between the base game and the competitive modes.

Impala26

Confirmation that the majority of people don't mind sprint just like what we were told before.

Come on, can't we move on and start arguing about motion tracker? I know funk will be happier.

We did ever-so-briefly yesterday, but then it was lost under the mountain of discussion you just mentioned.

I suggested making a "ping" based one (akin to how actual RADAR works, updating every few seconds) and he suggested a sound-based one.

HTupolev

Here's a tweet yesterday from Holmes:
Josh Holmes @JoshingtonState
@Jawshe_XBL I thought it was pretty simple. “In Halo I like to sprint”; agree/disagree on 5 point scale. 11% includes both disagree picks.
Uh, really?

"a portion of the Halo community strongly prefers to play without sprint. The results from the HCFP surveys showed that nearly 11% of HCFP participants felt that Halo should not have sprint."

If the "play without sprint" is the 5-point scale, why didn't they simply say that 11% of participants fall into the disagreement part of this question, rather than assigning the 11% to a later "Halo should not have sprint" description that sounds suspiciously like a precise quote of something that 343i would place in a farther-down contextual tree. Which according to NDA breakers, it is. I strongly suspect that there's been a miscommunication in presenting the poll results.

CyReN

In one of the interviews, they said it was important that any changes to movement also work well with what they're doing for campaign or the larger things in multiplayer. Who knows what they've really got planned for BTB. Ntkrnl said maps were massive, and they did admit the reason they made sprint unlimited is because they didn't want you to be frustrated having to get somewhere but only having 2 second bursts left etc.

The competitive scene will be interesting. Their most popular pro is Ninja who liked Halo 5 a lot, but has been really vocal against sprint (#nosprint) and really liked the fact they have toggles. You can bet they'll lobby hard to have HCS/eSports not have sprint. 343 is in a tough spot. Either have all matchmaking modes and competitive scene equal, and risk having pros just not want to play much or enjoy, or fall into the old problem of the competitive game starting to move away from the base game. This was a big issue in Reach and Halo 4. In Halo CE, 2, 3 going from regular Team Slayer to MLG or hardcore was just slightly different weapon spawns, small changes in health, movement, shields. However, in Reach and Halo 4, there was wide variation between the base game and the competitive modes.

That when it's going to get interesting, most competitive players want the game to be playable out of the box with minimal changes. Once you start to get away from it you lose the potential of new fans wanting to watch and understand the game. Cool to have the NS option, but can already see the debates regarding it for competitive play. Really comes down to the maps now and if there was enough that work without it.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
You don't need a large sample at all to make reasonable determinations with a low margin of error.

If we assumed the "Halo playerbase population" in total was 10 million, and we wanted a 95% confidence level with a +/-5% MoE, that's still only 384 people.

Your opinion on sample sizes doesn't really jive with how statistics is practiced in the real world.

I still don't agree with small sample sizes dictating answers. At this point though, I think it's time to move on and focus on other non-sprint things.

The decreased sprint speed and the increased base speed are good things. I still want to know what the default starting weapons are going to be. Personally, that's going to make or break the enjoyment of the game for me.

During the three weeks of the beta:
AR/Pistol starts, I hated this, barely played a few games, I simply could not enjoy it.

BR/Pistol starts, I hated this too.

AR/BR starts, this was awesome, I couldn't get enough of Halo 5.

Then on the last weekend of the beta...they go and screw it up and switch back to AR/Pistol...ugh. I barely played two games that last weekend, I tried to keep an open mind to that but I couldn't.

AR/BR start needs to be the default Halo 5 weapons.

My feeling with the toggles is that so long as everything else (maps, base movement, starting weapons, the other Spartan Abilities) works out of the box for competitive, having no sprint checked for competitive play isn't that big a deal. It's a smaller divide than a lot of the games in the series have had.

HTupolev

I still don't agree with small sample sizes dictating answers.
Fuchsdh's post doesn't really delve into the issue of results eccentricity and confidence, but he's right in claiming that sample size isn't the issue. If there's a sampling problem, it'll be due to the representativeness of "people who signed up for this survey" versus the population they're trying to poll from, not the sample size.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
My feeling with the maps is that so long as everything else (maps, base movement, starting weapons, the other Spartan Abilities) works out of the box for competitive, having no sprint checked for competitive play isn't that big a deal. It's a smaller divide than a lot of the games in the series have had.

I agree. If HCS playlist goes the route of having no sprint, no Spartan abilities, specific weapons on map being banned, starting weapons being just the BR...player damage being tweaked from default, gravity being tweaked from default, etc....that's what makes the game different.

Having sprint or not sprint doesn't do that at all.

If the worry is that maps will be too large...I'd also disagree with that statement too, if sprint is off, then increase base speed a bit, find a middle ground.

For the history of Halo esports...the game has always been changed so drastic from its vanilla, it made it play like a completely different game.

Halo 2 = no duals on map, BR starts. No radar.

Halo 3 = BR starts, no duals on maps, banned weapons, banned equipment, then messing with the weapon placement on the maps, increasing player damage, increasing player movement speed, gravity, etc. This made the MLG game look and play completely different from vanilla.

Reach = Pretty much similar to Halo 3.

Halo 4 - I didn't play enough of the esports playlist, so I can't comment on this.

Sprint is such a moot point...it's all the other things that need to be the same as vanilla in order to prevent a community split.

I agree. If HCS playlist goes the route of having no sprint, no Spartan abilities, specific weapons on map being banned, starting weapons being just the BR...player damage being tweaked from default, gravity being tweaked from default, etc....that's what makes the game different.
-snip-
Having sprint or not sprint doesn't do that at all.
Halo 4 - I didn't play enough of the esports playlist, so I can't comment on this.

Pretty much.

And I think the only really credible "esports" playlist from 4 is Legendary BRs, which is wildly different from regular team slayer. So that's another in the huge divide category.

SaganIsGOAT

I think the big takeaway from the 11% is that the other options presented good alternatives to the way Sprint functions in Halo. I don't remember specifics of the questions but I believe 343 presented some interesting alternatives to the way sprint functioned in the Halo 5 beta. Of course the numbers would be different if the answer was simply yes or no, but that doesn't offer 343 any insightful feedback; it's too black or white.

What 343 should have done is broke down the percentages to

- "x percentage of people don't want sprint in Halo"

-"y percentage of people want sprint in Halo but with modifications from what was presented in the beta"

Vooduu

223449v3ch5e7f772gte9g.jpg

:)

FyreWulff

Now that they've announced the toggles, there's potential that anything broken can be pulled out of the game at a later date even after launch. Shipping Reach technically had the ability to pull AAs -including- sprint out of the game (and some were headed that way), and now Halo 5 has the ability to pull sprint or any of the spartan abilities.

Halo 4 was the only one stuck with sprinting due to how they set the game up.

I seriously hope this time that the game actually ships with weapon tune capability, though, and exposes it to the players via game settings.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Now that they've announced the toggles, there's potential that anything broken can be pulled out of the game at a later date even after launch. Shipping Reach technically had the ability to pull AAs -including- sprint out of the game (and some were headed that way), and now Halo 5 has the ability to pull sprint or any of the spartan abilities.

Halo 4 was the only one stuck with sprinting due to how they set the game up.

I seriously hope this time that the game actually ships with weapon tune capability, though, and exposes it to the players via game settings.

Individual weapon tuning? Like, increasing/decreasing individual weapons? That would be awesome!

Madness

Pretty much.

And I think the only really credible "esports" playlist from 4 is Legendary BRs, which is wildly different from regular team slayer. So that's another in the huge divide category.

Team Slayer Pro and Team Throwdown were the playlists I think, while Legendary Slayer/BR's mimicked classic game play the best. I don't know, while of course having changes in jump height, fall damage, shields, movement, weapon spawns may make the game feel completely different to those who play the game at high levels, I think it's when game play features are changed or turned off is where they lose a lot of fans and people. The average viewer or player, who plays Team Slayer is going to be more affected if they can't sprint (something they will probably be overwhelmingly used to) or there is no motion tracker/radar rather than noticing their shields are going down a split second faster or that a certain power up is no longer on the map. Does that make sense or is it just me? Obviously though, the best for everyone will be to have a game that is just pick up and play, both for average fans and for competitive. Keep the games play almost similarly.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Yeah. The stuff they added to Reach and Halo 4 later on down the road.

I tweeted Holmes the question on weapon tuning...lets see if he bites ;)

EDIT: Looks like it's unlikely. Holmes replied back saying
‏@JoshingtonState · 7m7 minutes ago
@TTUVAPOR That would be very tough for a host of different reasons.

Team Slayer Pro and Team Throwdown were the playlists I think, while Legendary Slayer/BR's mimicked classic game play the best. I don't know, while of course having changes in jump height, fall damage, shields, movement, weapon spawns may make the game feel completely different to those who play the game at high levels, I think it's when game play features are changed or turned off is where they lose a lot of fans and people. The average viewer or player, who plays Team Slayer is going to be more affected if they can't sprint (something they will probably be overwhelmingly used to) or there is no motion tracker/radar rather than noticing their shields are going down a split second faster or that a certain power up is no longer on the map. Does that make sense or is it just me? Obviously though, the best for everyone will be to have a game that is just pick up and play, both for average fans and for competitive. Keep the games play almost similarly.

Not being able to sprint will be something I think players can easily adapt to. It's black and white, sprint is on or off.

When the game starts getting tweaked all over the place just for esports...it's much tougher for players to understand these changes.

No sprint, no motion tracker...okay, I think they will understand that.

If they're getting killed faster than base game, or weapons are in different places, or weapons are banned, etc, then you're really starting to confuse the player.

To me, having no sprint in Halo is no different than COD barebones, or CODAW having the no-EXO suit playlists...that's pretty damn simple to understand.

It'd be an interesting and helpful feature if you could use a checklist to enable / disable specific weapons from the actual gametype, the way Weapon Sets worked in CE / 2. Maybe even throw in some replacement abilities, where the weapon's options were "ENABLED / DISABLED / UNCHANGED / REPLACE WITH" and with Replace With, you could specify a new weapon of choice. It'd be an easy way to set up classic gametypes.

Blueblur1

I agree with you. For a while I've been thinking that it would be way more productive to discuss other aspects of the game that could possibly use some tweaking/improvement.

Has the blue team advantage been addressed (ie the dark maps making blue players difficult to see)?

I really hope this gets fixed.

Easy solution: make H5G cel-shaded, give players outlines of their team color like in SSB4. Everyone gets to use their custom colors in team games.

Madness

Not being able to sprint will be something I think players can easily adapt to. It's black and white, sprint is on or off.

When the game starts getting tweaked all over the place just for esports...it's much tougher for players to understand these changes.

If they're getting killed faster than base game, or weapons are in different places, or weapons are banned, etc, then you're really starting to confuse the player.

To me, having no sprint in Halo is no different than COD barebones, or CODAW having the no-EXO suit playlists...that's pretty damn simple to understand.

I don't know, I mean on the one hand, yeah the changes are very black and white, it's either there or not there. But on the other hand, the change has a huge impact on game play. They will adapt faster to say, a certain weapon not being on the map, as opposed to being asked to play team slayer without motion tracker mo

I'm talking from a more general population standpoint, the viewers/players. It's not reduced grenade damage, higher gravity, increased speed that will turn them off from wanting to play, so much so as the fact that they've played 400 games with sprint and motion tracker and so and so spartan ability and then being asked to play without it. Competitive players will definitely adapt quicker, but I'm talking the overall population. A comparable analogy would be, imagine Capcom changes the frames of Ryu's spin kick to be slightly faster, as opposed to cutting out hadouken altogether for competitive play. Are the average players, who play with friends or themselves going to notice the fact the animation is faster and how it can affect play, or that a major move they used is no longer there.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely get what you're saying, but over the years, talking with people on gamefaqs, Bungie.net, other places, reading waypoint, I get the feeling what turns them off isn't the small tweaks, but that it doesn't allow them to do what they normally can do, plus things like MLG, hardcore, Pro really turn them off as well.

Impala26

Has the blue team advantage been addressed (ie the dark maps making blue players difficult to see)?

I really hope this gets fixed.

Red versus Green?
Opposite colors based on color theory after all and hey, Christmas celebration colors all year long!

jem0208

I really don't think you're right here. People are going to have a much easier time understand different weapons or kill times than the removal of an integral ability. You can sprint in any map, holding any weapon, at any time.

It's very easy to understand and adapt to different starting weapons, or banned weapons. The thought which will go through most people's minds will just be "okay, this map doesn't have that weapon". And many playlists already have different starting weapons. Kill times being adjusted is also easy to adapt to because there's nothing a player needs to actively do to get used to the change. Playlists like Breakout show that, and to a more extreme extent, so does Swat. Players understand and can play these modes without much change to their playstyle.

Removing sprint is a much larger change. It's a universal ability which people will reflexively try to use. Most people will need to consciously change their playstyle to suit the lack of sprint. It's got a pretty big effect on the game.

It's easy to understand the lack of sprint, however it's hard to adapt to it.

This isn't to say they should or shouldn't remove sprint for competitive, only that the change is bigger than you think and definitely would be harder to adapt to than different weapon placements etc.

Has anyone read this? Can someone else propose their opinions of this.

http://business.financialpost.com/2...w-beta-data-will-help-shape-the-games-future/

I thought this bit was quite interesting:
“So as you can imagine, we’re building a foundation of gameplay that translates over to the other larger experiences we have planned for multiplayer, that we haven’t revealed yet, as well as our campaign. So we’re trying to find the balance within the mobility that works well for all of these different modes,” said Holmes.

“I think some of the criticism of having that limitation mechanic is linked to the lack of predictability [it would cause] – how much sprint you can have at a given time. If you went to sprint and then run-out unexpectedly, and the frustration that causes with players.”

Another hint at some major distinction between classic Arena and BTB. I'm really curious as to what they have planned.

RSB

Banned
There was no mention of classic scopes, or ADS being one of the toggle options, so it's almost a given its here to stay as well. It's not going anywhere.

Not so long as Metro reviewers, EGM reviewers, and CoD kids keep calling them old fashioned for it.
But, would that really be a problem if classic scope was just an option? They'd only need to make ADS the default option, just like the LT to zoom is now the default control scheme.

Anyway, if 343 can't even bother to include a classic scope option in the game (seriously, it's just a circle in the middle of the screen, it can't be that hard) then I guess I'm done with the series. Sad.

I really don't think you're right here. People are going to have a much easier time understand different weapons or kill times than the removal of an integral ability. You can sprint in any map, holding any weapon, at any time.

It's very easy to understand and adapt to different starting weapons, or banned weapons. The thought which will go through most people's minds will just be "okay, this map doesn't have that weapon". And many playlists already have different starting weapons. Kill times being adjusted is also easy to adapt to because there's nothing a player needs to actively do to get used to the change. Playlists like Breakout show that, and to a more extreme extent, so does Swat. Players understand and can play these modes without much change to their playstyle.

Removing sprint is a much larger change. It's a universal ability which people will reflexively try to use. Most people will need to consciously change their playstyle to suit the lack of sprint. It's got a pretty big effect on the game.

This isn't to say they should or shouldn't remove sprint for competitive, only that the change is bigger than you think and definitely would be harder to adapt to than different weapon placements etc.

I thought this bit was quite interesting:

Another hint at some major distinction between classic Arena and BTB. I'm really curious as to what they have planned.

I don't think Halo 5 will be anything like previous Halos. Which is cool if you don't like Halo or just really love new things, but it's not going to be fun for a lot of Halo fans :/

TTUVAPOR

Banned

I get what you're saying, but I still think if all things in the game were to remain the same between vanilla and esports...having no sprint in esports would not cause a global divide in the community. If additional things were changed/banned between vanilla and esports excluding sprint...then that will start to create a clear distinction between the two and thus create a barrier of entry for new players into Halo esports.

Halo 5 is quite a bit like the previous Halos, though.

No it is not.

You can sprint forever
Scope in is now a hybrid ADS
There are thruster packs
You can ground pound
You can slide
You can shoulder charge
The average "Arena Map" is the side of a small BTB map in Halo 1-3

And IMO none of these things add anything of merit to this game. They are either unecessary or subtract from the game. Which is why a lot of Halo fans are really upset at 343.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I don't think Halo 5 will be anything like previous Halos. Which is cool if you don't like Halo or just really love new things, but it's not going to be fun for a lot of Halo fans :/

What.

Halo 4 was the crazy out-there game. For 5 they brought back a lot of classic Halo elements (weapons on map, no loadouts, map control, etc.). Halo 5 will be a lot closer to Halo 2/3 than 4 was, and is looking like a solid Halo game. If you don't see that it's still Halo I'm not sure what defines "Halo" to you.

Then again, you've been bitching about Halo 5 forever now. Maybe it's just not for you.

What.

Halo 4 was the crazy out-there game. For 5 they brought back a lot of classic Halo elements (weapons on map, no loadouts, map control, etc.). Halo 5 will be a lot closer to Halo 2/3 than 4 was, and is looking like a solid Halo game. If you don't see that it's still Halo I'm not sure what defines "Halo" to you.

Then again, you've been bitching about Halo 5 forever now. Maybe it's just not for you.

I won't even count Halo 4.

But let's say you jump from Halo 1-3 and then jump to 5. The jump from 3 to 5 is a ginormous leap.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I won't even count Halo 4.

But let's say you jump from Halo 1-3 and then jump to 5. The jump from 3 to 5 is a ginormous leap.

True, but go play CE and then 2. That jump is pretty massive as well. Dual wielding, double the weapon count, map complexity, movement speed, health level, etc. Playing MCC has shown me that.

5 is definatly adding to Halo, but it's far less egregious than what 4 did, and I think the stuff they kept for 5 (stuff that everyone has by default, no more "armor abilities") make a lot more sense in a 2015 Halo game.

True, but go play CE and then 2. That jump is pretty massive as well. Dual wielding, double the weapon count, map complexity, movement speed, health level, etc. Playing MCC has shown me that.

5 is definatly adding to Halo, but it's far less egregious than what 4 did, and I think the stuff they kept for 5 (stuff that everyone has by default, no more "armor abilities") make a lot more sense in a 2015 Halo game.

I think those things you mentioned, dual wielding, more maps, ADD to the experience. Nothing I have seen in Halo 5 makes the game better. It's just there to appease the kids who will play for 2 weeks and then move on.

Top Bottom