• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Halo isn't the "it" shooter anymore, I would like to believe that contributes more to the popularity decline of Halo than silly debates over what makes Halo "Halo".

It's weird that Halo started to fall of after the first game that introduced these abilities though...

Halo isn't the "it" shooter anymore, I would like to believe that contributes more to the popularity decline of Halo than silly debates over what makes Halo "Halo".

Boom. That's the main issue. Halo isn't the king anymore, and it's because of the competition more than it is the changes.

Honestly, most "hardcore" Halo fans just give me a headache...

It's weird that Halo started to fall of after the first game that introduced these abilities though...

If you believe that a return to basics Halo would bring in even 2/3 of Halo 3's player base, then you're delusional.

Welfare

So

Halo 3: 820,000 Players / 12 Million Hours Played
Halo Reach: 2.7 Million Players / 13 Million Hours Played
Halo 5: 1 Million Players / 2.5 Million Hours Played

But 44.6 million hours were watched on Twitch.

People would rather spend time watching than playing.

But 44.6 million hours were watched on Twitch.

People would rather spend time watching than playing.

That, or the Xbox One has a crap user base, along with the flood of MCC returns.

I find it INCREDIBLY hard to believe that Preview members and MCC owners total to be 1 million players. Until 343 gives us an official count, I call bullshit.

daedalius

So what metric do you use then to determine whether a Halo game is a success? Hype's out. Statistical time/population data's out. The sales of 5 are going to be bottom basement because of the lack of install base. Polling data is flawed.

This is like a political forum now, where all the information available to you clearly trends in one direction but people insist that information means nothing.

It's going to be great to see the fallout a month after H5's release and the population is less than H4's a year in. And that's exactly what is going to happen.

Stay classy.

The fall actually started way before that, if we don't want to overlook Modern Warfare.

Unless you want to tell me COD 4>Halo 3.

Halo 3 had 600k players at the end of its lifetime. Halo Reach had damn near a million players at launch day, and when people started to realize that the game wasn't very good, population dipped to the lowest count in series history. It still kept well above 100k for 3 years. It had an incredible resurgence that nearly doubled player count when they introduced the no sprint option. And then Halo 4 happened.

CyReN

That, or the Xbox One has a crap user base, along with the flood of MCC returns.

Xbox One sold 10 million by its first year. By the time Halo 3 came out, there were only 9.3 million Xbox 360's sold.

-------

More surprised how big gaming has got in the last 5-10 years.

RBK

Banned
Halo 3 had 600k players at the end of its lifetime. Halo Reach had damn near a million players at launch day, and when people started to realize that the game wasn't very good, population dipped to the lowest count in series history. It still kept well above 100k for 3 years. It had an incredible resurgence that nearly doubled player count when they introduced the no sprint option. And then Halo 4 happened.

Do you have official links to back up this statement like that infographic? I don't want to make any statements because my memory is fuzzy on this.

Also I spoke on why Halo 4 had the decline it did, with tons of factors outside of it being a "bad" game.

CoD 4 was what took me away from Halo for 2 years. Game is still one of GOAT.

Yep it definitely is. For me, Black Ops was the last good COD multiplayer. Lots of good maps, and the game had a nice pace to it. Have found that the COD games since, have been boring and very stagnant.

CyReN

Do you have official links to back up this statement like that infographic? I don't want to make any statements because my memory is fuzzy on this.

Also I spoke on why Halo 4 had the decline it did, with tons of factors outside of it being a "bad" game.

4qZTvWe.png

Great thread about H4 too by FyreWulff.

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/a...-population-of-1-1m-reach-had-900k.453494221/

I don't have any but I played both Halo 3-Reach throughout their entire lifetimes.

Halo 3 one year after launch: 1.1 million
Reach: 900k
Halo 4: 20k

Ramirez

Xbox One sold 10 million by its first year. By the time Halo 3 came out, there were only 9.3 million Xbox 360's sold.

-------

More surprised how big gaming has got in the last 5-10 years.

"By January 3, 2008, Halo 3 sold 8.1 million copies, and was the best-selling video game of 2007 in the U.S."

That is an insane attach rate if your numbers are true. Halo just isn't the juggernaut it once was, and sprint has very little to do with that, lol. I'm seeing 1 million for MCC during it's first week, and then it nosedived. I know it's current shape factors into it not selling as well, but even if it worked, it wouldn't be smelling those Halo 3 numbers.

I think it's likely they calculated gameplay hours differently, perhaps total time Halo 3 was on vs time actually spent in a match in 5.

Cow

"By January 3, 2008, Halo 3 sold 8.1 million copies, and was the best-selling video game of 2007 in the U.S."

That is an insane attach rate if your numbers are true. Halo just isn't the juggernaut it once was, and sprint has very little to do with that, lol.
Sprint represents everything wrong with current design philosophy at 343.

Welfare

Halo 3 came out September 25, 2007. Microsoft shipped 9,300,000 million 360's to retailers by September 30, 2007. There weren't even 9.3m unit's in consumers houses when Halo 3 came out.

By the end of 2014, the Xbox One sold over 10 million units to consumers.

More people had the opportunity to play the Halo 5 beta than there were to play Halo 3 proper.

Ramirez

Sure.

I've been trying to think of maps that could be good to remake in Halo 5, like Midship/Zealot. From Reach alone, Powerhouse and Sword Base would totally work.

Holmes said there were no plans for other remakes, whether that's true or not, I don't know, but I'd rather they didn't.

I've been trying to think of maps that could be good to remake in Halo 5, like Midship/Zealot. From Reach alone, Powerhouse and Sword Base would totally work.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Seriously, what are you guys trying to prove? That Halo 5 is bad before it's even out? That you're right and Halo 2/3 will always be the top Halos? So what if they are? Do you win something? I bought MCC for that very reason, so I can play the old Halo games and then buy the new.

Everyone is spending a ton of effort on comparing numbers for no real reason other than to be right on the internet...

So how do you want to respect this opinion when you have nothing at all to back it up?

Because you can ask anyone who played those games and they will tell you about the population? There was literally a counter on the bottom of Halo 3 that didn't dio to below 1 million for a year.

You're a funny guy.

Seriously, what are you guys trying to prove? That Halo 5 is bad before it's even out? That you're right and Halo 2/3 will always be the top Halos? So what if they are? Do you win something? I bought MCC for that very reason, so I can play the old Halo games and then buy the new.

Everyone is spending a ton of effort on comparing numbers for no real reason other than to be right on the internet...

That is the internet.

VinFTW

Because you can ask anyone who played those games and they will tell you about the population? There was literally a counter on the bottom of Halo 3 that didn't dio to below 1 million for a year.

you're talking about the sequel to halo 2... how is that at all comparable to Halo fucking 5 in the state of Halo currently, in the state of console shooters that are not CoD or Battlefield...

RBK

Banned

Again do you have any evidence to back this statement up?

The charts show me nothing as again tons of factors are being glossed over to support the narrative.

you're talking about the sequel to halo 2... how is that at all comparable to Halo fucking 5 in the state of Halo currently, in the state of console shooters that are not CoD or Battlefield...

My whole point is there is a reason Halo isn't as popular...

It doesn't just randomly go from the most popular shooter to barely relevant just "because" other shooters are out.

Again do you have any evidence to back this statement up?

The charts show me nothing as again tons of factors are being glossed over to support the narrative.

I don't know what you are asking for? Do you want some grainy pictures of populations?

RBK

Banned
Halo 3 came out September 25, 2007. Microsoft shipped 9,300,000 million 360's to retailers by September 30, 2007. There weren't even 9.3m unit's in consumers houses when Halo 3 came out.

The biggest narrative of last gen was the 10 million shipped head start MS got over Sony/PS3.

VinFTW

My whole point is there is a reason Halo isn't as popular...

It doesn't just randomly go from the most popular shooter to barely relevant just "because" other shooters are out.

it happens all the fucking time with hundreds of franchises... people lose interest, better games come out.

I GUARANTEE you, if Halo 5 was like 2/3, it still wouldn't be as popular as anything today and Halos in the past. We'd be in the same situation with less bitching.

Booshka

it happens all the fucking time with hundreds of franchises... people lose interest, better games come out.

I GUARANTEE you, if Halo 5 was like 2/3, it still wouldn't be as popular as anything today and Halos in the past. We'd be in the same situation with less bitching.

If Halo 4 was similar and better than Halo 2/3 at 60 FPS on Dedicated Servers with as many or more features as Reach, then I doubt Halo would be where it is today. That would be a rock solid package that could compete with CoD.

Unfortunately, 60 FPS and Dedicated Servers weren't a priority for Halo last gen, and the gameplay that 343 crafted was terrible. But, if Halo 4 was what it should have been, with the huge install base of the 360, and on the MLG circuit, I think it would still be one of the highest populated Xbox 360 games today.

Might as well hop in on the speculating and made up scenarios.

VinFTW

If Halo 4 was similar and better than Halo 2/3 at 60 FPS on Dedicated Servers with as many or more features as Reach, then I doubt Halo would be where it is today. That would be a rock solid package that could compete with CoD.

Unfortunately, 60 FPS and Dedicated Servers weren't a priority for Halo last gen, and the gameplay that 343 crafted was terrible. But, if Halo 4 was what it should have been, with the huge install base of the 360, and on the MLG circuit, I think it would still be one of the highest populated Xbox 360 games today.

Might as well hop in on the speculating and made up scenarios.

Blops2 would have still destroyed Halo. Sorry.

RBK

Banned
Do you not see how Halo 3 stayed on the top for THREE years whilst Halo 4 fell off the top 10 within 3 months???????????????

What does that have to do with the 1.1 million and 900k figures posted earlier, which for Reach has been proven false?

Like I said, other factors.

daedalius

Halo 3 is a bad game.

You feel slow as balls.

Aiming feels like there is a anchor tied around the crosshair.

Equipment is terrible.

Shot registration and bullet travel.

FOV

Top Bottom