• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

daedalius

Every time it came up when playing the beta, I had a WTF moment. Truely enraging. For me, it IS different enough to be a game breaker, a deal breaker. And it's aim down fucking sights. Don't FUCKING pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

I am ammending an earlier statement.If we cannot toggle back to a Halo type zoom/scope, then, I will not purchase the game. If I give up some benefits by using the classic scope, so be it. Don't tell me it's better, tell me I'm given a choice.

byeeeeeeeeeeeee

Booshka

Happy Birthday Ram.

Tomb Raider: Guardians of Light was fantastic, didn't play the full game reboot. I should check out Temple of Osiris when it goes on sale, really liked the isometric puzzle, platform and action gameplay of GoL.

Also, I assume this is an inside joke, but nobody better not be hating on the new lara.
Who could hate on such an underwhelming attempt at a Batman Uncharted game.

That game could have been so great.

But yes, it's an in joke, me and Ram give each other shit on how different we feel about it.

Happy Birthday Ram.

Tomb Raider: Guardians of Light was fantastic, didn't play the full game reboot. I should check out Temple of Osiris when it goes on sale, really liked the isometric puzzle, platform and action gameplay of GoL.
Temple of Osiris is on sale with its season pass on XB1. Purchased it the other day.

Never played GoL despite hearing great things about it, so I'm excited to play this with some friends.

Ramirez

Happy Birthday Ram.

Thanks.

I will say this about the reboot, I have no idea how much is pissed on the old games, because I never played them outside of a one night rental of the original TR when I rented a PS1 system years ago, lol.

It's like Uncharted, but every game system is simply better.

Happy birthday Ram!!!!

Season passes on the other hand, crazy.

After the Destiny clusterfuck, never again...

There is one thing though with Halo 5's ADS, it does give a buff to all weapons when smart scope is engaged...that in my opinion is bad for full-autos.

Aren't they removing Autos' ADS bonus for retail?

Tomb Raider is awesome, what kinda SHIT is being spewed in this thread now??

HaloSHIT |OT| Opinions.

I still can't believe people hate Tomb Raider. Not being a fan? Okay, but hate? How? It's soooo fucking good.

byeeeeeeeeeeeee

Daaaaayuuuum, cold blooded.

xpshutdownlogo1950.gif

jem0208

Every time it came up when playing the beta, I had a WTF moment. Truely enraging. For me, it IS different enough to be a game breaker, a deal breaker. And it's aim down fucking sights. Don't FUCKING pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

I am ammending an earlier statement.If we cannot toggle back to a Halo type zoom/scope, then, I will not purchase the game. If I give up some benefits by using the classic scope, so be it. Don't tell me it's better, tell me I'm given a choice.
I really can't understand how something as small as this could cause such a problem. Why let yourself get so angry over such an issue this small? It doesn't affect the gameplay to any large extent.

Also, happy birthday Ram and Tomb Raider 2013 was awesome.

I really can't understand how something as small as this could cause such a problem. Why let yourself get so angry over such an issue this small? It doesn't affect the gameplay to any large extent.

Also, happy birthday Ram and Tomb Raider 2013 was awesome.

Typing slow, to ensure reading for comprehension. It was not small to me. It literally caused me to give ip zooming in because it was VISUALLY too different and game breaking for me. Not on paper, not in concept, IN the freaking game. It was not fun, and not Halo for me.

Now, I tried to go with it, tried to use the mechanic after reading posts,but I got owned even harder everytime, and got called out by teamates for being a "badkid" in the lobby afterwards. I'm a grown woman, fuck that.

jem0208

Typing slow, to ensure reading for comprehension. It was not small to me. It literally caused me to give ip zooming in because it was VISUALLY too different and game breaking for me. Not on paper, not in concept, IN the freaking game. It was not fun, and not Halo for me.

Now, I tried to go with it, tried to use the mechanic after reading posts,but I got owned even harder everytime, and got called out by teamates for being a "badkid" in the lobby afterwards. I'm a grown woman, fuck that.
Alright, I'll rephrase. I don't understand how it can be such a big issue.

It's effects on the gameplay are minimal at most. I flat out don't believe that you were regularly getting beaten because of it. Is it possible you were just generally not that great at the game?

As for the shit talk, that's pretty par for the course on Halo. It's definitely not a good thing though but it's been prevalent on all of them.

RSB

Banned
It may not be a big issue to you, but it is for others. Not that hard to understand.

Anyway, there is an easy solution, but 343 doesn't want to add a classic scope toggle for some reason...

Well that's what I'm curious about. Why is it a bit issue?
As I said on the last page, I cannot stand the added delay caused by the ADS animation, and I hate having the middle of the screen obstructed by the weapon (and its muzzle flash) when I zoom. The reduced spread on some weapons is pretty horrible too (the SMG is ridiculous)

Those things may not bother you, but they are incredibly annoying to me.

Biggest differences as to why I'm not in favor of ADS for precision weapons that would traditionally use a 2x or greater scope:

- There's a distinct inversion and subversion of usual practice where rather than leaving your foreground center-view fully visible and your background peripherals translucent and obscured, your foreground is partially visible - obscured by a fully opaque gun model - and your background peripherals are next to impossible to gauge because, while not blacked out, motion blurring completely fazes out any notion of peripheral vision.

- Presentation. All of the overlaid HUD elements and intricate in-your-face gun models are not something I need, especially not in the case of the Light Rifle's peripheral glowy emitter scope things blocking off the peripherals of what's otherwise the most faithful precision weapon scope, Sniper notwithstanding. The transition between FOVs is also fairly jarring and the effects piled on top of that ultimately serve to slow down the mechanic itself.

For precision weapons, I'd much prefer a traditional scope because it allows you to zoom in faster, still gives you nearly full view of your screen real estate, and the FOV modifications are made much less blatant. It kind of ruins the magic for me and makes me feel more "tunnel vision" than "focusing on target." I also used traditional scopes to gauge out peripherals and enemy territory just as often as I was trying (and failing) to headshot people. While it wasn't 100% reliable now, it's now mechanically impossible to view certain areas at the forefront unless you move where you're aiming your gun - and zooming in with an ADS Battle Rifle blurs the edges to the point where I have to be physically aiming at a target to see what I want to see.

That being said, I think Smart Scope style-over-substance ADS would be fine for automatics or weapons that otherwise wouldn't have a scope beyond the built-in "visor zoom" thing, such as the Needler. Improved spread needs to go, though.

It's effects on the gameplay are minimal at most. I flat out don't believe that you were regularly getting beaten because of it. Is it possible you were just generally not that great at the game?

As for the shit talk, that's pretty par for the course on Halo. It's definitely not a good thing though but it's been prevalent on all of them.

damn-friday-o.gif

You cannot be this much off the mark for reading comprehension. And of course, by doing so twists the meaning. You "can't believe" so I must be lying-about my own perceptions and preferences, LOL! Well, I...I....shesh, I'll just leave this here.

triple-facepalm-picard-812.jpg

Edit: And what Sub-zero@aStarbucks & GringoSuave89 said :p

The Chief photo has some speculations I find interesting:

• Pistol dropped by his right hand, suggests he has spent all other ammo and pistol is a last stand weapon
  • "They" bombed the heck out of him, there is fresh rumble covering his feet/legs
  • The high calibre bullet holes and angles of damage suggest aerial support against Chief. This could be the opposite as it appears a bomb was dropped in the lower right of the image, which shows a crater, and the damage on the right side of the memorial so Chief was blown back and to the left.
  • What is that cannister in the bottom left?
  • Chief's visor doesn't appear to have the damage from the comics?

jem0208

It may not be a big issue to you, but it is for others. Not that hard to understand.

Anyway, there is an easy solution, but 343 doesn't want to add a classic scope toggle for some reason...
Well that's what I'm curious about. Why is it a bit issue?

For example, this is an excellent post on the matter and gives genuine reasons for disliking it.
Biggest differences as to why I'm not in favor of ADS for precision weapons that would traditionally use a 2x or greater scope:

- There's a distinct inversion and subversion of usual practice where rather than leaving your foreground center-view fully visible and your background peripherals translucent and obscured, your foreground is partially visible - obscured by a fully opaque gun model - and your background peripherals are next to impossible to gauge because, while not blacked out, motion blurring completely fazes out any notion of peripheral vision.

- Presentation. All of the overlaid HUD elements and intricate in-your-face gun models are not something I need, especially not in the case of the Light Rifle's peripheral glowy emitter scope things blocking off the peripherals of what's otherwise the most faithful precision weapon scope, Sniper notwithstanding. The transition between FOVs is also fairly jarring and the effects piled on top of that ultimately serve to slow down the mechanic itself.

For precision weapons, I'd much prefer a traditional scope because it allows you to zoom in faster, still gives you nearly full view of your screen real estate, and the FOV modifications are made much less blatant. It kind of ruins the magic for me and makes me feel more "tunnel vision" than "focusing on target." I also used traditional scopes to gauge out peripherals and enemy territory just as often as I was trying (and failing) to headshot people. While it wasn't 100% reliable now, it's now mechanically impossible to view certain areas at the forefront unless you move where you're aiming your gun - and zooming in with an ADS Battle Rifle blurs the edges to the point where I have to be physically aiming at a target to see what I want to see.

That being said, I think Smart Scope style-over-substance ADS would be fine for automatics or weapons that otherwise wouldn't have a scope beyond the built-in "visor zoom" thing, such as the Needler. Improved spread needs to go, though.

I personally don't think they're that major however that's not the point.

jem0208

You cannot be this much off the mark for reading comprehension. And of course, by doing so twists the meaning. You "can't believe" so I must be lying-about my own perceptions and preferences, LOL! Well, I...I....shesh, I'll just leave this here.

What? How is my reading comprehension off at all?

Now, I tried to go with it, tried to use the mechanic after reading posts,but I got owned even harder everytime,

What exactly does this mean then?

I never claimed you were lying about your preferences. I said that I don't believe that the mechanic was causing you to regularly lose. Which is what I was interpreting the above to be implying.

Maybe you should write more clearly before you start claiming I have poor reading comprehension.

Haha, this is brilliant.

(taken from the gaming side thread)

What does this thread talk about these days?

Same shit we've been talking about for months.

Oh and apparently Lara Croft.

The biggest thing about Smart Scope is just the gun being on screen. Some people hate it, some don't. I'm in the latter, but I get the former. There's classic control options to hopefully pacify people. Otherwise, why argue? It's here to stay, just like sprint.

If the changes are enough to make you quit one option for leisure activity, you'll be missed, but I got other people to shoot and shoot with. Why argue about it? Live and let live.

-Ryn

Banned
Happy Birthday Ram!

Did I see it was Daddylius's bday as well?

Only thing I can't fathom is people giving 343 more money for Special Editions, especially since we still don't know what'll be in them.

I don't trust 343 enough to give them any more money than the standard edition, and with a bit of luck I'll get that on the cheap as well.
I'm considering the super ultra special edition but I'm not putting anything on it until I find out what it is. I just want cool stuff and fun games.

Haha, this is brilliant.
(taken from the gaming side thread)
lmao that's great

What does this thread talk about these days?
#butts

RSB

Banned
The biggest thing about Smart Scope is just the gun being on screen. Some people hate it, some don't. I'm in the latter, but I get the former. There's classic control options to hopefully pacify people. Otherwise, why argue? It's here to stay, just like sprint.

If the changes are enough to make you quit one option for leisure activity, you'll be missed, but I got other people to shoot and shoot with. Why argue about it? Live and let live.
What would be the point if we didn't? Gaming Discussion and all that.

Anyway, 343 should just make ADS completely cosmetic and include a classic scope toggle. That way, the people that want to see a gun in the middle of the screen every time they zoom can use ADS, and the people that prefer the clarity and elegance of the old zoom can use the classic scope. Win-win. C'mon 343, it's just a circle in the middle of the screen, it can't be that hard, can it?

I would say it's basically nerfed ADS... it's not quite CoD-style, but it's not traditional Halo zoom either. It definitely impacts gameplay but doesn't replicate the full ADS experience, it's its own weird betweeny thing.

As for Jem, don't worry about it. Just remember these handy alternative lyrics whenever you read any of his posts, set to the Quad City DJ's classic.

Come on, ride the train, 'n ride it,
Come on, ride the train,

Ride it

Come on, ride the train, it's the Bad Opinion train

Ride it, woo woo

Come on, ride the train, it's the Bad Opinion traaaaaiiiin

jem0208

I would say it's basically nerfed ADS... it's not quite CoD-style, but it's not traditional Halo zoom either. It definitely impacts gameplay but doesn't replicate the full ADS experience, it's its own weird betweeny thing.

As for Jem, don't worry about it. Just remember these handy alternative lyrics whenever you read any of his posts, set to the Quad City DJ's classic.

Come on, ride the train,

Ride it

Ride it, woo woo

</3

• Pistol dropped by his right hand, suggests he has spent all other ammo and pistol is a last stand weapon
  • "They" bombed the heck out of him, there is fresh rumble covering his feet/legs
  • The high calibre bullet holes and angles of damage suggest aerial support against Chief. This could be the opposite as it appears a bomb was dropped in the lower right of the image, which shows a crater, and the damage on the right side of the memorial so Chief was blown back and to the left.

Looks like the UNSC have a spare custom unique spare cortana made helmet because he got a new one in the last comic before ragequit the UNSC.

Come on, ride the train,

Ride it

Ride it, woo woo

Because developing games that give choices to both players is too hard.

PS thank you PrinzEugn

Happy B day Ramo, countdown to 30 begins now.

Poor Bravo having to grin and front that 15 minute HCS vid when the whole thing is dead cuz of MCC. The whole MCC debacle has been a gigantic waste of everyone's time - the fans', MS and 343's.

VinFTW

Happy B day Ramo, countdown to 30 begins now.

Poor Bravo having to grin and front that 15 minute HCS vid when the whole thing is dead cuz of MCC. The whole MCC debacle has been a gigantic waste of everyone's time - the fans', MS and 343's.

He's very proud of that video, he loves doing that stuff (according to his recent post on Team Beyond).

He's excited to do more and bring the HCS to better places...

..let's hope 343 gives him a working game soon to help him (and the rest of the HCS team) out.

Happy Birthday Ram and that other guy!

Because developing games that give choices to both players is too hard.

PS thank you PrinzEugn

As they say in the land of Orochinagis, you are welcome-o.

Personally, I'm not sure why you would do so badly trying to ADS. I don't really like it as-implemented (whatever it is), but I didn't find it really hard to use.

Ah, ah, ah, ah, ah
I think I can, I think I can
I think I can, I think I can

Heroic last stand against hordes of SIVs when the Arbiter comes in, rescues him, and off they go they on a galaxy saving duet/
musical

If Smart Link and classic scope co-exists won't it introduce some balance issues? Like classic scope DMR would have a vision advantage over a Smart Link DMR user?

(Yes I admit Smart Link is inferior to classic scope)

Also happy bday Ram TR 2013 is fucking awesome.

Top Bottom