• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I think those things you mentioned, dual wielding, more maps, ADD to the experience. Nothing I have seen in Halo 5 makes the game better. It's just there to appease the kids who will play for 2 weeks and then move on.

Clamber makes the game faster. Yes, I like clamber.

I also don't mind thrust, I think it makes the game feel more "arena" like, I get a Quake feeling when I combine thrust with jumping.

Impala26

Dual-wield adding to the experience, lol.

Indeed. As cool as it was for its time, as time goes on all I think about with it was how it watered down the weapons in the sandbox. Have you ever tried to use a SINGLE Halo 2 Needler? By itself it's potentially the worst weapon in the entire series. Dual wielding it makes it viable, but still not even that useful. The same could be said about the SMG, though it's not all around as bad as the Needler, but by itself it's too damn weak and too damn inaccurate to do anything.

I still wonder what fans would think of a semi-accurate but not necessarily potent automatic weapon in the Halo sandbox. Would they simply label ANY automatic no matter the accuracy as a noob/spray-n-pray weapon regardless? Honestly I think that's a fallacy: the closest example to one would be either the Sentinel Beam or Focus Rifle. I always felt like there was a bit of a learning curve with those to become consistently effective at getting kills or at least set-up assists.

Clamber makes the game faster. Yes, I like clamber.

I also don't mind thrust, I think it makes the game feel more "arena" like, I get a Quake feeling when I combine thrust with jumping.

Now let's throw in some floaty jump-packs a la Tribes for the new BTB mode and you've got yourself the ultimate "Back to the Future" experience with Halo 5.
#RIPTribes

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Indeed. As cool as it was for its time, as time goes on all I think about with it was how it watered down the weapons in the sandbox. Have you ever tried to use a SINGLE Halo 2 Needler? By itself it's potentially the worst weapon in the entire series. Dual wielding it makes it viable, but still not even that useful. The same could be said about the SMG, though it's not all around as bad as the Needler, but by itself it's too damn weak and too damn inaccurate to do anything.

I still wonder what fans would think of a semi-accurate but not necessarily potent automatic weapon in the Halo sandbox. Would they simply label ANY automatic no matter the accuracy as a noob/spray-n-pray weapon regardless? Honestly I think that's a fallacy: the closest example to one would be either the Sentinel Beam or Focus Rifle. I always felt like there was a bit of a learning curve with those to become consistently effective at getting kills or at least set-up assists.

Now let's throw in some floaty jump-packs a la Tribes for the new BTB mode and you've got yourself the ultimate "Back to the Future" experience with Halo 5.
#RIPTribes

I wouldn't mind if Halo had Quake-style rocket launcher.

Hell, I wish Halo had health counter too like Quake ;) Then we could have megahealth on map, and armor pickups, etc.

daedalius

I am pretty sure tribes ascension is still playable. I was playing it not too long ago.

After smite took off, high Rez kind of put it on the back burner.

I am pretty sure tribes ascension is still playable. I was playing it not too long ago.

After Smite took off, Hi-Rez kind of put everything on the back burner.

Which is a shame, since Global Agenda had some real potential, if they kept fleshing out the PvE.

dwells

Uh, really?

"a portion of the Halo community strongly prefers to play without sprint. The results from the HCFP surveys showed that nearly 11% of HCFP participants felt that Halo should not have sprint."

If the "play without sprint" is the 5-point scale, why didn't they simply say that 11% of participants fall into the disagreement part of this question, rather than assigning the 11% to a later "Halo should not have sprint" description that sounds suspiciously like a precise quote of something that 343i would place in a farther-down contextual tree. Which according to NDA breakers, it is. I strongly suspect that there's been a miscommunication in presenting the poll results.
It definitely does seem like there's an issue here with response bias and how they parsed their results. Can't say for sure without seeing the raw data and the poll, but I would imagine statisticians would take issue with it. Then again, there's also the argument that an opt-in poll for a beta on a console that not all Halo players own which requires players to also own a broken game people are upset about would be a huge case of sampling bias and all but invalidate the results anyway...

On a side note, I've noticed a lot of your posts are about technical topics like the Blam! engine, FoV, rendering and post-processing, and now statistical validity. Good stuff, keep it up - it's nice not being the only person in here who's into that.

link1201

I think some people just have a very touchy reaction to the whole "COD and Halo are for dudebros" stereotype. So anything that looks like it could be catering to that segment gets met with a vociferous reaction.

Was probably a randomly selected sample, although it would still suffer from participation biases, if any exist.

According to Josh Holmes on twitter everyone that had signed up in time recieved the survey.

Akai__

According to Josh Holmes on twitter everyone that had signed up in time recieved the survey.

Yes, but that was US only anyways. Not that including Europe would make a huge difference, but I would like to get my feedback in there. Signed up as soon as it was available for europeans and still didn't receive anything.

Makes you think twice, before you take a look at those polls.

Nevermind, I said I don't care about 343i's vision of MP. Doubt I'll have fun, even with everything turned off in custom games. Please just get the MCC fixed asap.

Impala26

Kinda half-hearted statement. I don't really know much about the series.

I played like a couple weeks of Tribes Aerial Assault for the PS2 back when I was like 14. Thought the aerial FPS concept was pretty cool, and I definitely like the class-based design as well.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Yes, but that was US only anyways. Not that including Europe would make a huge difference, but I would like to get my feedback in there. Signed up as soon as it was available for europeans and still didn't receive anything.

Makes you think twice, before you take a look at those polls.

Nevermind, I said I don't care about 343i's vision of MP. Doubt I'll have fun, even with everything turned off in custom games. Please just get the MCC fixed asap.

The progression of first person shooters, and even games in general, incorporating these modern-day trend items such as sprint, aim down the sights, etc, is here to stay and I think it's tied specifically to consoles.

On the PC, Counter-strike, a game that released in 1999, has not given in to COD-effect. I hope it never does, but I know when people play it today for the first time, it feels very old-school to them, almost ancient-like. They wonder why they can't sprint, aim down the sights, create-a-class, where's their perks, etc. They automatically stereotype CS as an old-school shooter that doesn't have today's standards, whatever those are.

Personally, I've come to grips with what has happened to the console shooters, and I don't see it changing anytime soon. COD, Halo, Gears of War, Battlefield, they all have fallen to it, and I don't foresee them ever going back.

Rainbow Six Siege...even with all the cool developer commentaries they're doing...I will only believe it when I see it first-hand, that the game is returning to its classic Rainbow Six roots.

As for the rest of the console shooter franchises...it's the way the industry has moved. It's sad, but there's not much that can be done about it unless these franchises suddenly take sharp hits in their sales.

jem0208

I definitely like the class-based design as well.
I wonder how well a class based Halo could work. I don't mean faux classes like Halo Reach, I mean full on very different classes like TF2. Different movement speeds, health, weapons, melee power etc.

Caayn

Apologies for my ignorance but how did one even know how and where to sign up for the survey?

Not that it would matter anyway as I'm not a US citizen, going from Akai__'s post.

Fuchsdh

I wonder how well a class based Halo could work. I don't mean faux classes like Halo Reach, I mean full on very different classes like TF2. Different movement speeds, health, weapons, melee power etc.

Really wouldn't want that for a classic Halo experience? For Halo Battlefront when Spartans are super-units and you get to play as Grunts? Go nuts.

dwells

Rainbow Six Siege...even with all the cool developer commentaries they're doing...I will only believe it when I see it first-hand, that the game is returning to its classic Rainbow Six roots.
I wouldn't count on it. I just don't think it would sell if they truly went back to their roots. I'd love to see Ghost Recon go back to its original roots as well as an unforgiving FPS.

What really needs to go back is Splinter Cell. Chaos Theory 2, please.

Fuchsdh

Halo 5 BTB = Halo Battlefront

Would print money.

I just don't think that the current demands of BTB would line up with that experience; you'd sacrifice one for the other. I'd rather they exist separately, especially since a battlegrounds-type game doesn't seem like it should be serialized in the same way.

RSB

Banned
The progression of first person shooters, and even games in general, incorporating these modern-day trend items such as sprint, aim down the sights, etc, is here to stay and I think it's tied specifically to consoles.

On the PC, Counter-strike, a game that released in 1999, has not given in to COD-effect. I hope it never does, but I know when people play it today for the first time, it feels very old-school to them, almost ancient-like. They wonder why they can't sprint, aim down the sights, create-a-class, where's their perks, etc. They automatically stereotype CS as an old-school shooter that doesn't have today's standards, whatever those are.

Personally, I've come to grips with what has happened to the console shooters, and I don't see it changing anytime soon. COD, Halo, Gears of War, Battlefield, they all have fallen to it, and I don't foresee them ever going back.

As for the rest of the console shooter franchises...it's the way the industry has moved. It's sad, but there's not much that can be done about it unless these franchises suddenly take sharp hits in their sales.
Yep, the homogenization of the FPS genre is quite sad indeed. Console shooters are a lost cause.

Oh well, I still have CS:GO, and hopefully the new UT will be great. Guess I shoud start saving for a new PC...

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Yep, the homogenization of the FPS genre is quite sad indeed. Console shooters are a lost cause.

Oh well, I still have CS:GO, and hopefully the new UT will be great. Guess I shoud start saving for a new PC...

I know I've been wanting Quake 5...but at this point, I would rather save the frustration and it not come out. Uggh...I imagine it would have sprint, aim down the sights, regenerating health, everything and then some.

I'm hoping that sprint will still be usable to get around cover but raising the base speed is definitely a good thing. I kinda liked the high sprint speed so I'm hoping it's not a huge nerf. Or I guess it might make Prophets Banes speed boost a little more useful.

But I am glad to hear I'm not the only weirdo who likes sprint.

Impala26

calling it tron style halo lol

image.php

Fixed or just releasing the "beta" patch?

The latter will definitely happen before then.

Fixed. If I can quickly find games, and they are even, and full on a consistent basis, then I'll call the MM fixed. Then they still have much more work to do.

Vooduu

WANNNTTTTT.
No BR? No DMR? No Pistol?

BIAS!!!!!!!!!

I WANT!!!! I bet it's like hundreds of dollars though :(

Payment plan as low as $61 or discounted at BigBadToyStore
I already preordered mine at BBTS.

I love it! But what's up with the coloured/connected cod-piece? I thought they were embedded in the underarmor, not connected to the ab-plate/coloured to the armor paint scheme.
H4-MasterChief-Renders.jpg

Master_Chief_figure_05.jpg

Master_Chief_figure_08.jpg

Madness

vTCI7XR.jpg

This is all I could think of sometimes when I'd see the Spartan models in the intro or victory screens. Their feet looked the jumping shoes from Seinfeld. Just weird looking.

link1201

Anyways, I'm all for moving on to #NoMotionTracker discussion.

Put me down for no motion or a modified motion tracker. As it is the motion tracker promotes some really dumb situations. I hate having my every move telegraphed to the enemy...especially in objective type games.

jem0208

Acc. to Josh, 77% of survey respondents voted for the Strongly Agree or Agree options regarding sprint. Which leaves the remaining 12% as having no preference. This is for the "In Halo, I like to Sprint" question.

https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/563721112492580865

Anyways, I'm all for moving on to #NoMotionTracker discussion.

Wow, that Greg guy is seriously clutching at straws.

Put me down for no motion or a modified motion tracker. As it is the motion tracker promotes some really dumb situations. I hate having my every move telegraphed to the enemy...especially in objective type games.

They said they're modifying it. By how much is the question now.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I hope they modify it so that there is a special indicator to show where Funknown is at all times.

:)

edit: I dunno what it is about betas recently, but I had tons of fun in the H5 one, and this BFH beta is off the wall fun.
mcc beta not so much

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
lmfao.. a living hell

EDIT: I just noticed your Spartan isn't crying anymore.. did you seek help? If so, where can I find it?

Papa Josh dried his tears by writing beautiful words within a blog and then putting it on the internet.

Top Bottom