• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Omni

Huh. Just discovered a cool thing on Halo 4's Composer level

At the airlock bits you can press a button as the Covenant enter the airlock and they get sucked out. I had no idea 0_o

Fuchsdh

Huh. Just discovered a cool thing on Halo 4's Composer level

At the airlock bits you can press a button as the Covenant enter the airlock and they get sucked out. I had no idea 0_o

Yep. Definitely helps manage the numbers, if you're quick you can kill all the reinforcements before they get in.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I guess I'll be playing World of Warcraft with my wife and Diablo 3 this weekend since Diablo 3's season two begins today!!

#fixhalo

#ilikegamesthatwork

Booties

Banned
Started in the iron now we here.

Started from the iron now the whole team f'n here

jk I'm silver

Anyone successfully get a MCC refurn? I might try my luck today since I can't fucking play the game it's so broke.

jem0208

To those who have or will be getting a refund, what happens if the next patch does fix the game? Are you just not going to bother?

OT, this whole Peter Molyneux thing on the gaming side is making me sad. Gamers are assholes.

Well if the patch dies, well...

Oops :3

Someone wanted a gif of this a while back.
Now Xbox Clips makes it so easy to do I thought I might as well.

Hey Stinkles, this is what I wanted you to see.

http://imgur.com/sCT27lW

I'm not sure that's actually a glitch - highjacking is just set up in such a way that when you're smashing a tank, the damage hitbox is a sort of "bubble" immediately surrounding the Spartan in order to harm the tank properly. The hitbox isn't just casting damage into the Wraith, it's a tangible thing - so if you get too close, you can be damaged by it.

I distinctly remember some kind of montage where a dude in Halo 3 was jacking a Wraith on Valhalla and got a triple kill because his dumbass enemies got too close.

Glass

MCC has its good and bad days, today it's behaving itself for me. I was one of the players who couldn't get a BTB match going no matter how long I waited, but suddenly it's decided to find me games, full matches of 8 vs 8 no less. Too early to tell which game does BTB best but it's a lot of chaotic fun in the meantime.

Also started the H4 campaign. What 343 squeezed out of the 360 visually makes me very excited for Halo 5. The start is really nicely done, some great set pieces. Love watching the grunts float off in zero gravity, and the moment as you exit that alcove and gaze upon the floating forerunner structures for the first time as the music hits it's stride is pretty special. Then I got in the warthog and wanted to cut my ears off, but still. I'm hoping the prometheans aren't as annoying as I remember.

With so much of H4 getting mixed opinions, it'll be interesting to see going forward what 343 keeps, what get's re-worked, and what will be thrown out not to be revisited altogether.

RowdyReverb

MCC has its good and bad days, today it's behaving itself for me. I was one of the players who couldn't get a BTB match going no matter how long I waited, but suddenly it's decided to find me games, full matches of 8 vs 8 no less. Too early to tell which game does BTB best but it's a lot of chaotic fun in the meantime.
It's funny because my luck with matchmaking today has been the opposite. I've had pretty decent times for the past couple days, but it took 10 minutes this time to find one. Probably because it isn't peak hours right now though

HTupolev

I actually can't remember, if there was any water at all in the campaign.
There was some. Puddles here and there on Requiem, ditto for Infinity, and the Forerunner Piss rivers on Reclaimer.

Probably wasn't worth the time, for such a small amount of water in H4.
And was probably above the graphical processing budget to do it better.

I recently tried playing Halo 3 on our new 1080p TV and sweet jaggie Jebus it was weird. I can't believe I never noticed it before but maybe it's just the TV? I don't remember 3 looking so rough.
Halo 3 definitely has significant aliasing, although the TV could be exacerbating the issue. For instance, check the sharpness setting; it should be at either 0 or 50, depending on which is equilibrium (if you set to 0 and the image gets insanely blurry, set it to 50 instead). You also might consider setting up fairly neutral choices for contrast, brightness, backlight, etc.

I was actually pretty impressived with how clean Halo 3 looked in my new Sony LCD after adjusting the settings to something reasonable.

Leyasu

Banned
It's funny because my luck with matchmaking today has been the opposite. I've had pretty decent times for the past couple days, but it took 10 minutes this time to find one. Probably because it isn't peak hours right now though

BTB was acting up today. But it was game after game on halo 4! It is hard being on sick leave!

link1201

Something I've noticed about Halo in general since taking a break and returning is the excessive grenade spam. I really hate it. Even coming from Destiny. Every single encounter starts off with a million grenades being thrown back and forth

and why the hell can I still not find a game in BTB. Bleh

I agree. I hope they address it in Halo 5. I thought there were too many grenades around during the beta.

I have given up on mcc until the big patch hits. It's less aggravating to have it out of sight and out of mind.

ANy body know if they are going to add the Spartan op cut scenes ever? It seems like kind of a shame not to have them as there are pretty important to the story, Also watching the cut scenes on you tube and play a couple. There was so much potential for spartan ops, i just wish that it could have been great. Im really hoping for halo 5 they are able to please everyone(not likely seeing some people in this community.)

It be cool to see Fire fight, Spartan op both in one game. But i also understand working on episodic stuff is very risky, I for one would have purchased every ounce of halo lore related gameplay/episodes, had they kept going up until the release of halo 5 (like they said they were going to) but with population drop off it wouldn't have been very realistic.

Plus resourcing going to content when it could have gone to making halo 5/ working on MCC would be kind of pointless IMO. So it make sense it didn't go further then it did.

But it would have been cool to play through part that took place in Escalation in stead of reading it.

Madness

Cutting firefight for Spartan Ops was dumb. You can just tell some suit probably thought, hey let's follow the Walking Dead model and incentivize the post-campaign content. Let's remove firefight and make it have an actual storyline. We'll get these suckers to pay for content week after week.

So no longer do you have a mode that allows for infinite coop play, but you have scripted boring levels set on the same area over and over. I don't even think I finished Spartan Ops season 2 even though it was better than the first. Whereas even in Reach, once I got bored with slayer or btb, I'd go and play a few matches in firefight.

I think I'd prefer for Firefight to be included and have Spartan Ops be a webseries or something. The episodic nature kind of limited the scope of the gameplay, but the story was pretty entertaining.

Firefight was one of the best additions to the game. You could play preset multiplayer, create ultra-hard modes, or even waves of grunts to mow down with unlimited ammo jello shooters ...sigh...

I think I'd prefer for Firefight to be included and have Spartan Ops be a webseries or something. The episodic nature kind of limited the scope of the gameplay, but the story was pretty entertaining.

I've watched the videos several times, but I've never had the urge to play those missions again.

Sorry Ellis.

jem0208

I don't think it's going to fix it fully, but I think I'm done, barring a massive price drop.
You said you weren't interested in the older Halos now though didn't you?

I'm curious about those who still want to play the games but are getting a refund because the MCC is broken.

Impala26

I'm curious about those who still want to play the games but are getting a refund because the MCC is broken.

MCC is still a crazy deal considering the amount of campaign content you're getting, especially if you're one who's missed even just one or two mainline Halo titles. Will newbies be able to access the ODST add-on through paid DLC? I've not heard anything on that front.

The one big question I want answered is, how have even those campaigns been effed up by the bugs in this package? Last time I played H2A campaign it seemed like there were several instances where the AI teammates would simply not follow along with you progressing through the level--I never seem to recall it happening like that. And then of course there's the failure to save progress bug.

I gave up my xbox 360. the only hope I have to play any of the games is for the collection to be fixed. I cannot be a complete asshat and take the 360 back from my brother even if I call Microsoft to get a refund for my digital copy. Even if I were to sell my xbox one.

Microsoft knew this would be a console mover. But, they did it in a manner that left us (those that only decided to buy the xbone whenn the MCC announced) screwed over-I think they KNEW the game would ship broken and thus did not bundle it.

We cannot really be brought whole through our own efforts. At this point the only way to be brought whole is for the MCC to work properly and to include the features that were present in the original games. How can you call it a port when it not only broken or buggy, its missing so many features from an older generation console? At this point I am very sad.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
I've watched the videos several times, but I've never had the urge to play those missions again.

Sorry Ellis.

I have thicker skin than all that. That was your experience and that's valid.

For myself, I'm proud of the missions I created in Spartan Ops. I learned a lot from the creative process, and I think people had fun playing them.

I gave up my xbox 360. the only hope I have to play any of the games is for the collection to be fixed. I cannot be a complete asshat and take the 360 back from my brother even if I call Microsoft to get a refund for my digital copy. Even if I were to sell my xbox one.

Microsoft knew this would be a console mover. But, they did it in a manner that left us (those that only decided to buy the xbone whenn the MCC announced) screwed over-I think they KNEW the game would ship broken and thus did not bundle it.

We cannot really be brought whole through our own efforts. At this point the only way to be brought whole is for the MCC to work properly and to include the features that were present in the original games. How can you call it a port when it not only broken or buggy, its missing so many features from an older generation console? At this point I am very sad.

Console manufactures begin planning their bundles very early in the year. If anything, the decision not to bundle the MCC was made because they believed it would be a strong seller with or without bundling. Why give away something that costs $60 bucks when you feel that a ton of people would purchase your system and the game?

Ramirez

I'm not interested in the current MCC Halo's, no. Too much wrong with them. It'll be months, if they ever reflect their end of life settings. Little stuff adds up, the audio in particular for Halo 3 is game breaking on a competitive level for me.

Plus, I have a feeling H5 is coming in September, and I know Hardline will carry me that far, MP wise.

There's also a part of me that just thinks the whole ordeal has been handled extremely poorly. I won't throw any shade at 343/MS, because I'm not that mad about it anymore, but it just doesn't feel right to me to give them money again for that particular product. I was one of the people telling people it'd get fixed quickly, and here we are. I was fully wrong on that, lol.

For myself, I'm proud of the missions I created in Spartan Ops. I learned a lot from the creative process, and I think people had fun playing them.

Right, and to be fair I haven't tried all the Spartan Ops missions either (very few in the second season, which reportedly was much improved overall, though my sample didn't seem to support that), so I might have not even played yours.

I'd really interested if you guys did a post-mortem on the subject, because my surface reaction is that there were way too many missions planned for the play spaces available.

-Ryn

Banned
Probably wasn't worth the time, for such a small amount of water in H4. I actually can't remember, if there was any water at all in the campaign.

I'm still waiting on a proper water mission, where you ride any of these things:

I know boats and ships aren't the most practical thing in the Halo universe, but it would mix things up a little.
Water physics or bust

Would love to see water vehicles in Halo and water placement in Forge.

FailuretoLaunch.jpg

Damn it, can't find the MC version posted in a previous thread... :-(
lol

Here and there mostly doing school stuff.
Coo'

Well you've been missed. Don't be a stranger.

Halo 3 definitely has significant aliasing, although the TV could be exacerbating the issue. For instance, check the sharpness setting; it should be at either 0 or 50, depending on which is equilibrium (if you set to 0 and the image gets insanely blurry, set it to 50 instead). You also might consider setting up fairly neutral choices for contrast, brightness, backlight, etc.

I was actually pretty impressived with how clean Halo 3 looked in my new Sony LCD after adjusting the settings to something reasonable.
I'll have to mess with the settings. The game still looks great but that aliasing is awful.
I thinky sharpness might be around 60 or 70 so it could definitely be the TV.

Thanks Tupo

Console manufactures begin planning their bundles very early in the year. If anything, the decision not to bundle the MCC was made because they believed it would be a strong seller with or without bundling. Why give away something that costs $60 bucks when you feel that a ton of people would purchase your system and the game?

At the time, I would have purchased the bundle for the combined price. I was disappointed there was no Halo special console edition. But if they bundled a broken game...both the game and the console...back they go. I have no recourse on the console, and none of the working games I was enjoying 3 months ago on the 360. I'm not just referring to Halo.

I'm geniunely curious approx. how many were involved in the game missions e.g. did the SPOPS game side team(s) have a lot of resources dedicated to missions?

I liked some of the missions, dislike the repetitive nature but really enjoyed the concept of SPOPS. It would have been fun to work on.

Impala26

Right, and to be fair I haven't tried all the Spartan Ops missions either (very few in the second season, which reportedly was much improved overall, though my sample didn't seem to support that), so I might have not even played yours.

I'd really interested if you guys did a post-mortem on the subject, because my surface reaction is that there were way too many missions planned for the play spaces available.

The second half of SpOps was decided better than the original 5 episodes. I really like the missions onboard the Infinity as they really had a sense of urgency to them that was lacking to prior missions (even if that urgency was entirely artificial in terms of game context). The play areas/environments were also a step up too--people loved to talk about the one with the Harvester, but my favorite was the massive level featuring a huge muti-tiered cave system. It was a great vehicle playground. The overall story progression was much more urgent and captivating as well, even within the individual mission context.

Pretty sure Granadier posted it like two OT's back about a week after MCC launch (thus the subject)

Fuchsdh

They could have cut one or two missions each chapter and changed nothing else, and people would have had more positive responses to Spartan Ops. I dunno if the number of missions was something set early on and some of the recycling was simple time pressures, but reducing the number of times you played Cauldron or Hacksaw would have made it flow better and feel less repetitive, even with the button-pushing-orientated nature of the gameplay.

The second half of SpOps was decided better than the original 5 episodes. I really like the missions onboard the Infinity as they really had a sense of urgency to them that was lacking to prior missions (even if that urgency was entirely artificial in terms of game context). The play areas/environments were also a step up too--people loved to talk about the one with the Harvester, but my favorite was the massive level featuring a huge muti-tiered cave system. It was a great vehicle playground. The overall story progression was much more urgent and captivating as well, even within the individual mission context.

Pretty sure Granadier posted it like two OT's back about a week after MCC launch (thus the subject)

Yeah the cave map was probably the best in terms of its use—you could play that map three times (and I think it featured at least that many) and it felt different due to the massive elevation changes and multiple pathways through it. The weaker SpOps maps really just felt like you started on one end and charged through, and then the next time did it in reverse.

I did wish that the Engineering mission In Ep 7 did feature a time limit. Some time-sensitive objectives would have been great, as well as maybe some carrier objectives (hauling bombs or extracting intel, rather than clearing enemies around it.)

Impala26

They could have cut one or two missions each chapter and changed nothing else, and people would have had more positive responses to Spartan Ops. I dunno if the number of missions was something set early on and some of the recycling was simple time pressures, but reducing the number of times you played Cauldron or Hacksaw would have made it flow better and feel less repetitive, even with the button-pushing-orientated nature of the gameplay.

Hacksaw did get old for sure, but it had the one mission that was decidedly the most "Firefight-esque" with a straight up Generator Defense mission. As such, that was one of the very few missions of SpOps you could straight up FAIL if you lost all three generators.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Did you do the missions that took place at Apex?

Was not I. Chris French, Tom French (no relation) and TJ Perillo designed those mission.

Since I don't actually remember the names of the missions and shipping map names (We used temp titles for both and they are permanently stuck in my memory), I'll list the missions I did by episode and mission number with brief descriptions.

E3:M3 - Rescue the crew of a downed Pelican. Activate the rear tower.
E3:M4 - Defend location until reinforcements arrive. Mantis mission.
E4:M2 - Return on hunt for Jul M'dama. Mission ends with player activating and launching into a portal on the rear tower.

E6:M4 - Activate Infinity defense turrets to destroy Covenant cruiser. (Right after deactivating nukes.
E9:M1 - Find the trail for Halsey. Activate Forerunner device. Player teams up with mysteriously friendly auto turrets and Sentinels to defeat enemies and release a data stream.
E10:M5 - Season finale. Activate the Harvester. Enter interior and decouple Forerunner artifact to release Infinity from orbit.

I provided additional design support on a few other missions, but above represents the bulk of my work on Spartan Ops in Halo 4.

Fuchsdh

Hacksaw did get old for sure, but it had the one mission that was decidedly the most "Firefight-esque" with a straight up Generator Defense mission. As such, that was one of the very few missions of SpOps you could straight up FAIL if you lost all three generators.

Yeah, that was a good mission. When I think back to which ones I specifically remember, I go with Hacksaw defense, Ragnarok Mantis mission, comm defense for "Spartan Miller", first mission of Season 1.5 (with the host assassination), boarding Infinity, and the final mission with the Harvester and Requiem going crazy.

I think from a story standpoint cutting some of the missions also works because it doesn't make everyone look so incompetent. Yeah, I know in real life wars sometimes people fight over the same piece of turf constantly. But in the story it made A) the UNSC seem like chumps, and B) Jul incompetent to constantly be losing these same areas. I guess it makes you feel like you're the only one who can do stuff, but that's probably not a good thing to spite the marines to make the Spartans look like the only effective people on the ground.

I still like SpOps a bunch, and hope we get a refined mode like it in the future. It'd be cool to have the Firefight-like holdout moments in the campaign, and then have those be separate Firefight arenas outside it, too.

You can't melee 117. He doesn't die.

My tag was 117 too...
>_>

I'm not sure that's actually a glitch - highjacking is just set up in such a way that when you're smashing a tank, the damage hitbox is a sort of "bubble" immediately surrounding the Spartan in order to harm the tank properly. The hitbox isn't just casting damage into the Wraith, it's a tangible thing - so if you get too close, you can be damaged by it.

I distinctly remember some kind of montage where a dude in Halo 3 was jacking a Wraith on Valhalla and got a triple kill because his dumbass enemies got too close.

Less a glitch report and more of an amusing clip.
Especially since he doesn't stop trying to kill the wraith.

Top Bottom