• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

So my boredom on Halopedia hasn't been totally pointless. Eden/Empire takes place on Andesia, which is where Cadmon Lasky and his ODST squad were killed.

Mistel

Banned
Rockslider's stuff is very heavily focused around carefully-planned setups. The guy is very deliberate in his (ab)use of Halo 1's checkpoint system, for instance. In addition to his own exploration, Rockslider draws upon the old knowledge of sites like High Impact Halo.
You can really do that much by delaying/abusing checkpoints?

HTupolev

You can really do that much by delaying/abusing checkpoints?
What do you mean "that much"? Obviously delaying a checkpoint won't put a tank on a bridge by itself, but checkpoint management is a huge part of keeping tricks sane. The main purpose being planning out repeatability. AotCR is fairly gentle about it since it has a reasonably well-placed infinite-use checkpoint, but some tricks have required people be aggressive with checkpoint rationing.
(You also need to be careful about avoiding unwanted checkpoints; people have ruined 10-hour trick setups before by getting a spurious checkpoint after kabooming a grenade pile or some such business!)

But the idea extends to resource management in general. An example I like: for the T3T Revisited video, WLT wanted to get to the top of the first blue beam tower on Halo in single player. But you can't really use the first group of marines to create a proper tower launch grenade pile, so he had to fetch the marines from the second half of the level. But this is problematic, since you can only activate the light bridge once, and it deactivates when you leave the tunnel system. So he skipped the bridge activation. He also had to be careful with where the big marine group is located at any point in time. For instance, when he needed to launch back across the chasm, the marines needed to be far enough away to not turn on him when he killed guys for the grenade pile, but they also needed to be within the tunnel system so that he didn't deactivate the bridge when fetching them.

By the way, the video I linked, watch the whole thing. It's an incredibly cool compilation.

Madness

I just don't understand the oversight on the project? These are all Halo fans. Did none of them think that hey, Bungie had years of data for settings, gametypes, map changes implemented into the games. Let's make sure those are the versions in the multi-player and not the vanilla launch night settings.

Also, what's taking ranks so long? They don't really matter right now with all the quitters, crashes, and low player base, but still, I'd rather have some form of ranks than nothing at all.

If anybody wants to join me in a few attempts to have some fun in customs, or even matchmaking, I will be firing up ye olde Xbone at 6:00pm PST tonight. I've been known to throw a good party and as always it's BYOB.

I will keep my bitter bitter tears about the current sorry state of the MCC to a minimum. That way, I can shed them in private after the game fails to load and breaks up the party after 3-5 games.

Gamertag: AnonomissX

<3

dwells

I just don't understand the oversight on the project? These are all Halo fans. Did none of them think that hey, Bungie had years of data for settings, gametypes, map changes implemented into the games. Let's make sure those are the versions in the multi-player and not the vanilla launch night settings.
These are the same people who like SMG starts, resist BR starts as much as possible, have little understanding of underlying competitive game mechanics, and think it's funny when they can't put up more than single digits in Slayer games against the Pro Team on maps and games they built.

SMG spawns on Foundation seems like a perfectly good time to them. Plasma rifle spawns on Midship are fun and quirky!

Plus they obviously just don't care. It's been three months now and they can't be bothered to change the pourer counts or game types to something reasonable.

So much fun playing CE without motion tracker and Halo 3 on a good connection. Decided to play some Halo 4 but that absurd motion tracker turns gameplay to poo, not metaphorical poo, literal poo.

I can't even. It's not fun when you're winning, and it's especially not fun when you're losing. Motion tracker ruins childhoods and turns children into manbabbies.

Think of the kids.

Omni

I'm sooo rusty at Halo right now. I'm barely going even in the few matches I manage to get into

There's something weird about the Xbox controller's sticks. Feels bad //shrug

So much fun playing CE without motion tracker and Halo 3 on a good connection. Decided to play some Halo 4 but that absurd motion tracker turns gameplay to poo, not metaphorical poo, literal poo.

I can't even. It's not fun when you're winning, and it's especially not fun when you're losing. Motion tracker ruins childhoods and turns children into manbabbies.

Think of the kids.

What's a motion tracker?

Doesn't seem to be a "problem" to me...

Don't know what you guys are bitching about, the game's fixed IMO.

lmfao

Scrubs don't use it, good players abuse it. Vote #NoMotionTracker and save our future.

H1hPdki.gif

So the picture output of my xbox was on the fritz, with random white/black screens, static, artifacts, black boxes, and on and on.

Send my Xbox in, spending an extra $12 for expedited shipping. It got there in two days, it took them three more days before they got to actually "repairing" it. Then they send it back and it took two weeks to get here. Two weeks to get here from Texas to North Dakota, where one of the most prominent highways in North America can cut that trip into literally 20 hours, +/- maybe 10 for stopping if the driver is a lazy fuck

And the FUCKING THING ISN'T EVEN FIXED

Not ONE DAY AFTER I GET MY XBOX BACK the shit is happening AGAIN. Yay white screens. Yay static. Yay picture cutting out in the middle of a game or netflix or a blu ray or whatever the fuck I happen to be doing.

Microsoft is really letting me down on this shit. Speedy where art thou? First my Xbox starts going to shit but I ignore, then MCC comes out and shits the bed, then the Xbox goes so bad I can't even see the screen for 4 out of every five minutes, then I'm without the thing for 3 weeks, then I get it back and it's as bad as it was before.

Nothing. Not a damn thing changed except that I was without my xbox for three weeks and I got a month of Xbox Live for my troubles and $22.xx that I spent on the repair.

What a fucking joke. Off topic as hell but I don't know where else to complain.

I want to thank Spartan3PC for joining me, and the rest of the fellow doofus (doofi?) Who invited me into their party and session. Played some BTB matchmaking, customs in H2A, and campaign in Halo 4.

It was a rare good night.

So the picture output of my xbox was on the fritz, with random white/black screens, static, artifacts, black boxes, and on and on.

Send my Xbox in, spending an extra $12 for expedited shipping. It got there in two days, it took them three more days before they got to actually "repairing" it. Then they send it back and it took two weeks to get here. Two weeks to get here from Texas to North Dakota, where one of the most prominent highways in North America can cut that trip into literally 20 hours, +/- maybe 10 for stopping if the driver is a lazy fuck

And the FUCKING THING ISN'T EVEN FIXED

Not ONE DAY AFTER I GET MY XBOX BACK the shit is happening AGAIN. Yay white screens. Yay static. Yay picture cutting out in the middle of a game or netflix or a blu ray or whatever the fuck I happen to be doing.

Microsoft is really letting me down on this shit. Speedy where art thou? First my Xbox starts going to shit but I ignore, then MCC comes out and shits the bed, then the Xbox goes so bad I can't even see the screen for 4 out of every five minutes, then I'm without the thing for 3 weeks, then I get it back and it's as bad as it was before.

Nothing. Not a damn thing changed except that I was without my xbox for three weeks and I got a month of Xbox Live for my troubles and $22.xx that I spent on the repair.

What a fucking joke. Off topic as hell but I don't know where else to complain.

I know you're not a moron, and I'm sure you already did it, but did you check both the port you use for your Xbone and the cable you use?

And #noADS-SmartscopeBS either

Nah, I kinda dig Smart Scope. Motion Tracker is balls though.

RSB

Banned
Well, can I choose to toggle it back to the Halo zoom we know and love? Pwease?
A classic scope toggle? Sorry, makes too much sense, not gonna happen.

Also, including that option would take too much work (a circle in the middle of the screen is really hard, you know?) and 343 would likely prefer to use those resources to include more "modern shooter stuff" like, IDK, random loot or something.

Booshka

I still prefer Smart-Link, back when my gun was cybernetically linked with my Spartan, so I wouldn't need to waste time and valuable combat awareness Aiming Down Sights.

Rewrite the lore, rename the zooming mechanic, successfully shoehorn ADS into Halo.

RSB

Banned
FTFY.

And yes, I definetly agree. Having the gun in the middle of the screen every time you zoom is amazing, especially when combined with the muzzle flash of the weapon when you shoot. Such realism, much inmersion, wow. Nobody in their right mind would prefer the old zoom, way too clean and elegant, needs more pointless visual clutter.

Exactly. Just needs a few filters and its purrfect.
Yep, ADS is awesome.

I hope Counter Strike includes it soon too. Seriously Valve, what is this nonsense? Not having half my screen obstructed when I zoom feels archaic as fuck. It's 2015, not 1998, FFS. Get with the times.

I still prefer Smart-Link, back when my gun was cybernetically linked with my Spartan, so I wouldn't need to waste time and valuable combat awareness Aiming Down Sights.

Rewrite the lore, rename the zooming mechanic, successfully shoehorn ADS into Halo.

Booshka you are a good egg ;)

I think people only say it's the bane because it took attention and the spot light off halo

Then you go in COD and everyone who jumps before shooting is screamed at by people to 'go back to halo with that crap'

It's a vicious cycle

That happens?
What use would hopping then ADSing provide anyway? To somehow warrant anger.

FTFY.

And yes, I definetly agree. Having the gun in the middle of the screen every time you zoom is amazing, especially when combined with the muzzle flash of the weapon when you shoot. Such realism, much inmersion, wow. Nobody in their right mind would prefer the old zoom, way too clean and elegant, needs more pointless visual clutter.

Exactly. Just needs a few filters and its purrfect.

willow ve

This post was good to wake up to. Thank you Booshka.

Akai__

No.. Scoping the BR with the left trigger felt right! Like it was meant to be..

I miss it playing the halo p2p collection.

I still throw atleast two grenades a day by pressing the left trigger. And let's not talk about clamber... Makes me sad :'(

I mean, you could switch to the universal control scheme where LT is always zoom in the MCC, but I guess riding the terrible opinion train is way easier.

Also, people confusing controls all the time? How do you people manage to do this? Because it never happened to me and I played like 10 different FPS games last gen, where I always switched between 3-4 different ones all the time. Played lots of other genres/games and never confused controls with any other game.

I assume this only happens to casuals?

These two know what's up

No they don't.

FTFY.

Yep, ADS is awesome.

I hope Counter Strike includes it soon too. Seriously Valve, what is this nonsense? Not having half my screen obstructed when I zoom feels archaic as fuck. It's 2015, not 1998, FFS. Get with the times.

Yup, pretty much this. I want every FPS game to play the same and I don't need variety in my games.

It's not like I played Halo for almost two decades, because they are different (and a little more difficult). Nope, definitely not the reason.

Top Bottom