• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Madness

0s9rmyg.jpg

zGEb4.jpg

I've said it so many times. I just haven't liked the way the maps have looked in H4, H2A, and Halo 5. No I don't mean the visual fidelity wise. But something about them is off. Maybe it's just the way the industry is now? But I just don't like the lighting and tint applied to the maps. Gives a lot of them a washed out, almost bloom look, lot of color is missing too.

0s9rmyg.jpg

zGEb4.jpg

I've said it so many times. I just haven't liked the way the maps have looked in H4, H2A, and Halo 5. No I don't mean the visual fidelity wise. But something about them is off. Maybe it's just the way the industry is now? But I just don't like the lighting and tint applied to the maps. Gives a lot of them a washed out, almost bloom look, lot of color is missing too.

Halo 3 side: sunny day, bue skies, a beautiful day to die
Halo 4 side: trying to hard to be portentous with misty grey coloring and overwrought grey clouds and terrain.

Ragnerock was fun the first few weeks as a lot of new players weren't used to the map flow. After that, got my ass kicked on a more regular basis :\

Mistel

Banned
Ragnerock was fun the first few weeks as a lot of new players weren't used to the map flow. After that, got my ass kicked on a more regular basis :\
It's mostly just hold the hill at the center that's pretty much all of it. Hold that an you can pretty much stop anyone on the sides. But that usually doesn't work with randoms though even if you carry them.

Madness

Halo 3 side: sunny day, bue skies, a beautiful day to die
Halo 4 side: trying to hard to be portentous with misty grey coloring and overwrought grey clouds and terrain.

Ragnerock was fun the first few weeks as a lot of new players weren't used to the map flow. After that, got my ass kicked on a more regular basis :

Halo 4 just wasn't fun after a few weeks. Got tired of Infinity Slayer crap. Plus I hated the Mantis. And I think it's because it's all everyone picked. Either Exile or Ragnarok, over and over and over.

VinFTW

Just played Halo 3 w/ my buddy the other day. Valhalla and Halo 3 in general still has the best water in 99% of the games I've played.

It's so refreshing looking, I just want to dive in.

Impala26

Halo 4 just wasn't fun after a few weeks. Got tired of Infinity Slayer crap. Plus I hated the Mantis. And I think it's because it's all everyone picked. Either Exile or Ragnarok, over and over and over.

Oh God it hurts... Thanks for opening up an old wound.

Vortex was half-decent, but NO ONE EVER seemed to vote for it. Harvest SWAT was/is one of the best Halo SWAT experiences to date though.

But yeah, 343 needs a bit more work on the larger map design front.

Because it isn't H3's water

As in people making bullshit accusations or as in you think it would make Halo more like CoD?

The former, natch. "OMG, 343 is just copying Sledgehammer! First thrusters, which Halo has had in some form since Reach, now this exo-suit that Halo came up with years before. In an anime. Such obvious copying!"

Ghazi

0s9rmyg.jpg

zGEb4.jpg

Beauty in simplicity, Halo 4 dropped the simplicity.

Madness

Beauty in simplicity, Halo 4 dropped the simplicity.

That's one thing I don't think we'll ever get back. Maps need to be visually busy to make it seem like they are ridiculously detailed. But for Halo, simple geometry, clean sightlines, open rooms always made for the best gameplay. Along with nice vibrant colors. Not just 5 shades of the same color.

Eh. I think the color saturation is the real culprit here. Valhalla isn't really any visually "simpler" than Ragnarok, just more... robust.

Yeah this. You've got the bright greens, bright blue sky, blue river, dark grey structures, brown rocks, and then the deep red and blue Spartans.

-Ryn

Banned
The former, natch. "OMG, 343 is just copying Sledgehammer! First thrusters, which Halo has had in some form since Reach, now this exo-suit that Halo came up with years before. In an anime. Such obvious copying!"
'Tis true.

Though if it meant getting the PT suit in Halo 6...
worth every stupidly mind boggling, eye rolling, sanity sucking, brain bleaching, criminally devoid of research comment those shiznos could (and would) put out.

I gotta give it to em. 343 makes hella good rocks.
Sandstone.

Sandstone, everywhere.

What kind of rocks are those supposed to be anyway?

I know there's a joke here...

Ghazi

Eh. I think the color saturation is the real culprit here. Valhalla isn't really any visually "simpler" than Ragnarok, just more... robust.
Obviously the busy textures aren't the only issues, color saturation is a big thing. However, even if you were to fix the color balancing, the textures would still look too busy compared to Valhalla.

Obviously the busy textures aren't the only issues, color saturation is a big thing. However, even if you were to fix the color balancing, the textures would still look too busy compared to Valhalla.

They're definitely more involved, but I kind of like it. Upping the colors and making sure the Spartans stand out properly (and no haze, dammit), and I think you'd have a map that looks much better than Valhalla.

Ghazi

Has this community moved out of bronze tier yet?
Got placed into Silver 2
They're definitely more involved, but I kind of like it. Upping the colors and making sure the Spartans stand out properly (and no haze, dammit), and I think you'd have a map that looks much better than Valhalla.

Regardless, 343/CA have a problem with saturation and making maps look kinda ugly. I hope H5 is more colorful.

Imma forever scrub, newb class, mouthy gamer gal who's game style is part chihuahua, part ninja, all "Leroy Jenkins!". I may not be the best, but you will always have fun. The struggle to play TMCC with others is not fun.

Anakin, erp, 343, you've broken my heart...

-Ryn

Banned
HaloGAF is Na tier

Imma forever scrub, newb class, mouthy gamer gal who's game style is part chihuahua, part ninja, all "Leroy Jenkins!". I may not be the best, but you will always have fun. The struggle to play TMCC with others is not fun.

Anakin, erp, 343, you've broken my heart...
Favorite Gametype?

HaloGAF is Na tier

Favorite Gametype?

If I could only play one, BTB.

I like: BTB slayer, BTB CTF, headhunters (Reach!), shottys (punked), Grifball, Zombies, Assault, and a bunch of fun arcadey custom games.

And I will play what the consensus of the party dictates for the most part.

-Ryn

Banned
If I could only play one, BTB.

I like: BTB slayer, BTB CTF, headhunters (Reach!), shottys (punked), Grifball, Zombies, Assault, and a bunch of fun arcadey custom games.

And I will play what the consensus of the party dictates for the most part.
We're going to have a lot of fun

My post was specific, I was saying H4 Legendary settings for infantry combat in BTB > H3's

Halo 3 vehicle combat > H4's
Fixed that for you. It's not even close, at least not in my opinion.

H3 BR is perfect in BTB, because it actually doesn't hit from 300 miles away, where as the H4 DMR (and BR) can easily kill across the map. Also, H4 BTB couldn't be any more boring with vehicle health, terrible maps and amount of vehicles.
Massive exaggeration of the H4 BR, especially when you have sprint.
Every time I've played Ragnarok, map flow has been atrocious. Locks down way too hard due to the utility weapon design, tons of annoying back-and-forth at a few hardpoints which by themselves make for fairly bland encounters.

It's terrible.
Infantry combat was much better imo because there was more consistency in H4's sandbox at longer ranges. In Halo 3 I could see people strolling to my base and couldn't do anything about it except slowly move out of decent positioning to chase that kill or hold your ground and let them stroll on by. I rarely ever had difficulty moving around the map to where I wanted to go, and if I did then it was no different than a team controlling Valhalla with a Hog and/or Laser. If anything, you couldn't do shit against a team who had a mildly decent setup, but at least in H4 you could do something about it.

Plus, if the enemy has your team on lock in Ragnarok with Legendary settings, you should applaud them for working together because we all know how difficult it is to coordinate with teammates in BTB, no?
Hell, Valhalla even looks a lot better.
Ragnarok over Valhalla? Even with the sight lines coupled with the long range combat stifling movement?
Ragnarok looks like it has a filter that drained all of the color and life out of it.
Yup, although I disagree on the extent to which movement was stifled compared to Valhalla. People set up in the same positions, except in H4 their shots are more reliable, and don't forget the increased mobility options like faster movement and sprint.

Truth be told, neither BTB in general was anything extraordinary. I take comfort in believing BTB can't possibly get any worse..
..right?

Patch out for MCC yet?

Been playing far too much Elite Dangerous lately, so at least it's keeping me busy.

Picked up an EDTracker for headtracking - great little bit of kit, would thoroughly recommend. Feel free to check out my impressions here.

Omni

Something I've noticed about Halo in general since taking a break and returning is the excessive grenade spam. I really hate it. Even coming from Destiny. Every single encounter starts off with a million grenades being thrown back and forth

and why the hell can I still not find a game in BTB. Bleh

Leyasu

Banned
Why can this game not boot afk players?? 60 seconds, then booted!

Oh yeah, how about jip for non ranked playlists? I know this is a controversial subject, but one person leaving starts a domino effect. If its unranked, and peoples little number is not going to be affected, then does it matter?

Is it not possible to change the pastel colour armour in halo 4 with a patch?

-Ryn

Banned
Yup, although I disagree on the extent to which movement was stifled compared to Valhalla. People set up in the same positions, except in H4 their shots are more reliable, and don't forget the increased mobility options like faster movement and sprint.

Truth be told, neither BTB in general was anything extraordinary. I take comfort in believing BTB can't possibly get any worse..
..right?
I wonder if making precision weapons projectile based would help...

SANDTRAP BTB CTF
BTB CTF IN GENERAL
I see no possible way 343 could make it worse than vanilla H4

Patch out for MCC yet?

Been playing far too much Elite Dangerous lately, so at least it's keeping me busy.

Picked up an EDTracker for headtracking - great little bit of kit, would thoroughly recommend. Feel free to check out my impressions here.
Nope

What's Elite Dangerous like?

Something I've noticed about Halo in general since taking a break and returning is the excessive grenade spam. I really hate it. Even coming from Destiny. Every single encounter starts off with a million grenades being thrown back and forth

It's fun to begin and end with a bang. A smart Spartan always saved a grenade.

Mistel

Banned
My post was specific, I was saying H4 Legendary settings for infantry combat in BTB > H3's
That makes sense the faster movement speed really helps with infantry combat. 3 is a bit slow with the infantry combat due to its slow movement speed.
..right?
That's tempting fate...

Omni

It's fun to begin and end with a bang. A smart Spartan always saved a grenade.

Fun, sure. After a while it's a bit annoying though, IMO. Especially in H2:A.

Finally moved out of the stone age and upgraded my cheap 720p plasma to a full 1080p LED LCD Sony Bravia. Haha. Everything looks so much better now. I'm genuinely shocked at the difference. Halo 2 Anniversary looks freaking amazing

-Ryn

Banned
That makes sense the faster movement speed really helps with infantry combat. 3 is a bit slow with the infantry combat due to its slow movement speed.

That's tempting fate...
'EY!! Where you been!?

Fun, sure. After a while it's a bit annoying though, IMO. Especially in H2:A.

Finally moved out of the stone age and upgraded my cheap 720p plasma to a full 1080p LED LCD Sony Bravia. Haha. Everything looks so much better now. I'm genuinely shocked at the difference. Halo 2 Anniversary looks freaking amazing
I can certainly understand the frustration lol

--

I recently tried playing Halo 3 on our new 1080p TV and sweet jaggie Jebus it was weird. I can't believe I never noticed it before but maybe it's just the TV? I don't remember 3 looking so rough.

Oddly I don't notice much difference with OoT on my 64...

IHaveIce

Banned

Yep, I realized this already in H5s beta, Halo's grenade system is so fucking annoying after playing different games, I feel with all those abilities, strong melees and grenade spam I am most of the time not killed by shots.

Akai__

Why must Halo 4's water look like shit?

Probably wasn't worth the time, for such a small amount of water in H4. I actually can't remember, if there was any water at all in the campaign.

I'm still waiting on a proper water mission, where you ride any of these things:

I know boats and ships aren't the most practical thing in the Halo universe, but it would mix things up a little.

Top Bottom