• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

-Ryn

Banned
Why not cause a concussion effect when GP makes direct contact with vehicles instead of inflicting damage?
Cuz I wants to blast through a Banshee in a blaze of fiery glory while furiously masterbating

Hey! Wouldn't it be great if when you run out of ammo, you can aim your gun like a throwing knife and get a one a hit kill with it. I mean come on, a Spartan could probably throw his gun like a bullet.

Hey! What if there was an enemy above the ledge we want to clamber on, and we could perform an assassination or one hit kill on them before we pull ourselves up?

C'mon, old Halo is boring dudes. I want to evolve the series. Bring it into the 21st century. Guardian's is such a boring name too. We need something cutting edge like Halo: Interslice or something.
...I don't get it

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I'm just waiting till summer time. Then I'll boot up the MCC and install the 16 patches that will be waiting.

Patch out yet? I'm lazy and don't want to fire up MCC.

Not that I'm aware of but last night the X1 party system was quite different in fonts/presentation etc. Obviously pushing platform stuff out in the last console update this week.

Still dropped out in a Destiny party chat though and automatically reconnected that party chat.

I played a BTB game in Halo 3 (the big ice map don't recall the name sorry) where all of the surround sound was backwards. Things happening in front of me played from my rear speakers and things happening behind me played out of the front speakers. Pretty trippy.

RowdyReverb

I just realized the subtitle of Halo 5: Guardians means that this is likely the last numbered Halo game we'll see, assuming it follows current trends of long running franchises. What was the sequel to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare? Or the sequel to Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag?
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link?
I guess it makes the franchise less intimidating to newcomers.

I played a BTB game in Halo 3 (the big ice map don't recall the name sorry) where all of the surround sound was backwards. Things happening in front of me played from my rear speakers and things happening behind me played out of the front speakers. Pretty trippy.
I've heard of this issue a few times now. Can't replicate it because I sadly don't have surround sound. I wonder how it got switched?

HTupolev

Halo 3's audio wasn't ported very well at all. Even if you ignore the directional issues, it's got mixing problems and missing filtering.

its funny tho, since the whole "Combat Evolved" subtitle was just this marketing buzzwords Microsoft came up and everyone at Bungie hated it.

I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere, about how Bungie hated "Combat Evolved" and made sure to never make it again, but I'm too tired right now

SaganIsGOAT

its funny tho, since the whole "Combat Evolved" subtitle was just this marketing buzzwords Microsoft came up and everyone at Bungie hated it.

I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere, about how Bungie hated "Combat Evolved" and made sure to never make it again, but I'm too tired right now

Are you saying that "Combat Evolved" didn't help sell the game? Because what I see is genius marketing. The following is TRUE customer review material.

I was a 9 year old boy at the time. The age where explosions and pretend battles and shit are awesome. Then I see this game on the store shelf. Halo:Combat Evolved. "Whoa" I said. Here is what my 9 year old brain did.

-Picture on front with big green dude is cool.
-Halo? What? Like a Halo on an angel? That's dumb.I wouldn't buy this if it wasn't for that really awesome subtitle that I am about to read.
-Reads "Combat". Yeah! Combat! That is awesome! That is like when me and my buddies hit each other with sticks or shoot our nerf guns. That is awesome. Just what my 9 year old heart desires.
-Reads "Evolved". Whoa! I remember evolve from when the teacher talked about the dinosaurs. Dinosaurs are so rad!
-COMBAT AND EVOLVED. My brain had solved the equation and finally really understood that I was getting "Combat" and "Evolved" together under Halo.
-I never cared to reevaluate "Halo" in the title after that for it did not matter anymore.

As you can see, that subtitle single handily saved Halo and the Xbox. Give those suits a raise please.

HTupolev

Coordinated strike on a Scorpion. Yesssss.

This needs a name...

Heavens Fisticuffs
RIP invulnerable vehicles

AVAHFt6.gif

Preferably, a team of ground-pounders hitting a vehicle would just shoot off into space.

I once got a surprisingly DELICOUS pizza from a 7/11 for $5. It was nice.

Coordinated strike on a Scorpion. Yesssss.

This needs a name...

Heavens Fisticuffs

A vendor came to my work today. Boxes and boxes of HUGE pizzas. My boss just called for us to get some to take home.

Wait a minute-nom nom nom....so good... :)

-Ryn

Banned
RIP invulnerable vehicles

AVAHFt6.gif

Preferably, a team of ground-pounders hitting a vehicle would just shoot off into space.
P0O9GJn.jpg

#INVULNERABLEVEHICLETOGGLEANDPLAYLIST

Do it now 343 DO IT NOW!!

A vendor came to my work today. Boxes and boxes of HUGE pizzas. My boss just called for us to get some to take home.

Wait a minute-nom nom nom....so good... :)
I am so ridiculously jealous of you right now

I can't for the life of me imagine people calling H5G2: Guarder Harder "Guardians 2" as a shorthand or anything. My immediate thought process is that they are trying to evoke the Modern Warfare thing and basically not have people call it "Halo" anymore except with generalizations.

Oh, you know what's going to be even more satisfying than ground-pounding vehicles? Seeing someone charging up a groundpound while you're in a tank / gauss hog and blowing them out of the sky.

jem0208

I can't for the life of me imagine people calling H5G2: Guarder Harder "Guardians 2" as a shorthand or anything. My immediate thought process is that they are trying to evoke the Modern Warfare thing and basically not have people call it "Halo" anymore except with generalizations.

Oh, you know what's going to be even more satisfying than ground-pounding vehicles? Seeing someone charging up a groundpound while you're in a tank / gauss hog and blowing them out of the sky.

I can't see them ever dropping Halo. CoD tried it with Modern Warfare and it had a really negative effect. I can't remember the exact source but it basically said brand recognition was reduced a lot even though Modern Warfare was essentially a massive brand of its own. Guardians is never going to become a huge brand like MW.

I can definitely see them dropping numbers though to help prevent alienating new players to the series.

Welfare

I can't see them ever dropping Halo. CoD tried it with Modern Warfare and it had a really negative effect. I can't remember the exact source but it basically said brand recognition was reduced a lot even though Modern Warfare was essentially a massive brand of its own. Guardians is never going to become a huge brand like MW.

I can definitely see them dropping numbers though to help prevent alienating new players to the series.

Pre order numbers weren't to Acti's liking when Infinity Ward only had Modern Warfare 2, and not Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Microsoft may add subtitles to the games, but they will never drop "Halo"

Homeboyd

On 2 occasions now, I've had MCC randomly just decide it was going to launch on my xbox.

1) ~ a month ago. Playing Destiny. No big deal. La-dee-da... running a raid. Then *BOOM* kicked. Oh no big deal, happens in Destiny all the time. 5 seconds later.. MASTER CHIEF COLLECTION *PRESS START* wtf?!

2) This morning. 6 AM. Laying in bed watching tv not wanting to get up and get ready for work yet. Xbox turns on.. on it's own. Controller nowhere near me (on a desk by my tv) and I have no Kinect. Scares the shit out of my dog. I think, hmm that's weird.. let's flip it over to see what my xbox is up to. MASTER CHIEF COLLECTION *PRESS START*

LEAVE ME ALONE.

tldr; mcc is haunting me and trying to murder me and my dog

SaganIsGOAT

On 2 occasions now, I've had MCC randomly just decide it was going to launch on my xbox.

1) ~ a month ago. Playing Destiny. No big deal. La-dee-da... running a raid. Then *BOOM* kicked. Oh no big deal, happens in Destiny all the time. 5 seconds later.. MASTER CHIEF COLLECTION *PRESS START* wtf?!

2) This morning. 6 AM. Laying in bed watching tv not wanting to get up and get ready for work yet. Xbox turns on.. on it's own. Controller nowhere near me (on a desk by my tv) and I have no Kinect. Scares the shit out of my dog. I think, hmm that's weird.. let's flip it over to see what my xbox is up to. MASTER CHIEF COLLECTION *PRESS START*

LEAVE ME ALONE.

Hella spooky man

link1201

RowdyReverb

The only issues I foresee with the Halo moniker is that we'll either have games with convoluted plots to include a ring-shaped world for the namesake, or Halo games where there is no mention of a halo.
While the name, "Halo", has certain connotations and sentiments for our generation, it won't hold the same allure to the new blood the franchise will need to continue to be successful.

willow ve

LEAVE ME ALONE.

The X1 seems to have issues with memory leak where closed programs / games / etc. don't actually close out.

I was getting weird issues where I would launch a game, it would hang at the title card, and nothing would happen. I would try to launch another game and it, as well, would get stuck on the title card. Weird thing was the start screen music for the first game would start playing after a minute or two even though I was looking at a different game / app start screen.

Now I make sure I "quit" out of anything that I was using. When I'm done with Destiny I dashboard, hit the "menu" button on the controller, and choose quit to end that session of Destiny. I do the same with ESPN and anything else that I launch.

Seems to help.

Homeboyd

The X1 seems to have issues with memory leak where closed programs / games / etc. don't actually close out.

I was getting weird issues where I would launch a game, it would hang at the title card, and nothing would happen. I would try to launch another game and it, as well, would get stuck on the title card. Weird thing was the start screen music for the first game would start playing after a minute or two even though I was looking at a different game / app start screen.

Now I make sure I "quit" out of anything that I was using. When I'm done with Destiny I dashboard, hit the "menu" button on the controller, and choose quit to end that session of Destiny. I do the same with ESPN and anything else that I launch.

Seems to help.
I haven't even attempted to play MCC in probably 2 months. X1 is a pretty crap console though so who knows what it's doing. Just weird it keeps trying to launch MCC for some reason.. even when IT'S NOT EVEN TURNED ON.

The only issues I foresee with the Halo moniker is that we'll either have games with convoluted plots to include a ring-shaped world for the namesake, or Halo games where there is no mention of a halo.
While the name, "Halo", has certain connotations and sentiments for our generation, it won't hold the same allure to the new blood the franchise will need to continue to be successful.

Even if they aren't included, the religious overtones and the 2552 "Halo Event" basically shaped canon as we know it. I still say they're going to try and make Didact combine the Composer and the Halo Array to make an army out of the entire galaxy.

Impala26

Even if they aren't included, the religious overtones and the 2552 "Halo Event" basically shaped canon as we know it. I still say they're going to try and make Didact combine the Composer and the Halo Array to make an army out of the entire galaxy.

Uhhh...

SPOILER:
Wasn't the Ur-Didact himself composed during the events of the Halo: Escalation comic series?

RowdyReverb

Replaying H4's campaign; that game is so gorgeous. I can't imagine what H5's campaign will look like. I wonder if they'll stick with 60fps in campaign mode or drop it to 30 in favor of prettier visuals.

Top Bottom