• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

CyReN

Team Snipers has no Halo 3, but includes H1 Wizard but no Boarding Action?

Rumble Pit has no H1/H2C, but a boat load of H4 maps and fan favorites like Ghost Town, Isolation, and Orbital..

i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills.gif

dwells

Just tried to play for the first time in a couple months since there's new Rumble Pit. Thirty minutes passed before I found a game, then people voted H2A Lockout anyway, after a long load screen it showed the players and then immediately crashed to the game over screen.

It's like actually hard to believe just how bad this flaming pile of garbage actually is.

VinFTW

Rumble Pit has no H1/H2C, but a boat load of H4 maps and fan favorites like Ghost Town, Isolation, and Orbital..

At that point why bother? Why make your game look worse by putting out the playlist when you could just wait till you can include everything?

Ugh

-Ryn

Banned
I will somehow 100% TMMC
if I ever get it...
:'(

Pretty sure Granadier posted it like two OT's back about a week after MCC launch (thus the subject)
In my search I came across this little number

C5LS7.jpg

I would actually love this as a special armor

Cortana stayin' classy

isaiahpmarshall

Neo Member
Welp.. 3 more things on the to-do list for The Master Chief Collection:

1. Add Halo: CE and H2C into Rumble Pit
2. Add Boarding Action into the Team Snipers Playlist
3. Add Halo 3 in the Team Snipers Playlist

Seriously take advantage of the cross-game playlists and include as many games, maps, and modes as you can 343! There's a reason the voting system exists.

DJ Gunner

...If this is the kind of playlist management we can expect, then I'm not sure how excited to be about a "fix-all" patch.

Seriously is ANYONE paying attention when they put these things together?

WOW.

I don't know if it's just me but matchmaking seems a lot faster. Team snipers has been finding really quick games for me and BTB doesn't make me wait 5-10 minutes just to find a match :D

Mix

hey dudes, what do you guys think about the design of the new Epoch class ship? To me, it feels more like classic Halo designs than the Infinity did, so that's a plus. What about y'all?

Omni

hey dudes, what do you guys think about the design of the new Epoch class ship? To me, it feels more like classic Halo designs than the Infinity did, so that's a plus. What about y'all?

Where did you get that from?

also is that the same thing that was in the sky during Halo 4?

HTupolev

I'm not sure I'd agree. It's got some classic elements, but it's very frilly. And annoyingly, it has abysmal directionality. Poor thing is styled like a bike with handlebars on both sides.

-Ryn

Banned
What the fuck did I post!!?
I could go and explore the entirety of those 2 OT's... maybe...

My sides

Looks pretty cool. Wouldn't mind seeing them continue with that direction.

The classic Halo designs were great so it's at least nice to see something more reminiscent of them.

Fuchsdh

I will somehow 100% TMMC
if I ever get it...
:'(

In my search I came across this little number

C5LS7.jpg

I would actually love this as a special armor

Cortana stayin' classy
Haha where'd you dredge that up from? Gotta do a nicer version if that some day...

...If this is the kind of playlist management we can expect, then I'm not sure how excited to be about a "fix-all" patch.

I've said it before, we should be 3 months into ameliorating day-one-donkey playlist decisions through forum groaning and seeing a saner playlist set up take shape. Everyone here knows the score on the MM lifecycle of a Halo game. It goes:

1) Launch month. Likely the highest the population's ever going to be. Generic and staple playlist setup, which means players spend a lot of time playing gametypes they rather wouldn't. SMG/AR starts in BTB, shotty snipes in TS, instant respawn in H4. There'll be setups so bad, you won't believe they existed when Fyrewulf tells you about them in 6 years time.

2) Second month. Rank silliness like AR's in BTB and the decision to have Regicide but no FFA will be overturned.

3) 3-6 month period post launch. After months of near universal howling on the forums, labour intensive graft like deleting a couple of fusion coils will finally be done. By now a healthy balance of mainstream and niche playlists.

4) 6 - 12 months. The golden age of the game where the decision to make BR starts largely ubiquitous intersects with a population still high enough that it isn't solely comprised of video game Navy Seals treating social slayer like an MLG 100k final. Big DLC promotion pack comes in on the twelve month mark.

5) 12 - 18 months post launch. Population declines but holds a steady baseline. At some point, one of your favourite playlists will be inexplicably removed. DLC maps will be integrated into the main playlists and you'll never see them again.

6) Thereafter. Halo dev will be gearing up for the release of the next instalment and will put this one to bed. Will promise to consolidate playlists and never get round to it. If you're lucky, there'll be two playlists that both have settings that are playable and have enough people playing them to match make.

MCC will never get the chance it deserved. CE, 2 and 3 got three years to refine, Reach and 4 only two years apiece. If Halo 5 launches in September, MCC will have had less than a year. Less than 12 months for fans to enjoy it and have resources dedicated to it. Three months of that very limited time has already expired and the game still hasn't attained the level of basic functioning.

Now, here's what I don't get. CE, 2 and 3 had their three years of setting refinement; we know what does and doesn't work in those games. And yet there has patently been no care or consideration into how those titles are represented in the MCC. 4v4 Slayer has never worked on High Ground for it is a one flag/bomb map and Lord knows, with every map available to the player, no dlc divisions, we ain't gotta dream no more man, maps that play certain gametypes to their optimum can be paired and we can have a greatest hits collection of MM down the years. We know SMG starts never work, we know one sided objective maps don't play Slayer well, we know two flag on Rats Nest finishes too quickly and therefore doesn't work but Neutral Bomb does and has a fantastic to and fro. Do 343 know? They certainly have people there who have loved and played Halo for years (Ghost, Neighbor, Bravo, Tash, Domino); were they not offered input or opinion on the playlist makeup?

tl:dr what the FUCK @ no H3 in Team Snipers.

uwdanman

Neo Member
Now, here's what I don't get. CE, 2 and 3 had their three years of setting refinement; we know what does and doesn't work in those games. And yet there has patently been no care or consideration into how those titles are represented in the MCC. 4v4 Slayer has never worked on High Ground for it is a one flag/bomb map and Lord knows, with every map available to the player, no dlc divisions, we ain't gotta dream no more man, maps that play certain gametypes to their optimum can be paired and we can have a greatest hits collection of MM down the years. We know SMG starts never work, we know one sided objective maps don't play Slayer well, we know two flag on Rats Nest finishes too quickly and therefore doesn't work but Neutral Bomb does and has a fantastic to and fro. Do 343 know? They certainly have people there who have loved and played Halo for years (Ghost, Neighbor, Bravo, Tash, Domino); were they not offered input or opinion on the playlist makeup?

They keep saying they're testing the playlists before putting them out. I honestly can't think of how much they can be testing. It took 3 months to institute a Rumble Pit across games. Then they proceed to leave certain game out! How can that even be possible?

You summed it up clearly and I agree. These games have been played for over a decade... why is 343i so hell bent on going against what has worked and trying to put out a new spin? MCC was described as a "labor of love" for the Halo community. Why not use the gametypes on the maps that they Halo players have loved to play?

Leyasu

Banned
I've said it before, we should be 3 months into ameliorating day-one-donkey playlist decisions through forum groaning and seeing a saner playlist set up take shape. Everyone here knows the score on the MM lifecycle of a Halo game. It goes:

1) Launch month. Likely the highest the population's ever going to be. Generic and staple playlist setup, which means players spend a lot of time playing gametypes they rather wouldn't. SMG/AR starts in BTB, shotty snipes in TS, instant respawn in H4. There'll be setups so bad, you won't believe they existed when Fyrewulf tells you about them in 6 years time.

2) Second month. Rank silliness like AR's in BTB and the decision to have Regicide but no FFA will be overturned.

3) 3-6 month period post launch. After months of near universal howling on the forums, labour intensive graft like deleting a couple of fusion coils will finally be done. By now a healthy balance of mainstream and niche playlists.

4) 6 - 12 months. The golden age of the game where the decision to make BR starts largely ubiquitous intersects with a population still high enough that it isn't solely comprised of video game Navy Seals treating social slayer like an MLG 100k final. Big DLC promotion pack comes in on the twelve month mark.

5) 12 - 18 months post launch. Population declines but holds a steady baseline. At some point, one of your favourite playlists will be inexplicably removed. DLC maps will be integrated into the main playlists and you'll never see them again.

6) Thereafter. Halo dev will be gearing up for the release of the next instalment and will put this one to bed. Will promise to consolidate playlists and never get round to it. If you're lucky, there'll be two playlists that both have settings that are playable and have enough people playing them to match make.

MCC will never get the chance it deserved. CE, 2 and 3 got three years to refine, Reach and 4 only two years apiece. If Halo 5 launches in September, MCC will have had less than a year. Less than 12 months for fans to enjoy it and have resources dedicated to it. Three months of that very limited time has already expired and the game still hasn't attained the level of basic functioning.

Good post. I would like to believe that the maps that play certain game types well will be sorted appropriately after they fix this. We will see I suppose.

I loves it, though I like the new Covenant heavy cruiser more. Definitely looking forward to picking up some models when this comes out.

singhr1

WOW.

I don't know if it's just me but matchmaking seems a lot faster. Team snipers has been finding really quick games for me and BTB doesn't make me wait 5-10 minutes just to find a match :D

COMPLETELY AGREE. BTB doesn't take 10 min to find a game, connect, etc. Assault on Rat's Nest at 11 am. Aww yeah.

Madness

Great post Henery. I don't know what more to say either. The way they've also handled Halo 3 has been such a disappointment. Vanilla launch maps and settings, it's not in SWAT, Team Snipers, Team Hardcore. What's the issue?

I'm probably the only one disappointed that Halo 4s rumble pit mode is slayer pro. Which is fine, sure. But I really rely on that thruster so it's a little jarring coming from the normal playlist to rumble pit.

But I had a blast playing FFA last night. Came in second way to much. There's always someone better I guess.

Karl2177

I'm just here to say that I booted up the game, started the Master Chief Saga playlist, and it kicked me to menu after I exited the Cryo-Pod in CEA. I saw there was Team Snipers, but then I saw there wasn't Halo 3. Back over to Destiny, I guess...

We need scarab's in Halo 5 BTB. Would be epic.

That would be cool if there was like some sort of Battle Editor where you could forge your own campaign missions and include the AI for things like the Scarab. But on the matchmaking side of it, I don't think Scarabs would be great for it because they function more as set pieces in the singleplayer. The only way I could see it working is if there was a gametype around it where one team tries to attack and destroy the Scarab and the other team tries to defend it until either A.) the attackers run out if time or B.) if the attackers run out of lives (like in BF's rush mode). Imagine it sort of working on a Map set up similarly to the Scarab encounter in the mission "The Storm" in Halo 3.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Any tips on defeating the Prophet on Heroic or higher in H2A? I have very limited sniper and BR ammo right now and playing hide and seek is too RNG based.

The infinity is just a big box ship like a wood stick but in gray, at least this one looks more detailed.

Speaking of. Did we ever find out what happened to those guys in the comics?

The SoF ? still stranded, somehow there was a flood outbreak inside the ship, forcing the crew to evacuate.

NOKYARD

Any tips on defeating the Prophet on Heroic or higher in H2A? I have very limited sniper and BR ammo right now and playing hide and seek is too RNG based.
Ditch the Sniper. Use the BR on Grunts only. Sword and Grenades for dealing with the Elites. There is also a Fuel Rod under the stairs.

Be very aggressive and kill as few enemies as possible. Resist the urge to kill everything. It's better to kill one Elite and have the rest chase you, than to kill 2 Elites and have another wave spawn.

Punch the Prophet and head to the side stage doorway of least resistance making sure the enemies see you go through the door to force them to follow. Sneak up the stairs and immediately jump the Prophet from the bridge. Try to time it so the enemies are in the stair well when you jump him. While punching the Prophet you can turn the camera to plan your escape route.

If you see more than 2 elites head outside so you can use dropped weapons to kill all but one of the Elites who follow. Then grab a fresh Sword from under the stairs on your way back in.

Most importantly, make sure Prophet Birthday Party skull is turned on.

Top Bottom