• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Booshka

Papa Josh dried his tears by writing beautiful words within a blog and then putting it on the internet.

You should leave the tear up until you are playing a functioning and fun Halo game. Wiping off tears with the pages of a blog post is pretty nerdy.

Impala26

vTCI7XR.jpg

This is all I could think of sometimes when I'd see the Spartan models in the intro or victory screens. Their feet looked the jumping shoes from Seinfeld. Just weird looking.

Oh God, cannot unsee!
XD

vTCI7XR.jpg

This is all I could think of sometimes when I'd see the Spartan models in the intro or victory screens. Their feet looked the jumping shoes from Seinfeld. Just weird looking.

Eh. I like the way they look, and it makes sense as well. Putting 2+ tons on regular sized feet will just result in people sinking into the floor.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
You should leave the tear up until you are playing a functioning and fun Halo game. Wiping off tears with the pages of a blog post is pretty nerdy.

I'm over the MCC, not point crying about it anymore.

So, in Reclaimer Radio news, we've started up a new little side-series called Reclaimer Recap where we cover modicum Halo news that isn't enough to fill up an entire podcast's worth of content. The first episode is up, done by Mix, mostly focusing on the changes listed by Josh Holmes based on beta feedback as well as the HaloGAF Beta Montage. It's also a video series, not just audio!

jem0208

Halo 4's CTF is fun. It's not very competitive but it's very fast paced. The only change I really don't like is the auto pick up.

When the MCC is in a better state I'd love to see a CTF playlist. It's by far my favourite mode in Halo.

Booshka

So, in Reclaimer Radio news, we've started up a new little side-series called Reclaimer Recap where we cover modicum Halo news that isn't enough to fill up an entire podcast's worth of content. The first episode is up, done by Mix, mostly focusing on the changes listed by Josh Holmes based on beta feedback as well as the HaloGAF Beta Montage. It's also a video series, not just audio!

Taylor Swift singing under Mix talking is really jarring and dumb, should have muted the montage music when that song came on, imo.

I didn't notice the Taylor Swift song on my first watch because Mix was constantly talking lol. It's cool that you guys are keeping up with content.

RBK

Banned
Fixed. If I can quickly find games, and they are even, and full on a consistent basis, then I'll call the MM fixed. Then they still have much more work to do.

If 3v3 matches count, I get that already playing solo. Way more than the odd 4v2 or even the 5v1 matchups.

singhr1

Halo 4's CTF is fun. It's not very competitive but it's very fast paced. The only change I really don't like is the auto pick up.

When the MCC is in a better state I'd love to see a CTF playlist. It's by far my favourite mode in Halo.

Or at least give me that objective playlist! I'm tired of Team BRs. Give me ricochet, oddball, and CTF all day.

Madness

If only the game could allow you to place water, it'd look amazing in the trench and really be an updated battle/Beaver Creek. But damn, what a great job done. It's a shame the game shipped with so few maps. You'd think they'd at least have gotten their map devs to spend a week on making a couple Forge maps like this to keep the playlist viable for when it works. Let's hope if the game works, they can start adding really great Forge creations in.

Cow

Acc. to Josh, 77% of survey respondents voted for the Strongly Agree or Agree options regarding sprint. Which leaves the remaining 12% as having no preference. This is for the "In Halo, I like to Sprint" question.

https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/563721112492580865

Anyways, I'm all for moving on to #NoMotionTracker discussion.

So 77% of the people that will ditch the game after a week determined the mechanics for those of us that play until the next iteration. I can't really blame 343 for making the decision they made though... the inclusion of sprint just disappoints me.

JDHarbs

Who made this?
Its still a work-in-progress so he hasn't released it yet, but when he does (GT: Xsjados).

Here is a first look at where I'm at on my Beaver Creek remake so far. Everything is where it should be and is about 90% to perfect scale. I wanted to make sure both bases along with every other little detail on the map is to its proper shape and size as close as possible. Currently working on spawns and lowering object count to keep the frame rate down.
Play test's coming soon...
Enjoy!

So 77% of the people that will ditch the game after a week determined the mechanics for those of us that play until the next iteration. I can't really blame 343 for making the decision they made though... the inclusion of sprint just disappoints me.

I would think that those involved in the Program Are the very last group that will "ditch" the game. those people dont care enough about the game to 1) purchase MCC and play the beta 2) Actually take the time to Sign up, wait for the email, finally fill out said survey

The people involved with the program are far more likely to be dedicated fans

Cow

I would think that those involved in the Program Are the very last group that will "ditch" the game. those people dont care enough about the game to 1) purchase MCC and play the beta 2) Actually take the time to Sign up, wait for the email, finally fill out said survey

I'm just bitter. I can't comprehend why people want a mechanic the makes the game worse... maybe they just don't see how it does. I'm glad 343 boosted base speed and acceleration and reduced the difference between the base and sprint, I hope they did significantly, not just like 1% changes.

That is not really the case at all. No one knew about this program. The only reason I had ever heard of it is because I stumbled upon it on a reddit post. They never promoted it, they never discussed it, they set simply dumb parameters to join. There are plenty of no sprint people that simply never saw the poll. But it is what it is. I know that the sprint vs no sprint debate is more evenly matched than 80/20. It's more like 60/40 or 50/50. Which is funny, because the people that claim to love sprint would still buy the game with OT without it. There is a current community run poll on Halo Waypoint as well as Team Beyond and Reddit that all seem to favor no sprint. And yes, a majority of the people that like sprint (casual players) will be gone in a few weeks.

jem0208

Get out of here with your logic.

I'm just bitter. I can't comprehend why people want a mechanic the makes the game worse... maybe they just don't see how it does. I'm glad 343 boosted base speed and acceleration and reduced the difference between the base and sprint, I hope they did significantly, not just like 1% changes.

Maybe they don't think it makes it worse? Sprint isn't a factual negative.

I mean it is if you understand the game but I don't want to get down this road. I guess people just like to feel like they are running super fast!!!

No, no it isn't.

I'm pretty neutral on Sprint. I'm happy with or without it so I'm not really biased either way. However it's a completely subjective matter. Some people might not think the negatives outweigh the positives, some people might not even think what you claim are negatives are even a negative in the first place. Regardless, it's not an objective fact.

jem0208

That's what I said, they don't think it makes it worse. The second part of your post is wrong.

I mean it is if you understand the game but I don't want to get down this road. I guess people just like to feel like they are running super fast!!!

No, no it isn't.

I'm pretty neutral on sprint. I'm happy with or without it so I'm not really biased either way. However it's a completely subjective matter. Some people might not think the negatives outweigh the positives, some people might not even think what you claim are negatives are even a negative in the first place. Regardless, it's not an objective fact.

Ruining map flow and letting players who are dumb just run away seems like a negative to most people.

Ruining map flow? Subjective.

Running away being a negative is also subjective.

Note, I'm not trying to argue either way here. I'm just pointing out that you can't claim a game mechanic like sprint is factually bad for the game. It's all subjective.

Edit:

#MotionTracker

#NoMotionTracker

Go

#ColourCoordinatedTeamOnlyRadar

No, no it isn't.

I'm pretty neutral on sprint. I'm happy with or without it so I'm not really biased either way. However it's a completely subjective matter. Some people might not think the negatives outweigh the positives, some people might not even think what you claim are negatives are even a negative in the first place. Regardless, it's not an objective fact.

Ruining map flow and letting players who are dumb just run away seems like a negative to most people.

That is not really the case at all. No one knew about this program. The only reason I had ever heard of it is because I stumbled upon it on a reddit post. They never promoted it, they never discussed it, they set simply dumb parameters to join. There are plenty of no sprint people that simply never saw the poll. But it is what it is. I know that the sprint vs no sprint debate is more evenly matched than 80/20. It's more like 60/40 or 50/50. Which is funny, because the people that claim to love sprint would still buy the game with OT without it. There is a current community run poll on Halo Waypoint as well as Team Beyond and Reddit that all seem to favor no sprint. And yes, a majority of the people that like sprint (casual players) will be gone in a few weeks.

I have seen links on here countless times, i have seen linsk on Waypoint countless times, I have seen link on reddit, there were link on teambeyond.com, I'm pretty sure those opposed to the changes in Halo 5 were more likely to seek out a means to express there opinions in hopes to have the mechanics change for the better of halo right?
EDIT

Except Ninja all but proved this was false in his multiple "no sprint" streams to prove the sprint wasn't needed in the game. he was able to traverse and make pretty much all of the jumps, on pretty much all the maps

Madness

If sprint wasn't a more negative than positive impact on Halo, they wouldn't be spending time making elaborate design mechanisms to lessen it's use in the overarching gameplay. To get sprint in Halo 5, we're seeing it be given a shield delay mechanism to dissuade sprint use while engaged in combat, plus after the beta, we're actually seeing base movement and strafe speed ratcheted up, while top sprint speed gets a decrease.

There is a difference in expecting sprint to be in the game and/or being ambivalent to its inclusion, and thinking it's a positive addition to the game play.

If sprint wasn't a more negative than positive impact on Halo, they wouldn't be spending time making elaborate design mechanisms to lessen it's use in the overarching gameplay. To get sprint in Halo 5, we're seeing it be given a shield delay mechanism to dissuade sprint use while engaged in combat, plus after the beta, we're actually seeing base movement and strafe speed ratcheted up, while top sprint speed gets a decrease.

There is a difference in expecting sprint to be in the game and/or being ambivalent to its inclusion, and thinking it's a positive addition to the game play.

Which is why the argument is if it takes a dozen different tweaks and fixes to make it semi not horrible, the easy fix that very few people will be upset about is just to remove it. But 343 is stubborn as hell and won't admit that Sprint by itself is just a bad idea. I thought after seeing the negative reaction to Reach, Halo 4 they would see it by now but I guess not.

Welfare

Besides #immersion, I still have yet to see any argument for sprint.

And causal sales I guess, even though those players will jump straight to CoD and there is nothing that shows that it would help sales in any way whatsoever.

#NoMotionTracker

#MotionTracker

#NoMotionTracker

Go

#NoMotionTracker, on the balance. I think a drastically altered motion tracker could work, but I think I'd be more comfortable if they just axed it entirely... for now, at least.

I've been kicking around an idea for a wound-based motion tracker, though. It only shows people at less than full shields. Allows for big plays at full health and discourages escaping and random camping.

Cow

No, no it isn't.

Ok fine, it is my opinion that sprint is detrimental because of certain implications to gameplay that I deem negative and a drift away from what made Halo great.

I find it hard to believe that someone who has put a lot of thought into the subject has weighed up the positives and negatives of sprint and thinks they are perfectly even. I think after you put a bit of thought into anything you end up leaning one way or the other. It is also my opinion that a lot of people that like sprint haven't really thought about this. They just like sprint because they can move at two speeds and haven't given any thoughts to the implications to map design and gameplay.

I just want to clarify again that the other tweaks made since the beta I am very happy with, I hope they are noticeable. Sprint is holding this game back from being amazing. The benefits of removing it to maps being less stretched, coupled with being more vertical thanks to clamber would be something awesome.

Deception

I hate the casuals will go to COD argument. Like at one point we were all casual fans and became "hardcore" over time, you do realize that Halo 5 will be someone's first Halo game and maybe that will become a hardcore fan after the game.

Also I was a COD fan from the start to MW3 I haven't bought a game since because it was recycled garbage with declining map design and more add nonsense. AW at least took the mechanics somewhere else.

King Leo

Neo Member
Sprint is in because it's 2015. Not because it adds to gameplay. Sprint may deviate from the "run and gun" gameplay of 1-3, but it does not single-handedly kill competitive Halo. Why let a single mechanic blind you from seeing just how major of an improvement the beta was compared to H4? It has all the tools to be a competitive Halo. Your mistake is comparing the beta to your Halo glory days. The industry has drastically changed since then, and it will never go back.

Anywho.. they need to fix MCC already, add ranks and H2 doubles pls

Top Bottom