• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Was not I. Chris French, Tom French (no relation) and TJ Perillo designed those mission.

Since I don't actually remember the names of the missions and shipping map names (We used temp titles for both and they are permanently stuck in my memory), I'll list the missions I did by episode and mission number with brief descriptions.

E3:M3 - Rescue the crew of a downed Pelican. Activate the rear tower.
E3:M4 - Defend location until reinforcements arrive. Mantis mission.
E4:M2 - Return on hunt for Jul M'dama. Mission ends with player activating and launching into a portal on the rear tower.

E6:M4 - Activate Infinity defense turrets to destroy Covenant cruiser. (Right after deactivating nukes.
E9:M1 - Find the trail for Halsey. Activate Forerunner device. Player teams up with mysteriously friendly auto turrets and Sentinels to defeat enemies and release a data stream.
E10:M5 - Season finale. Activate the Harvester. Enter interior and decouple Forerunner artifact to release Infinity from orbit.

I provided additional design support on a few other missions, but above represents the bulk of my work on Spartan Ops in Halo 4.

Oh sweet, you helped make some of my favorites.

jem0208

I still haven't finished Spartan Ops. I played through the first 5 episodes I think and then just sorta gave up. They weren't bad, they were just a bit too repetitive. I did play them solo though so that may have been a factor on my enjoyment.

I might get around to finishing it sometime. Probably on the build up to 5's launch.

Spartan Ops needs a RNG loot system.
It is pretty crazy how similar Spartan Ops and Destiny's mission design is.

With a loot system and a more social focus Spartan Ops basically is a Halo version of Destiny.

belushy

Banned
Get rid of Spartan Ops and Firefight. Put all the resources into forge. Let us put A.I in and then script that A.I. Now we can release our own Firefight and Spartan Ops missions.

Mistel

Banned
E4:M2 - Return on hunt for Jul M'dama. Mission ends with player activating and launching into a portal on the rear tower.

E6:M4 - Activate Infinity defense turrets to destroy Covenant cruiser. (Right after deactivating nukes.
E9:M1 - Find the trail for Halsey. Activate Forerunner device. Player teams up with mysteriously friendly auto turrets and Sentinels to defeat enemies and release a data stream.
E10:M5 - Season finale. Activate the Harvester. Enter interior and decouple Forerunner artifact to release Infinity from orbit.

I provided additional design support on a few other missions, but above represents the bulk of my work on Spartan Ops in Halo 4.
You did a lot of the ones that used multiplayer maps other than a few of them from portions of campaign missions. Were they designed around the maps or were the maps designed with Spartan ops in mind?

Firefight could've easily existed along with Spartan Ops. So many areas they could've used.

I think it would be a chore trying to find the jackal or the elite hiding or being stuff in a far place.

Was not I. Chris French, Tom French (no relation) and TJ Perillo designed those mission.

Since I don't actually remember the names of the missions and shipping map names (We used temp titles for both and they are permanently stuck in my memory), I'll list the missions I did by episode and mission number with brief descriptions.

You made the fun ones <3

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
You did a lot of the ones that used multiplayer maps other than a few of them from portions of campaign missions. Were they designed around the maps or were the maps designed with Spartan ops in mind?

If I understand you're question correctly, the maps came first and we designed the missions to fit the space in situations where we were reusing a location from campaign or MP.

Fuchsdh

Get rid of Spartan Ops and Firefight. Put all the resources into forge. Let us put A.I in and then script that A.I. Now we can release our own Firefight and Spartan Ops missions.

That would in practical terms, mean a lot less content for most players.

The majority of people never touch all the custom content you put out there. Even if you improve the tools and distribution methods, that's probably not going to change.

Overdoziz

Banned
I like the idea a lot but really did not dig the execution.

Not super opposed to it coming back, albeit after an overhaul.
Episodic content can work fine, but if you end up with with something like Halo 4's Spartan Ops you've gotta reevaluate how you're approaching things. It was a mode with repetitive missions, repetitive environments, a story somehow worse than the campaign's and and a co-op aspect that was only justified by the ridiculous amount of enemies and weaponry randomly thrown in your direction.

Episodic content can work fine, but if you end up with with something like Halo 4's Spartan Ops you've gotta reevaluate how you're approaching things. It was a mode with repetitive missions, repetitive environments, a story somehow worse than the campaign's and and a co-op aspect that was only justified by the ridiculous amount of enemies and weaponry randomly thrown in your direction.

Spartan Ops was so horribly broad and poorly done. All it needed was some goddamn stakes. Limit my lives. Give me a leaderboard and ways to score well. That's all I ask. Well, the other part is to make interesting encounters are make them related to the clips you play before them, but that seems like too much to ask for.

Cutting firefight for Spartan Ops was dumb. You can just tell some suit probably thought, hey let's follow the Walking Dead model and incentivize the post-campaign content. Let's remove firefight and make it have an actual storyline. We'll get these suckers to pay for content week after week.

So no longer do you have a mode that allows for infinite coop play, but you have scripted boring levels set on the same area over and over. I don't even think I finished Spartan Ops season 2 even though it was better than the first. Whereas even in Reach, once I got bored with slayer or btb, I'd go and play a few matches in firefight.
I get that and i assume This is very likely thought i dont see how they both could not co exist together,

But the idea that you will get new content thats also Playable continuiously till the next game was very pleasing im just sad it didn't pan out, I enjoy many of the missions I do wish there was more depth to many of them but that likely due to budge and time registrants

Firefight could've easily existed along with Spartan Ops. So many areas they could've used.
Agreed.
I have thicker skin than all that. That was your experience and that's valid.

For myself, I'm proud of the missions I created in Spartan Ops. I learned a lot from the creative process, and I think people had fun playing them.
I enjoy Spartan ops immensely, I could only imagine would could have been done with the right amount of resources,

With respect to the MCC.
After it is finally fixed, or as close as it can get, hopefully within in a few months, need to up the playerbase.

I'm thinking maybe month before or during the leadup to E3 make it either GwG or free to download, the multiplayer component at least. Something of the sort.

belushy

Banned
That would in practical terms, mean a lot less content for most players.

The majority of people never touch all the custom content you put out there. Even if you improve the tools and distribution methods, that's probably not going to change.

That is true, but assuming the tools were powerful enough, they could always use it themselves to make "official" Spartan Ops missions or FF scenarios.

dude527

Neo Member
What makes you so sure that this is the *one*?

Seeing Stinkles double down on this one has given me some confidence in it. However, after almost 44% of the last one arguably just failed to actually make the changes stated in the patch notes, I'm still a bit cynical. But again, it sounds like this one has been cooking for a long time. Here's hoping. Getting a bit sick of playing the Campaigns over and over.

100K hype.

Competitive community are extremely fortunate to be getting that much prize money considering how small the scene is in terms of player base and amount of viewers. Just think about how much money the Smash scene and SF (before this year's $500k announcement) get and they vastly outnumber the Halo scene in player base and viewers.

I'm happy for the top players like 2gre though.

FyreWulff

Firefight needed to exist alongside Spartan Ops. A lot of the missions were fun, but since they were set in a certain way you never got to say "hey, that ______ happened in our last game!" from something emerging from the natural progression of Firefight.

Add in the lack of campaign engine theater and it wasn't really possible to share SPOPS experiences anyway, so once you were done, everything vanished and there wasn't even a score to compare with other people.

I think they were heading in the right direction at that MP maps should also support Firefight in addition to carved out campaign spaces / unique spaces. Would have been nice in Reach to play Firefight on MP spaces.

Fuchsdh

That is true, but assuming the tools were powerful enough, they could always use it themselves to make "official" Spartan Ops missions or FF scenarios.

This is true, but we don't see many AAA game dev dogfood in that respect with an engine that's not Unity/UE? Only good example I can think of is Blizzard's RTS World Editors. I assume there are reasons for it (and a reason Blizzard basically says "if it's broke, don't come to us" with its editor.) Someone more knowledgeable can tell me if the HEK was actually that fully featured; my understanding was at least initially it was highly limited in its capabilities compared to a full level creator (and why they didn't port over the campaign to Custom Edition.)

FyreWulff

Gearbox didn't port the campaign to CE themselves basically because they weren't budgeted to port the campaign over to CE. The community did it for them.

The Halo tools of the time would definitely need some.. UI friendliness work, but it's pretty powerful.

Firefight needed to exist alongside Spartan Ops. A lot of the missions were fun, but since they were set in a certain way you never got to say "hey, that ______ happened in our last game!" from something emerging from the natural progression of Firefight.

Add in the lack of campaign engine theater and it wasn't really possible to share SPOPS experiences anyway, so once you were done, everything vanished and there wasn't even a score to compare with other people.

I think they were heading in the right direction at that MP maps should also support Firefight in addition to carved out campaign spaces / unique spaces. Would have been nice in Reach to play Firefight on MP spaces.

Forgeable Firefight maps would give the mode a whole new life. PvE experience with buildable bases and such.

Even better if you could have one player as an active monitor building shit as the game goes on getting rewarded a budget based on his teams survival and kill ratings.

Spartan Ops has a place, That place just isn't the same place as FF. SpOps is more akin to campaign than FF why would you cut one for another.

in magic land where everything is possible id want.

Campaign (with tags set's more expansive than elsewhere)
Firefight (segmented campaign locations + MP maps + Forge maps + objective scripting)
Spartan Ops (Episodic released co-op story driven)
Arena Multiplayer (MLG friendly, core gameplay)
Warzone Multiplayer (Larger Big team gameplay, Invasion returning)
Forge (Arena/Warzone/Firefight map creation, Terrain editing or expansive terrain sandbox)

Armory (H4/Reach style but with attention paid to legacy stuff like Security Helm, EVA, Mk 5 and 6, Recon, ODST, HAYAFUCKINGBUSA)
Player ID (Avatar, Spartan/Elite pose, Service Tag, nameplats etc)

Halo Reach delivered a shit load of content and Halo 4 almost felt like a step back from that.

pipe dreams:

firefight returns w/ big bosses

spartan ops turns into a mini destiny

Please and thank you. Any time I fight a Fallen my heart longs that they were Elites...

Halo Reach delivered a shit load of content and Halo 4 almost felt like a step back from that.

There was a bit of a glut of choices in Reach, but I also think 4 had too many as well. At least too many unmemorable ones.

Just keep my GUNGNIR, 343. I love me my GUNGNIR....

Fuchsdh

I think they really should just pare back the armory stuff, because designing so many choices really just leads to glut, but on the other hand A) if people want maps to be free, seems like that's just going to mean more armor/skins/voices/customization DLC; and B) people have some weird design choices and favorites (witness: GUNGNIR). :)

RBK

Banned
Spartan/weapon skin DLC similar to COD/Gears?

Don't mind paying for maps, only a small list of franchises I'm willing to give my money for them.

VinFTW

You'd put up with it, begrudgingly.

I really, really wouldnt

I'm a huge halo fan, I dont blame anybody for reading my post and rolling their eyes, but come on now, Battlefront, Zelda, Uncharted, MGS, etc, why would I waste time/money on Halo maps when they should be free to avoid splitting of the community. Its an eSport centric, 2015 shooter ffs lol

I'd drop a few bucks on some CSGO style skins though...

Booshka

I really, really wouldnt

I'm a huge halo fan, I dont blame anybody for reading my post and rolling their eyes, but come on now, Battlefront, Zelda, Uncharted, MGS, etc, why would I waste time/money on Halo maps when they should be free to avoid splitting of the community. Its an eSport centric, 2015 shooter ffs lol

I'd drop a few bucks on some CSGO style skins though...

Cuz you are way too dug in to the community to just check out over DLC maps. We'll see though.

VinFTW

Cuz you are way too dug in to the community to just check out over DLC maps. We'll see though.

With so many games, i'd enjoy the fuck out of the game but buying dlc maps is a big difference.

Never bought any h4 map packs, I think I didn't buy any Reach map packs? (maybe 1) and 1 or 2 of the H3 ones.

Just not my thing, especially now in this age

I've never paid for Halo maps, and I don't intend to start now!

I bought Premium though, never again.

BF4?

To be fair the DLC in BF4 looked pretty amazing, only got Naval Strike. Regretted that. Heard good things about the rest though.

Yea, BF4. It's a barren wasteland for stuff I like to play (Rush).

Ill never forget how amazing Rush was in BC and BC2. Two of my favorite shooters, ever. BC2 was so damn good for rush.

Now I have to decide if Heist will be enough to get Hardline, looks pretty interesting.

• If CGB: I will probably buy map packs.
  • If no CGB: Seriously reconsider supporting that anymore. Main reason I bought them in the past was for achievements and to get some games in while they were fresh, but seeing as how the achievements in TMCC are absurd and the game still having issues, I don't even think I'll ever care about 100%'ing Halo games anymore.

Fuchsdh

• If CGB: I will probably buy map packs.
  • If no CGB: Seriously reconsider supporting that anymore. Main reason I bought them in the past was for achievements and to get some games in while they were fresh, but seeing as how the achievements in TMCC are absurd and the game still having issues, I don't even think I'll ever care about 100%'ing Halo games anymore.

Nothing achievement-wise in TMCC is that crazy, aside from the LASO and speed run achievements (but even then they're really just dedication.)

I'm just convinced they'll keep adding achievements with ODST and I'll never catch up. Currently at 399/500...

The LASO and speedrun achievements would take way too much time, so no point in 100%. Maybe one day I'll get that drive, but even then.. how much time and effort would I have to put into it? More than Halo 2 Vista, that's for sure lol

Reminds me of the disappointment that was Dead Space 2's hardcore achievement after 100%'ing the first one.

Omni

I'm only 51% through the MCC. There's just so many. I've already accepted that I'll never get close to 100%.
I've never paid for Halo maps, and I don't intend to start now!

I bought Premium though, never again.

I bought Premium in BF3 and BF4. Rather surprising considering EA, but I actually feel like I got my money's worth. More of a conquest player though

Top Bottom