• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

My biggest issue is when people argue about why Halo is falling off, they never blame the game itself.

It's always about another game taking it's spot, and that makes it seem like Halo has been great all this time.

Welfare

The MCC sold about 2 million. That's what seems to be going around at least.

Only sales we know about is that by January 3, MCC sold >1 million (but not by much) in the US. Drop off for sales was probably huge. I'd be surprised if it is at 2 million.

SaganIsGOAT

It would be nice if we could live in the alternate reality where maybe Halo never changed a bit after Halo 3 and we could see where the population stands, but we don't. So let's stop acting like we are high paid Business Analysts and focus on the one simple fact; Halo has evolved and 343 isn't looking back.

IHaveIce

Banned
My biggest issue is when people argue about why Halo is falling off, they never blame the game itself.

It's always about another game taking it's spot, and that makes it seem like Halo has been great all this time.

Please god can you shut up? You are fucking insane if you never saw people also blaming the game, you are constantly in every thread just posting the same shit. Go back to beyond and spread your agenda there.

Yeah the Halo games had problems and were at fault, but you have to be fucking dumb if you don't think agin demographics, more variety of games and regional preferences play an heavier role in this.

Halo isn't a big player in Europe at all, CoD and BF are the kings here since forever and it just changes around the world now.

Please god can you shut up? You are fucking insane if you never saw people also blaming the game, you are constantly in every thread just posting the same shit. Go back to beyond and spread your agenda there.

Yeah the Halo games had problems and were at fault, but you have to be fucking dumb if you don't think agin demographics, more variety of games and regional preferences play an heavier role in this.

Halo isn't a big player in Europe at all, CoD and BF are the kings here since forever and it just changes around the world now.

Just ignore him, man. He ain't worth getting into an argument with.

OT: I do like the changes they're going to make for Halo 5. I'm glad they're upping the base speed, too, that was one of my biggest gripes about the beta.

RBK

Banned
Go back to beyond and spread your agenda there.

aUgE0_original.gif

And we're done. He's not the only member, but I've wasted sweet valuable gaming time last night with this argument. Certain people have their minds made up already.

Ramirez

Big difference between #NoMotionTracker and modifying it to encourage more movement at high levels. I don't think they're going to waste tons of resources/time to develop an elaborate second motion tracker system for such a small group of players. Semi-Pro and above are 1% of all players. Plus, what happens if you have Silver tier players, and they get matched up with Semi-Pro etc. Will be interesting to see what they're thinking about though.

Imagine if it's team radar only for Semi-Pro ranked players.

You keep saying this stuff about motion tracker, but I haven't seen anyone over the last several pages say that they believe motion tracker is getting axed.

4Ni0PZM.gif

Yea, no one ever says Reach & 4 sucked here.

King Leo

Neo Member
Halo's skill gap has to be the most exaggerated thing in existence. Especially over at Waypoint. Every little change apparently lessens dat skill gap.

Havoc2049

Iwt3GsD.jpg

Saw this on Beyond

I played in the Halo 3 beta and didn't own Crackdown. Crackdown was just one of the ways to get into the beta, but not the only way.

Halo 5 still had a successful Beta, IMO, especially after the clusterf$!k that was/is the MCC. I was actually surprised when I saw the numbers and near the end of the Beta I was sometimes floored by the number of kills people racked up. It wasn't uncommon to run into people with 2k+ kills. People seemed to really enjoy Halo 5.

Franchise highs and lows can go in waves. Look at Resident Evil for example, where the best selling game in the franchise is Resident Evil 5. Halo can still make a comeback. I actually felt it was going to start with MCC, but we all know how that turned out. Halo 5 can still bring the franchise back to prominence, but 343i did themselves no favors by releasing MCC in such a sorry state. Halo 5 will have to kill it in both single player and multiplayer if it wants to get back on top.

Madness

It's also that people are playing less games. Halo is a mature series, the fanbase is easily aging, we're not people in high school or undergrad anymore, the industry is in a different place where turnover is much faster. Halo just isn't in its prime like it was during Halo 3. As great as the next Zelda game will be, it won't ever touch the heights/success of Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker. Same goes for Halo.

As for Halo 5 beta, I think the situation with MCC really did a number on it. Many people had refunded the game before the beta even came, others hated that MCC still wasn't working. But it seems it was successful. Everybody really liked it (AR starts aside).

CyReN

Played some MCC last night with some friends, results as follow:

4v4 H3 Foundry TS - Lag was pretty bad, gametype didn't help either but match worked - Success
4v3 H1 Rat Race TS - Had to quit out because the game didn't end when the other team quit - Broken
4v4 H2 Sanctuary KOTH - Game randomly ended after 5 seconds in - Broken
4v4 H2 Beaver Creek TS - Everyone got stuck on 4 second spawn screen during match - Broken
4v3 H1 Chill Out TS - We kicked ass, but uneven teams again - Broken

Following the matches, our party broke up or froze in post-game most of the time. I can't believe these issues are here almost 3 months post launch with the ODST/Free 1 month cutoff in December. Depressing.

RowdyReverb

It's also that people are playing less games. Halo is a mature series, the fanbase is easily aging, we're not people in high school or undergrad anymore, the industry is in a different place where turnover is much faster. Halo just isn't in its prime like it was during Halo 3. As great as the next Zelda game will be, it won't ever touch the heights/success of Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker. Same goes for Halo.
God I wish I had the free time now I had back when H3 was out. It boggles my mind to look back on how much I played.

VinFTW

Played some MCC last night with some friends, results as follow:

4v4 H3 Foundry TS - Lag was pretty bad, gametype didn't help either but match worked - Success
4v3 H1 Rat Race TS - Had to quit out because the game didn't end when the other team quit - Broken
4v4 H2 Sanctuary KOTH - Game randomly ended after 5 seconds in - Broken
4v4 H2 Beaver Creek TS - Everyone got stuck on 4 second spawn screen during match - Broken
4v3 H1 Chill Out TS - We kicked ass, but uneven teams again - Broken

Following the matches, our party broke up or froze in post-game most of the time. I can't believe these issues are here almost 3 months post launch with the ODST/Free 1 month cutoff in December. Depressing.

http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/2v3obw/343i_could_learn_something_from_game_dev_story/

RSB

Banned
The sooner everyone realizes Halo is dead the better off you'll be. It sucks I know, but that's life.

Time will heal your wounds.
Yep, after playing the Halo 5 beta and the recent confirmation that 343 won't even bother to add something as simple as an option to use classic scopes (it's just a circle in the middle of the screen, FFS) I cannot argue with this.

Big difference between #NoMotionTracker and modifying it to encourage more movement at high levels. I don't think they're going to waste tons of resources/time to develop an elaborate second motion tracker system for such a small group of players. Semi-Pro and above are 1% of all players. Plus, what happens if you have Silver tier players, and they get matched up with Semi-Pro etc. Will be interesting to see what they're thinking about though.

Imagine if it's team radar only for Semi-Pro ranked players.
The #NoMotionTracker, at least when I use it, represents a need to change the current one we have, not necessarily expecting for it to be outright removed. Adjusting it or removing it from Onyx+ would be a great start and could potentially lead to it being removed from other playlists once more people are discussing it.
I personally prefer H5G's gameplay even with sprint and ADS compared to everything but CE.
Yup, I agree. Even Halo 4, the game that fans love to hate, has provided me with more fun in TMCC than Halo 2/A and Halo 3.

The #NoMotionTracker, at least when I use it, represents a need to change the current one we have, not necessarily expecting for it to be outright removed. Adjusting it or removing it from Onyx+ would be a great start and could potentially lead to it being removed from other playlists once more people are discussing it.

Yup, I agree. Even Halo 4, the game that fans love to hate, has provided me with more fun in TMCC than Halo 2/A and Halo 3.

H4 Legendary BRs post Turbo update is some legitimately great Halo, even though it is held back by the maps.

Madness

H2A is held back by the lack of maps. Look at that Battle/Beaver Creek Forge map someone posted a few pages back, why isn't something like that in the playlist? If CA was only contracted for 6 maps, surely 343 could have relied on community cartographers or their own devs to get a few Forge creations thrown into the mix. Make it viable. Only so much lockdown, warlord, shrine you can play over and over and over.

H2A is held back by the lack of maps. Look at that Battle/Beaver Creek Forge map someone posted a few pages back, why isn't something like that in the playlist? If CA was only contracted for 6 maps, surely 343 could have relied on community cartographers or their own devs to get a few Forge creations thrown into the mix. Make it viable. Only so much lockdown, warlord, shrine you can play over and over and over.
you really expect 343 to properly curate the playlists when they can't even get the game to work?

I don't see MCC's online activity lasting very long until 343 could push this update soon AND advertising the crap out of it. Once everything is stable again and the devs can add more content, players would likely return.

jem0208

H4 Legendary BRs post Turbo update is some legitimately great Halo, even though it is held back by the maps.

Halo 4 on the MCC is genuinely really good. They removed the worst aspect of it which was no weapons on maps and ordnance drops.

I don't mind having loadouts either, as long as it means I can have thrusters. The carbine is also really fun to use on occasion.

Also CTF is fantastic. It's pretty casual however that makes it really good if you're playing solo. It's also really fast paced, you're never sitting in a stalemate looking for the enemy player holding your flag. Flagnum is also great, auto-pickup however, not so much.

JackHerer

This is one of the things that I really want them to do. H2A is really good but the lack of maps really kills its potential. Normally I am not a huge fan of Forge maps in matchmaking but in this case I really think it is necessary. I would like to see several Forge maps for each gametype added to all the playlists. H2A BTB could be amazing with a few good forge maps. Relic will be a welcome addition but it's not nearly enough.

H2A has a lot of potential as it's a really solid iteration of the series. It just needs more maps to expand it's longevity. If they can finally manage to get MCC running well I could see myself playing it almost as much in Halo 5/6 over the next couple years.

GrizzNKev

Banned
remember when we were supposed vote on rotating playlists?

remember when we were going to have Halo 2 ranks on everything?

I was looking forward to a year of classic Halo. 1/4 of that year has now passed.

Yea, no one ever says Reach & 4 sucked here.

Oh I know it's sarcasm but yes it's said quite often around here. I think jem, a few other juniors and myself are the only ones who say anything positive about those games. I loved them though so screw the popular opinion.

remember when we were supposed vote on rotating playlists?

remember when we were going to have Halo 2 ranks on everything?

I was looking forward to a year of classic Halo. 1/4 of that year has now passed.

Damn, and now I'm sad.

Overdoziz

Banned
Anybody notice any clear issues with Beaver Creek just by looking at the video? I'm taking some notes for Xsjados.

Video Link
I'd say try to make the transition from ground object to the block object right in the front of the bases a bit smoother if possible. The natural objects are a bitch to deal with, though.

jem0208

Jem thinks Halo 4 CTF is "great". Just keeps shoveling coal into that furnace to power his train.
It's a casual version of CTF, I'll admit. However its still fun.

Flagnum means you can effectively play in solo and being able to score without a home flag speeds the game up and prevents stalemates. The auto pickup and lack of dropping sucks though.

All of that said, the fact that these were the only options is a bad thing.

What are some things you guys think can work with Halo 5 CTF? Flagnum? Should flag carrier be allowed to sprint, thrust, throw/drop flag?
I'd rather have the option to give the flag carrier all the standard abilities and weapons. Lots of options is better.

Madness

What are some things you guys think can work with Halo 5 CTF? Flagnum? Should flag carrier be allowed to sprint, thrust, throw/drop flag?

Throwing and dropping is an absolute must. That means that Flagnum is probably out (no great loss). Sprint, maybe. Not being able to shoot already (because of the flag) removes a big downside that's normally present with sprint, so something else would have to be done to accommodate for that.. Thrust and clamber, absolutely. I'm already salivating about tricky flag returns on Empire.

Even if they were semi joking about it on The Sprint, launching the flag a short distance would be amazing. Idk about a javelin attack though.

Naked Lunch

I pretty much mainly play Halo for CTF. Putting a big marker over the flag carrier's head for all the enemy to see was the single worst thing about Halo 4 to me. Completely ruined the mode. Insane this was never turned off in matchmaking. That shit better not make a return in H5.

Tawpgun

I pretty much mainly play Halo for CTF. Putting a big marker over the flag carrier's head for all the enemy to see was the single worst thing about Halo 4 to me. Completely ruined the mode. Insane this was never turned off in matchmaking. That shit better not make a return in H5.

I think CTF is the best Halo mode also. Really interested to see what 343 does with it for H5. I think it should function like Halo 2 in that you could throw it a bit. But I also think you should be able to use spartan abilities (except sprint).

Unless..... They lowered your movement speed so sprinting with the flag = normal base movement (this gives enemy team an ability to catch you while sprinting) that way you can have some cool shoulder charge moves with the flag.

I don't think I;m a fan of the flagnum tho

Haruko

Yeah, flag carrier indicator is pretty awful. I hope we don't see it on by default again.

Booshka

Flag indicator plus Spartan chatter automatically calling the flag carrier out as a possibility makes me laugh.

I think it's gone, but you never know, this is 343.

daedalius

I think CTF is the best Halo mode also. Really interested to see what 343 does with it for H5. I think it should function like Halo 2 in that you could throw it a bit. But I also think you should be able to use spartan abilities (except sprint).

Unless..... They lowered your movement speed so sprinting with the flag = normal base movement (this gives enemy team an ability to catch you while sprinting) that way you can have some cool shoulder charge moves with the flag.

I don't think I;m a fan of the flagnum tho

You're not a fan of the flagnum because you can see the only way it should be, which is normal run speed and full weapons.

Put the flag on your back scrub ass Spartan!

Top Bottom